Anybody using Windows 8?

masterdom

Do any of you use Windos8?

How is it? Is it bug free? Is the system crashing?

devgupt

Country flag
Re: Anybody using Windows8?

I am using it on my laptop . It is a new way of using your desktop/laptop.So far no issues. There is indeed a learning curve, but it is enjoyable.

masterdom

I am using it on my laptop . It is a new way of using your desktop/laptop.So far no issues. There is indeed a learning curve, but it is enjoyable.
thanks....,.,

opesys

Do any of you use Windos8?

How is it? Is it bug free? Is the system crashing?
I am using in my laptop too. I think Microsoft's idea is to make the operating system look same on all devices:laptops,tablets,phones....They have made Windows 8 look more like a tablet/phone OS.

From the user interface perspective:

1)Basically after booting you will get a grid menu like how it is in many of the mobile/tablet OSs as of now.
2)Every item in the grid menu is an application which could be preinstalled or anything that you install later.
3)Desktop is one of the apps arranged in the grid. It looks same like before but it is not open by default like before.
4)There is no start menu at the left corner of the screen like before. To start/open an application go to the grid menu every time and open it and close when done.

If one keeps thinking of traditional desktop OSs and use windows 8 then they will get confused for sure. You should think of it like using tablet/phone OSs then arrangement and navigation of apps will make sense.

Regarding crashes I haven't seen any common crashes as of now,

Regarding bugs there is no software in this world which is bug free :)

Regarding performance nothing is different from windows 7. I feel it is little bit sluggish compared to windows 7.

Last edited:

uvbar

when i used it from my friends desktop (for about 5 mins) i felt like i was using a tablet

sob

Mod
Country flag

The question is should I upgrade my kids desktop from Win 7 to Win 8. Is it worth the money?

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Matter of time before another M$ product bites the dust.
A question: do the portable devices and desktop devices run on same kernel? If not, why name them Windows 8, if truly speaking, only the interface is similar?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
My friend bought Windows 8 for some 700 bucks, says it is worth of it and is working smoothly.

Windows ecosystem is slowly evolving. I am no fan of Windows 8 but it is pretty fast.

opesys

The question is should I upgrade my kids desktop from Win 7 to Win 8. Is it worth the money?
If you plan to buy them windows phone or windows tablet in the future then yes it is kinda worth the money...it seems their plan is to eventually make all look similar...tab, phone, desktop and laptops....

Also there are other strong rumors that Kinect will be integrated into windows 8 eventually...not sure when... I am guessing it will take time. Kinect is an awesome product.They are planning for building many other apps for kinect other than just gaming. With this in mind it may be worth it...

As of now don't believe if someone says it is super fast and all that...it is not faster than win 7. Majority of the changes compared to win 7 is in look and feel and not in performance...

Reactions: sob

masterdom

Based on the above, I am not upgrading. Will use W8 for couple of more years.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Matter of time before another M$ product bites the dust."¨A question: do the portable devices and desktop devices run on same kernel? If not, why name them Windows 8, if truly speaking, only the interface is similar?
"¨"¨"©All win8,winRT,wp8 uses same kernel. It's going to be better and better.Sales will increase when prices come down in near future. And looks like you're microsoft hater as you write M$. And a question: Why do you hate MS ?? I find no reason to hate it,infact their products are very good.Some didn't work but most of are good.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag

"¨"¨"©If your kids are curious and love to learn new things than it's worth the money.But I suggest you buy them a touch device running win8 PRO, not winRT. Your kids will be happy.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag

If you plan to buy them windows phone or windows tablet in the future then yes it is kinda worth the money...it seems their plan is to eventually make all look similar...tab, phone, desktop and laptops...."¨"¨Also there are other strong rumors that Kinect will be integrated into windows 8 eventually...not sure when... I am guessing it will take time. Kinect is an awesome product.They are planning for building many other apps for kinect other than just gaming. With this in mind it may be worth it... "¨"¨As of now don't believe if someone says it is super fast and all that...it is not faster than win 7. Majority of the changes compared to win 7 is in look and feel and not in performance...
"¨"¨"©It's faster than win7. Copying files are very fast and improved. Booting time is also very much reduced and shutting down,too. Apps are working like charm. It can run smoothly on low specs device,too where win7 can't work properly. It's better you compare it with win7 on low specs device.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Based on the above, I am not upgrading. Will use W8 for couple of more years.
"¨"¨"©So you won't upgrade and still use w8 ?? If you meant win7 and if you're power user, I highly suggest you to upgrade it.You won't need more than 2 days to learn it. Than you are not coming back to win7.Give it time.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
"¨"¨
All win8,winRT,wp8 uses same kernel. It's going to be better and better.Sales will increase when prices come down in near future. And looks like you're microsoft hater as you write M$. And a question: Why do you hate MS ?? I find no reason to hate it,infact their products are very good.Some didn't work but most of are good.
:lol: to explain "our" position on Microsoft and all non-free software companies, one whole website has been dedicated. Have a read, it's worth it.
What is free software? - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

opesys

"¨"¨"©It's faster than win7. Copying files are very fast and improved. Booting time is also very much reduced and shutting down,too. Apps are working like charm. It can run smoothly on low specs device,too where win7 can't work properly. It's better you compare it with win7 on low specs device.
I know Boot time and shut down time is better but how many times will you restart you computer ? Boot/Shutdown time shouldn't matter...

Regarding the rest of the performance win 8 is only slightly better than win 7....trust me you won't notice the performance difference...

Let's See How Windows 8 Performs Against Windows 7

Windows-8 has a touch screen driver built-in.The best time to buy Windows-8 is when touch screen monitors are available for good rates...I know LG has announced one already... With touch screen monitor, Kinect and some good apps in the their store it will be really worthy of money...

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag

I know Boot time and shut down time is better but how many times will you restart you computer ? Boot/Shutdown time shouldn't matter..."¨"¨Regarding the rest of the performance win 8 is only slightly better than win 7....trust me you won't notice the performance difference..."¨"¨Let's See How Windows 8 Performs Against Windows 7"¨"¨Windows-8 has a touch screen driver built-in.The best time to buy Windows-8 is when touch screen monitors are available for good rates...I know LG has announced one already... With touch screen monitor, Kinect and some good apps in the their store it will be really worthy of money...
"¨"¨"©I do restart my computer frequently. And copying files is very fast. As I said you can feel it on low specs devices. The touch optimization is very good as I see it on demo videos. It's actually for Tablets so win8 can run easily on low specs and ARM version is also out.Desktop mode option is always there so I think it's a perfect combo. And it's better to use it now to decrease learning curve.

jalsa

Just installed it on the Ideapad, seems faster than Windows 7 and also it uses less resources as its designed to work on low spec hardware. The annoying thing is desktop is limited, I mean there is no aero peek and all the things are in 2D.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles