ArcelorMittal scraps Rs. 40,000 crore steel project in Odisha: report

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
ArcelorMittal scraps Rs. 40,000 crore steel project in Odisha: report

ArcelorMittal scraps Rs 40,000 crore steel project in Odisha: report - NDTVProfit.com

A day after South Korean steel maker scrapped its Rs. 30,000 crore steel mill project in Karnataka, (was this news on any channel ?)UK-based steel company ArcelorMittal has said it is scrapping its 12 mn tonnes per year Odisha project. The company had said it would invest Rs. 40,000 crore in the project.

According to reports, Arcelor is exiting the project since it was unable to get the land and mines necessary.

The company will continue with its projects in Jharkhand and Karnataka.

ArcelorMittal had planned to construct the integrated steel plant in Keonjhar and had signed an MoU with the state government in December 2006.

Blackwater

Re: ArcelorMittal scraps Rs. 40,000 crore steel project in Odisha: rep

Mittal ran from India to avoid red tapism. why he want to invest in India again ???

drkrn

Mittal ran from India to avoid red tapism. why he want to invest in India again ???
easy returns,now cancelling the project due to problems with land aquisition

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag

FDI ??? Going instead of Coming ??

TrueSpirit

Mining is not a long-term sustainable venture (hallmark of primary economies)...so the repercussions of this development are debatable.

t_co

Mining is not a long-term sustainable venture (hallmark of primary economies)...so the repercussions of this development are debatable.
Except there will be a large steel mill on site as well, so this is not just a mine.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag

Mining (and natural resource extraction in general) is notoriously related to things like corruption, environmental destruction and public health disasters; however if you look closely the act of mining itself isn't the primary problem, but rather the lack of appropriate oversight. This is precisely why mining in most parts of the under developed world with incompetent and corrupt governments is disastrous (particularly Central Asia and Africa) while developed countries with functional institutions like Australia, Canada and USA have benefited tremendously from their local mining ventures.

The true repercussion here isn't the failure of the mining project but rather the absolute ineptitude of the Indian establishment to manage large ventures effectively due to incompetence, corruption and laziness and the subsequent aversion by multinational companies. Gone are the days when India was touted to be the "next great thing", now for many foreign investors India has become an acronym for "I'll never do it again."

TrueSpirit

Mining (and natural resource extraction in general) is notoriously related to things like corruption, environmental destruction and public health disasters; however if you look closely the act of mining itself isn't the primary problem, but rather the lack of appropriate oversight. This is precisely why mining in most parts of the under developed world with incompetent and corrupt governments is disastrous (particularly Central Asia and Africa) while developed countries with functional institutions like Australia, Canada and USA have benefited tremendously from their local mining ventures.

The true repercussion here isn't the failure of the mining project but rather the absolute ineptitude of the Indian establishment to manage large ventures effectively due to incompetence, corruption and laziness and the subsequent aversion by multinational companies. Gone are the days when India was touted to be the "next great thing", now for many foreign investors India has become an acronym for "I'll never do it again."
Adding to your post.....not only foreign investors are getting increasingly averse of India, majority of Indian industrial groups & conglomerates prefer investing outside India. In fact, there are still several new companies entering India for setting up offices, while existing ones are adding numbers & expanding presence at a hectic pace but it is the mostly the Indian investor that is deserting India for he sees little hope here.

We deserve this. Our people chose this government. Lets see if the electorate can get its act together rather than being swayed by populist freebies, caste reservations, free booze & empty rhetoric. Also, the upper middle-class & elite needs to shed its habitual apathy & passivity.

I have been in & out of India in last 8 years & have seen quite a bit: up, close & personal.

Media hype makes India a "big-thing" & its the same factor that advertises India as a "damp squib" or a "failed story". The reality is, truth lies somewhere in the middle.

India would never be really become a "big thing" but neither would India ever stop growing (at least for the next 50 years).

I wont prognosticate much but it is a given certainty that India would continue to get only better for more & more numbers of its people. There is no stopping this juggernaut. Not anymore. Forces already set in motion would ensure that the march towards betterment continues.

There are too may factors at play here & unless one understands the dynamics of their interplay, he is susceptible to form phony & half-baked notions about India.

Numbers are the closest one gets to the "absolute truth" & yet numbers alone won't give you the complete picture. The objective reality here is in stark contrast to what is being fashionably reported by media columnists & wannabe experts.

The real Indian story doesn't get much coverage. The picture here is more rosy as well as bleaker, simultaneously, depending upon who is the subject of your interest.

TrueSpirit

Except there will be a large steel mill on site as well, so this is not just a mine.
The whole story starts with mining & I earnestly expect you to have some high-level understanding of the mining sector here (think, regulatory environment, land-acquisitions norms, bureaucratic steeplechases, neta-babu-seth-thekedaar nexus, etc.).

If you understand it, you would appreciate the fact that such ventures are more likely to fail in India than anywhere else. In fact, it was destined to be a non-starter.

And, wonder of wonders !!! We could do without this investment !!!

Lets see whether the moolah really gets to where horse's mouth is.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

ArcelorMittal sees the China boom is over, no need for excess capacity.

ladder

Country flag

AM has two ongoing projects in Karnataka and Jharkhand.

No way they could have gone ahead with three greenfield projects.

They had signed three MoUs in anticipation. Had they got land in time they could have continued.

There might have been in significant land acquisition in other two project site, so they decided to scrap the third MoU.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag

Adding to your post.....not only foreign investors are getting increasingly averse of India, majority of Indian industrial groups & conglomerates prefer investing outside India. In fact, there are still several new companies entering India for setting up offices, while existing ones are adding numbers & expanding presence at a hectic pace but it is the mostly the Indian investor that is deserting India for he sees little hope here.

We deserve this. Our people chose this government. Lets see if the electorate can get its act together rather than being swayed by populist freebies, caste reservations, free booze & empty rhetoric. Also, the upper middle-class & elite needs to shed its habitual apathy & passivity.

I have been in & out of India in last 8 years & have seen quite a bit: up, close & personal.

Media hype makes India a "big-thing" & its the same factor that advertises India as a "damp squib" or a "failed story". The reality is, truth lies somewhere in the middle.

India would never be really become a "big thing" but neither would India ever stop growing (at least for the next 50 years).

I wont prognosticate much but it is a given certainty that India would continue to get only better for more & more numbers of its people. There is no stopping this juggernaut. Not anymore. Forces already set in motion would ensure that the march towards betterment continues.

There are too may factors at play here & unless one understands the dynamics of their interplay, he is susceptible to form phony & half-baked notions about India.

Numbers are the closest one gets to the "absolute truth" & yet numbers alone won't give you the complete picture. The objective reality here is in stark contrast to what is being fashionably reported by media columnists & wannabe experts.

The real Indian story doesn't get much coverage. The picture here is more rosy as well as bleaker, simultaneously, depending upon who is the subject of your interest.
Excellent post. I agree with virtually everything you say. Admittedly my perception of India is entirely that of an outsider however I'm certainly aware of the contradictory nature of virtually everything in India. I also agree with the assertion that India is unlikely become the "next great thing" and more likely to amble along slowly. However I'm not sure it can automatically roll on for 5 decades. This process can very easily be undone in a matter of a few years if certain measures aren't taken in the short to medium term. Even if growth isn't achieved at a "miraculous" breakneck pace it has to be genuine, robust, and sustainable. I'm convinced that the only way to achieve this is by strengthening critical institutions of economic management and democracy now.

What sucks about the Indian mining industry (especially in south India) is that it is specifically designed to undermine these two critical growth factors. The infamous Reddy brothers for instance worked hard to destroy the democratic process from within (by bribing their way into political office) in order to enrich themselves and applied an economic model designed to hoard all the profits for themselves. This is essentially the colonial model of wealth extraction.

I'm not aware of the nuances of Indian politics, however I don't know if merely changing political representation will achieve anything if the new government continues using alternate techniques to undermine those two critical factors.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Indians are deserting the sinking ship and we talk about FDI coming in to save the economy!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles