Anti-Lanka UN resolution adopted, India makes no amendments

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned
Price of voting against Sri Lanka

Whatever the outcome of the Friday, March 22, 2013, vote on the UNHRC resolution against Sri Lanka, the Congress-dominated UPA and the DMK, along with some of the latter's allies in Tamil Nadu have jointly opened the door for a future Western military intervention in Asia under the dubious doctrine of R2P (right to protect), which most recently devastated Libya, failed to establish a post-war puppet regime, and virtually abandoned the country for armed warlords.

Hitherto, New Delhi has always upheld non-interference in the internal affairs of nations. But under the leadership of chairperson Sonia Gandhi, the UPA has been overturning traditional Indian foreign policy, aligning with Western/NATO positions, and ditching traditional allies. Thus, New Delhi voted against Tehran at the International Atomic Energy Agency in 2009, and against Colombo at the UNHRC in 2012, a performance it is set to repeat in 2013.

This is despite the fact that the establishment understands the dangers of a future West-sponsored resolution on Kashmir – an independent Kashmir is an unrealised British goal – which could translate into action in the event of Pakistan's further breakdown. Still, that is in the future.

Western/NATO military intervention for a separate Tamil Eelam, however, could be closer than anticipated, and the UNHRC resolution must be seen as a step in this direction. That is why the Church, which has converted the entire fishermen community along the coast and has a formidable hold on all DMK allies and leaders, has provoked such unrestrained rhetoric by the parties. The Church hand is clearly visible in the participation of Loyola College students in the demonstrations in Chennai, and the public posturing of SP Udayakumar, the public face of the anti-Kudankulam stir.

It bears recollecting that prior to independence, a separate Tamil nation on both sides of the Palk Strait was a colonial agenda. The West is now hastening to revive and implement these old unfinished agendas to achieve full spectrum dominance all over the world. Sadly, under the UPA, New Delhi is proving to be a willing tool in this game, disregarding its traditional anti-imperial and non-aligned status.

After some deft diplomacy by Colombo saw a watering down of Washington's resolution, and the DMK walked out of the UPA coalition, Finance Minister P Chidambaram promised that India would move amendments to the US resolution. He said the UNHRC must adopt a strong resolution to push Sri Lanka to accept an independent and credible investigation into the situation of the Tamil people.

Any diplomat could tell the Minister that this is paving the way for R2P when the West wants to invoke it, and that India could be at the receiving end of such intervention in both Kashmir and Tamil Nadu. Sri Lanka's External Affairs Minister GL Peiris has rightly declared that his country will reject the final draft of the US-sponsored resolution at the UNHRC, which he said seeks to discredit and single out his country over alleged human rights violations. India would do well to heed his warning that such intrusive, biased and politicised actions 'pose a danger for all nations'. Sri Lanka also questions the UN claims of 40,000 civilian deaths in the war; sources put the figure at closer to 7000.

That Colombo needs to do something to assuage the feelings of its Tamil citizens is undeniable. Informed sources say steps are being taken to hold provincial elections in the north and east in 2013, and that preparations have been made by correcting and revising the electoral rolls in 2012. Should genuine political activity under locally elected leaders resume in the provinces, the genuine grievances of the people can gradually be addressed and mitigated by the State. New Delhi should extend all assistance in helping Colombo conduct free and fair polls in the provinces. It is also in our interest that refugees in India return home with a sense of security.

One of the largely ignored impediments to a faster resolution of the problem is the fact that most Tamil leaders of stature in Sri Lanka were murdered by the LTTE (53 elected Lankan Tamil leaders were eliminated from 1977). The Tamil National Alliance leader R Sampanthan is moving cautiously, but may become more assertive after the winning the elections. This would be a step in the right direction.

Notwithstanding his dramatic exit from the tottering UPA, it bears mentioning that DMK leader M Karunanidhi was Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu when the war in Sri Lanka was at its peak in 2009; his assurance that hostilities had ceased helped the regime destroy the LTTE. At that time, Indian intelligence and security agencies helped the island nation defeat that dangerous organisation.

New Delhi must never lose sight of the fact that the Sri Lankan Tamil diaspora, which played a major role in keeping the LTTE supplied with funds and arms and ammunition, has once again become active, doubtless with the covert backing of Western capitals. This means that a Tamil Eelam is again on the front-burner, and that the human rights industry has been deployed against the Rajapaksa Government.

As a corollary, Tamil youth in India are being instigated to support the Tamil Eelam on both sides of the Palk Straits, and photographs of V Prabhakaran are being displayed at public rallies.

What has hurt Colombo is that this year neither of its steady friends, China and Russia, is a member of the UNHRC. This is a serious strategic lacuna, and if the world is to maintain a fair balance of power, these nations must ensure that one of them is always present in major international bodies. Else, it will be a very unipolar world.

New Delhi must realise the importance of preserving the centuries-old ties between India and Sri Lanka, most notably via the States of Odisha and Tamil Nadu. If the UPA is unable to resist the pressure to become a pawn in the geo-strategic power game currently being played out in the Indian Ocean area, India will be the loser.

Price of voting against Sri Lanka | Niti Central

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Re: Price of voting against Sri Lanka

:facepalm: Niti Central. Half if it was based on old commie don't ally with west shyt. Western intervention in Lanka? :facepalm:

Well it will not be a bad thing would it? Bombings destroy Hambantota port and other Chini investments. :D

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

Br ready for IPKF Chapter II ?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Br ready for IPKF Chapter II ?
It depends on Indias policy. If we decide to go against Lanka, then it will and should not be a peace keeping force but pace enforcing force. Split up the island. Make a Tamil state there.

The thing is, we have not made any policy one way or te other. We are just staying aloof which is not right

Vishwarupa

Country flag
ENEVA: India on Thursday voted in favour of UNHRC resolution against Sri Lanka on human rights.

The United States-sponsored resolution at the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva was passed with the support of 25 member countries.

13 countries opposed the US resolution, while 8 abstained from voting.

India expressed concern, but failed to move any amendment as demanded by DMK and other groups in Tamil Nadu.

Earlier participating in the debate, the Indian envoy said, "We encourage Sri Lanka to expedite the process of broad- based, inclusive and meaningful reconciliation."

We note Sri Lanka's invitation to UN Human Rights Commissioner; we urge her to undertake it as early as possible, the envoy said.

The US has tabled the final version of the resolution on Sri Lanka at the 22nd session of the UN Human Rights Council meeting in Geneva.

The resolution was tabled by US ambassador Eileen Chamberlain Donahoe, with co-sponsors including Austria, Canada, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Norway and Britain.

Anti-Lanka UN resolution adopted, India makes no amendments - The Times of India

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
India votes against Sri Lanka, but skips amendments at UNHRC

Geneva: India was among 25 countries that voted against Sri Lanka today at the UN Human Rights Council session in Geneva. However, contrary to the government's announcement yesterday, India did not move any amendments to the resolution sponsored by the US.

"The government has failed," declared an MP from the DMK, which quit the government earlier this week for failing to take a strong stand against Sri Lanka over its alleged war crimes against ethnic Tamils.

The DMK wanted India to push the UN to accuse Sri Lanka of "genocide" and to seek an international inquiry into accusations of mass killings of Tamil civilians.

The resolution adopted by a 25-13 vote at the UN's top human rights body today urges Sri Lanka's government "to initiate credible and independent actions" to ensure justice and accountability for alleged human rights violations and atrocities during the final phase of the civil war which ended in 2009, after government troops crushed the separatist Tamil Tigers.

Today, India's envoy at the UN in Geneva, Dilip Sinha, said, "We reiterate our call for an independent and credible investigation into allegations of human rights violations and loss of civilian lives. We urge Sri Lanka to take forward measures to ensure accountability. We expect these measures to be to the satisfaction of the international community."

India did not call for an international inquiry which would, according to many in the government and the opposition, have amounted to interference in Sri Lanka's internal affairs.

"We have a relationship with Sri Lanka and therefore, we have to use that relationship to arrive at an acceptable level of delivery. That is what bilaterally we will continue to do," said Foreign Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid.

Sources in Geneva say that last night, America shot down India's plans for amendments to the UN resolution, arguing that it was too late to make changes and that any revisions would challenge the broad consensus reached among countries that were ready to vote against Sri Lanka.

Like last year, Pakistan supported Sri Lanka.

India votes against Sri Lanka, but skips amendments at UNHRC | NDTV.com

amoy

another thread on China abt to launch a satellite for SL, what a pleasant coincidence with India's move to further distance SL by causing a short-time embarassment for SL who would easily shrug it off and cozy up with Chini and Pakistan as usual.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

HEILTAMIL

We Indians never understand no matter what we do those sinahelesse srilankan government is going to lean over more and more towards china,
may be a detailed study over their religious practices, historical psychological fears towards big India by our ulteriorly intelligent RAW and IB could help it,
it might help the 1.5 billion srilankans to feel free and continue progress their work towards china, India fails to recognize keeping sympathy for one Gandhi-nehru Md.Bin.Tugloq, who ditched his own mother and grandfathers policy and represnted completely opposite of what the name gandhi represnted and risks the future of its citizens

this move has revived the alienation sense of the 7 billion own Indian citizens,

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Re:

I just watched the program on Shri Lanka genocide of Tamil and Tamil tigers on History channel, it appeared that SL Army has done mass genocide of them :sad:

Last edited:

Blackwater

What was the voting status of Pakistan,bangladesh and china???

tramp

India did suggest half a dozen amendments, but were rejected. India cannot bring in the amendments on its own.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
another thread on China abt to launch a satellite for SL, what a pleasant coincidence with India's move to further distance SL by causing a short-time embarassment for SL who would easily shrug it off and cozy up with Chini and Pakistan as usual.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2
That is correct.

But the geographical proximity cannot be changed unless there is a continental shift or such geological cataclysm.

And the Tamils in SL continue to remain.

tramp

Re:

I just watched the program on Shri Lanka genocide of Tamil and Tamil tigers on History channel, it appeared that SL Army has done mass genocide of them :sad:
Sri Lanka did use excessive force. But I wouldnt term it genocide, because genocide is systematic extermination of an ethnic group and would have begun in places where Sri Lankan Tamils were a minority. LTTE, who hid behind Sri Lankan Tamil women and children using them as human shield, contributed to the toll. There is well documented UN verified evidence that LTTE was using children as soldiers. They were no different from the Palestinians who fire rockets into Israel from heavily populated parts of Gaza and West Bank. When Israel retaliates, those who fired the rockets would have moved away leaving the civilians including women and children to take the brunt... after which the terrorists cry about the deaths of women and children... this was also happening in Sri Lanka towards last phase of the civil war.
Sri Lankan govenrment should be condemned, no doubt. There should be an independent inquiry. But let us not refuse to see the whole picture

HEILTAMIL

@tramp

u r not fit to comment

have u ever considered or read or watched about post-war genocide and ethnic cleansing that is happening in srilanka or why there is protests currntly happening in TN
please watch channel 4 videos, bollywood can wait

even during the war srilankan army were firing at a no-fire zone which was announced as that civilians and the rebels can stay there and surrender, through UN to LTTE by srilankan army, but they were firing at them from both ends of the bridge, the rebels have to shoot as well, victors get to rewrite the history

you can happily shut eyes and ignore the genocide but the moronic propaganda will not serve any purpose, it is recorded in the history of tamil race, which includes 7 billion tamil Indians

i am not a supporter of LTTE or any form of Extremism, neither do all the tamil Indians

LTTE showed diplomacy seeking peace negotiations throughout their history
all i know is that they fought until last men died in battle including their leader, and i am proud that i too belong to the same tamil race as them

but not for the fact that they were extremists, i don't condemn my Indian soldiers who surrendered in mass numbers during 1962 and also that we have lost double more army men in IPKF than 1971, i don't think our Indian army are any less brave or more femiinine, i can reassure that

Last edited by a moderator:

HeinzGud

Country flag
have u ever considered or read or watched about post-war genocide and ethnic cleansing that is happening in srilanka or why there is protests currntly happening in TN
Who take Channel four seriously? Besides name any post war incident of any kind that come even close to genocide.

even during the war srilankan army were firing at a no-fire zone which was announced as that civilians and the rebels can stay there and surrender, through UN to LTTE by srilankan army, but they were firing at them from both ends of the bridge, the rebels have to shoot as well, victors get to rewrite the history
No Fire Zone was declared to civilians not to the LTTE. When LTTE infiltrated in and settled down until rescued by sea it was the end of NFZ.

i am not a supporter of LTTE or any form of Extremism, neither do all the tamil Indians
OK I believe you and LTTE was pure non violent organization. Piribhaharan was like Gandhi.

all i know is that they fought until last men died in battle including their leader, and i am proud that i too belong to the same tamil race as them
You should proud of about the so called leader that hid behind Sarees. LOL Among all only Theepan and his unit was to be admired. Others are just cowered little chickens.

Fought until last man.... :rofl: Piribhaharan was brought to Colombo before he was executed by axing the head. :p

tramp

@tramp

u r not fit to comment

you can happily shut eyes and ignore the genocide but the moronic propaganda will not serve any purpose, it is recorded in the history of tamil race, which includes 7 billion tamil Indians

but not for the fact that they were extremists, i don't condemn my Indian soldiers who surrendered in mass numbers during 1962 and also that we have lost double more army men in IPKF than 1971, i don't think our Indian army are any less brave or more femiinine, i can reassure that
I reiterate my position that Sri Lankan army's excesses should be inquired by an independent agency, an international agency if possible. I believe they did commit excesses and did commit human rights violations. The perpetrators should be punished.

I do not believe there has been genocide in Sri Lanka. Genocide is systematic ethnic cleansing which the war against LTTE was not.

If LTTE lost public sympathy in India, do not blame Indians. Prabhakaran, blinded by power, bit the hand that fed him and paid the price.

I do not think it was valour when children were used as soldiers and they hid behind women and children.
I refuse to comment on your pointless innuendos about Indian Army's lack of efficiency while fighting LTTE.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
100000=1Lakh
1000000=1million=10Lakh
10000000=10million=1Crore
100000000=100million=10Crore
1000000000=1billion=100Crore

BTW... We understand your point, no need to be excessively aggressive. Please maintain civility.

We Indians never understand no matter what we do those sinahelesse srilankan government is going to lean over more and more towards china,
may be a detailed study over their religious practices, historical psychological fears towards big India by our ulteriorly intelligent RAW and IB could help it,
it might help the 1.5 billion srilankans to feel free and continue progress their work towards china, India fails to recognize keeping sympathy for one Gandhi-nehru Md.Bin.Tugloq, who ditched his own mother and grandfathers policy and represnted completely opposite of what the name gandhi represnted and risks the future of its citizens

this move has revived the alienation sense of the 7 billion own Indian citizens,

HEILTAMIL

@tramp
you can happily shut eyes and ignore the genocide but the moronic propaganda will not serve any purpose, it is recorded in the history of tamil race,
@arnabit, @Phenom
your numerical intelligence seems good hope your analytical intelligence remain as good as it too
@HeinzGud
please send mr. rajapakshe's to TN to explain it in a public meeting, else comments like yours could furiate more people
and as a personal request, please do not post any reply to my comments

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Who take Channel four seriously? Besides name any post war incident of any kind that come even close to genocide.

No Fire Zone was declared to civilians not to the LTTE. When LTTE infiltrated in and settled down until rescued by sea it was the end of NFZ.

OK I believe you and LTTE was pure non violent organization. Piribhaharan was like Gandhi.

You should proud of about the so called leader that hid behind Sarees. LOL Among all only Theepan and his unit was to be admired. Others are just cowered little chickens.

Fought until last man.... :rofl: Piribhaharan was brought to Colombo before he was executed by axing the head. :p

Too much hatred man. After all Tamils are your countrymen...

Have you ever seen the bullet and shell marks on the buildings in Killinochi, Vadamarchi, Urumpurai and Nalliady...

It is more than genocide or a war man.... the situation there was worse than Huambo (Angola) where South African and Cuban fought a pitched battle...

LTTE did not target Sinhala masses but You SriLanka Army aimed at Tamil as a race against all Indian teachings. You followed Pakistani teachings..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles