Americans Have Most Confidence in Military

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Most Americans have the highest confidence in the U.S. military and practically none in Congress, according to a new Gallup poll.

The military, small businesses and local police generally enjoy the confidence of a majority of Americans but the rest can't even hit the 50 percent mark on the latest Gallup poll. And even those institutions have seen their ratings decline a bit for last year.

In all, seven institutions have lower confidence ratings this year than in 2011, five had slight upticks and four were unchanged. But "none of the 16 institutions tested this year saw significant increases in confidence compared with last year," Gallup said. "The biggest declines were for television news, the public schools and organized religion."

In fact, confidence in public schools hit a new low with a five percentage point drop in one year, Gallup said.

"Americans' confidence in many of the nation's key institutions remains shaky, including record-low confidence in public schools, banks, television news and organized religion this year," Gallup says. "The declining confidence seems to be part of a broader pattern, rather than a product of isolated issues facing individual institutions. Once Americans begin to feel better about the way things are going in the United States, some of their lost confidence in the country's major institutions will likely be restored."

Gallup has been measuring Americans' confidence in U.S. institutions since 1973, but many of the groups have been added to the question over the years, the most recent addition being health maintenance organizations in 1999.

The U.S. military has ranked first on the confidence list in every year but one since 1989. Small businesses edged out the military for first place in 1997.
Americans Have Most Confidence in Military | Military.com

pmaitra

True. Most Americans are very confident about their military, and it is not unfounded either.

There are, however, some who are overconfident. I met one gentleman, during the time when Russia invaded Georgia. He suggested quite brashly, "I think we should invade Russia!"

:facepalm:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
America's business and power elite must be clapping with glee on reading this article. They have the government in their pocket and populace under hypnosis....what more could they ask for?

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
True. Most Americans are very confident about their military, and it is not unfounded either.
There are, however, some who are overconfident. I met one gentleman, during the time when Russia invaded Georgia. He suggested quite brashly, "I think we should invade Russia!" :facepalm:
if that gentleman was from high up in their military and thinks russia is the enemy then so much for confidence in their military

pmaitra

if that gentleman was from high up in their military and thinks russia is the enemy then so much for confidence in their military
He was not from the military. He was a commoner, rather a rustic person, probably a farmer.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
There will always be persons like this American commoner in all countries - irrational and ultra-nationalists.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
There will always be persons like this American commoner in all countries - irrational and ultra-nationalists.
There are no commoners in USA because we have no royalty. We have families who think they are royalty, like the Kennedys.:rolleyes:

Suryakiran

There are, however, some who are overconfident. I met one gentleman, during the time when Russia invaded Georgia. He suggested quite brashly, "I think we should invade Russia!"

:facepalm:
There is a state in USA with the name "Georgia". He might have thought that Russia is attacking that state and so some people are posting such a great comments :)

s002wjh

Country flag
belief me there are few american thought the Georgia invasion was Georgia state NOT georgia the country

trackwhack

Well, maybe the Pentagon should run the country instead of the congress then.... wait, what?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
belief me there are few american thought the Georgia invasion was Georgia state NOT georgia the country
A good joke. sixty percent or even more American do not know there is something called India ... They know Pakistan though !!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

So have the Indians .... and that myth is being targeted now a days by a well thought out media camping to malign the military .. example VKS media campign

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles