Aircraft Guns

Yumdoot

@pmaitra,

dada you got me excited with your #10.

I thought somebody had gotten the multi-barrel Silin. Rotary gas operation is fine but Gast/Silin is sweet and sure. People do claim that Gast/Silin will get stuck with a misfire round but my guess is, that it is so only because no honest+smart engineer ever worked on a solution. The sheer need to increase GDP (aka tankhwa) overtaking the need to have a good fight :p.

But again nothing can beat a Gast/Silin.

pmaitra

@Yumdoot,

Slostin was a really innovative character. He built a rifle by repeating what a rifle does.

A rifle has spiralling grooves inside the barrel, which causes part of the linear velocity of a projectile to be converted into angular velocity, as the projectile seeks the path of least resistance, and thus, causes the projectile to spin.

In the GSh-30-6, the linear velocity of the recoiling barrel is convverted into angular velocity, thus causing the entire Gatling-barrel-complex to rotate.

This is indeed very smart.

Thanks for posting those awesome pictures. Wonderful research, and I also got to learn something today.

Yumdoot

A change in Post No. 19:
  • GSh-30-1 is a one off single barreled gun.
Gsh-30-1 on the Su-30MKI is a single barrel short recoil operated cannon with a lower rate of fire but with a much bigger shell.

• Revolver gun - where the chambers rotate and as they align with the single barrel. Boom. Like your bollywood pistaul. DEFA, ADEN, Mauser 213 et al.
Then continues.

@pmaitra , but why are you so impressed by Slostin gun. Gast/Silin did a much more simpler job and will require only some work to set the problems right.

The way I see it, the more your machine system does the more the points of failure it creates. Gast/Silin does away with a lot of fluff. And all that without affecting the rate of fire. I am a Gast/Silin fanboy.

pmaitra

@pmaitra , but why are you so impressed by Slostin gun. Gast/Silin did a much more simpler job and will require only some work to set the problems right.

The way I see it, the more your machine system does the more the points of failure it creates. Gast/Silin does away with a lot of fluff. And all that without affecting the rate of fire. I am a Gast/Silin fanboy.
I agree that Gast/Silin did a much simpler job.

I am impressed by Slostin because he took the Gatling concept and made it mechanically self sufficient. No need for hand cranking or electrical motor. That keeps things much more reliable.

Can you post more details on the mechanism used to clear a jam?

bennedose

If strafing was a thing of the past, attack helicopters would have no guns. Every time people have said guns are things of the past they have lived to regret it.

Here is a MiG 23 (no its NOT a MiG 27 despite its nose - check the intakes)) in a cannon attack using its rotary 30 mm

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles