AKASH-NG ( next generation )

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
This is the same '7 regiments' order that's been in news for several years.....deal still needs inking (even after several approvals/clearances by MoD over several years)
Earlier there was talk of 2 additional regiment cleared but now 7

Wisemarko

Country flag
35km

Actual benefit is enemy will have to deal with different types of guidance and hence onboard counter measures will be overwhelmed to a certain extent. A Akash launcher with both CLOS and RF seeker based missiles will have its own advantage.

1.CLOS (command line of sight guidance) , advantage very difficult to jam , disadvantage limited by radar LOS
2. RF seeker advantage independent target lock and engagement , disadvantage prone to jamming.

If both types are fired within optimal operating parameters then it will ensure higher kill probability due to redundant target acquisition and locking capabilities.

There was a DRDO paper on it , I can't exactly recall but it seemed the paper discussed combining CLOS and seeker both. If that's the case then it's even better.
CLOS weapons and their firing systems are much more prone to SEAD weapons/ electronic attack as have high probability of intercept. On board IR or RF seekers with LOAL capability are ideal as they can be cued by optronic/IRST gimbal or LPI radars without any possibility of jamming.

NeXoft007

Country flag
Wind tunnel model of AKASH NG

View attachment 35656

Finally we have a definite idea on how AKASH NG looks like

4 control surfaces at rear and 4 at mid section.
The actual prototype pic doesn't even matches with the poster pic of Akash-NG.

But if I had to believe the prototype pic, it's range far exceeds Barak 8 with that booster, with range similar to that of Barak 8ER. So, now we are seeing a possibility of Akash-NG with around 90km range and AKASH-NG ER with around 150km range.

Akash-NG ER would be a perfect intermediary between Akash-NG and XR-SAM.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
Wind tunnel model of AKASH NG

View attachment 35656

Finally we have a definite idea on how AKASH NG looks like

4 control surfaces at rear and 4 at mid section.
I thought this was Astra mk2.

NAL Director's report for this fiscal.

Astra mk2 scale models
Astra Mk2 BVRAAM.jpg
DSC07233-752532.JPG

The missile undergoing wind tunnel testing isn't Akash NG for sure.

porky_kicker

Country flag

Astra mk2 scale models
View attachment 35662 View attachment 35663

Well we have to wait for that to be sure. Test will begin this year. If either you or me is correct , both will be good news lol.

The astra mk2 model which you posted if it is to scale , then the position of fins don't match, neither the tapering of the nose cone nor the length of the fore section.

Untitled.jpg

If you noticed, NGARM and Astra mk1 kind of look same so.........

A.jpg

Also this one with grid/lattice fins is interesting, it will be funny if it ends up being a air to air missile ( Astra mk2 ? ) rather than a air to ground missile which I am guessing.

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
Untitled.jpg

Also if one were to remove the shiny fore section and imagine a shorter fore section in its place then it gives vibes of LRSAM/MRSAM ( possibly ) isn't it ?

And importantly fits closer to ( possibly ) Astra MK2 model isn't it ?

And with the extended fore section ( as in the pic ) it becomes the Akash NG ( possibly ) isn't it ?

Interestingly common denominator with all 3 is dual pulse motor isn't it ?

Anyways looks like DRDO is recycling frames as usual , which is a smart thing IMO.

Look at NGARM and Astra mk1 looks like jurwa lol.

Last edited:

Enquirer

Astra mk2 scale models
View attachment 35662 View attachment 35663

Well we have to wait for that to be sure. Test will begin this year. If either you or me is correct , both will be good news lol.

The astra mk2 model which you posted if it is to scale , then the position of fins don't match, neither the tapering of the nose cone nor the length of the fore section.

View attachment 35666

View attachment 35665

Also this one with grid/lattice fins is interesting, it will be funny if it ends up being a air to air missile ( Astra mk2 ? ) rather than a air to ground missile which I am guessing.
That image of Astra Mk2 was a mere ‘concept’ displayed by DRDO at Expos for several years. But that confit was never approved and no serious work went into it. Astra Mk2 has been approved only last year - to come with SFDR.

(That said we don’t know when the wind tunnel pic was taken.....but rest assured it’s not the current Astra Mk2)

Enquirer

The actual prototype pic doesn't even matches with the poster pic of Akash-NG.

But if I had to believe the prototype pic, it's range far exceeds Barak 8 with that booster, with range similar to that of Barak 8ER. So, now we are seeing a possibility of Akash-NG with around 90km range and AKASH-NG ER with around 150km range.

Akash-NG ER would be a perfect intermediary between Akash-NG and XR-SAM.
I don’t think there’s a booster in the wind tunnel pic - it’s just the arm that holds the model being tested.

Since India produced the dual-pulse rocket for Batak-8 it’s conceivable that the same confit went into Akash-NG too.....meaning 70km range.

Arihant Roy

Country flag

View attachment 35666

View attachment 35665

The model undergoing windtunnel test has a longer forebody. The front pair of canards have been moved back. This must be a refined test model which has the improvements incorporated based on earlier wind tunnel tests.

And Akash NG in all probability have a higher Dia body than Astra mk2.
But I still can't understand as to why do we need a 50 km ranged Sam when we have a 90 km range Barak-8 already.

Arihant Roy

Country flag

View attachment 35666

View attachment 35665

To me the one with grid and lattice fins looks more like a hardened penetrator. An air to ground missile for the bunker complexes of Pakistan.

porky_kicker

Country flag
That image of Astra Mk2 was a mere ‘concept’ displayed by DRDO at Expos for several years. But that confit was never approved and no serious work went into it. Astra Mk2 has been approved only last year - to come with SFDR.

(That said we don’t know when the wind tunnel pic was taken.....but rest assured it’s not the current Astra Mk2)
AFAIK

Astra mk2 is dual pulse motor based BVRAAM. It will be a enhanced Astra mk1 in all operational parameters

SFDR based BVRAAM is a totally different BVRAAM and will come after Astra mk2.

But let's wait and see

Vijyes

But I still can't understand as to why do we need a 50 km ranged Sam when we have a 90 km range Barak-8 already
I have been thinking the same. I am of the opinion that Akash NG is used as an indigenous alternative in case relationship with Israel breaks down (under USA pressure) and India has to pursue its own project. In that case Akash NG will be useful.

Otherwise, Akash NY appears to have similar capabilities and design as Barak-8 and it is more prudent to develop LRSAM/MRSAM instead of developing Akash NG independently. Maybe Akash NG itself will be MRSAM, LRSAM being Barak-8.

IndianHawk

Country flag
The model undergoing windtunnel test has a longer forebody. The front pair of canards have been moved back. This must be a refined test model which has the improvements incorporated based on earlier wind tunnel tests.

But I still can't understand as to why do we need a 50 km ranged Sam when we have a 90 km range Barak-8 already.
Because it will be fully indegenios and probably much cheaper for greater numbers.

Also a step forward for our own Barak type Sam.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

Enquirer

AFAIK

Astra mk2 is dual pulse motor based BVRAAM. It will be a enhanced Astra mk1 in all operational parameters

SFDR based BVRAAM is a totally different BVRAAM and will come after Astra mk2.

But let's wait and see
Nope..................................
There’s no requirement for a slightly enhanced Astra (it was only a concept/proposal from DRDO that IAF never approved)

porky_kicker

Country flag
To me the one with grid and lattice fins looks more like a hardened penetrator. An air to ground missile for the bunker complexes of Pakistan.
When I posted the picture sometime back in DRDO thread I also arrived at the same claim but my reasons were different .

Lattice fins are the best option when it comes to providing aerodynamic control at high supersonic speeds. Hence suited for all the way supersonic flight regime . This suits air to surface bunker busting missiles / bombs.

Now comes the question which air missile to surface missile is it . My guess one of the supersonic surface to Air Rudra variants.

But then again nothing can be said for sure since lattice find are also used in supersonic BVRAAMs like the Russian Adder. Given the consultancy from the Russians , there is a small probability that it might be a air to air missile too. Without knowing the scale of the model it's very difficult to say.

Let's wait and see

porky_kicker

Country flag
Nope..................................
There’s no requirement for a slightly enhanced Astra (it was only a concept/proposal from DRDO that IAF never approved)
Well then let's see , we will know for sure in the future

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles