Anti-Modi Resolution in America

Eesh

This is Ideal Example of American Policy which Hugely Controlled extremist christens which Pushing completely Out of reach Foreign country Affairs with baseless things .

WASHINGTON: A controversial Congressional resolution, which among other things asks the American administration to maintain its policy of not issuing visa to BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, now has more than 50 co-sponsors.

Rush Holt from New Jersey and Barbara Lee from California are the two lawmakers to have signed onto the resolution (H Res 417), thus taking the number of co-sponsors to 51.

The bipartisan resolution was introduced by Congressmen Keith Ellison from the Democratic Party and Joe Pitts from the Republican Party last November. (Christen Extremist)

Since then it has not only become an issue of contention among various Indian American groups, but also several lawmakers have questioned the intention of introducing such a resolution.

Several Congressmen have withdrawn too as its co-sponsors, but with Holt and Lee this week being the latest entrants, the total number of sponsor to this controversial resolution yesterday stood at 51 from nearly 30 states, of which 26 are Republican and 25 are from the Democratic Party.

The resolution also asks to include religious freedom and human rights as part of the Strategic Dialogue between the two countries.

It praises India's "rich religious diversity and commitment to tolerance and equality," while raising concerns over the "erosion" of religious freedom.

The resolution, the bipartisan Congressional Research Service (CRS) in its summary, recognises the suffering of Indian citizens who have been victims of religious violence, and also highlights the alleged role of Modi in the 2002 communal violence in Gujarat.

It declares that the House of Representatives shares the opinion of the Department of State and the US Commission on International Religious Freedom that the Gujarat government has not adequately pursued justice for the victims of religious violence in 2002 and expresses concern regarding reports about the alleged complicity of local officials.

It commends the US government for exercising its authority in 2005 under the International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 to deny a US visa to Narendra Modi on the grounds of religious freedom violations, and encourages it to review the applications of any individuals implicated in such violations under the same standard, the CRS said.

The resolution commends the role of India's National Human Rights Commission and the Supreme Court, which has led to some convictions in Gujarat riot cases and the arrest of high-level leaders in the Gujarati administration.

The Times of India: Latest News India, World & Business News, Cricket & Sports, Bollywood

Evangelicals, Indian expats behind US visa ban on Modi
Don'tb give a hoot. PM should get confidence vote of our LS, not of a foreign parliament.

Eesh

That is just damn funny.

I suppose Yanks are just supposed to lie down and take abuse on DFI.:okay:

[MOD Edit: Stop it!]
Know what double standards mean? Not you.

Is Saudi ruling class barred from USA? NO. Haha. Do Saudis give complete religious freedom to non muslims? In Yankee estimates, perhaps yes.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
I think folks here on DFI sometimes overstate the importance of these dumb resolutions by small groups of US congressman driven by their evangelical or whatever lobbyist base.

Evangelicals get a lot of publicity. A lot of the conservative republican establishment give them a great deal of publicity when they are running in local primaries.
The fact of the matter is, hardly cares about what these guys want when they run in the national elections.
The do the same thing that all politicians do......they move to the far right when running in the local elections, and then move back to the center in the national elections.

The so called "political clout" of the evangelicals is more of a myth. They make a lot of noise in local Republican elections......but that is as far as it goes.
The same can be said of the Tea-Party guys......Every Republican wants to seen with them in the local elections, but once it gets to national elections - they become "untouchables".

Basically the political establishment uses these people and their fervor, and then dumps them because in most cases their ideas and agenda are too out of whack with the views and values of the general population.

As I have said before in this forum.....the folks in the State Department and in the White House couldn't care less about these stupid resolutions, and regardless of who becomes PM of India.....relations between 2 big countries like this are not going to be impacted by events like this.

BTW: Keith Ellison is a nobody in US politics....most Americans wouldn't even recognize his name.

Last edited:

bose

Country flag
I think folks here on DFI sometimes overstate the importance of these dumb resolutions by small groups of US congressman driven by their evangelical or whatever lobbyist base.

Evangelicals get a lot of publicity. A lot of conservative republican establishment give them a great deal of publicity when they are running in local primaries.
The fact of the matter, hardly cares about what these guys want when they run in the national elections.
The do the same thing that all politicians do......they move to the far right when running in local elections, and then move back to the center in the national elections.

The so called "political clout" of the evangelicals is more of a myth. They make a lot of noise in local Republican elections......but that is as far as it goes.
The same can be said of the Tea-Party guys......Every Republican wants to seen with them in the local elections, but once it gets to national elections - they become "untouchables".

Basically the political establishment uses these people and their fervor and then dumps them.

As I have said before in this forum.....the folks in the State Department and in the White House couldn't care less about these stupid resolutions, and regardless of who becomes PM of India.....relations between 2 big countries like this are not going to be impacted by events like this.
I get your point... but how can the issuance of VISA to an individual [Read MODI] who happens to be a very important political leader be influenced by such groups of people ??

Last edited:

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
I get your point... but how can the issuance of VISA to an individual [Read MODI] who happens to be a very important political leader be influenced by such groups of people ??
You didn't fully get my point...if Modi becomes PM.....no one is going to deny the PM of India a Visa.

bose

Country flag
You didn't fully get my point...if Modi becomes PM.....no one is going to deny the PM of India a Visa.
I know Modi will get the VISA once he becomes PM... my point is why allow such groups to dictate terms on who should or should not get VISA... granting VISA is a state subject and moreover Modi is been given a clean chit by the highest court of the land... Modi is neither criminal nor a terrorist... just based on ideological difference playing silly games are only going to hurt the bilateral relationship...

Indians takes a strong exception to such adhoc behavior although one may not be agree to Modi's ideology.

Last edited:

Compersion

Country flag
What had galled those close to Modi, bureaucrats and influential American-Indians alike, was all these years, the Roosevelt House had let UPA ministers influence its decisions on a visa to Modi and on whether the Americans should engage with him or not.

"We have reasons to believe key UPA ministers and a couple of senior bureaucrats convinced the Americans not to engage with Modi," said a source in the BJP.
Read more from the link below:

Modi-Powell meet sealed US envoy's future in India | Business Standard

I believe that the BJP will put the blame on the UPA and not internal and USA policies. One can say it was a favor for the UPA. Like how USA diplomats got treated well and suddenly there was a log-jam because of UPA and USA broken nexuses.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Know what double standards mean? Not you.

Is Saudi ruling class barred from USA? NO. Haha. Do Saudis give complete religious freedom to non muslims? In Yankee estimates, perhaps yes.
See post #63. It will be explained to you.

pmaitra

Read more from the link below:

Modi-Powell meet sealed US envoy's future in India | Business Standard

I believe that the BJP will put the blame on the UPA and not internal and USA policies. One can say it was a favor for the UPA. Like how USA diplomats got treated well and suddenly there was a log-jam because of UPA and USA broken nexuses.
Quoting from the link:

Sources in South Block say the Chinese and Japanese embassies might have better rapport with a Modi-headed Prime Minister's Office, compared to the embassies of the US, the UK, France and Germany.
So, is this a realignment of India's foreign policy?

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
i must explain why i visited the page of a certain member - it was because being a woman i was feeling sorry (soft)
about the probability of an imminent ban and the possible insinuation that i had played some part ( 0.001%) in it
so i wanted to locate a positive post by the member and give it a "like " and by that, justify to moderators
that the person is not so bad after all - but after observing that a lot of that members posts have been
deleted because of flaming etc etc -many forms of bad behaviour -

i decided against my feminine intuition - let it be ! ( PS : sorry if the post sounds cryptic - those who know, well, they know )

prohumanity

Country flag
The difficulty , these days is that American peoples' will does not matter and corporate crooks run the foreign as well as domestic policy in USA. Public have been marginalized and Obama have been immobilized. Most Americans don't want more wars..they feel bad being looked down as war mongers BUT
they feel helpless and powerless. They are afraid ..phone being listened..e mails/texts being stored.. it's like worse than communism. I tell you with full confidence that Americans are fed up with what's going on but somehow, don't know how to change all this.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles