Ahmedabad metro to run on wind power

Tolaha

They usually have batteries as back up. That is why it is a bit more expensive to have wind power. There can always be a secondary line of conventional power just in case entire wind energy stops which usually never happens. Wind mills are usually put in areas that have certain amount of wind year round. It comes with a lot of research on the wind pattern.
Imagine the kind of batteries that would need to store power enough to run the entire metro for a hour. Wind speed is never consistent. To get over daily as well as seasonal variations, reserve wind farms will have to be factored in even though they may be rarely used. All such storage solutions increase the cost of power that is already expensive. Wind power is a great idea but not convinced by the OP that it can be used as a primary source to power metros. All this ofcourse, if people are no longer concerned about "prohibitive costs"! :rolleyes:

20 MW dedicated line for metro.Hmmm...If it's not fulfilled by wind, govt would use solar energy for it.Big deal huh...."©"©And somebody was complaining that what would happen if wind stops.Engineers won't setup windfarm at any place which has not continuous wind supply.They're not dumb.
Exactly, engineers are not dumb. If you were wondering why such non-conventional sources of energy are not being exclusively used to run public transport systems anywhere in the world, you have found the answer to it yourself!

I'd hate to be one in a bunch of hippies jumping up and down in glee while driving an 'environment friendly' electric car, little realizing the amount of coal or fuel oil that was burnt to generate this electricity.
Governments world over, subsidize coal powered automobiles, as they are good for the environment! :shocked:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
ok first of all it is not gonna function only on wind energy. It Will have back ups from non conventional "and" conventional sources of power. The thing which should be noted is the additional generation capacity of 20MW added as wind generator. And fyi wind energy is the most environment friendly power generation of all available sources and are the second cheapest next only to hydro plant. Do some research as I am saying this from my tenth standard geogrAphy book.

Btw I don't know what people are the"discussing" about here . Are we living upto our reputation of argumentative Indian:D

Last edited:

parijataka

Country flag
And what happens when there is not enough wind on a particular day? Passengers wait until wind starts blowing again? I can understand if wind power is used for a very small percentage of the power requirements. The article makes it sound like the trains will run solely on wind power!
I am sure the govt agencies have made an analysis of the same, project was proposed by state govt in 2005 and approved by central govt in 2006. So this has been in pipeline for some time. In any case it is a good idea to save on some conventional non-renewable sources of energy and use renewable.

pmaitra

Governments world over, subsidize coal powered automobiles, as they are good for the environment! :shocked:
The only advantage with electric cars is that they do not spew emissions in the middle of the cities. However, the more we convert energy from one form to another, the more energy is lost. Electric cars are not quite energy efficient. Now I don't want to get started with the amount of hazardous chemicals used to make batteries, and how the disposal of used batteries harm the environment.

People's gimmicks sometimes blow over my head.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Oftentimes, whenever anything new comes up, it is presented as 'development,' and people tend to lap it up. It also happened when many automobile companies switched to aluminium alloys from cast iron for their cylinder blocks, thinking it was a step forward, when it was quite to the contrary.

In any event, apart from the links I have provided, here is an interesting video:

And another one:

The question is, how cost effective will this endeavour be? Also, will the benefits outweigh the negative effects these wind-mills create?

I'd hate to be one in a bunch of hippies jumping up and down in glee while driving an 'environment friendly' electric car, little realizing the amount of coal or fuel oil that was burnt to generate this electricity.

Now, coming to solar power supplanting loss of power when there is no wind, all I have to say, it is too impractical, and costly. For any investor, that is a non-starter.

Pmaitra please read this link

Business Line : Industry & Economy / Economy : India's installed power capacity crosses 2 lakh MW

Here is an excerpt for your pleasure and information

" 24,503 MW in renewable energy. "

Your post is nothing but a BS because INDIA already has 24, 503 MW of renewable energy
of which wind power is the biggest contributor

Last edited by a moderator:

pankaj nema

Country flag
In any event, let Modi have his moment of glory.
Your post shows your grief about Modi's success and popularity

Modi's moment of glory as you have put ; will come in December when he wins the Gujarat polls again

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
The only advantage with electric cars is that they do not spew emissions in the middle of the cities. However, the more we convert energy from one form to another, the more energy is lost. Electric cars are not quite energy efficient. Now I don't want to get started with the amount of hazardous chemicals used to make batteries, and how the disposal of used batteries harm the environment.

People's gimmicks sometimes blow over my head.
Ok nuclear energy is any day less polluting than coal by lets say hundreds of fraction. So even if the every loss is there the inefficiency can't be as high to cause as much pollution as fossil fuels.

The only unconventional source of energy more polluting than coal/gas is solar power. This is because of the CO2from manufActure of silicon needed for the photo voltage cells.

And wind energy a an environment polluters is absolute bs man.

And India has a potential to generate 45000MW of wind power generation;)

Tolaha

Pmaitra please read this link

Business Line : Industry & Economy / Economy : India's installed power capacity crosses 2 lakh MW

Here is an excerpt for your pleasure and information

" 24,503 MW in renewable energy. "

Your post is nothing but a BS because INDIA already has 24, 503 MW of renewable energy
of which wind power is the biggest contributor
What's your point? :noidea: Nobody here has said that India is not generating wind power or that it should not be used!

pankaj nema

Country flag
What's your point? :noidea: Nobody here has said that India is not generating wind power or that it should not be used!
My point is very simple AND I am sure you know it

The point is that GOOD things happening in Gujarat are dismissed as GIMMICKS
simply because sickularists cannot stand MODI

Tolaha

Wind turbines are noisy! :D

We were referring to electric vehicles being equated to environment messaihs while ignoring that the electricity used to charge these vehicles come from dirty, sooty coal! Eventual net effect being harm to the environment as much as, if not more, like the petrol guzzling old tech cars!

Tolaha

My point is very simple AND I am sure you know it

The point is that GOOD things happening in Gujarat are dismissed as GIMMICKS
simply because sickularists cannot stand MODI
Your point isn't that simple you know. Are you saying each and every action that happens in Gujarat by the government has to be the best possible solution to the problem and that is because it is run by Modi?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag

We were referring to electric vehicles being equated to environment messaihs while ignoring that the electricity used to charge these vehicles come from dirty, sooty coal! Eventual net effect being harm to the environment as much as, if not more, like the petrol guzzling old tech cars!
My point is replace coal with renewable source of energy or nuclear power and suddenly not so environment friendly electric car is suddenly environmental friendly. One such example is France which meets 70% of its energy from nuclear power:bounce:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Your point isn't that simple you know. Are you saying each and every action that happens in Gujarat by the government has to be the best possible solution to the problem and that is because it is run by Modi?
Why is it not happening in other states as often as in Gujarat? :D

pmaitra

Your post shows your grief about Modi's success and popularity

Modi's moment of glory as you have put ; will come in December when he wins the Gujarat polls again
You are absolutely right.

My grief arises not out of wind mills (that are good because they are renewable but also bad because they have their ill effects), but out of this apical frenzy of some authors, like that of the OP, that portrays Modi as the harbinger of modern marvels of human civilization into the lives of the ignorant masses that inhabit this land.

Surely, this personality cult and fanboyism is deeply disturbing.

pmaitra

Why is it not happening in other states as often as in Gujarat? :D
Let's say, it is not happening in other states because it is not a good solution, or, they will do it when they are convinced it is a good solution.

You cannot run an urban railway network on wind energy alone.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Imagine the kind of batteries that would need to store power enough to run the entire metro for a hour. Wind speed is never consistent. To get over daily as well as seasonal variations, reserve wind farms will have to be factored in even though they may be rarely used. All such storage solutions increase the cost of power that is already expensive. Wind power is a great idea but not convinced by the OP that it can be used as a primary source to power metros. All this ofcourse, if people are no longer concerned about "prohibitive costs"! :rolleyes: "¨"¨"¨"¨Exactly, engineers are not dumb. If you were wondering why such non-conventional sources of energy are not being exclusively used to run public transport systems anywhere in the world, you have found the answer to it yourself!"¨"¨"¨"¨"¨Governments world over, subsidize coal powered automobiles, as they are good for the environment! :shocked:
"¨"©"¨Eng never put such farms in such an area which doesn't have constant wind supply in the 1st place than why such hallagulla about wind speed and supply."©The initial cost is always high in setting up eco friendly power station.But it will give you eco friendly power which is always welcomed.The reason is, our traditional sources are being used very fast.Petroleum is gonna be empty in 100years as per current available sources and coal is no longer available after 200 odd years."©"©And it's an initiative, we have to think about alternative power sources before we become helpless.If even 10% of power supply of this Metro will be from such energy, I will be happy.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Is there a better solution that Wind power in this particular case
If so you please write it to Gujarat govt

Now coming to Modi

Gujarat is RUN by Modi So It is natural that Gujarat's success will be claimed by Modi
and will further strengthen Modi's position in National politics

Of course Gujarat has a very talented pool of entrepreneurs who are instrumental
in Gujarat's progress

BUT just as PM MMS can claim that ALL of India's progress
post 1991 is his creation SO too can Modi claim his ROLE in Gujarat's progress

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Let's say, it is not happening in other states because it is not a good solution, or, they will do it when they are convinced it is a good solution."¨"¨You cannot run an urban railway network on wind energy alone.
"¨"¨"©Or let's say, they lack such admin skills which used and applied for benefit of people.This makes more sense.

Tolaha

"¨"©"¨Eng never put such farms in such an area which doesn't have constant wind supply in the 1st place than why such hallagulla about wind speed and supply."©The initial cost is always high in setting up eco friendly power station.But it will give you eco friendly power which is always welcomed.The reason is, our traditional sources are being used very fast.Petroleum is gonna be empty in 100years as per current available sources and coal is no longer available after 200 odd years."©"©And it's an initiative, we have to think about alternative power sources before we become helpless.
I am aware about the advantages of wind power. If anything in my posts made you feel that I am opposed to wind farms, then you are mistaken.

If even 10% of power supply of this Metro will be from such energy, I will be happy.
True, that would be terrific. However, it wont be a wind power driven metro then!

pmaitra

I never said wind mills cause pollution, but yes, they do - sound pollution.

The only BS in this entire conversation is you not reading my posts. ;)

Here you go, someone has already explained:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles