AK-47 Morally outdated ?

A.V.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Russia's Defense Minister, Anatoly Serdyukov, set off a firestorm of debate in Russia after saying that his military's pride and joy, the Kalashnikov and Dragunov SVDs sniper rifles, are "morally outdated" and that he's considering a plan to buy foreign-made small arms.

Russia is going to replace the AK because its become a symbol of terror and morally outdated

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/21/russian-defense-minister-causes-uproar-replace-famed-ak/
WTF?! what is he talking about?...weapons are made to kill and maim people...it is not to check for morality. It must function to increase the mortality rate of the opposing side.

Russian Duma must fire this idiot.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Lol, what does he want? water pistols?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Look at the sources A) Faux News and B) Pravda. :balle:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
War itself and terrorism more so are immoral, but is it dated?

The bloke is out to make a fast buck in kickbacks.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Blasphemy i tell ya, this means jihad!:D

The fact of the matter is that in close quarters the AK still has way more stopping power than any of the newfangled guns also what the Russians need is a weapon that can work perfectly in the Eurasian steppes as well as Siberia while in the hands of conscripts who do not want to work extra hard on maintaining their guns, other than the AK i don't see any new gun doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
the ak-47 is a weapon whose legacy will never fade from battle-field in the forseeable future until the concept of assault weapons becomes obsolete.the new variantsof kalahnikov i.e ak-103,ak-107,ak-108 is as good as any western assault rifles as ever.the newest variant ak-200 will outclass all its western opponents.

pmaitra

Russia's Defense Minister, Anatoly Serdyukov, set off a firestorm of debate in Russia after saying that his military's pride and joy, the Kalashnikov and Dragunov SVDs sniper rifles, are "morally outdated" and that he's considering a plan to buy foreign-made small arms.

Russia is going to replace the AK because its become a symbol of terror and morally outdated

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/21/russian-defense-minister-causes-uproar-replace-famed-ak/
Well, that is Fox News and I, personally, would take that with a pinch of salt, but then that's me.

Other than that, this is something that needs to be highlighted, from the same link:
"Foreigners admit that Russian small arms are one of the best in the world. Just show me a foreign rifle which would compete with a Russian one on all specifications, including the integrity level," Shirayev is quoted as saying. "The main problem here is that Russia does not have anyone to work in the gun-making industry because of low salaries. Purchasing small arms from abroad can entirely destroy the industry in Russia."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...causes-uproar-replace-famed-ak/#ixzz1BskA1GhI
Of course, AK-47 has it's drawbacks, but then, AK-74 was used in large number even in the USSR. Has there been any fundamentally new mechanism proposed that significantly scored over the basic AK-47? Maybe AN-94, but again, it is said to be maintenance intensive.

There are a few guns that will always be legends:
  • Short Magazine Lee Enfield (SMLE)
  • Colt-Browning M1895 (Potato Digger)
  • Browning Auto-5 (A-5)
  • Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK-47)

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
What nonsense!? LOL! The man is learning from IA top brass and MOD how to make quick bucks through foreign purchases.. :D

LOL! I can't imagine what would Mikhail Kalashnikov do if he heard the man and saw him at the same time..:p

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Why don't the DRDO and the INDIAN DEFENCE MINISTRY show interest in small arms and sign a pact for developing small arms with the collaboration of RUSSIAN firms.............

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles