Are IAF assets protected from EMP effects and CBRN threats ?

Abhinav Dharma

Lol! How can a Electromagnetic Pulse get 'destroyed by a missile'?

Here's a template of mainland USA for a nuke explosion at different altitudes. All unprotected and un-shielded electronic equipment within the respective circles would be fried.

well its carrier not the pulse itslef

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
And Razor, that's the question. The IAF is aware of the whole EMP issue but what has it done to harden assets. But I remember simulations which suggest faraday cages - well connected metal rebars in HAS and metal hangars can protect stored items - that and moving stuff underground.
Well-designed faraday's cages, redundant circuitry, using special alloys, underground bunkers etc are used to protect against EMP.
But I doubt any of these can guarantee 100% protection against all types of EMP attack.

I don't know what the IAF is doing but they better be ready, China's got it which means so do paks.

sbm

Country flag
100% no but minimize yes and I agree IAF better be prepared. That said Milstd equipment has a certain level of EMP resistance as indicated in RfPs but a massive EMP strike ? Not so good. Underground bunkers are perhaps the best way.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
100% no but minimize yes and I agree IAF better be prepared. That said Milstd equipment has a certain level of EMP resistance as indicated in RfPs but a massive EMP strike ? Not so good. Underground bunkers are perhaps the best way.
Maybe. Most of this is classified info for eg: the types and scales of EMP generated by nuclear weapons, and so we only know the open source stuff and speculate the rest.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Once the gamma rays from the nuke come, they charge the environment and a conductor type material can produce the potential difference required to damage the ICs etc.
But yes, devices can be hardened against EMP.
Gamma rays from nukes don't matter as nuke destroy everything before hand.
Their has been a lot of advancement in Radiation Harding and EMP that these are minor concern for a professional armed force. They are like a basic requirement and not some ad on high tech feature.

charlie

Country flag
The answer is big No! Even US is not immune to such EMP blast. EMP blast kills all electronic thing resulting blinding the fighter planes, radars, missile networks, computer system, etc. It won't affect anything physically but electronics will render everything temporarily useless.
Your post seems to be in agreement with what i said in my post, or did you mean to say something else.

:notsure:
sorry, I have habit of swallowing words when writing.

I meant to say mig 25 is not immune to EMP, older tech is not immune to EMP either it's worse then the new tech that is coming in, now a days we get few stuff that are immune to EMP but of course not the whole system.

sbm

Country flag
Airbases like Ambala, Gorakhpur and Lohegaon can operate under full CBRN conditions.
There must be more such airbases. I only speak from what I have seen.
Can I ask this? Are the HAS sealed off or only personnel in CBRN gear? I mean if shelters can be completely enclosed to prevent contamination of aircraft ? Or how are they protected and all the equipment in the hangars.

Imaxxx

"Shaktimev Jayate" - Strength Alone Triumphs
Country flag
Once the gamma rays from the nuke come, they charge the environment and a conductor type material can produce the potential difference required to damage the ICs etc.
But yes, devices can be hardened against EMP.
Is the danger to aircraft circuits from the effect of the EMP blast alone which I'm guessing may range from a few seconds to a few minutes, or is it also from the lingering nuclear irradiated environment?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles