Air defence for NCR ready; Bangalore next

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Awacs can detect 400kms!! Are we going to intercept missile like Prahaar ?
I used AWACS as an example, There are lot of other methods too, to detect launch.

Multiple incoming missile with multiple decoys, calculate the number of interceptors needed, not economically feasible.
What calculation I should do? multiple*multiple= ..........?
What cost matrix you used to declare it economically not feasible?

Yes missiles are maneuverable in terminal phase also.
That is why multiple interceptors are launched for a single object, interceptors used gimbled warheads to destroy the hostile, no need for accurate hitting.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Its all about your processor's computing power. If you have that much of calculation capability then multiple incoming missiles, multiple decoys, maneuvers, split sec delay all are determinable variables.

None of that makes BMD unreliable system.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Dumb question but will the radars be operating 24/7 or just when a threat arises?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Dumb question but will the radars be operating 24/7 or just when a threat arises?
Lol, rest of the time tune into star plus and get your arse whipped all of a sudden??

Galaxy

Country flag
For Cruise Missiles - We will have Barak-8 (70-110 Km)
For Aircraft,UAV, Radars, AWACS - SpyDer, Akash (20-40 Km)

For BMD - AAD/PDV (Phase-I) 500-2000 Km and AD-1,2 (Phase-II) 5,000 Km

All will be deployed by 2017. Battle proven is irrelevant as All BMD and Most of the air/point defense system are not battle proven, But most of them were tested under various conditions/ranges.

Now as far as BMD is concerned. Few months similar news came New Delhi could have anti-missile shield by 2014

Exo-atmospheric PAD is just a technical demonstrator which will be replaced by PDV but not a single test took place till date. Also, The DRDO plans to upgrade the capacity of Swordfish to 1,500 km is also pending. Until, These 2 important parts are pending, One can be never be sure. So, I am bit skeptical as of now. But as DRDO official themselves said sometime back, They are planning to deploy from 2014 onward in phased manner. Hence, One need to wait for few more years with positive frame of mind.

Last edited:

trackwhack

I dont understand what the whole gang is getting workedd up over.

Firstly the system is not deployed. The article clearly states that the system is ready and will be tested soon. So two dozen posts about deploying before testing become irrelevant.

Secondly the point about decoy ballistic missiles is also not relevant. For the cost of every Ballistic missile by the enemy, we can deploy multiple BMD missiles. This was the reason that MIRV's were developed in the first place. So unless the pukes MIRV their missiles, there is no big deal in shooting down decoys too. THE LRTR can track and process 100's of incoming missiles at a time as per specifications.

Now all this is moot when we talk about China as we are talking longer range missiles and MIRV. The only effective way to neutralize China are DEW's. That will take a decade or more until deployment.

plugwater

I used AWACS as an example, There are lot of other methods too, to detect launch.
Like what ?

What calculation I should do? multiple*multiple= ..........?
What cost matrix you used to declare it economically not feasible?
Its about finding the decoys and stop wasting the number of interceptors for it.

That is why multiple interceptors are launched for a single object, interceptors used gimbled warheads to destroy the hostile, no need for accurate hitting.
Accurate hitting is somewhat needed, warhead comes in a speed of 10m/s if you thing you can take it down by hitting as random places, it will laugh at you and travel to its target.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Like what ?
Aerostats, satellite

Its about finding the decoys and stop wasting the number of interceptors for it.
On what cost matrix you arrived to conclusion of being economically infeasible?

Accurate hitting is somewhat needed, warhead comes in a speed of 10m/s if you thing you can take it down by hitting as random places, it will laugh at you and travel to its target.
What are you implying here?

plugwater

Aerostats, satellite
Aerostat has better coverage than awacs ? Nice, clearly a better option than awacs!!
Satellites ? Are you crazy ?

On what cost matrix you arrived to conclusion of being economically infeasible?
What are you implying here?
So you dont answer any of my questions but you shoot one after one !!!

Just answer this and we can finish this discussion.

Our BMD is battle proven or not ?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Aerostat has better coverage than awacs ? Nice, clearly a better option than awacs!!
Satellites ? Are you crazy ?
So according to you, these items can not detect a launch at all? You are getting funnier by the moment

So you dont answer any of my questions but you shoot one after one !!!

Just answer this and we can finish this discussion.

Our BMD is battle proven or not ?
Where was the battle to use it? Or you are still implying that a weapon system is supposed to be deployed only after it is used in a battle?

plugwater

So according to you, these items can not detect a launch at all? You are getting funnier by the moment
How could aerostat with 350km range can detect a launch from 2000km away ? I am talking funny, huh ?

Where was the battle to use it? Or you are still implying that a weapon system is supposed to be deployed only after it is used in a battle?
Is our BMD battle proven or not ? Yes or No ? don't shoot another question!!

First learn to answer a question and then jump on someone!!

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
How could aerostat with 350km range can detect a launch from 2000km away ?
you didnt get it, ok this might help you.

Just think of ballistic missile instead of cruise missile.

think of network centric operation.

plugwater

Saya, Its wrong to think of ballistic missile instead of cruise missile, both work in different ways.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Saya, Its wrong to think of ballistic missile instead of cruise missile, both work in different ways.
Plug it has radar, with which it can track missile.

you see it can look above too, not just below.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
How could aerostat with 350km range can detect a launch from 2000km away ? I am talking funny, huh ?
  • Target range of BM is 2000k i.e distance between launchsite to Target location is 2000km.
  • BM launch sites will be always close to border & far from mainland to maximize the range.
  • Now AWACS won't be detecting launch 2k away. They'll be guarding broders meaning they'll see launch say ~1k away from LoC.
  • Airborne radars with 350km range will provide adequate gap to launch interceptors with multiple target detection modules.
  • Interceptors locations are determined by calculating all these parameters.

plugwater

Plug it has radar, with which it can track missile.

you see it can look above too, not just below.
No saya, it cant see above. If you think it can prove it please!!

What if launch happens out of awacs range.. this just dont work for ballistic missile.

We can track only in terminal phase.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
few years ago when the DRDO was testing agni missile they showed a yellow aerostar radar near the test area to track the missile. That radar is from Israel and it was stationed at two places near our border with Pakistan. Now we have develop our own radar.

plugwater

few years ago when the DRDO was testing agni missile they showed a yellow aerostar radar near the test area to track the missile. That radar is from Israel and it was stationed at two places near our border with Pakistan. Now we have develop our own radar.
We launched the radar in our territory so we tracked it, i think only the launch!!
Having said that you do know that aerostat is only for peacetime, right ? In war first enemy missile is for gas balloon only :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles