'Modi's India center of multipolar world - this threatens US hegemony'

Srinivas_K

Country flag
'Modi's India center of multipolar world - this threatens US hegemony'

Washington's hegemonic position is being threatened by a new global movement that is fast becoming reality, with the BRICS group being a very important component of creating a truly multipolar world, Don DeBar, of CPR News, told RT.

On Sept. 26, Indian Prime MINISTER Narendra Modi arrived in the US for his first official visit after a nine-year visa ban over allegations that he failed to stop anti-Muslim rioting when he was Chief Minister of Gujarat. In 2005, he was denied entry to the US under a 1998 law barring entry to foreigners who have committed "particularly severe violations of religious freedom."

As part of his five-day trip, Modi addressed the UN General Assembly. He will also meet with the CEOs of 17 multinationals, including Google, Boeing, IBM, PepsiCo and MasterCard, and a have private dinner with US President Barack Obama. Modi's visit promises to be extremely important for the future development of Indian-US relations.

Modi, in an Op-Ed in the Wall Street Journal, called the United States India's "natural global partner."

However, the trip was overshadowed by a lawsuit from a HUMAN RIGHTS group that is attempting to hold him ultimately responsible for the 2002 massacre of Muslims in Gujarat. He is accused of standing by, or even encouraging, sectarian violence in Gujarat in 2002, which left over 1,000 people killed.

RT: This weekend PM Modi spoke at the UN General Assembly IN NEW YORK. But had he not been elected, he wouldn't even be able to set foot in the US, because his visa was revoked in 2005 over the handling of Muslim riots in India. So why now is he seen as such a key partner by US officials?

Don DeBar: It's not a secret, particularly for people who have been listening at the UN over the past week – there has been a great DEAL OF discussion about it, perhaps more than ever. It's not a secret that there is a new global construct coming into being and very important component of creating that multipolar world is the BRICS group of countries [Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa].

The US sees its hegemonic position, its position as the unitary pole of global power, eroding in front of it. It is attacking at various levels the structure that is emerging – again, BRICS is a central part of it. We have links with the various integration groupings in Latin America – CELAC, the Alba countries, UNASUR. We see the groups that are forming around some of the old Soviet Republics, the ties between Russia and China that are growing exponentially and practically, Chinese INVESTMENT in Africa, African unity movements – all of this on display over the past months with the BRICS conference in Brazil over the summer.

India is literally at the center of the BRICS countries, and is raising demands at the UN, one of the themes Prime Minister Modi mentioned – many people mentioned it – but he brought it up specifically: India has a billion people and no permanent seat at the SECURITY COUNCIL. The entire structure of global governance is feeling a huge push from this new center of gravity forming, and attacking India is one of the ways that the US is using to try to stop this from coming to being.

A man waves an Indian national flag as he assembles with a large crowd of people in Times Square to watch the speech by India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi simulcast on a giant screen in New York September 28, 2014. (Reuters / Carlo Allegri)A man waves an Indian national FLAG as he assembles with a large crowd of people in Times Square to watch the speech by India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi simulcast on a giant screen IN NEW YORK September 28, 2014. (Reuters / Carlo Allegri)

RT: Modi was slapped with a lawsuit over his alleged role in those deadly religious riots as soon as he arrived in the US. That doesn't happen with world leaders visiting international summits often. How big a blow is this for Modi?

DD: The biggest blow is to US credibility across the world. This is a huge diplomatic faux pas. You don't serve process in somebody's lawsuit on a head of state when they are visiting the UN, no less to come together for THE GENERAL Assembly. Honestly, if I was Modi, and the world could thank God that I'm not, if I had that time at the UN I would have been reading a resolution, proposing an entirely new order, excluding the US, because of this kind of behavior. That's not what happened – he was much more diplomatic than that.

I don't even think that he mentioned his own situation within this, other than by a collateral reference to the need for waking it round the world. The US really gets a black eye in the eyes of the world community because it's a terribly undiplomatic practice.

RT: There's talk about an attempted upgrade in India-US relations. Will the coming meeting between Modi and Obama be more about politics or economics?

DD: They kicked him in the face when he ENTERED in the US and then said, "Come on, let's have lunch." Then they will discuss, I guess, there will be an attempt to providing diktat from the US government, or whoever will be sent as a power and will be talking to Modi, saying, "Look, that is what you are going to do – or else."

I think Modi has already shown us or told us what he plans to do – he is looking for more integration of the global economy on a multipolar, multilateral level. He is actually pursuing that in operating within a framework that he is committed to. That is going to happen much deeply and broadly than before.

He was in Brazil at the conference of the BRICS countries when the new financial structures were announced, for example, that may ultimately replace the IMF and the World Bank. They are certainly now in competition. I think he has shown which way he is going to go in advance – we have got this little political ploy IN NEW YORK.

RT: What tools Washington is more likely to use in DEALING with Modi?

DD: Their primary tool is the drone: they have LAWYERS and drones, not much else, because they don't utilize the tools they do have. The US is a great economic power but unfortunately, in terms of their economy, it is mostly at war with itself: the oligarchy is at war with the vast numbers working people here, the middle class has been under attack for 40-50 years to the point of almost non-existence, and it has remained, although heavily indebted to the 1 percent.

So if the US were using those tools, diplomatic tools rather than the kind of behavior they have just exhibited, political tools around the country, around the world, then the US would be very competitive. We have much to offer the world, but all we are offering is military adventures, diktat and exploitative economic relationships. And of course the world doesn't have to buy that, it isn't BUYING it anymore.

http://rt.com/op-edge/191472-modi-visits-usa-india-relations/

jouni

Re: 'Modi's India center of multipolar world - this threatens US hegem

Multipolar world....Russia's wet dream. If anything, west will strengthen after Putin's Ukraine "holiday" . Today Finland announced increase in military spending, and we are not exactly a hawkish country.

Good to see India come closer to US, apparently you have also realised the facts. Russia's ego is writing paychecks, her body cant cash. In Russia 100 million is struggling to get by, 20 million has half of the standard of living of EU and 20 million have the western living standard. Try to build a superpower with that...LOL

( That article is really badly done even by RT standards. Shame on you RT, with your budget you should get less transparent propaganda ).

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag

Multipolar world....Russia's wet dream. If anything, west will strengthen after Putin's Ukraine "holiday" . Today Finland announced increase in military spending, and we are not exactly a hawkish country.

Good to see India come closer to US, apparently you have also realised the facts. Russia's ego is writing paychecks, her body cant cash. In Russia 100 million is struggling to get by, 20 million has half of the standard of living of EU and 20 million have the western living standard. Try to build a superpower with that...LOL

( That article is really badly done even by RT standards. Shame on you RT, with your budget you should get less transparent propaganda ).
Good to see India come closer to US, apparently you have also realised the facts.
Are you sure about that? From where I am standing, your assessment is wrong.

BTW, Putin will be in India in December.

Multipolar world....Russia's wet dream
I don't think you know India's view on this.

For starters, Modi said in his UNGA speech, just a couple of days back said that no single nation should be allowed to shape the world.

But, I do agree the article is poorly constructed.

jouni

Russias "multipolar world" views bombarded by RT is Russia's interior politics. Babushka in the small cottage at Russia's rural areas like to read those from Putin's state controlled media. It has nothing to do with real world. World is already multipolar to everybody else than Putin.

Sylex21

Russias "multipolar world" views bombarded by RT is Russia's interior politics. Babushka in the small cottage at Russia's rural areas like to read those from Putin's state controlled media. It has nothing to do with real world. World is already multipolar to everybody else than Putin.
Gotta agree with Jouni, India IS getting closer to the USA, it has started leaning towards America in the Sino-American Cold War 2.0 just starting up. Don't look too deeply into Modi's words in the UN, it's the same usual blah blah blah "world peace, hugs for Pakistani kids, blah blah", look instead at the combined picture of all the actions being taken by the two nations. I'm not implying that India is leaning pro-USA in relation to USA-Russia, far form it, in fact India has made a pro-Russia stance very clear when it comes to Ukraine and by extension to the "USA vs Russia" issue as a whole. However when it comes to USA vs China, India has chosen for now to be neutral while still USA leaning, this is in the best interests of India for now.

The above article is from RT a Russian mouth piece. From the Russia perspective they would strongly prefer India lean pro China as they see a Russia + China + India alliance as their only realistic chance of regaining Russian prominence in the world, and so are over hyping BRICS which is an economic union not even remotely a military one. The term "multi-polar" world is too broad and general a term, nor does it mean that India would make a "multi-polar world" its one and absolute only priority at the cost of everything else.

I can assure you from an American perspective India is not seen as a threat, not one little bit unless it were to suddenly strongly ally with China. India is generally seen in the USA as a positive force in the region and likely to be useful to the American cause and in line with the American global vision. Don't ruin this, it does and will benefit India immensely. India should cultivate a pro-China vision in China as well, which is relatively easy since China generally prefers India merely remain neutral in the USA's efforts to contain China. Remaining neutral and tapping into the vast potential of its underdeveloped population, infrastructure, people and economy serves India just fine, as long as China or the USA don't spread their influence in the Indian Ocean Region, India sees are its own sphere of influence and hegemony.

India doesn't need to worry much about the rest of the world and should instead focus on becoming an economic powerhouse unlike the world has ever seen before.

JBH22

Multipolar world....Russia's wet dream. If anything, west will strengthen after Putin's Ukraine "holiday" . Today Finland announced increase in military spending, and we
are not exactly a hawkish country.
You know that you would only have a nuisance value vis a vis Russian Army :)

Coming nearer to USA is harbinger for more trouble. Our Neighbour has first hand experience of their closeness with Uncle Sam :)

Its got nothing to do about democracy etc its only to weaken Russia and to advance USA hegemony on East Europe.

After Ukraine they will go for Belarus

Last edited:

jouni

Nuisance value, maybe. But I bet that in Russia there is not a lot of willing to try to test it. Last time they tried, they advanced 90 km and lost 1.1 million men...

Last edited:

sgarg

What will Finland do with its "increased" military spending. Who will Finland invade?

India has no desire to be center of a multi-polar world. India's stand is known for decades, there is nothing new. There is no new agenda brought out by Mr Modi.

The article is an opinion of its author, and not an official Indian government communique.

I do not see any great coming together of USA and India but I also do not see any huge rift occurring. The relations between two countries are friendly despite some significant differences in viewpoints.

What happens to Ukraine is not something India can influence. I think Indian government has decided to stay away from this issue.

sgarg

Nuisance value, maybe. But I bet that in Russia there is not a lot of willing to try to test it. Last time they tried, they advanced 90 km and lost 1.1 million men...
Last time they tried, they did not have nuclear weapons.

I would not advise you to go to war with a country with nuclear weapons. Sure defend yourself if Russia attacks.

sgarg

I think this forum should not be used for anti-Russia propaganda. It serves no purpose.

There are lots of conflicts and issues in the world. Most are not relevant to our situation.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

I would not advise you to go to war with a country with nuclear weapons. Sure defend yourself if Russia attacks.
Don't worry they don't have the balls.
They'll only pick on small hapless countries like Afghanistan, Iraq or Somalia.
For bigger ones they have economic sanctions, free and fair media, NGOs, and peaceful protests.

jouni

No worries, I want to assure everybody that Finland is not going to attack Russia. That is a misunderstanding. Kremlin can sleep in peace. If there ever was gonna disagreements between Finland and Russia negotiations would be the way to solve them. Use of force would be only the last option. We have no such plans currently.

Zebra

Country flag

Russia + China + India alliance
China was on US side at the time of Russian invasion in Afghanistan.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

BTW, Putin will be in India in December. ....
pls allow editing as i ony intended to reply to that one sentence.

yeah putin will come in december cos he cant take any climate warmer than that :p

and i think the visit is mainly for show although there will be solid contracts especially military hardware
and some trying to get TOT ... but i agree basically with @jouni and others that india is getting closer to usa
although that is from a background of being originally very close to russia

so it remains well -balanced although the usa with its technology is racing far ahead, leaving russia far behind

as for india threatening usa hegemony - firstly i dont think it is in the nature of our people , secondly even if we wanted
( most unlikely ) it would take a couple of hundred years .

Last edited by a moderator:

Dhairya Yadav

Im a fan of Modi's foreign policy . He is doing the correct thing by forming good relations with China and Japan, getting a commitment of $55 billion in investments in such a short time is not easy. How much US companies invest in India is yet to be seen, but Im optimistic on that front. Thus, India is doing an awesome job in forming a economic sphere with these world powers. As western sanctions hit Russia, i think Putin would attempt to boost trade with India, the same way he is doing with China.
However, i will still strongly protest if India enters any military alliance, be it with Russia or US. I say, get major defence equipment from both, but not that much to upset any one party. This why I favour defence deals with France . It is friendly towards us, towards US and towards Russia even till some extent. France has enough grunt to deny Uncle Sam's any request. Thus its a reliable source. I would love to see more cooperation with France in future, as it fortifies our non-aligned stance.

Dhairya Yadav

I just thought about this, why didnt we ever form a JV with france to design a new fighter? If we want to develop AMCA much faster, an alternative can be forming a 60:40 JV with Dasault for development of AMCA, as both our countries lack a 5th gen fighter. Induction of AMCA today can be expected to be around 2027 (after considering our godforsaken delays). If such a venture is initiated, it could be advanced by 5-6 years. What say guys?

prohumanity

Country flag

The very fact that everyone in west is so upset with Prez Putin ,itself indicates that the hegemonistic powers are shaking in their pants thinking of emerging multi-polar world order with more than 70% of world's people are joining hands to contain warmongers, regime-changers, sactions-imposer killers.
Don't forget they have all kinds of weapons this time..nukes,and all along with second strike capabilities. Hegemony is in real danger and smart people here in West see what is coming. As far as your better technology argument...a technology is good enough if it can destroy the attacking power .
You messed up Iraq..what did you get? bloody ISIS ! You mess with nations like China, India...imagine what you can get? ISIS multiplied by 100,000. Arrogance needs to be tempered...like it or not..Multi-Polar World is arriving soon....within next 3 to 5 years. For some in West, who are used to hegemony..it is hard to swallow...most people I know in West ..are comfortable accepting this new reality.

sgarg

I just thought about this, why didnt we ever form a JV with france to design a new fighter? If we want to develop AMCA much faster, an alternative can be forming a 60:40 JV with Dasault for development of AMCA, as both our countries lack a 5th gen fighter. Induction of AMCA today can be expected to be around 2027 (after considering our godforsaken delays). If such a venture is initiated, it could be advanced by 5-6 years. What say guys?
Yes, France can always set up an assembly line in India through an India partner. I think what they offered with their partner Reliance.

The socialist Congress government forced HAL on Dassault.

Another reason could be that French are not keen to part with key technologies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles