Ahmadinejad 'willing to hold a debate with Obama'

Neil

Country flag
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says he is willing to have "face-to-face" talks with his US counterpart, Barack Obama.

In a televised speech to expatriate Iranians, Mr Ahmadinejad said he was ready to hold a debate with the US leader in front of the media.

He said he planned to be in the US for the UN General Assembly next month.

The US has not had direct diplomatic ties with Iran for more than 30 years.

The move comes after fresh sanctions by the international community over Iran's nuclear programme.

The White House has yet to respond to the challenge but has previously declined similar offers.

"We are ready to sit down with Mr Obama face-to-face and put the global issues on the table, man-to-man, freely, and in front of the media and see whose solutions are better. We think this is a better approach," Mr Ahmadinejad said.

Missed opportunities
The Iranian leader, who maintains that US policy favours its rival, Israel, said that former US President George W Bush had never taken Iran's offer up because he was "scared".

Washington also refused a similar offer last September.

"We are ready to have high level talk based on mutual respect and dignity... but if you think you can brandish a stick so that we accept all that you say, that will not happen," he said, in front of a cheering crowd.

He said that Mr Obama "overly values Zionists" and had missed taking advantage of "historic opportunities" to change relations between the two countries.

Shortly after coming to power, Mr Obama had extended an offer of diplomacy towards Iran, but relations have since deteriorated.

The US and its allies accuse Tehran of seeking to develop nuclear weapons. Iran insists its nuclear programme is solely for peaceful purposes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-10839986

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
He had offered once in the past too i think. Looks like Ajad is a very persistent man. US had rejected it the last time. I am sure they will do the same again.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Ahmadinejad is depicted in the U.S. media as a "Holocaust-denying, Jew-killing jihadist".

In reality he is quite an intelligent man. Just watch an unbiased interview of him, and it will quell any doubts.

VersusAllOdds

I with both replies. I'm pretty sure he would beat just about any American official in an open debate, but not because he's smart or anything. Just because US side has absolutely no valid point, and because the Iranian side basically has every.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles