Airstrikes kill about 100 militants in Pakistan

bhramos

Country flag
ISLAMABAD (AP) — Pakistani military jets pounded militant hideouts in the northwestern tribal region bordering Afghanistan early Sunday morning, officials said, killing as many as 100 militants in the second strike on the region since a deadly attack on the Karachi airport a week ago.

The Pakistani government has been under pressure to combat the resilient insurgency that has plagued the country for years after the shocking attack of the country's busiest airport that left 36 people dead, including 10 assailants. Government efforts that started months ago to negotiate with the militants appeared to be going nowhere and the airport violence has made negotiations even less likely to succeed.

Pakistani air force jets targeted eight militant hideouts in the North Waziristan tribal area, two intelligence officials said. Many of the dead were believed to be Uzbeks and other foreign fighters, they said.

One of those killed was Abu Abdul Rehman al-Maani, who is believed to have helped orchestrate the five-hour airport siege last Sunday, said two other officials. Uzbek fighters and the Pakistani Taliban both claimed responsibility for the attack on Jinnah International Airport, and the Pakistani Taliban said the two had worked together to carry it out, marking a disturbing increase of militant groups working together.

When the jets struck, the militants had been gathered to discuss a deadline given by authorities for militants to leave the area, said two of the Pakistani officials.

All the officials did not want to be identified because they were not authorized to speak to the media. The information could not be independently verified. The tribal areas are remote, dangerous and difficult for journalists to access.

Sunday's airstrike was the second against militants in the northwest. On Tuesday, Pakistani military jets targeted nine hideouts in the Tirah Valley, where the military said 25 suspected militants were killed, but the information could not be independently verified. The area is part of a lawless terrain along the Afghan border that is home to a mix of local militants and al-Qaida-linked foreign fighters.

The Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan's claim of responsibility for the airport attack on the airport marked a rare instance of the group striking within Pakistan. The militant group was formed in 1991 to overthrow the Uzbek government and install an Islamic caliphate there but later expanded that goal to include all of Central Asia. The organization is believed to be based in North Waziristan and from there have attacked U.S. and NATO targets in Afghanistan.

Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was elected last year in part for promising to end the years of militant violence through negotiations instead of military operations. But only one round of direct talks between the government and the Pakistani Taliban has taken place and efforts have floundered in recent weeks. Now the question is whether Sharif will authorize a much more aggressive military operation against the militants.

In another act of violence this weekend, a guard for a provincial Christian lawmaker shot and killed the legislator Saturday, police said. Lawmaker Handery Masieh was meeting with supporters from the ruling National Party outside his home in the southwestern city of Quetta when the guard opened fire, police officer Abdul Razzaq Cheema said.

One of the Masieh's nephews was wounded in the attack, he said. Cheema said it was not clear why the guard opened fire.

Government spokesman Jan Mohammad Buledi said the guard fled after the attack and police were trying to arrest him.

Quetta is the capital of Baluchistan, where nationalists groups have waged a low-scale insurgency to get a greater share of money earned from resources there, like natural gas. Pakistani Taliban and al-Qaida-linked militants also hide in Baluchistan.

Airstrikes kill about 100 militants in Pakistan

Compersion

Country flag
i was thinking under international law also customary law if the state uses military weapons like fighter jets on its own people what is the classification. terming them "foreign fighters" is a thin red line especially with the collateral damage and 100 is specific and with a default of having precision requirement.

why not use other means. does pakistan know how and what and why they are doing such things contagiously. they might also be advised by other states that do not have their interest in mind. on the other extreme they might be doing this to supersede (in the paki way) what others are doing within paki but not realizing the consequences in form and flavor on its constituency and stability.

ITBP

i was thinking under international law also customary law if the state uses military weapons like fighter jets on its own people what is the classification. terming them "foreign fighters" is a thin red line especially with the collateral damage and 100 is specific and with a default of having precision requirement.

why not use other means. does pakistan know how and what and why they are doing such things contagiously. they might also be advised by other states that do not have their interest in mind. on the other extreme they might be doing this to supersede (in the paki way) what others are doing within paki but not realizing the consequences in form and flavor on its constituency and stability.
India also used planes against Mizo insurgents in 1966. It's okay to use. India should use IAF against Maoists.

Compersion

Country flag
India also used planes against Mizo insurgents in 1966. It's okay to use. India should use IAF against Maoists.
I am not sure if India air force has been used to attack Indians in India. It is not constant, incessant and also dogma. If what you are saying is true and you refer to those "insurgents" to be Indian - i am sure GOI has made it clear it was not right and the reason for doing that. India must not and does not use IAF to attack Indians in India. i know this is the policy because of the naxal - maoist movement and discussion on use of IAF there. India knows what it is doing.

also there is a difference between use of helicopters and fighter jets.

Last edited:

ITBP

I am not sure if India air force has been used to attack Indians in India. It is not constant, incessant and also dogma. If what you are saying is true and you refer to those "insurgents" to be Indian - i am sure GOI has made it clear it was not right and the reason for doing that. India must not and does not use IAF to attack Indians in India. i know this is the policy because of the naxal - maoist movement and discussion on use of IAF there. India knows what it is doing.

also there is a difference between use of helicopters and fighter jets.
India used Toofani Ouragons.

Air attacks in Mizoram, 1966 - our dirty, little secret - Economic Times You can see it.

Dassault Ouragan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see no problem if Air force is used against Indians.

I could not understand what you meant
If what you are saying is true and you refer to those "insurgents" to be Indian
Mizo insurgents were legally still Indians as they were Indian citizen.

Compersion

Country flag
India used Toofani Ouragons.

Air attacks in Mizoram, 1966 - our dirty, little secret - Economic Times You can see it.

Dassault Ouragan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see no problem if Air force is used against Indians.

I could not understand what you meant Mizo insurgents were legally still Indians as they were Indian citizen.
I know reports that you refer to and drafted my response with those in mind,

I will believe and respect what goi officially says on that matter. And the fact is india does not use iaf to attack indian in india as a policy and it has not been constant, incessant and dogma.

If we take what is out there to be on the extreme end use - the most pertinent mention is below:

This was the first— and only — time that the air force has been used to attack Indians in India. It cleared Aizawl and other cities of the MNA, but did not finish off the insurgency, which would last for another 20 years.
From the above article. There are many variables that can take your argument away from use of iaf on Indians in india. It was a one time event (if one takes the official line that it did occur but I doubt goi will say such a opinion in such plain words). Was it wrong. One fact is that it is not goi policy and in fact it will be wrong and one can say illegal.

Next the reason why iaf ought to not be used against Indians is because there are other mechanisms and apparatus that ought to be used and non military. In fact how the above insurgency was dealt with can be deciphered. Also We have dealt with insurgency before through non military means (that does not mean force was not used but it was under rule of laws) and probably will have to deal with it in future because of our neighbourhood and the dynamics of the rise of india. It's better to strengthen those and not bomb Indians using iaf. Also india knows under international law and customary law what that entails and that can be read up on the web (take Pakistan to be good example) and why it is wrong.

The discussion here is that india does not believes on such grounds but Pakistan does and 100 of its citizens have been hit by a second air strike. Pakis believe using paf especially fighter jets (the silly reason of no availability of drones) to bomb and attack on its own citizens is okay. And this is not a rare one time event but constant , incessant and dogma and one can say is continuos from 1968s till now. And huge numbers of killings not small figures. It is Pakistan state policy.

Like with abbottbad the Pakis fail to grasp international law and impact on what is happening and the consequences of such. It is either the advise is not bona fide whoever is giving it to the pakis and also they are incompetent. I believe it is a mix of both and more to the latter. There is also a significant facet of misgovernance and inability for Pakistan to use other civilian and non military branches of its system to tackle their "internal" problems. Hence why many (including many intellectuals) call it a failed state.

R u saying that india is a failed state. India knows how to deal with its internal problems.

Last edited:

kumar2310s

Was watching news about AL Quaida sending their jihadists to Kashmir. Why dont they first take on Pakistan? Pakistan has fueled Al Quaida for long, let them face the burnt now. Every country in the world should make a resolve to fight terrorism in all its forms jointly. Only then this menace can be routed from the world. Only end of terrorism in all its forms is the only solution to all the world's problems. Hope Pakistan wakes up and contains the fire it fueled for long.

ITBP

@Compersion there is large difference between insurgency and militia type war.

Insurgents work individually, at worst they will attack with team of 10 members, insurgency's main aims are to create terror and instability,(such as in J & K insurgency, show me a single incident where militants attacked on company strength) but Militia type combat is different, Militias work to capture ground, Militias engage in open warfare.

Situation in NW Pakistan is like this. There Taliban is a militia, they will try to surround Paki troops, then try to annihilate them, for this Army needs CAS. Situation of Mizoram in 1966 was like this.

There is a war going on in NW Pakistan, not insurgency.

Last edited by a moderator:

bennedose

I admire Pakistani djinn technology. After the Karaci airport attack - for one full day they did not know how many had been killed - there were seven hidden bodies in the freezer and Pakis said they would use their djin DNA tech to see if any of the bodies were foreigners.

But when PAF attacks targets in the Waziristan mountains - the Pakistani instantly know the number and nationality of the people killed. if this is not djinn teknology what is it?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
BLOGS / OMAR ALI
Pakistani Liberal Survival Guide
POSTED BY OMAR ALI ON JAN 22, 2014 AT 04:40 IST

Everyone and his dog is predicting an operation against the Pakistani Taliban by the Pakistan army. The word is that the TTP (or factions of the TTP, confusion about that being a standard part of Pakistani discourse and probably of the situation on the ground) has crossed all limits, attacking even in Punjab and killing soldiers, not just bloody civilians.

The army has responded with shelling and air attacks and if this pattern continues, then the unstable equilibrium of the last 12 years may not be easily restored. If that does happen, then Pakistan could be in for a rather brutal fight. The fighters are not equally matched; on one side is a nuclear armed semi-modern state, on the other a few thousand deranged fanatics and their distant backers (whether in Saudi Arabia, India or Langley hardly matters, though I do think there are more in Saudia than in the latter). It would seem an easy bet that the state will eventually triumph. But even insurgencies that do not succeed can go on for a long time. Besides, given the ideological support the Taliban enjoy in Pakistan, they are unlikely to be easily swatted away. They are also experts at blowing stuff up and seem to have a lot of explosives. On the other side, the state and its fighting arms are not exactly famous for their world-beating efficiency or the surgical precision of their actions.

So irrespective of the outcome, the interim period is likely to be blood-soaked, violent, painfully long and frequently shocking. While Pakistani liberals are much more robust in the face of violence than their Western counterparts (having seen a good deal of it in the last 12 years), they may not be fully ready for the mayhem or the moral dilemmas to come. Therefore, I have penned a quick survival guide for you and us, the liberals and ruling-elite leftists of Pakistan. I hope it helps (and while some remarks are frivolous and even facetious, the overall intent is serious).

Recognize that very few liberals possess skill sets that are in any way practically useful in a civil war. As such, waste no time in trying to figure out "what is my role in this war". You have no role. Relax. That's actually a good thing. Own it.
Having recognized #1, you will immediately see that there is little to be gained by hyperventilating about anything. Whether it is Taliban atrocities or state oppression, you can (if you are smart) put some distance between yourselves and the responsibility for either crime. Enemies (aka PTI, Jamat e Islami, Tariq Ali, Pankaj Mishra, Arundhati Roy, and so on) will no doubt try to make you feel guilty about the whole thing and loudly proclaim that you must take responsibility for the mess and you are liberal fascists and whatnot. Ignore them. I know its degrading to realize that you are irrelevant, but hey, take advantage of that. Own it.
Avoid aggressive and premature cheer-leading of army offensives. Even the US, with its extremely accurate drone technology and its efforts to reduce civilian casualties, cannot do so entirely. Third world army offensives being what they are, a LOT of innocent people are going to "pay the ultimate price". That is very sad. It REALLY REALLY is. I am not kidding about this one. It really is sad. Very sad. Try not to appear to be delighting in it. Pakhtoons are human beings too. FATA Pakhtoons are human beings too. They have suffered tremendously for the various grand strategic delusions of our geniuses. Don't be heartless and start cheering when they are bombed and shelled. Military action is probably unavoidable if Pakistan (aka Punjab and Sindh) is unwilling to just leave the area to Afghanistan and reverse the great Sikh conquests of the 19th century. But you have to walk a fine line here. Support military action but ask at every forum that it be as precise as possible; be ready to condemn the most flagrant abuses and avoid cheering any action too early lest the next day's news reveal the reality to be uglier than initially presented. But when the army seems to carry out a truly well-targeted operation against terrorists, be ready to express support. Following these simple rules will save you from much embarrassment.
At the same time, avoid the temptation to join PTI or start campaigns against the army. First of all, your campaigns (like all previous campaigns of yours/ours) are going to have no discernible impact on affairs, so don't go overboard. Secondly, the army is fighting (however crudely) for the existing (highly imperfect) state versus the anarchic Syria level crap that the Taliban will bring to E-7 if they break through. Swallow hard. Take a deep breath. Go easy.
If you must (and if everyone you know is a Tariq Ali or Arundhati Roy fan, you may have little choice) stand up and create a huge storm in the phase V living room teacup about the corrupt Pakistani elite, slaves of America, oppressors of the Taliban, upper class nitwits, etc. then do so strategically. Be very visible within your own group and on social media, but completely invisible on the ground. Otherwise, people are known to vanish off the face of the earth and then turn up in Manghopir with a few extra holes in their body. Stick to you safe zone.
At the same time, don't panic and sell everything to your Memon friend at half price. The state is likely to win. Every wise Jamatia in Pakistan has one foot in Malaysia if not in the US, so there is no reason why liberals should not take precautions and make sure their green card is current and cousin Jimmy in New York is not terminally upset at you for some silly thing or the other. But premature evacuation may leave you with egg on your face (or worse). Stay calm. Take reasonable precautions. Avoid panic. If the shit hits the fan, run for your life, but don't up and run every time Uncle Rashid says the sky is falling. Uncle Rashid has been saying that for 65 years and his commercial plots continue to go up in value. Hold tight and pray to Allah. All will be well.
Pakistani Liberal Survival Guide
Omar Ali is a Pakistani who is in the US and is an avid poster in Small Arms Councll.

He is very knowledgeable about Pakistani issues.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
[OUOTE=ITBP;910818]India also used planes against Mizo insurgents in 1966. It's okay to use. India should use IAF against Maoists.[/QUOTE]

Either your information is incomplete or You use the information very selectively and half couched deliberately misguided..

Yes, India used fighter jets against Mizo insurgents only during one campaignon on 5/6 March 1966 but learnt its political lessons. Having learnt those lessons, the same mistakes should not be repeated. you are suggesting it to be repeated !~!.

and you are quoting it as a precedence for use of airpower against Maoist. Why can not you guys fight them out having raised more than 250 battalions for that purpose..

Hand over those battalions to the Army and they will do the job.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Pakistan army launches major offensive "ZARB –E- AZB" in North Waziristan killing MUSLIMS

Pakistan's army says it has launched a "comprehensive operation" against militants in North Waziristan, near the Afghan border.It comes hours after fighter jets carried out air strikes against militant strongholds in the area.

Officials said scores of insurgents were killed in the air raids but this has not been independently confirmed.Among them was a suspected Uzbek leader of the deadly attack on Karachi airport a week ago, they added.At least 28 people were killed in the airport attack, as well as all 10 gunmen.

The operation is said to involve the air force, artillery, tanks and ground troops.
The BBC's Mike Wooldridge in Islamabad says a large-scale military offensive in North Waziristan has long been mooted and air strikes in the region have intensified since the attack on Karachi.It is not clear how many ground troops will be involved, he adds, but military experts warn it will be a complex and challenging operation. The US has long pressed for such an operation in North Waziristan, one of the last areas in the restive north-west where a large-scale push against insurgents has not taken place.

"On the directions of the government, armed forces of Pakistan have launched a comprehensive operation against foreign and local terrorists who are hiding in sanctuaries in North Waziristan," a military statement said.

The army later said troops had encircled militant bases in the towns of Mirali and Miranshah but it was unclear if fighting was under way. Afghan security forces have been asked to to seal the border on their side, officials said.A further statement from the office of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said the government had tried to resolve the crisis through dialogue - a reference to peace talks with the Pakistani Taliban that began earlier this year - but it had been frustrated by continued attacks.

Sunday's air strikes that preceded the ground offensive were in the mountainous Dehgan area of North Waziristan. The army said eight militant hideouts were destroyed killing 105 "terrorists", most of them Uzbeks. The statement said among the dead was Abu Abdul Rehman al-Maani, an Uzbek believed to have helped organise the airport assault.

Al-Maani is considered a key commander of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU).The IMU was formed in 1991 with the aim of setting up an Islamic state in the central Asian country of Uzbekistan.However, it later broadened its ambitions to seeking an Islamic state across Central Asia. The US State Department designated it as a foreign terrorist organisation in 2000.Sunday's air strikes were the second in the region this week in response to the attack by the Pakistani Taliban (TTP) on Karachi airport last Sunday.

The TTP said Uzbek fighters took part in the assault which was in revenge for the killing of their leader last year.Pakistan has been fighting an Islamist insurgency for more than a decade, with the Pakistani Taliban the main militant grouping.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Pakistan is killing FREEDOM FIGHTERS of Waziristan.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
TTP Freedom Fighters : We Will Burn Islamabad and Lahore

Pakistani Taliban warn government to prepare for the worst, and threaten attacks on Punjab province and federal capital.

The government's "palaces" in Islamabad and Lahore will soon be burnt to ashes, said the spokesman for the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan following the launch of a military operation in North Waziristan.

Refusing to comment on the hundreds of reported casualties in the operation so far, Shahidullah Shahid said the TTP blamed Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and the provincial government of Punjab for the loss of "innocent" lives. "We hold Nawaz Sharif government and Punjab establishment fully responsible for losses of life and property of tribal Muslims as a result of this operation," he said. "The retaliatory activities by mujahideen will make you a symbol of abomination by the wish of God," he added. "To rid us of the clutches of these tyrants, we invite all Baloch, Sindhis, Pakhtuns and Islam-loving Punjabis to unite with us."

The TTP spokesman said the government's decision to launch the operation had violated the Pakistani people's wishes for peace. "The Government of Pakistan and the infidel Army have rubbed in the dust the wishes of Pakistani people for peace. They have launched the Zarb-e-Azb operation in North Waziristan on the directions of their western masters," he alleged.

"Now mujahideen of Islam and the Pakistan government are pitted against each other all over the country," he said, adding, "Any important government installation or institution could become the target of mujahideen."

Shahid added: "We also want to make it clear to the rulers of Pakistan that you are killing tribal children [by launching this operation], and, by God, we will soon shake your palaces in Islamabad and Lahore and burn those to ashes. We are eyeing victory with the help of God, and you will become a joke for the world."

The TTP spokesman also claimed that the time for talks had now passed. "Keep this in mind that you will wish to hold dialogue and seek peace. But [when you do], it will be too late."

bennedose

The army said eight militant hideouts were destroyed killing 105 "terrorists", most of them Uzbeks. The statement said among the dead was Abu Abdul Rehman al-Maani, an Uzbek believed to have helped organise the airport assault.
When Uzbeks are killed they send out special radio waves of a specific Uzbek frequency that can be detected on Pakistani F-16 and JF-17 radar. So the Pakis know exactly how many were killed and their nationality.

Compersion

Country flag
@Compersion there is large difference between insurgency and militia type war.

Insurgents work individually, at worst they will attack with team of 10 members, insurgency's main aims are to create terror and instability,(such as in J & K insurgency, show me a single incident where militants attacked on company strength) but Militia type combat is different, Militias work to capture ground, Militias engage in open warfare.

Situation in NW Pakistan is like this. There Taliban is a militia, they will try to surround Paki troops, then try to annihilate them, for this Army needs CAS. Situation of Mizoram in 1966 was like this.

There is a war going on in NW Pakistan, not insurgency.
What's going on that is occurring all over Pakistan and not only nw Pakistan is a failure to grasp and understand and appreciate principles of sovereignty, international law and principles that define a state respecting and applying rule of law and principles of human rights.

A failed state in all but name yet carries on pretending it knows exactly what it is doing. Uzbek terrorists -> are they painted and illuminated for targeting and no local casualties and terrorists at all. Also If the intention is that local and invited and trained guests (not foreign specifically Uzbek) terrorists are allowed to live that are in majority in principle and state policy direction that implies that pakis will keep on returning down this path again.

I would not term it insurgency and even war I would go to the extreme and say it is something akin to genocide that Pakistan is doing in nw and many parts of Pakistan. Doing and acting without any thought and principle. It's something that is reoccurring in Paki psyche and history,

The primary reason one can think and will hear later why pakis are being such gung-ho about this excessive use of resources is to later say this was done for PRC. Hence army involvement, aren't the pakis smart and sassy and willy and applying such intelligent statecraft,

What happen at airport is not equivalent to being told behave like North Korea from PRC. The latter makes the whole army seek out foreign terrorists that would align themselves against such.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles