Ahmedabad metro to run on wind power

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
oh really do you know how the car charges itself from the run? Use your brain and tell me where that energy comes from

And dear boy you said carbon print for manufacture and travel not about electricity consumption. And any link to show hat the consumption of a electric car in term of electricity is less than that for tvset ?

Again how many watts of electricity can be generated from that much gallons of petrol. Do the math and then tell me how I am wrong.
now get owned liked a n00b :troll: and now watch me how i own you like a boss. i told you to do some research before commenting like a idiot.

oh really do you know how the car charges itself from the run? Use your brain and tell me where that energy comes from
have you been in car? if yes, then does that car have any battery? yes, because every car has a battery. so how does it charge? :rofl:

do u know how chevy volt and toyota prius work?

do u know chevy volt is a plug-in electric car and prius is not? only volt needs to be charged not prius :troll: do u know prius has 2 motors while volt have only 1 motor?

do you even know know that toyota prius has 2 car engines or power source in other term :rofl:

watch the below videos

here is another video explaining how toyota hybrid system works

How does a hybrid work? | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

how toyota prius works

Hybrid Synergy Drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the "standard" car design the alternator (AC generator) and starter (DC motor) are considered accessories that are attached to the internal combustion engine (ICE) which normally drives a transmission to power the wheels propelling the vehicle. A battery is used only to start the car's internal combustion engine and run accessories when the engine is not running. The alternator is used to recharge the battery and run the accessories when the engine is running. HSD replaces the gear box (transmission), alternator and starter motor with a pair of powerful motor-generators[7] (designated MG1 and MG2, ~60 Hp total) with a computerized shunt system to control them, a mechanical power splitter that acts as a second differential, and a battery pack that serves as an energy reservoir. The motor-generator uses power from the battery pack to propel the vehicle at startup and at low speeds or under acceleration. The ICE may or may not be running at startup. When higher speeds, faster acceleration or more power for charging the batteries is needed the ICE is started by the motor-generator (acting as a starter). These features allow the ICE to normally be turned off for traffic stops—accessory power (including air conditioning if needed) is normally provided by the battery pack.

When a moving vehicle operator wants the vehicle to slow down, the initial travel of the brake pedal engages the motor-generator(s) into generator mode converting much of the forward motion into electrical current flow which is used to recharge the batteries while slowing down the vehicle. In this way the forward momentum regenerates (or converts) much of the energy used to accelerate the vehicle back into stored electrical energy. (See regenerative braking) Harder braking action engages standard front disk and rear drum (rear disk for 2010 and later models) brakes which are also provided for faster stops and emergency use.

MG1 and MG2

MG1 (motor generator 1): generates electrical power. MG1 recharges the EV battery and supplies electrical power to drive MG2. In addition, by regulating the amount of electrical power generated (thus varying MG1's internal resistance and rpm), MG1 effectively controls the transaxle's continuously variable transmission. MG1 also serves as the engine starter motor, hence the use of the term "motor generator" for MG1 rather than simply "generator".[8]

MG2 (motor generator 2): drives the vehicle. MG2 drives the wheels with electrical power generated by the engine and MG1. This is the motor portion of its "motor generator" capabilities. Like any electrical motor, MG2 provides a smooth (nearly imperceptible) acceleration from standstill to forward (or reverse) motion. During regenerative braking, MG2 acts as a generator, converting kinetic energy into electrical energy, storing this electrical energy in the battery, driving the engine (when an engine braking mode is enabled), or dissipating the electrical energy as heat (when the batteries are fully charged).[8]

And any link to show hat the consumption of a electric car in term of electricity is less than that for tvset ?
The car[chevy volt] will cost "less than purchasing a cup of your favorite coffee" to recharge, and use less electricity annually than a refrigerator.

GM debuts the Chevy Volt- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

And dear boy you said carbon print for manufacture and travel not about electricity consumption
it's not problem if u do not read about the part where i talked about electricity consumption. but the above quote summarizes it all.

how chevy volts works

do anyone still want to say that hybrid electric cars are not eco friendly :accepted:

He is thinking he knows everything. Leave him dude
before criticizing about others at least first educate yourself.

you are talking to the proud owner of those 2 cars :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
UTK, we are not discussing cost w.r.t. electric cars. We are discussing pollution.

POLLUTION - being discussed.
COST - not being discussed.

Got it?

Now chill!

P.S.: I have not even once mentioned hybrid cars. If you can, then quote me. You need to learn to read before responding.
wht can we do when you delibrately do not read about the pollutions in my previous posts. see below my previous post.

I have not even once mentioned hybrid cars. If you can, then quote me.

The only advantage with electric cars is that they do not spew emissions in the middle of the cities. However, the more we convert energy from one form to another, the more energy is lost. Electric cars are not quite energy efficient. Now I don't want to get started with the amount of hazardous chemicals used to make batteries, and how the disposal of used batteries harm the environment.
in modern terminology hybrid cars can also be referred to electric cars, fuel cell cars, HSD systems and plug-in cars..

Electric cars are not quite energy efficient. Now I don't want to get started with the amount of hazardous chemicals used to make batteries, and how the disposal of used batteries harm the environment
so your bubble has been busted. read my previous posts.

pmaitra

wht can we do when you delibrately do not read about the pollutions in my previous posts. see below my previous post.
I am deliberately not reading your posts because they are irrelevant. My point was about electric cars using electricity generated from coal and oil burning power stations. I have no interest in how much money you spend running your car. So what can you do? Well, when you quote me, read properly. This is what you can do.

in modern terminology hybrid cars can also be referred to electric cars, fuel cell cars, HSD systems and plug-in cars..
Wrong. Electric cars and hybrid cars are different.

so your bubble has been busted. read my previous posts.
My bubble will burst the day you prove that electricity grows on trees. As of today, most of the world's electricity comes from fossil fuels. So sorry, you have to try harder, unless you want to create a straw-man and keep arguing about it.

Edit: Also, that thing you mentioned about hybrid cars having zero emission is absolute BS. I hope you do some proper research.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Hi.
I read through some of the first few pages and I have a question: The article says
dedicated wind farm for the Metro project.
What does that mean?

Proper way of doing it would be the Wind farm injecting power into the electric grid, and the electric grid supply power to the metro system. The electric grid is kinda like the safe in your house: Money from different sources enter the safe and money goes to different activities as and when required. The electric grid ensures that failure at a power station or wind farm does not affect the entire system as more power will be drawn from other parts of the system.
It only makes sense that the metro is attached to this system rather than having a 'dedicated' wind farm.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Hi.
I read through some of the first few pages and I have a question: The article says What does that mean?

Proper way of doing it would be the Wind farm injecting power into the electric grid, and the electric grid supply power to the metro system. The electric grid is kinda like the safe in your house: Money from different sources enter the safe and money goes to different activities as and when required. The electric grid ensures that failure at a power station or wind farm does not affect the entire system as more power will be drawn from other parts of the system.
It only makes sense that the metro is attached to this system rather than having a 'dedicated' wind farm.
That is my understanding too. A 'dedicated' wind farm will generate power and all of that will be used for running the metro. In case of failure, the main grid will supply the needed power. To run a metro system in the city of Ahmedabad, the wind farms will have to be massively huge; so it is my understanding, wind energy will only be a tiny fraction of the total energy needed to run the metro system.

Now, using solar energy will be prohibitively expensive.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
That is my understanding too. A 'dedicated' wind farm will generate power and all of that will be used for running the metro. In case of failure, the main grid will supply the needed power. To run a metro system in the city of Ahmedabad, the wind farms will have to be massively huge; so it is my understanding, wind energy will only be a tiny fraction of the total energy needed to run the metro system.

Now, using solar energy will be prohibitively expensive.
Yeah. The thing is the word 'dedicated' makes no sense to me in this context. Once power enters the electric grid, there is no way to distinguish saying, "Oh there's the power from the nuclear power station and there's the power from the wind farm and look it's going to the metro. Nice". Its all part of the grid.

And yeah, solar energy would be too costly and inefficient for such large projects.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
I am deliberately not reading your posts because they are irrelevant. My point was about electric cars using electricity generated from coal and oil burning power stations. I have no interest in how much money you spend running your car. So what can you do? Well, when you quote me, read properly. This is what you can do.

Wrong. Electric cars and hybrid cars are different.

My bubble will burst the day you prove that electricity grows on trees. As of today, most of the world's electricity comes from fossil fuels. So sorry, you have to try harder, unless you want to create a straw-man and keep arguing about it.

Edit: Also, that thing you mentioned about hybrid cars having zero emission is absolute BS. I hope you do some proper research.
I am deliberately not reading your posts because they are irrelevant. My point was about electric cars using electricity generated from coal and oil burning power stations.

you do not want to read other post's because you are closed minded. :lol: in texas, we get electricity from clean nuclear energy. even if you get electricity by materials like coal, hybrid(including electric) cars are still cleaner and cheaper compared to other cars. plug-in cars like volt still consumes less electricity than running your fridge. so it's still cheaper and cleaner. :rofl: :rofl:

your tall claim in post #24 has been busted

"However, the more we convert energy from one form to another, the more energy is lost. Electric cars are not quite energy efficient. Now I don't want to get started with the amount of hazardous chemicals used to make batteries, and how the disposal of used batteries harm the environment."

go back and read what exactly i typed, i said zero emission/almost zero emission. it depends on state of the car while on motion or the technology. for example, volt and prius has zero emission when the car is propelled by batteries. again your hot bubble has been busted.

go and read my previous post where i posted how prius and volt car works :)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

pmaitra

you do not want to read other post's because you are closed minded. :lol: in texas, we get electricity from clean nuclear energy. even if you get electricity by materials like coal, hybrid(including electric) cars are still cleaner and cheaper compared to other cars. plug-in cars like volt still consumes less electricity than running your fridge. so it's still cheaper and cleaner. :rofl: :rofl:

your tall claim in post #24 has been busted

"However, the more we convert energy from one form to another, the more energy is lost. Electric cars are not quite energy efficient. Now I don't want to get started with the amount of hazardous chemicals used to make batteries, and how the disposal of used batteries harm the environment."

go back and read what exactly i typed, i said zero emission/almost zero emission. it depends on state of the car while on motion or the technology. for example, volt and prius has zero emission when the car is propelled by batteries. again your hot bubble has been busted.

go and read my previous post where i posted how prius and volt car works :)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
How was my claim that more energy changes form, more energy is lost, busted? Please show me. You can keep saying that to yourself, but you have done nothing but coronated yourself the winner.

So you agree that hybrid cars do not cause zero emission, right? Yes or no? You do pour gasoline into your hybrid car, don't you? What happens to that gasoline? Gets converted into sweet manna?

Speaking of Texas, why don't you read the link I posted? Not all of Texas' electricity comes from N-stations.

Moreover, I understand that you have an emotional attachment with your Prius, and it was never my intention to bash your car. However, if you are going to hijack my arguments on an electric car into an argument on hybrid cars, and then take it personally, then that is your problem, and I feel sorry for you. Sure, Prius is a good engineering effort, and I appreciate that, but if you are going to make claims that it is zero emission, then you are asking to be debated. The Prius still needs one gallon of gasoline to travel ~50 miles, so it is not zero or almost zero emission, but yes, significantly less than average cars.

Now, if you drive an electric car, you use energy that is generated from coal or oil burning stations (small portion could be nuclear or other sources), and then that power is transferred over the grids and substations and then to your home and then you plug your car in to charge. All the power you use, plus all the power lost in transmission, sums up to a lot of coal/oil burnt, and therefore, you are responsible for all the pollution that is resultant from your charging your car. Hope you are getting my point. Electric cars are not pollution free. They just transfer the location of emission; they do not nullify emission.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Read my links that I have posted. Read what happened in Texas. Then see if you still have these very questions that you are asking me.
I have read all of your links and they're just speculations, it's not gonna harm environment, rising temp of local level is not a big issue.

aeroblogger

pmaitra;517800[B said:
Electric cars are not pollution free. They just transfer the location of emission; they do not nullify emission.[/B]
They transfer the point of emission, but they also result in less emissions because they are more efficient.

aeroblogger

I have read all of your links and they're just speculations, it's not gonna harm environment, rising temp of local level is not a big issue.
There's no doubt that there are harmful effects from wind farms. But that isn't the question - the question is whether the upsides of the wind farm outweighs the downsides of the wind farm. And the answer to that question is a resounding yes most of the time.

And any harmful effects of wind farms pale in comparison the the harmful effects of other energy sources that we use today.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
now that UTK has proved to be a moron with th brain of a two year old let me actually own him.

Mr. Idiota , no matter how many motors are used the energy comes from petrol got it? The dynamo used to charge the batteries charge by the kinetic energy from the petrol used in the cars got it? In the end the electrical energy which is used ultimately gets it from petrol got? That's why i asked you to use your brain. But you got bitch slapped :taunt1:. :pound:

Mr. Moron as I already wrote which you should have read , I was talking about electric cars running on coal generated electricity. Hope you know English. Contrary to your stupid assumption I for one was discussing about the general world not your stupid Texas. I don't give a ---- which hole you are sitting in. Both pmaitra and I were discussing about electric cars regarding pollution not cost(which your peanut sized brain refused to read) .I'm the world we live in and about what we were discussing, electricity comes primarily from fossil fuels. Hence the electric cars are not as clean as they show.

For further info read about
1. Physics book sixth standard- on conservation of energy law

2. Dynamos used for charging batteries in the cars and how they work from eigth standard physics book

3.and English from sixth standard to understand what others are saying.

What a retard :doh:

Oh god why are you making me talk with these retard with peanut sized brains and yet thinking he knows everything there is to know:frusty:. What a waste of oxygen:tsk:

Last edited:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Most Electric hybrids don't (directly) use kinetic energy of internal combustion engine. Doing that energy conversion directly via a dynamo would be counterproductive.

Instead, they use regenerative braking, i.e convert kinetic energy which would have gone to waste into electric energy.

Electric cars are cleaner as power plants which burn fossil fuels are much more energy efficient compared to a small internal combustion engine.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
@ pmaitra dude, hybrid car also causes the same amount of pollution as electric car. May be the engines are efficient to prevent loss of heat but still it is motors zero emission. Even in hybrid cars the power generated by kinetic energy of the car and friction still comes from the petrol used in th car and the electricity used to charge it.

@Morons the power in the electric cars not created out of thin air . No energy is created out of thin air. The energy comes from conversion of chemical energy stored in the petrol which gets converted into the thermal
energy ,which is used for generation of mechanic energy/kinetic energy in petrol cars. In case of hybrid cars,part of this mechanical energy is converted into electricity with he help of friction. If at ll there is brain in the head use it to understand that electricity comes from petrol itself even in hybrid cars nd not created out of thin air.

That said I or pmaitra never said electric car are more polluting just that they are not zero pollution stuff as made out in the media. It takes some brains and proper set of eyes to understand this:tsk:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Most Electric hybrids don't (directly) use kinetic energy of internal combustion engine. Doing that energy conversion directly via a dynamo would be counterproductive.

Instead, they use regenerative braking, i.e convert kinetic energy which would have gone to waste into electric energy.

Electric cars are cleaner as power plants which burn fossil fuels are much more energy efficient compared to a small internal combustion engine.
A where does the braking in the kinetic energy comes from? Ultimately gasoline. It can at best be described as some thing which reduces the heat loss from brakes, an this heat loss is a energy lost from petrol:heh:

The point is never about here they are less polluting or not but that they are not zero emission stuff as shown in media.

I agree that electricity cars/hybrid cars are less polluting but it does not mean zero polluting cars.

Last edited:

pmaitra

They transfer the point of emission, but they also result in less emissions because they are more efficient.
If you live in a city that is supplied with electricity generated from a plant that burns coal and bitumen and you charge your electric car in that city everyday, then your electric car is producing a lot more pollution than a four stroke gasoline engine.

Most of the electricity in the world is produced from fossil fuels.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
A where does the braking in the kinetic energy comes from? Ultimately gasoline. It can at best be described as some thing which reduces the heat loss from brakes, an this heat loss is a energy lost from petrol:heh:
The Chevy Volt which utk mentioned is a "Plug in Hybrid" vehicle. It can be charged directly via a power socket

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
The Chevy Volt which utk mentioned in a "Plug in Hybrid" vehicle. Along with regenerative braking, it can be charged directly via a power socket
Dude ? Ok where does th energy from the socket comes from ?:rolleyes:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So long it is wind power it is fine.

All this should not be mere 'gas'. :)

Global Defence

New threads

Articles