AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

Vijyes

SMIC was built on the back of TSMC and is now partly owned by it and survives by using their licenses. That is how most Chinese tech companies come to fruition, by stealing IP, getting sued and then buying licenses to stay legitimate. The companies selling the licenses are only issuing dated tech so the Chinese competitor will not be eating into their core market share. I do not know what percentage of TSMC production relies on US IP, but it must be under 25% or they would be subject to sanctions.
TSMC has much more than 25% USA IPs. Also, Wassenar and few other conventions ban selling of IPs of first 3 generations of chips. So, currentl, it is 14nm, 22nm and 28nm chips IP which are prevented from being sold to China. Yet, China has got 28nm and are making 22nm chips fab. This shows that TSMC has not given any license to SMIC. China had to make the chips on its own due to this restrictions. Now, I am not sure about IP theft via espionage charges on china, but in either case, it is clear that no license can be officially given.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
TSMC has much more than 25% USA IPs. Also, Wassenar and few other conventions ban selling of IPs of first 3 generations of chips. So, currentl, it is 14nm, 22nm and 28nm chips IP which are prevented from being sold to China. Yet, China has got 28nm and are making 22nm chips fab. This shows that TSMC has not given any license to SMIC. China had to make the chips on its own due to this restrictions. Now, I am not sure about IP theft via espionage charges on china, but in either case, it is clear that no license can be officially given.
If TSMC had more than 25% US IP in their lithography process then they would have to stop selling it to HiSilicon or they would lose Apple's orders. The key piece of equipment that enables the production of next gen lithography is EUV which is made by a Dutch company ASML. SMIC has ordered this equipment at the cost of hundreds of millions which should be delivered soon if it is not already there. This proves that Wassenaar does not apply to commercial use of fab wafers.

Vijyes

If TSMC had more than 25% US IP in their lithography process then they would have to stop selling it to HiSilicon or they would lose Apple's orders. The key piece of equipment that enables the production of next gen lithography is EUV which is made by a Dutch company ASML. SMIC has ordered this equipment at the cost of hundreds of millions which should be delivered soon if it is not already there. This proves that Wassenaar does not apply to commercial use of fab wafers.
Wassenar group and few other grouping like australia group allows sale of high end technology for its member states only, not all states. So, Taiwan is allowed to get the tooling. Also, the dutch tools are having USA IPR but just manufactured in Netherlands. Netherlands has no extensive R&D for semiconductor like USA does and hence it is obvious that USA must have been giving the IPR for manufacturing the tools in lieu of military alliance

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Wassenar group and few other grouping like australia group allows sale of high end technology for its member states only, not all states. So, Taiwan is allowed to get the tooling. Also, the dutch tools are having USA IPR but just manufactured in Netherlands. Netherlands has no extensive R&D for semiconductor like USA does and hence it is obvious that USA must have been giving the IPR for manufacturing the tools in lieu of military alliance
SMIC is in China, they are getting the EUV lithography for next gen fabs. If Wassenaar applied they wouldn't be allowed to export it to China.

Vijyes

SMIC is in China, they are getting the EUV lithography for next gen fabs. If Wassenaar applied they wouldn't be allowed to export it to China.
China is not allowed to get it from Western companies. China is making the tools inhouse and that is the reason for delays. China is being fully self sufficient and can afford it due to its large population of 1.4 billion (more than total population of NATO) and vast natural resource.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
China is not allowed to get it from Western companies. China is making the tools inhouse and that is the reason for delays. China is being fully self sufficient and can afford it due to its large population of 1.4 billion (more than total population of NATO) and vast natural resource.
That is what I am telling you. They are not making the tools in-house. They are importing them from the EU.

Vijyes

That is what I am telling you. They are not making the tools in-house. They are importing them from the EU.
No, they are making many tools inhouse for 28nm and are developing the next generation ones too inhouse. Chinese import only some EUV for 45nm or older generation as that is allowed. But the 28nm and 22nm under development is made in China.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
No, they are making many tools inhouse for 28nm and are developing the next generation ones too inhouse. Chinese import only some EUV for 45nm or older generation as that is allowed. But the 28nm and 22nm under development is made in China.
Considering China accounts for a 6th of ASML's total sales I wonder how you figure that.

Kchontha

Country flag
Replacement of Sukhoi-30 by 2050 and Failure of FGFA joint venture with Russia has provided Indian designers and aerospace ecosystem in the country to come up with an alternative which can take on and replace Heavy Class fighter like Su-30 and yet be India’s frontline fighter in terms of technology. Indian military planners should start work on Advance Heavy Combat Aircraft (AHCA) concept which could be India’s 6th Generation fighter program which should materialize by 2040.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/defenc...ndigenous-6th-generation-fighter-program/amp/

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

IndianHawk

Country flag
Replacement of Sukhoi-30 by 2050 and Failure of FGFA joint venture with Russia has provided Indian designers and aerospace ecosystem in the country to come up with an alternative which can take on and replace Heavy Class fighter like Su-30 and yet be India’s frontline fighter in terms of technology. Indian military planners should start work on Advance Heavy Combat Aircraft (AHCA) concept which could be India’s 6th Generation fighter program which should materialize by 2040.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/defenc...ndigenous-6th-generation-fighter-program/amp/

Problem is there are no clear concepts of sixth generation as of now. All the talk is that 6th gen will be unmanned ( optionally manned) , more Stealthy and will act as mothership for smaller winged drones .

Lca sport concept itself supports drone swarm control. Rustom/ tapas and AURA will fine-tune unmanned systems.
Amca will be stealth.

So we are already working on systems which will supposedly make a 6th gen fighter as of now.

What new will be there nobody knows.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

Kchontha

Country flag
Problem is there are no clear concepts of sixth generation as of now. All the talk is that 6th gen will be unmanned ( optionally manned) , more Stealthy and will act as mothership for smaller winged drones .

Lca sport concept itself supports drone swarm control. Rustom/ tapas and AURA will fine-tune unmanned systems.
Amca will be stealth.

So we are already working on systems which will supposedly make a 6th gen fighter as of now.

What new will be there nobody knows.

6 gen or 5++ gen, French, American or Russian have already defined it in the forms of scaf, penetrating counter air or next generation air dominance, or Russian mig 41 etc etc. Even Japan has defined it in the form of Mitsubishi shinshin.

IndianHawk

Country flag
6 gen or 5++ gen, French, American or Russian have already defined it in the forms of scaf, penetrating counter air or next generation air dominance, or Russian mig 41 etc etc. Even Japan has defined it in the form of Mitsubishi shinshin.

They are more 5++ gen features. Only thing clear as of now is that 6 gen fighter will control drone swarm.

Vijyes

They are more 5++ gen features. Only thing clear as of now is that 6 gen fighter will control drone swarm.

Even current 4th & 5th generation can control drone swarm.
Drone wingman is a big thing. As that involves autonomous flight of the wingman and hence needs AI. But drone swarm is relatively simple

IndianHawk

Country flag
Even current 4th & 5th generation can control drone swarm.
Drone wingman is a big thing. As that involves autonomous flight of the wingman and hence needs AI. But drone swarm is relatively simple
Ya I meant drone wingman as displayed by lca sport concept. They are already in development then . And if lca sport can handle autonomous wingman then arguably it is 4.5 gen feature.

Kchontha

Country flag

Other then controlling drone swarm 6 gen fighter will be powered by variable cycle engine e.g. GE ACE, more capable gan based aesa radar e.g. USA is buying Swede gan based aesa technology, and ability to use dew etc etc.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAZegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2IZvpUeOYTG1MqCvbYPglw

IndianHawk

Country flag
Other then controlling drone swarm 6 gen fighter will be powered by variable cycle engine e.g. GE ACE, more capable gan based aesa radar e.g. USA is buying Swede gan based aesa technology, and ability to use dew etc etc.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAZegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2IZvpUeOYTG1MqCvbYPglw

Ok so we have two requirements variable cycle engine and autonomous wingman/ drone swarm.
GAN based aesa , its an improvement not a generational leap imo.

Out of these autonomous wingman can be handled by 5th gen itself and gan radar can also be ported to 4-5 th gen fighter.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Why not Combined Cycle engines? Ones being conceptualized for spaceplanes.
Don't think many people know about these engine here. Also space planes will be much bigger in size and so will be engines probably.

Filtercoffee

Country flag

Let the SU-57 ' Feather' ('Run Forest ruuuunnn' LOL:daru:) go into mass production, we will be the first to call for some.

Last edited:

Kchontha

Country flag
Ok so we have two requirements variable cycle engine and autonomous wingman/ drone swarm.
GAN based aesa , its an improvement not a generational leap imo.

Out of these autonomous wingman can be handled by 5th gen itself and gan radar can also be ported to 4-5 th gen fighter.

Incorporating all these new age techs on one particular aircraft but not one tech only on one particular aircraft e.g. swedes have the best gan based aesa radar and they mounted it on their aircraft but it does not make the toy 6th gen, it's still a fourth gen because it doesn't have all the other features it should possessed to be a sixth gen one.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles