Aircraft Crash Notification

A.V.

THIS thread is a notification thread of various military air crashes around the world.please post the date and details of crash notifications this is not a discussion thread please discuss on new threads this is only a database/approved thread.

A.V.

Indian Air Force Sukhoi Su-30 MKI Fighter Jet Crashes in Rajasthan

30 the april 2009

One Indian Air Force pilot was killed and another seriously injured in the first-ever Su-30 MKI fighter jet crash on Thursday near Jaisalmer in Rajasathan.

The deceased pilot has been identified as Wing Commander P S Nara and the injured as Wing Commander S V Munje, IAF officials said in New Delhi . A court of inquiry has been ordered into the mishap.

According to Defence PRO Lt Col N N Joshi, the crash took place around 10.20 hours about 70 km southeast of Jaisalmer near Rajmathai-Hariyasar village in Rajasthan when the two pilots flew out the aircraft on a routine sortie.

Within a few minutes of taking off, the pilots reported trouble in the aircraft and both ejected out of the cockpit, after directing the aircraft on to a vacant agricultural land. But both pilots suffered serious injuries and were rushed by an IAF rescue team to a nearby military hospital, sources said.

While Wg Cdr Nara succumbed to injuries, the condition of Wg Cdr Munje is said to be stable. The frontline fighter aircraft and the pilots, sources said, belonged to one of the Sukhoi squadrons based in Lohegaon near Pune.

The aircraft from the squadron had come here to participate in regular flying exercises that they are subjected to annually, sources said.

India had first inducted Su-30MKIs into IAF service in 2002

A.V.

Su-35 fighter model crashes, pilot catapults in Khabarovsk territory

27.04.2009, 05.28
ITAR-TASS

KHABAROVSK, April 27 (Itar-Tass) -- A model of the state-of-the-art fighter Su-35 crashed at the airfield of the Komsomolsk-on-Amur aviation production integrated works on Sunday, unofficial sources said on Monday.

The incident occurred during the run-up of the fighter. Before the takeoff the fighter could have collided with some obstacle and caught fire. The pilot managed to catapult and survived. The fighter skidded off the runway and fell apart.

The foresaid aviation production integrated works neither confirmed nor reject the fact of the crash. The officials still refrain from comments.

A.V.

MiG-27 aircraft crashes, 7 injured

may 15 2009 mig 27 crash

JODHPUR: A MIG-27 fighter aircraft crashed in a village in this district on Friday, injuring six labourers and a child on the ground.
The MiG-27 pilot, a squadron leader, ejected out of the cockpit safely just before the aircraft crashed between 8.10 hours and 8.20 hours in Konkani village in Luni, about kms from here, while on a routine sortie, Defence PRO Lt Col N N Joshi said.

The plane crashed soon after take off into an under construction house in a field in a small hamlet in Salawas village of Luni, he said.

The Indian Air Force has ordered a probe into the crash, Joshi said.

SP (Rural) Sharat Kaviraj said seven persons including a two year old child have been injured.

This is the second IAF fighter aircraft crash in as many weeks, the previous mishap being that of a sophisticated Su-30MKI air superiority fighter near Jaisalmer on April 30.

This is the fourth IAF aircraft crash in 2009, the first being that of a Surya Kiran Aerobatics Team's Kiran-MkII crash in Bidar on January 21, followed by an unmanned aerial vehicle crash the same day in Hashimara.

The last MiG-27 crash had taken place in Hashimara on January 31 last year.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
MiG-27 aircraft crashes, 7 injured

JODHPUR: A MIG-27 fighter aircraft crashed in a village in this district on Friday, injuring six labourers and a child on the ground.

The MiG-27 pilot, a squadron leader, ejected out of the cockpit safely just before the aircraft crashed between 8.10 hours and 8.20 hours in Konkani village in Luni, about kms from here, while on a routine sortie, Defence PRO Lt Col N N Joshi said.

The plane crashed soon after take off into an under construction house in a field in a small hamlet in Salawas village of Luni, he said.

The Indian Air Force has ordered a probe into the crash, Joshi said.

SP (Rural) Sharat Kaviraj said seven persons including a two year old child have been injured.

This is the second IAF fighter aircraft crash in as many weeks, the previous mishap being that of a sophisticated Su-30MKI air superiority fighter near Jaisalmer on April 30.

This is the fourth IAF aircraft crash in 2009, the first being that of a Surya Kiran Aerobatics Team's Kiran-MkII crash in Bidar on January 21, followed by an unmanned aerial vehicle crash the same day in Hashimara.

The last MiG-27 crash had taken place in Hashimara on January 31 last year.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Mig-21 crashes near Jodhpur, pilot safe

Jodhpur:

Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 1640 hrs IST
In the third IAF fighter aircraft mishap in less than a month, a Mig-21 'Bison' plane on Wednesday crashed near Jodhpur but the pilot ejected safely.
The war plane, which had taken off for a routine sortie in the forenoon from the Jodhpur airbase, crashed on a barren stretch land in Luni village in Mordijoshyan, near Jodhpur, Superintendent of Police (Rural) Kaviraj said.
There was no damage on the ground, he said.
This is the third IAF fighter aircraft accident in less than a month, the previous mishaps being that of Mig-27 fighter aircraft, which also crashed near here on May 15, and the one involving Sukhoi-30MKI air superiority fighter which crashed near Jaisalmer on April 30.
With this Mig-21 crash, the IAF has lost this year five aircraft, the first being a Kiran-MKII of the Surya Kiran aerobatics team in Bidar on January 21 followed by an unmanned aerial vehicle mishap the same day in Hashimara.

shiv

Another bird bites the dust

JODHPUR: In the third IAF fighter aircraft mishap in less than a month, a Mig-21 'Bison' plane on Wednesday crashed near Jodhpur but the pilot
ejected safely.

The war plane, which had taken off for a routine sortie from the Jodhpur airbase, crashed on a barren stretch of land in Luni village in Mordijoshyan, near here, Superintendent of Police (Rural) Kaviraj said.

There was no damage on the ground, he said. This is the third IAF fighter aircraft accident in less than a month, the previous mishaps being that of a Mig-27 fighter aircraft, which also crashed near here on May 15, and another involving Sukhoi-30MKI air superiority fighter which crashed near Jaisalmer on April 30.

With this Mig-21 crash, the IAF has lost five aircraft this year, the first being a Kiran-MKII of the Surya Kiran aerobatics team in Bidar on January 21 followed by an unmanned aerial vehicle mishap the same day in Hashimara.

Mig-21 crashes near Jodhpur, pilot safe - India - The Times of India

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
A Bison?!!

Honestly, the crash-rate in IAF is appalling.

Sailor

Gee I'm shocked. Russian built aircraft crashing is unheard of.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Sailor, Bison's are heavily modified and upgraded by DRDO, although their original airframe are of Mig-21 Bis.

p2prada

The Bisons have a refurbished airframe and new engines, other than the avionics upgrades.

A.V.

Pakistan Air Force fighter jet crashes
Air Force News — By Agence France-Presse on May 29, 2009 at 7:45 am

ISLAMABAD: A CHINESE-BUILT Pakistan Air Force FT-7 fighter jet crashed in central Pakistan on Friday during a training run but the pilots ejected safely, officials said.

'The jet came down near Mianwali town in central Punjab province during a routine operational training mission,' an air force spokesman told AFP.

He said both pilots ejected safely and that an inquiry had been ordered to investigate the cause of the crash.

Pakistan's air force has a fleet of Chinese aircraft, including F-7PGs and A-5s, US-built F-16s and French Mirages. It recently acquired medium-tech JF-17 or Thunder jets, manufactured jointly by China and Pakistan

J

John

we loose so many during peace time, i dont even want to imagine how many we'll loose during war coz there will less time for maintenance, longer flying time and more sorties, i think a war would be disastrous coz i am sure we'll loose around 10% of our aircraft due to silly crashes and not enemy kills. during a war i would not fear the PAks but fear mechanical trouble. Ridiculous. Shame on IAF. I think we have the highest attrition rates in the world. Pathetic.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
It's been three months since the crash of NAL's Saras Prototype-II. Just came across copies of the official letters that were written right after the Saras crash on March 6, in which three air force pilots were killed. No particular reason why I'm posting these, but as a matter of record Have posted RA Mashelkar's letter to NAL as a scan below:

Letter from Director NAL AR Upadhya to employees:

Dear Air Cmde. Mathappan, Commandant, ASTE, Mr Chidananda, Head, C-CADD, Mr Chandrashekar, Head, ESD and Dear friends,

On Friday last, when all of you reached home from Office, you would have been shocked to see the news item on your TV Channels informing about the crash of NAL’s SARAS. I was on my way to the airport at Hyderabad to catch a flight to Coimbatore to take part in the Aerofestival with the Park College of Engineering as a part of our Golden Jubilee Celebrations when Dr HNV Dutt informed me of the sad news. I immediately rushed back to Bangalore reaching here by about 8 O’clock.

Air Cmde Mathappan, Commandant , ASTE who was in Delhi also rushed back immediately reaching a little later. It is indeed very tragic that CSIR-NAL’s SARAS PT2 had an unfortunate accident during its test flying on Friday, the 6th March 09 resulting in the loss of the aircraft and its three flight crew, Wg Cdr K Praveen, Wg Cdr DK Shah and Sqn Ldr S Elayaraja of the Aircraft Systems and Testing Establishment (ASTE) of IAF. We are extremely saddened by the loss of precious lives of the three bright young and dynamic members of the IAF family who, by their passion for and commitment to the SARAS programme, had also become members of the CSIR-NAL-SARAS family.

Wg Cdr Praveen, aged 36 and half years joined IAF as a pilot on 18 June 1994. He was posted to ASTE on 20 June 2005 and was a member of the SARAS test team. He took over as Chief of Test Team (CTT) on 31 October 2008. He leaves behind wife Tanusree Praveen and a 8-year old daughter Naina. Wg Cdr D K Shah, aged 36 years, joined IAF as a pilot on 17 December 1994. He was posted to ASTE on 20 June 2006 and was a member of the SARAS Test Team. He leaves behind wife Pooja Shah and a two year old son Karan Shah. Sqn Ldr S Elayaraja, aged 33 years joined IAF as an Engineer on 22 November 1996. He was posted to ASTE on 28 June 2004 and was a member of the SARAS test team. He leaves behind wife Sivasakthi Elayaraja.

Those of you who visited the AEROINDIA Air Show in February would have seen the impressive flight display of our SARAS aircraft. The display flight was commandeered by the same three officers.

On behalf of CSIR-NAL, I would like to offer our deepest heartfelt condolences to Air Cmde Mathappan and his colleagues at ASTE and to the members of the bereaved families on this occasion. Our hearts go out to the members of the bereaved families. I and my wife, along with Air Cmde and Mrs Mathappan visited the bereaved families and personally conveyed our grief and sorrow on the loss of their loved ones.

On hearing the tragic news, our DG, Prof Brahmachari along with Dr T Ramasami, Secretary, Department and Science and Technology, DST (one of the original sponsors of the SARAS programme) rushed to Bangalore on 7th morning to share the grief of the bereaved families and to show their solidarity with ASTE and NAL and their unflinching support to the SARAS programme. They personally met members of the families of Wg Cdr Praveen and Wg Cdr Shah, though regretfully they could not meet those of Sqn Ldr S Elayaraja as they had left for their home town by that time. They were deeply touched by the noble thoughts expressed, even in those moments of extreme pain and suffering, by the father of Wg Cdr Shah that “ their supreme sacrifices would be well served only if the SARAS programme would be a success”. We have received nothing but messages of condolences for the members of the bereaved families and solidarity and support for continuation of the programme from all quarters. This includes Dr A P J Abdul Kalam, Former President of Government of India, Dr R A Mashelkar, Dr R Chidambaram, Prof CNR Rao, Dr G Madhavan Nair, Mr M Natarajan, Dr V K Aatre , Mr A K Baweja, all CSIR Directors, Director, ADA, Prof R Narasimha, AM Rajkumar, Dr Kota Harinarayana, Dr KG Narayanan, Adml. Raman Puri, former Directors and a host of other friends and well wishers of NAL from India and abroad.

I must also acknowledge the support from the media who have generally been very sympathetic to our cause in their reporting. I would also like to convey my sincerest thanks to all of you for standing by us at this rather traumatic moment. ASTE Commandant, Air Cmde Jose Mathappan and his colleagues were pillars of support and strength in this moment of deep crisis. They ensured that the wreckage was safely guarded and that other formalities with respect to flight data were observed until it was taken over by the DGCA team of officers, apart from making all arrangements for the gathering of the members of the bereaved families and bidding final farewell to the departed officers as per the IAF tradition. We are extremely grateful to them for their support. The DGCA team of officers along with our NAL and IAF members are doing the preliminary investigations and DGCA is expected to formally institute a court of inquiry as to the cause of the accident shortly.

I know how traumatic the last couple of days have been to you all, particularly those from the SARAS team, as it has been to me personally and I am sure to Air Cmde Mathappan and Mr Chidananda. Those of you who have built the aircraft piece by piece, component by component, it would have been heart rending to pick up the same pieces and components in a charred, burnt out condition from the wreckage of the aircraft. Those of you who were associated with tending to the aircraft, getting it ready for its flights, like a mother does in getting her child ready for school, it is hard to suddenly realise that the child is no longer there. Those of us who have interacted very closely with the flight crew, developed a personal bonding with them, it is painful to absorb the fact that we will not see them ever again. These are very painful, emotionally disturbing moments for all of you, because in an institution like NAL we do not face such colossal tragedies. Hence they may lead to deep emotional scars, but time is a great healer and perhaps the only healer.

But heal they must, because we have a job to do, and that must always be in our focus. We must not let ourselves be demoralised and demotivated. We must all clearly remember one thing – we have set ourselves a goal – that goal is certification of SARAS by the end of 2010. Like a harnessed horse, only that goal should be in our vision, and must work to make that happen – only then the supreme sacrifice of our colleagues from Air Force would not have gone in vain. As you are aware, CSIR-NAL was eagerly looking forward to procuring the order for 15 numbers of SARAS aircraft from IAF as its launch customer, to be manufactured at HAL, Kanpur . The SARAS team worked enthusiastically with their concerned colleagues from HAL and Air HQ towards meeting the IAF’s requirements for the same and also completing certification requirements with two prototypes PT1 and PT2 and under production PSA. This unfortunate incident though a temporary setback for the programme, has only reinforced our resolve to meet our commitments to IAF with renewed vigour. Our DG and Secretary, DST have assured us their fullest support personally during their visit here on Saturday, and DG also conveyed to me the same from the Hon’ble Misnister of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences. He has also kept the Principal Secretary and the Office of the Prime Minister informed of the incident. I, on my part as Director, have assured him that we would immediately review the position and come out with an action plan for putting the programme back on its rails. As our colleague Vineet said, it is time get back from the set back. I earnestly solicit the support and cooperation from all of you here in this endeavour.

Unfortunately, I also have another sad announcement to make. One of our colleagues, Mr Venkoba Rao, Group II(3) from the Engineering Services Division passed away due to cardiac arrest on 7th evening in the Manipal Hospital. He was 56 years of age and had served NAL/CSIR for nearly 25 years. He leaves behind his wife, two children (a son and a daughter) and aged parents. We from CSIR-NAL pray for the departed souls and convey our heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families, and pray that they be given strength to bear the loss of their loved ones.

Thank you,
(A R Upadhya),
Director, NAL
LiveFist: Revisiting the Saras crash, three months on

Mohan

Respected Member
An An-32 plane has crashed over Arunachal pradesh. It had 8 airmen and 6 soldiers on board. It was traveling from chapua in Assam to Arunachal pradesh. sorry could not post links.

IAF plane goes missing, fears to have crashed

May their souls rest in peace...

IAF plane with 12 people disappears over Arunachal

Plane crash PTI
IAF plane with 12 people disappears over Arunachal

2009-06-09 21:10:00
Last Updated: 2009-06-09 21:46:01

Shillong: A transport plane of the Indian Air Force carrying six IAF personnel and six civilians went missing today over the mountains of Arunachal Pradesh and is feared to have crashed, an IAF spokesman said here.

The AN-32 plane had flown from Dibrugarh in Assam to Mechuka in Arunachal from where it took off again with the civilians for Jorhat at around 2 pm, after which the aircraft went missing, said IAF spokesman Wing Commander P Sahu.

He said the plane was feared to have crashed.

The six civilians were being ferried as part of the IAF plane's regular sortie.

An aerial search operation over the dense forests and mountains of Arunachal Pradesh bordering Bhutan where the plane might have crashed was carried out but neither the wreckage nor bodies could be located, Sahu said.

The search would resume tomorrow and army and paramilitary personnel in the area have been put on alert.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Fighter plane crashes in Bangladesh, pilot safe

Chittagong (AP): An official says a Bangladesh Air Force fighter plane has crashed into a river in the country's southeast but its pilot parachuted to safety.

Rescue official Nasiruddin Ahmed says the F-16 plane was on a training flight on Tuesday when it caught fire and crashed into the Karnaphuli River near Chittagong.

He says the pilot safely parachuted from the plane. There were no immediate details on what went wrong.

Chittagong is 135 miles (215 kilometers) southeast of the capital, Dhaka.

The Hindu News Update Service

Training aircraft crashes in Bay, pilot unhurt

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A training aircraft of Bangladesh Air Force crashed in the Bay of Bengal near the outer anchorage of Chittagong port this morning.

Sources at Zahirul Haq Airbase said the pilot of the aircraft, Flight Lieutenant Mamun, managed to escape by parachute after the aircraft crashed in Patenga.

The divers of Bangladesh Navy with the help of some local divers rescued him and rushed to nearby Naval Hospital, said Commander Anwar of Naval Academy at Patenga in the port city.

The pilot was out of danger, he said.

The FT-6 type aircraft took off shortly after 11:30am.

Shortly after the takeoff, the aircraft appeared to have developed technical glitch. It caught fire just before falling into the sea near the Karnaphuli estuary.

The naval rescue team was searching for the wreckage of the aircraft in the sea at the bravo point of outer anchorage area of Chittagong port.

“The aircraft made a big bang and then started bumping and faltering in the air before it caught fire,” said local diver Jasim who along with three others rushed and rescued the pilot from water in the Karnaphuli estuary.

Bangladesh Air Force Chief Air Marshal Ziaur Rahman flew to Chittagong immediately after the accident.

The air force chief visited the pilot at the hospital.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/latest_news.php?nid=17525

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Attack plane crashes in north Russia, both pilots survive

:0717/06/2009MOSCOW, June 17 (RIA Novosti) - A Su-24 all-weather attack aircraft crashed on a runway on Wednesday in the Murmansk Region of north Russia, but both pilots ejected safely, a Russian Air Force spokesman said.

"There are no fatalities or destruction on the ground," Lt. Col. Vladimir Drik said.

A Defense Ministry official said a technical malfunction could be to blame for the crash, and that the plane had burnt completely after the accident.

The Defense Ministry and the Air Force command set up a commission to investigate the crash

Attack plane crashes in north Russia, both pilots survive | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
MiG crashes in Upper Assam, pilot safe
18 Jun 2009, 1508 hrs IST, PTI

NEW DELHI: A Mig-21 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force on Thursday crashed near Chabua in Upper Assam sending the IAF, which is already reeling under series of air crashes, into a tizzy.

The pilot of the aircraft, however, managed to eject out of the cockpit to safety, IAF sources said.

The type-77 aircraft, which took off from the Chabua airbase around 1400 hrs crashed immediately after take off near the airbase after it experienced a technical snag.

The aircraft, sources said, was on a training sortie when the mishap occurred, the sources said.

"The pilot reported the technical error to the airbase and later jettisoned the aircraft," an IAF source added.

The MiG-21 crash on Thursday is the sixth mishap this year. The IAF had lost a Kiran MK-II trainer aircraft of its Surya Kiran aerobatics team on Januray 21, a Sukhoi on April 30, a MiG-27 on May 15, a MiG-21 Byson on May 27, and an AN-32 on June 9.

MiG crashes in Upper Assam, pilot safe - India - The Times of India

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles