Akash Surface-to-air Missile

NeXoft007

Country flag
There's a theory I thought of which could be very much a possibility ALTHOUGH I DON'T WANT TO RANT ABOUT IT AT PUBLIC SM.
1. Akash-NG is approx 1m shorter than Akash Mk.1/ Mk.1S (4.8m vs. 5.8m)
2. Akash-NG is powered by solid fuel Dual Pulse Rocket Motor.
3. Barak 8 too have solid fuel Dual Pulse Rocket Motor.
4. Akash-NG is approx 30cm longer than Barak 8 (4.8m vs. 4.5m)
5. Barak 8 have 90km range.
[Considering all of the points above, do Akash-NG still have just 50km range? Not buying it.]
6. Now again, diameter of Barak 8 is 0.225m while the internal height of Akash-NG cannister is 0.38m (NOT SAYING Akash-NG diameter would be 0.38m, but Akash-NG diameter could be a larger than Barak 8's 0.225 diameter).
[Point 6 suggests that Akash-NG range could well exceed Barak 8's 90km range]
{Everything would be clear once the official schematics of Akash-NG comes out as its diameter is still a MYSTERY}
7. Barak 8ER is officially Israel's IAI only project, and no Indian Company (DRDO) is involved.
[Point 7 could mean the Akash-NG could actually be our desi Barak 8ER with a longer and larger body than Barak 8 (non-ER), but without the ~0.5m x 1.5m (diameter x height) attached booster of the original Barak 8ER]
ONCE AGAIN! Its all a theory made by me as the 50km official range of Akash-NG seems difficult to digest.

Last edited:

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Read about Sea Dart missile on wiki and you will realise that with Active Radar seeker the range of even Akash Ramjet ie Akash 1S should be around 100km. I think Akash NG would have range of 100KM but it's being understated due to powerful Barak-2 lobby. While Barak-2 range is being overstated for propaganda to justify such costly missile. So my guess is that QRSAM will have range of 50km, Barak-2 75km, Akash1S and Akash NG 100km, AAD 200-300km, PAD based SAM 400-500km.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Read about Sea Dart missile on wiki and you will realise that with Active Radar seeker the range of even Akash Ramjet ie Akash 1S should be around 100km. I think Akash NG would have range of 100KM but it's being understated due to powerful Barak-2 lobby. While Barak-2 range is being overstated for propaganda to justify such costly missile. So my guess is that QRSAM will have range of 50km, Barak-2 75km, Akash1S and Akash NG 100km, AAD 200-300km, PAD based SAM 400-500km.
The only thing I get reading about Sea Dart on wiki is that it was really bad at shooting down Dassault aircraft. :cruisin2:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
There's a theory I thought of which could be very much a possibility ALTHOUGH I DON'T WANT TO RANT ABOUT IT AT PUBLIC SM.
[Considering all of the points above, do Akash-NG still have just 50km range? Not buying it.]
6. Now again, diameter of Barak 8 is 0.225m while the internal height of Akash-NG cannister is 0.38m (NOT SAYING Akash-NG diameter would be 0.38m, but Akash-NG diameter could be a larger than Barak 8's 0.225 diameter).
{Everything would be clear once the official schematics of Akash-NG comes out as its diameter is still a MYSTERY}
7. Barak 8ER is officially Israel's IAI only project, and no Indian Company (DRDO) is involved.
[Point 7 could mean the Akash-NG could actually be our desi Barak 8ER with a longer and larger body than Barak 8 (non-ER), but without the ~0.5m x 1.5m (diameter x height) attached booster of the original Barak 8ER]
ONCE AGAIN! Its all a theory made by me as the 50km official range of Akash-NG seems difficult to digest.
Akash carries about 7 time payload than Barak 8 if i am not wrong. 60 KG against 8 kg.

AnantS

Country flag
Good Job Noor! May I suggest you to create a blog of yours and update your tidbits with few more lines in the form of Article. That will help you earn via Ad revenue. Watermark your stuff so that others who reuse your info give proper due. You can link blog to the posts here , twitter or facebook. Just make sure the information you share has been given green flag by Govt for sharing and is not confidential.

To add you should join forces with Shatrujeet009 That will make blog/site more comprehensive, covering Defense Development, Armed Forces Updates and Other Geo Political updates. If your blog is good, you will start getting sponsors from the reputed companies. Pool your knowledge.

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
Any idea on the launch weight of Akash-NG? Akash Mk-1 has a whooping launch weight of 720 kg.

ash2win

Crucial missing point here is weight. Barak 8 is 275kg Vs 720kg Akash.It will need more fuel compared to barak even after propulsion change. Reduced height make it even more unlikely.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Sea dart was a Ramjet SAM missile of 1970s with weight 550kg range 150km, effectively used in Falkland war.

My guess is that QRSAM will weight around 200-250kg while Akash NG will weight around 400-500kg.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Crucial missing point here is weight. Barak 8 is 275kg Vs 720kg Akash.It will need more fuel compared to barak even after propulsion change. Reduced height make it even more unlikely.
720 kg of Akash is the launch weight i.e., weight of the missile with the rocket booster. Now Barak 8 weight of 275 kg is without its booster IMO. Its launch weight would be 300+ kg.

ash2win

720 kg of Akash is the launch weight i.e., weight of the missile with the rocket booster. Now Barak 8 weight of 275 kg is without its booster IMO. Its launch weight would be 300+ kg.
Wrong, Akash is a single stage missile without a booster and actual weight the missile is 720kg.

kurup

Country flag
Wrong, Akash is a single stage missile without a booster and actual weight the missile is 720kg.

Actually the Akash has a Ramjet-Rocket Propulsion System . It has a booster ... which is inside the body itself . The booster empties out and become the combustion chamber of Ramjet ...... In the image you posted the dark black area is the booster .

Chinmoy

Country flag

As @kurup already mentioned, one more thing for simple knowledge. A RAMJET can't accel a body from zero. It needs thrust to operate itself.

Akash Missile is a medium range Surface to Air Missile with multitarget engagement capability. It uses high-energy solid propellant for the booster and ram-rocket propulsion for the sustainer phase.
https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/English/index.jsp?pg=akash.jsp

Prashant12

Country flag
Supersonic Akash missile test fired against electronic target

BHUBANESWAR: In a boost to the country's air defence shield, Indian Air Force (IAF) on Tuesday
successfully test fired supersonic Surface-to-Air Missile (SAM) Akash from a defence test facility off Odisha coast providing much needed push to the Make-in-India initiative.

The indigenously developed missile was fired from the Launching Complex - III of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) against an electronic target. The entire flight and point of interception was captured by the electro-optical tracking system, said a defence official.

The trial assumes significance as India is planning to deploy a squadron of Akash along the North-East border to thwart air attacks from China. The missile will be test fired against an actual target on Wednesday.

With Vietnam evincing interest to purchase the medium range high speed sleek missile, Akash is considered the first successful model of the Make-in-India initiative. The missions validating the weapon’s operational efficiency will pave the way for its series of production and deployment.

With a strike range of 30 km, the 5.8-metre-long missile has a launch weight of 720 kg and can carry a warhead of 50 kg. The missile is crucial to India's air defence programme as it will be used to counter ballistic and cruise missiles, enemy aircraft and air-to-surface missiles.

Similar to the Patriot air-to-surface missile system of the US, it can track 64 targets simultaneously and the inbuilt radar can provide command to the launcher to fire 12 missiles at a time. Fuelled by solid propellants, it can handle multiple targets with the help of a digitally-coded command and guidance system.

Prior to the test of Akash system, the Air Force personnel flight tested Italian Pilot Less Target Aircraft (PTA) Mirach from the Launching Complex - I of the ITR. The Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) flew for about 45 minutes proving its consistency.

The Mirach is of typical twin-boom pusher-prop battlefield surveillance UAV. It can be used for range validation sorties and simulating purposes. The 3.85 meter long and 1.27 meter high UAV can attain a height of 3.5 km and fly for nearly an hour.

"The sub-sonic and re-usable aerial target system is remote controlled from the ground and designed to impart training to both air borne and air defence pilots. It will be used as a target for Akash mission on Wednesday," informed the official.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...-fired-against-electronic-target-1713166.html

Prashant12

Country flag
Army carries out five successful tests of Akash missiles

The Indian Army today carried out five successful test firings of the Akash surface to air missiles which can strike down enemy aircraft and drones at range of 30-km in the air.

The Indian Army today carried out five successful test firings of the Akash surface to air missiles which can strike down enemy aircraft and drones within a range of 30-km. The missiles will be deployed along the China and Pakistan borders.

As part of the tests, five Akash missiles while simulating different situations destroyed five different targets successfully and met the parameters for which they were being tested. The missiles have been equipped with new seekers, sources said.

The targets were deployed by the teams of the Air Force and the Army. Akash missile system consists of missile launchers with missiles.

It also has a super efficient target detection, target tracking, launching of missile, tracking of missile, guidance of missile and kill of the targets were perfectly executed with consistency.

All the sophisticated radars, control centres, launchers and missiles have been prepared and operated by Army teams with military precision.

Notable among the operations is the launching of missile by a young woman Air Defence officer for the first time in the country.

The flight trials are conducted at ITR Chandipur. Defence minister has expressed happiness for the synergy among Army, DRDO and PSUs in demonstrating excellent performance of inducted Akash system.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/indian-army-akash-missiles-air-force-china/1/1100842.html

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles