Air Chief Marshal PV Naik questions ethics of 5th generation project

black eagle

Country flag
Air Chief Marshal PV Naik questions ethics of 5th generation project

Air Chief Marshal PV Naik is not a big fan of China's fifth generation aircraft programme. Without naming the neighbouring country, the air chief dropped enough hint to condemn the programme, asking if it was 'ethical'.

Worldwide it has been speculated that China has developed its fifth generation aircraft through reverse engineering. "Is reverse engineering an ethical process? Because we know of a country which recently developed a fifth generation stealth aircraft"¦ There is no R&D involved in its development. So is it (the project) ethical or an illegitimate backdoor entry?" he asked, speaking at the inauguration of the eight edition of the Aero India International Seminar on Monday.

It was evident that Naik referred to the J-20 aircraft which China recently flight tested at its Chengdu air base. The J-20 is the most keenly-watched defence aviation programme in the world since its first flight in January as many countries and defence analysts in the west have doubted China's ability to develop such a plane.

The IAF chief also called for the development of technology at a faster rate due to the rise in terrorism. "Terrorists no longer work in their traditional manner to affect the immediate surroundings, but are now targeting the 'political, sociological and economical' aspects. There is a need for global cooperation as it would benefit everyone," he said.

http://www.in.com/news/current-affa...d77c1685ef8b5ccd121e3f8f26d7b1f97970-rhp.html

mayfair

My dear Air Marshall- reverse engineered or not, ethical or not, imported and painted or not, Chinese and Pakistani fighters, missiles, nuclear weapons and other weapons are a reality and the danger they pose is very real. The question is what have we done to prepare and protect ourselves against them? Shouldn't you be more focussed on our systems, our preparedness and our combat capability?

Minghegy

I like him, keep on your way, Marshall.

People such as Karlmadi and Naik bring me happiness.

Last edited:

p2prada

It appears the ACM has ridiculed the Chinese program as is done anywhere by any other rival air power and has given a morale boost to our own program engineers for being "ethical" and indigenous with both our 5th gen developments, FGFA and AMCA.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I like him, keep on your way, Marshall.

People such as Karlmadi and Naik bring me happiness.

:lol: Man you put 2 totally opposite people on the same pedestal. The speech he's made is just an opinion vis-a-vis Indian designers and pilots. Kalmandi is the wretch who swindled this country without any ethics while Naik is a far-sighted, smart and aggressive warrior. The man has a style of working never seen before in any branch of Indian military.

Minghegy

:lol: Man you put 2 totally opposite people on the same pedestal. The speech he's made is just an opinion vis-a-vis Indian designers and pilots. Kalmandi is the wretch who swindled this country without any ethics while Naik is a far-sighted, smart and aggressive warrior. The man has a style of working never seen before in any branch of Indian military.
My mind is simple, I just like the people who bring me happiness, unfortunately both of them did. :)

sandeepdg

My mind is simple, I just like the people who bring me happiness, unfortunately both of them did. :)
Well, it won't much of a deal for your simple mind to post something worthwhile, would it ?

anoop_mig25

Country flag
well ethical or not i know only one thing that machine can do its job and if we did n`t accelerate our programmes one day china would do mischief and that day we would have no one to support us accept self

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Well, I don't care what Naik finds "ethical" or not. American missile technology was "generously influenced" by german scientist (read Nazis) and Germany's own V2 rocket program. Soviet nuclear weapons program started from stolen blueprints and data by Dr Klaus Fuchs. India's own missile program was a backdoor entry through our "space program". So, pointing the finger at China for ethical violation in weapons development is useless and "unethical" too. At best you can say China does it more blatantly and more often - but that's about it.

singa

My dear Air Marshall- reverse engineered or not, ethical or not, imported and painted or not, Chinese and Pakistani fighters, missiles, nuclear weapons and other weapons are a reality and the danger they pose is very real. The question is what have we done to prepare and protect ourselves against them? Shouldn't you be more focussed on our systems, our preparedness and our combat capability?
You are right. Air Marshall is insane now.

Atul

Founding Member
Ethics is not a word that comes in the Chinese Dictionary. probably it is un-heard and un-said hence un-practiced...
all the Chinese weapons are synonymous with either some Russian, European or American Weapon Platform. this Chinese practice of replicating foreign technologies is a major concern for INDIA.

While we still have our Stealth fighter on the Drawing boards, they have a proto-type ready.

so does it mean we re-think our ethics by going the Chinese Way of Cloning weapons, or go with our own pace of development.

Ethically speaking, ethics will not help us if there is war...:confused1:

Last edited:

prahladh

Respected Member
When it comes to Defense either you have it or you don't.

Crusader53

Ethics is not a word that comes in the Chinese Dictionary. probably it is un-heard and un-said hence un-practiced...
all the Chinese weapons are synonymous with either some Russian, European or American Weapon Platform. this Chinese practice of replicating foreign technologies is a major concern for INDIA.

While we still have our Stealth fighter on the Drawing boards, they have a proto-type ready.

so does it mean we re-think our ethics by going the Chinese Way of Cloning weapons, or go with our own pace of development.

Ethically speaking, ethics will not help us if there is war...:confused1:

Clearly. China ethics or lack thereof has is little to do with the threat or it's capabilities.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
How stupid is this? Naik should be pressing for HAL/ADA to press for AMCA faster.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The saying goes 'Everything is Fair in Love and War'.

Therefore, Naik is wrong.

Sour grapes!

War itself is Unethical!

RebateKing

Agree, a recent survey showed over half of pc users in China are using pirated/cracked software, costing US software companies billions of dollars.

The best way for India to catch up is to partner with the strongest player, working with a weak player on a crucial project suffers from the very same disadvantage of doing it reverse engineering, it has no guaranteed future roadmap.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles