America The Slovenly

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
America The Slovenly: Dressing Down And Blimping Up - Forbes
Let's face it — by and large, we've become a nation of slobs. I am sitting in the auditorium of a Midwestern college at its graduation ceremony, and, in my starched khaki trousers, blue open-collar shirt and blazer, I am wildly overdressed. I also wore shoes, as opposed to sneakers, flip-flops or sandals. I am feeling very conspicuous, for around me are fellow citizens, friends and families of the graduates, dressed in tank-tops, logo T-shirts, cut-off shorts, raggedy jeans barely hanging on to the butt, sweat suits, pedal-pushers, gym gear with "Nike" on it, and at least one sighting of what appeared to be a maroon bathing suit.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Yes, this is a worldwide phenomenon, not limited to the US. But then, some people say that the rules of dressing are silly and artificial. That's one way to look at it.

I'm wearing a business suit in temperatures of 30 degrees Celsius. So is everyone else here. Isn't it artificial and silly, sweating under our suits, and polished boots?

Several companies around the world, especially in new-age industries like IT, BT, Electronics, etc. are switching to a casual style of dressing. Of course this doesn't apply to the consulting firms, but in almost all product companies the norm is to wear jeans and t-shirts to office.

And many argue that this is a good thing. So, there are two sides to the coin. :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles