Air defence for NCR ready; Bangalore next

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
We launched the radar in our territory so we tracked it, i think only the launch!!
Having said that you do know that aerostat is only for peacetime, right ? In war first enemy missile is for gas balloon only :)
it is military product, dont you think they have thought about this. It is not single balloon in air, inside it has another one so that even it it is breached it will stay in air.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
^^^ That is above for you ? :D
:frusty: Plug what happen to you.

now take that red line 300 km ahead it will go up. If you dont want to hear it, no point in telling you. BTW India paid top $$$ for this, you can take what ever that means.

plugwater

it is military product, dont you think they have thought about this. It is not single balloon in air, inside it has another one so that even it it is breached it will stay in air.
LOL, what the hell are you talking, once a missile hits it, it will blow. Its filled with frigging gas.

plugwater

:frusty: Plug what happen to you.
now take that red line 300 km ahead it will go up. If you dont want to hear it, no point in telling you. BTW India paid top $$$ for this, you can take what ever that means.
How the hell it will go up ? Just because we paid lots of money does not mean it can track objects above it.
Prove me with something other than just two lines.

Plug i am out of there.
Dont runaway :D

How the hell aerostat can stay up after a missile hit ?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Satellites won't be sitting ducks if there is enemy BM launch.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
We are taking days to find even a helicopter if it goes missing!!
Terrain body detection & aerial body scanning are dissimilar things. Altitudes are different, diamesnions are different, propulsion signatures are different.

plugwater

Terrain body detection & aerial body scanning are dissimilar things. Altitudes are different, diamesnions are different, propulsion signatures are different.
Tracking a missile which is launched from a marked site might be easy but if its from some random place means ? I am not sure our satellites have that much coverage

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Tracking a missile which is launched from a marked site might be easy but if its from some random place means ? I am not sure our satellites have that much coverage
Apparently they are in process of forming constellation of such spy satellites. Silos are not random places, they are static. Its a multi-elocutionary process where inputs are received from HUMINT & SIGNIT from ground radars. And yes satellites have resolution to detect launch signature. If one has to believe words of someone close to ISRO, these next-gen sats can locate bicycle rider on ground.

Nobody marks launch locations & sit back holding cup of tea. Its a continuous process, logistics chains are identified & thus judgement are made to survey surrounding areas via aerial surveillance as well as ground assets (human/non-human)

Boost phase interception may not be possible in this part of geographical region but midcourse & terminal interception are dependable.

Now dont say what if salvo attack ? Thats a formal call for war & then interception will take backsit while offensive measures are executed.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
How could aerostat with 350km range can detect a launch from 2000km away ? I am talking funny, huh ?
You are :rofl:

Is our BMD battle proven or not ? Yes or No ? don't shoot another question!!

First learn to answer a question and then jump on someone!!
What is the point you are trying to prove? Indian BMD is a new development, so till we use it in battle we are not supposed to implement it or what

Galaxy

Country flag
No need to be pessimist on BMD. None of the BMD and most of the Air/point defense are not yet battle proven including THAAD/Arrow-3.

Although still long way to go, Swordfish with 1500Km range and various testing phase of PDV is yet to be done. It was scheduled to be done in 2011 itself. So, Most likely at least 1 year delay. Hopefully By 2014 (as per planned), AAD/PDV will be inducted in Delhi and then in other important cities. Game changer in 2017 only once AD-1,2 will be inducted.

plugwater

Nice, i expected so. Edited ******

What is the point you are trying to prove? Indian BMD is a new development, so till we use it in battle we are not supposed to implement it or what
Just wanted to hear from you about our BMD whether it is battle proven or not! If you have any guts you would answer my question instead of assuming things.

Last edited by a moderator:

arya

Country flag
I would be happy if the system works in a real situation.As for incoming Chinese missiles part, we will know the true effectiveness only when it happens.
so we have to taste poison whether its effective or not wakeup man fact is that they can hit us and now we need agni5 badly i mean badly

Galaxy

Country flag
so we have to taste poison whether its effective or not wakeup man fact is that they can hit us and now we need agni5 badly i mean badly
BMD are never 100% accurate and effective. MiRV, MaRV, SLBM, LRQM with terrain hugging are few things which can never be detected and destroyed with 100% probability.

But having said that, BMD has very strong physiological effect. No country will risk even it can work as 80-85% interception and kill ratio. For 15%-20% probability of destruction, 2nd Strike capability from K-15,K-4 SLBM will be total destruction for enemy and then enemy country existence will come in picture.

Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Just wanted to hear from you about our BMD whether it is battle proven or not! If you have any guts you would answer my question instead of assuming things.
If that is all you wanted to know till now? Well it Your posts ranged from "will it work in real situations?" When asked about what are those real situations, you jumped to a ridiculous theory of "unknown enemy missile", when asked what is so much unknown, you jumped to another ridiculous "multiple missiles multiple projectiles " theory and arrived to conclusion of "economically infeasible". When asked to prove your assertions, you changed the track again.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i don't know if you guys are aware that there is a 3 part video in youtube where mr.sararswat is giving a power point presentation on our current and future missiles to a group of audience.there i saw when he was speaking on bmd programme he stated that drdo was working on multiple kill vehicles on our aad/pdv to defeat mirv's.can anyone here contribute someting on this subject

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrsCIRZHozkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_xOBWlPAR4
India's Missile Programme: Past, present & future by Dr. V.K. Saraswat 02 of 03 [audio fixed] - YouTube
India's Missile Programme: Past, present & future by Dr. V.K. Saraswat 03 of 03 [audio fixed] - YouTube

Last edited:

p2prada

Plugwater is right in the point he is making. SAMs need to be battle proven. The US brought Patriots into their theater. All it did was fail to shoot down enemy missiles and shells and did very well in shooting down friendly aircraft like Tornados and Hornets. In other words it failed even after it was deemed operationally employable.

The only thing concrete against a ballistic missile is another ballistic missile. BMD is passive deterrence and we know "Deterrence is not warfighting."

The Americans have radars that can track cruise missiles from 3000Km away, even they don't promise fool proof security to their denizens. By end 2012 they will have global capability in tracking any aircraft, missile or rocket from only heat signatures using satellites. The Americans still don't claim fool proof capability against missiles and won't be claiming the same for quite some time. The Indian BMD, if it works even to 50% of it's claimed performance is a major success. Tracking and killing a BM is extremely difficult and there is no guarantee it works even after successful tracking.

Cruise missiles, once detected, are easy to kill. Fighters can chase and kill CMs using WVR missiles. A lucky gun shot will do the trick too.

Real BMD system that India will deploy is only after 2017 when Phase II is ready. Until then the Russian claims of BMD protection is more assuring and the Americans know the Russian BMD cannot stop their ballistic missiles.

The real purpose of a BMD is to force the enemy in an endless arms race in missiles. A 50% saturation probability will mean the Pakistanis will need twice the number of missiles as ADs or PDVs and we know ADs and PDVs are cheaper and faster to produce than Shaheen or Gauri. So, the advantage lies with us. Missiles also work at a 50% efficiency rate, so Pakistanis will need 4 times the number instead of 2.

^^ ballistic missiles by default aren't highly maneuverable.
Mid course maneuvering is a threat to BMDs. The maneuvering warheads on Bulava are probably the biggest threat of all. Combine it with electronic warfare and we have a recipe for disaster.

Edit:Aerostats are sitting ducks. They are great for peace time operations because of costs and are meant for that only. Aerostats tell the enemy, "We are watching you." Once a war starts, we need to pack them up or they will be the first to go.

Aerostats are completely useless for BM defence simply because they look down, not up like ground radars do. Aerostats are great for CM defence, but this is not very complex. Any radar which looks down can engage CMs.

Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
^^
P2, I think, that's a wrong assumption, any radar site is guarded against intruders, or else there was no need to have fixed radar sites. They will be operational, and if destroyed, will be put back in operation. And Aerostats primary function is to use the look down mode, not the only function

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Did anyone discuss the operational doctrine for Chinese artillery (read Missiles)?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles