American Jets Intrude Inside Srilanka

A.V.

Govt. to protest; combat planes believed to be from the Seventh Fleet
By Leon Berenger

The government will protest to the United States over the intrusion of Sri Lanka's air space by a squadron of ten fighter jets. The Sunday Times learns that the protest will be handed over to the US Embassy in Colombo by the Ministry of External Affairs.

"What we are trying to establish is whether the US fighter jets had violated the oceanic air space or the territorial part of it," Civil Aviation Director Genera H. M. C. Nimalsiri told the Sunday Times yesterday.
"In terms of accepted international norms, anyone wanting to use the country's air space is required to file flight plans and obtain prior approval," he said.

A senior Air Force official speaking on grounds of anonymity admitted that there were periodic incursions by US combat aircraft into Sri Lanka's air space. "There were occasions where we had to tell them to move out," he said.

"We have communication intercepts to confirm that they were carrier-based aircraft. In this instance we have reason to believe that the jet squadron was from the US Seventh Fleet," he said. The tracking station atop Pidurutalagala -- the tallest point in Sri Lanka -- was the first to identify the intruding US aircraft. Officials there immediately conveyed it to the Civil Aviation Authority and the Sri Lanka Air Force.

The tracking station with modern radar equipment with a range of 200 nautical miles and covers 380 kilometers of airspace. A US embassy spokesperson declined to comment yesterday.

US fighter jets intrude into Lankan air space

Param

Protest? fools. Maybe they should have tried to shoot down those jets. I would have loved the consequences on SL.

A.V.

I dont think so, this might well be a warning signal for chinese hegemony on the island state

Param

I dont think so, this might well be a warning signal for chinese hegemony on the island state
Yup time for SL to realise that they are in no position to play the China card. Such tactics may work for SL when dealing with India but not the US.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Those SH made sure that the SL radars pick them up. This is gunboat diplomacy 21st century style...

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
10 jets???
Would've been enough to flatten their entire island....

This is a message to China IMO.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
May be to snoop on what the Chinese are up to in SL. whether or not commercial port is showing any signs of military.

But why 10 SH? Are they practicing something? You don't need a squadron to snoop on SL.

himanshugoswami

this just seems like yet another instance of the US aligning itself to India......showing india that it can be a reliable ally

sandeepdg

I think it was a routine exercise to snoop on the Sri Lankans for something. Or they were just having fun challenging this tiny nation.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I think it was a routine exercise to snoop on the Sri Lankans for something. Or they were just having fun challenging this tiny nation.
Nope the americans will not do anything just for fun and violating air space is not routine. With all the hi tech stuff on board, they certainly would not have lost their way!!

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Nope the americans will not do anything just for fun and violating air space is not routine. With all the hi tech stuff on board, they certainly would not have lost their way!!
Actually, it's called "diplomacy."

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
You know, I just think that they decided to take a shorter air route. Some members "somewhere" are suggesting that they should have shot down the jets. :lol: which somehow includes some fine Lankan members as well.

It would have been just fun to see what would have happened if that was the case.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles