AH-64E Apache attack helicopter

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
The AIM 92 Stingers were initially developed from the FIM-92 Stingers for helos specific A2A missiles.

sandeepdg

It's a flying rodent for God's sake.
That may the case, yeah its ugly looking. But its one hell of an awesome heli, probably has the most lethal firepower among all dedicated gunships in the world today.

But, what tilted the scales for the Apache is that it is more battle tested and because of its famed AN/APG-78 Longbow Fire control radar and Radar Frequency Interferometer (RFI), which has no equivalent.

Damian

probably has the most lethal firepower among all dedicated gunships in the world today.
Depens how we will define this firepower, but indeed, good attack helicopter with high level of firepower.

But, what tilted the scales for the Apache is that it is more battle tested and because of its famed AN/APG-78 Longbow Fire control radar and Radar Frequency Interferometer (RFI), which has no equivalent.
Actually AN/APG-78 is what makes AH-64D most lethal attack helicopter, especially in anti armor role.

Who need to see (by himself or by observation helicopter) enemy by using optics when You have radar and You can guide missiles by using this radar.

Not to mention that AH-64's are actually fighting in something we can name wolfpack, one heli with it's laser or radar can designate target for other helis in this wolfpack and guide other helis missiles on targets, all of them can do that, from different positions etc.

AH-64D Block III in addition to these goodies, is also capabale to guide and use UAV or UCAV, so crew can search and identify targets even before they get close enough to be in the range of enemy AA weapons.

bhramos

Country flag
how many troops can Apache carry in emergency times????
2 or 4

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Political decision played into this. Having lost MRCA, the GOI wanted to appease Americans so they handed over the gunship contract. I personally don't find AH-64 attractive or as formidable as they talk since its been largely tested against negligible militaries around the world. It is a good platform but not that godlike as they claim it to be.

My personal desire was to see the Night Hunter in IAF colors but then again, when one is dependent on external parties too much for weapons (like our case), we cannot say much. Not a good news from my POV.

Damian

I personally don't find AH-64 attractive or as formidable as they talk since its been largely tested against negligible militaries around the world.
Care to explain why Attack Helicopter with superior fire control system than any other attack helicopter is not formidabale?

Who needs super fast or super armored helicopter when this heli can just hide behind forest and attack targets from far distance not even seeing these targets.

Night Hunter in IAF colors
And have a more vurnabale machine that needs to see targets itself to enage them.

It is a good platform but not that godlike as they claim it to be.
No one claims that it is godlike, except some fanboys or other morons.

But still it is actually the best balanced design, with good survivability, mobility, combat payload and combat capabilities.

how many troops can Apache carry in emergency times????
2 or 4
2 seems to be safe, but probably there is possiblity to take 4 if needed.

Last edited:

bhramos

Country flag
Care to explain why Attack Helicopter with superior fire control system than any other attack helicopter is not formidabale?

Who needs super fast or super armored helicopter when this heli can just hide behind forest and attack targets from far distance not even seeing these targets.

And have a more vurnabale machine that needs to see targets itself to enage them.

No one claims that it is godlike, expect some fanboys or other morons.

But still it is actually the best balanced design, with good survivability, mobility, combat payload and combat capabilities.

2 seems to be safe, but probably there is possiblity to take 4 if needed.
a question for you. will Apaches be able to shoot down PA's cobra???
as usually US products dont lock or fire on US products,
they are built in that way, will Americans give us permissions to shoot them mainly cobra!!!

Immanuel

Country flag
I believe the AH-64 won for two main reasons only the need to placate Boeing for the MMRCA loss and because it was the most battle tested of it's competitors.

That said i still believe we should have gone with the Mi-28, my point is that we could have MKIsed that whirly bird and added israeli tech and maybe even the HELINA to it, fat chance of us ever getting to do that with the yanks!
Looking at the progression of the MRCA, the c-130J, c-17 and now the AH-64, it is quite clear that the IAF has been very professional in its evaluations. Rafale and EF were downlisted because they had the best overall performance and closest in complaince with over 600 parameters evaluated. C-130J has no proper competition because all the other aircraft in class are either under developement or have piss poor after sales service records. Besides C-130J in it's class has no worthy opponent. Furthermore c-130J was only ordered after extensive testing under Indian conditions. C-17 too has a similar story going for it. AH-64 clearly out performed in atleast 20 parameters against the mi-28. Clearly for the IAF AH-64 meets its requirement most. AH-64 block 3 is truly an amazing bird and brings in high end technology which no amount of Israeli modification can match. IAf has also acquired CBU-10% SFW, Harpoons. IN is the process of acquiring P-8I, Fishhawk torpedos.

EU and Israeli weapons have always been integrated into many US made platforms. There is no reason why Helina wont be integrated onto AH-64.

Both IN and IAF have been very careful and professional while going for new equipment. They have gone in for the best that suit their requirments and the technically superior contenders. IA does the same but IA has had terrible luck in such matters. There is no reason to doubt their resolve to go for 'the equipment' that gives them the adequate capacity to defend our country.

Damian

they are built in that way, will Americans give us permissions to shoot them mainly cobra!!!
I do not belive that they do this in that way, US have completely different way to control how their weapons are used by foreing customers. Besides this, PA AH-1's are really, really old, and di not had any avionics and other electronics upgrades.

Besides this, even if You can't use missiles, use automatic cannon, it is guided on targets by gunner head move, You just look on to target and pull the trigger.

Immanuel

Country flag
aha good question...however, we are ahead of that...we didnt sign the CISMOA which prevents a lot of US made sensitive systems to be put on our birds. Whcih means just like the P-8I, C-17, C-130J...ah-64 too will end up having home made IFF. US made IFF recognise other US made IFF as friend. But our aircraft won't. Our aircraft will have our own datalinks. so no worries.

bhramos

Country flag
I do not belive that they do this in that way, US have completely different way to control how their weapons are used by foreing customers. Besides this, PA AH-1's are really, really old, and di not had any avionics and other electronics upgrades.

Besides this, even if You can't use missiles, use automatic cannon, it is guided on targets by gunner head move, You just look on to target and pull the trigger.
that is good one,

aha good question...however, we are ahead of that...we didnt sign the CISMOA which prevents a lot of US made sensitive systems to be put on our birds. Whcih means just like the P-8I, C-17, C-130J...ah-64 too will end up having home made IFF. US made IFF recognise other US made IFF as friend. But our aircraft won't. Our aircraft will have our own datalinks. so no worries.
will US allow us strip it and put our system in it.?
i think we have signed a end user agreement???

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
The Apache can similarly carry infantry in extreme cases -

DVIDS - Video - Helicopter Rescue

There are reports of this for the Royal marines too.

Strapped to Apaches and dodging fire, how troops recovered fallen comrade | World news | The Guardian

But you must remember, a helo gunship is NOT designed for this role. The Apache is an attack chopper, and is extremely maneuverable with awesome firepower. The Mi-28 is nowhere as battle tested as the Apache and yes, the Apache has been used against the Iraqis in Gulf war 1, who had pretty good armor and SAMs too.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Even mki is not battle tested. Does that means it is a bad fighter?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Who will train IAF personnel, and where?

Damian

Even mki is not battle tested. Does that means it is a bad fighter?
Did someone said that Mi-28 is a bad attack helicopter? No, so where is problem?

AH-64D have just higher combat capabilities, especially that soon US will start manufacturing laser guided rockets with HE, FAE etc. warhaeads to replace older Hydra rockets types.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Did someone said that Mi-28 is a bad attack helicopter? No, so where is problem?

AH-64D have just higher combat capabilities, especially that soon US will start manufacturing laser guided rockets with HE, FAE etc. warhaeads to replace older Hydra rockets types.
read from the post 1 and you will see that lot of people saying that russians helo is not battle tested.

Damian

Because it is not battle tested, this don't mean it is a bad design. Probably 80-90% of modern weapon systems were never battle tested, this don't mean that all of them are bad designs.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Because it is not battle tested, this don't mean it is a bad design. Probably 80-90% of modern weapon systems were never battle tested, this don't mean that all of them are bad designs.
thats exactly what i am trying to say, few people here put "battle tested" as the main parameter while deciding the might of an helo.

Damian

thats exactly what i am trying to say, few people here put "battle tested" as the main parameter while deciding the might of an helo.
So they should first look in to technical aspects of weapon system.

And still AH-64D is better, not over all superior, but better than Mi-28N, why? I pointed it out, and several conflicts, also where AH-64 was used, says us that attack helicopters are very vurnabale to enemy AA fire, and so, they should engage targets from behind covered positions and from as long range as possible to increase their survivability.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles