Agni-VI Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM)

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i think it is journlistic error.the length is 14m and not 40m and width is 2.1m not 1.1m.also after that we testing agni-6 we can go for much longer range 15k icbm in another 2-3 years.this is a great acheivement for drdo especially asl.

olivers

i think it is journlistic error.the length is 14m and not 40m and width is 2.1m not 1.1m.also after that we testing agni-6 we can go for much longer range 15k icbm in another 2-3 years.this is a great acheivement for drdo especially asl.
Well the 1.1 meters quote is consistent with the Agni II becoming Agni IV. it's still slim. It's a single warhead variant. A VI will be a AIII version of A IV. Agni III has a capability of launching 1.5 to 2 tons. It's 55 tons in weight. So likely the two missiles were mixed or the message was all mixed up.

So I won't be surprised if the final dimensions of the missile are 1.1 x 14 meters. With a range of 8 to 10k. It's the specs of Minuteman. Minuteman is a single warhead variant. Since we already have the MIRV Agni V and Agni V+ we weill now get a Agni III+ or Agni VI with a single warhead capability. To boot Agni V+ all composite will weigh 55 tons. Composites reduce the weight of the lower stage and carry more propellant. Payload weight was reduced by 60% in Agni V by using composites. Imagine an all composite missile with the dimensions of Agni V. That's one of the missiles. An all composite variant of Agni III with a shared DNA with Agni II +. That's the other missile a thinner 1.1 meter diameter missile 14 meters in length. We already have every technology in place. It's just a matter of fabricating it and testing it as a new configuration. So all this design and stuff is just to show we are scaling up. It's possible to launch in 3 months. However it will be like developing Agni V and Agni VI/ Agni III+ together. That's sending the wrong signals to the rest of the world.

So once Agni V production tests are over, we have two new variants to look forward to Agni VI pencil thin 1.1 meters related to brother Agni IV and Agni VII all composite related to Agni V. This will make our progress seem slower to the external world. We are not there yet. We are just learning. This is just a slow rise of India.

The Agni V+ will be the MIRV all composite variant of Agni V or the earlier stated Agni VI. This was also supposed to be submarine launched. Look up the goof up when Dr. Saraswat was promoted. This Agni VI was to be submarine based and land based. It's the same program. It's just being spun around to obfuscate.

So there is a possibility of two new missiles. Not just one as reported.

Last edited:

trackwhack

Olivers, the midgetman is an ICBM with very limited payload - I think it is less than 500 kg.

sukhish

before we all go ga ga about it, can anybody tell me the reliable source.

olivers

Olivers, the midgetman is an ICBM with very limited payload - I think it is less than 500 kg.
All of the below is tea leaf reading. So take it for what it is. Agni IV and the purpose isn't a stretch. So is the MIRV property of Agni III, Agni V.

Think about Agni II+. What was our objective?
Agni II+ was to have a single warhead capability with 3000 km range. Why?
It's a counter-force missile. Agni III will be counter value. Destruction of property is the objective with a larger missile/more payload or taking out a lot of counter-value targets which are in the same general area. When you need to take out that one target in tibet and don't need the firepower of a 5 missiles you will understand why this is important. We are showing the world we are prepared to fight a nuclear war not merely have token weapons. This is deterrence at it's deadliest. P5 becomes P6.

Agni III is MIRV variant with 3000 + Km range.
Agni VI disclosed above is similar to Agni II+ for the Agni III/Agni V/ Agni V+
A single warhead variant.

Make a tabular column of all the payloads of Agni I through Agni V. Also make a note of the stated range of Agni Variants. Then think, the dotted lines will appear.

1.1 meters was the give away to me. So we have a further two configurations in the Agni series.

When I say pencil thin Agni III the only character Agni III and Agni IV share will be the stated range. A VI will carry a single warhead like A IV

Renumbering to confuse the observers.

The basic question which leads to these answers is why Agni IV or Agni II+ was needed. The answers will help deduct why Agni VI or Agni III+

We can take the analogy of MIRV vs Single warhead configurations further. MIRV weights 1.5/2/3 tons depending on number of missiles carried.

I have only posited two more variants we can think of Agni V with a single warhead variant 1.1 meters. Or Agni VIII. This is stretching the counter-force logic a lot further.

Agni VII with a 1.1 meter variant which is Agni IX.

Of course this depends on Agni IV's DNA being viewed as a single warhead missile. Possibly counter-force missile. The Agni III/Agni V/ Agni V all composite being MIRV counter-value missiles. Of course the possibility of using MIRV for counter-force exists but it's going to be a waste of warheads to lob so many if we want only one target taken out in Tibet.

Agni II becomes Agni II+ single warhead variant.. 1.1 meters 1 ton payload
Agni III becomes Agni III+ single warhead variant ... Agni VI 1.1 meters 1 ton payload
Agni V all composite is Agni VII MIRV variant ... 2.1 meters Agni VII 1.5 to 2 tons payload
Agni V becomes Agni V+ single warhead variant ... Agni VIII 1.1 meters 1 ton payload
Agni VII becomes Agni VII+ single warhead variant .... Agni IX 1.1 meters 1 ton payload

Some of the later variants will need more innovation. This is a decade long roadmap not something we will do tomorrow. For counter-force and counter value enhancements. Slow rise of India.

Last edited:

sukhish

are we sure that we developing AGNI- VI. I mean DRDO has not spoken about it.

olivers

are we sure that we developing AGNI- VI. I mean DRDO has not spoken about it.
Chief Controller R&D (Missiles and Strategic Systems)
Shri Avinash Chander, Distinguished Scientist, Programme Director, SFD and Director, Advanced Systems Laboratory has been appointed as Chief Controller R&D (Missiles and Strategic Systems) wef 03 May 2011. He is an eminent scientist in the field of Missiles and is the Chief Designer of Long-range missile system, with specific contribution in Agni programme management, mission design, guidance, navigation, simulation and terminal guidance. He has unique achievement of delivering and deploying three long-range Agni missile weapon systems viz, A1, A2 and A3.
Presently, he is leading three major system developments; A2p, a technologically challenging state-of-the-art system; a 5,000 km canister-launched A5 system; and a 6000 km A6 system with multiple warheads (MIRV) capable of launching both from the ground and underwater

As to A VI disclosure we see this from DRDO goof up then there is the CNN IBN article. So let's see I only join the dots which are available.

This A6 is now A7 in my post above. Number change to obfuscate.

What is A6? is the question. Answer is A IV DNA of single missile with range of Agni AIII in my book. To be used for counter-force.

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
missile will be more trendy and sleek,
I prefer evil and deadly :p

But thats apart i have a doubt can submarine launch a 50+t missile or it will be a modified version with less weight ? and how many such missiles can be carried in a sub ?

olivers

I prefer evil and deadly :p

But thats apart i have a doubt can submarine launch a 50+t missile or it will be a modified version with less weight ? and how many such missiles can be carried in a sub ?
KEY TRIDENT FACTS
Length: 44ft (13m)
Weight: 130,000lb (58,500kg)
Diameter: 83 inches (2.1m)
Range: 7,500 miles (12,000km)
Power plant: Three stage solid propellant rocket
Cost: £16.8m ($29.1m) per missile

Does this answer your question ?This is the submarine launched all composite missile equivalent from the west in terms of payload and range not technologies used like all-composite etc.(There are differences in Indian missiles which are equal to the best in the world. There are some which America cannot field due to Smart Treaty. We have some of those things in the Indian missiles.) A-VII in the new system I have pointed out. 2.1 meters as opposed to 1.1 meters for the other missiles.

2.1 meters are MIRV in international missiles. 1.1/1.2 meters are single warhead missiles. Arihant is expected to carry 6 or 8. I don't recall the exact numbers. The Arihant version will A-VII or all composite A-V. This will reduce the weight even further and provide higher range. We won't be fielding multiple versions of the Agni VI. It will be the final variant with MIRV capability which extends across the globe. So there will be just one MIRV missile on Arihant. We will have shourya and others for shorter ranges of course.

It makes sense for the rest of the world to doubt our capability. It's easier to grow when someone tells you don't have anything. It's wiser to remain silent on the growth.

Last edited:

Son of Govinda

Agni-VI with 10000 km range to be ready by 2014

Agni-VI with 10000 km range to be ready by 2014 - India News - IBNLive

Balasore: Before the din that was kicked off after test firing of the much-touted Intercontinental Range Ballistic Missile (ICBM) Agni-V was settled down, India is gearing up to go for the maiden development trial of Agni-VI missile within next two years notwithstanding international reactions and pressures.

Being developed by the DRDO, the new generation ICBM Agni-VI will have a strike range of 8,000 km to 10,000 km. A reliable source said that the drawing and designing work of the most advanced missile had been started.

"It will be a three-stage missile and taller than the Agni-V. The design is just taking shape and other sub systems are under development. If everything goes as per the programme, the missile will be ready by mid 2014," said the source.

A scientist associated with the project said unlike the bulky Agni-III, the new generation Agni-VI missile will be more trendy and sleek, so that it can be easily carried to any place and deployed as and when required.

While the length of the missile would be reportedly around 40 meters as against Agni-V's 17.5 meter, its diameter will be 1.1 meter, which is almost half of Agni-V. The missile's launch weight would be around 55 tonne.

The Agni-VI is said to be the latest and most advanced version among the Agni series of missiles. It will have the capability to be launched from submarine and from land-based launchers. The DRDO is also working on integrating Agni-V with submarine.

The new missile will also carry more number of warheads than any other versions. While Agni-V can carry up to three nuclear warheads, sources said the next missile in the series can carry even up to 10 nuclear warheads, capable of hitting multiple targets simultaneously.

After the first test launching of 5,000 km range Agni-V missile while many had raised question about its ICBM capabilities, though it can hit the target anywhere in Asia, Africa and Europe except America, the development of Agni-VI would definitely be a befitting reply to them.

Apart from the Agni-VI's ground version, the DRDO is also simultaneously working out for its underground variant. The submarine launched version of the missile will arm the Arihant class submarines of the Indian Navy. This missile with a strike range of 6,000 kilometers can carry a payload of one tonne.

"We are seriously contemplating to enhance the reach of our strategic missiles. The development of Agni-VI will be a step forward to accomplish the goal. With the present strength we are capable of developing the inter-continental ballistic missiles which can hit targets beyond the range of 10,000 km," added the scientist.

olivers

Made in India: Anti-satellite (A-SAT), all-composite, intelligent missiles next target: Avinash Chander

By Anantha Krishnan M
Express News Service
Bangalore: Thursday's 5,000-km-plus sky part of Agni-5 missile might have put India among a select-group of countries having ICBM-capabilities. But, the icing on the cake is the confidence shown by DRDO's tech-gurus in developing systems which were denied to India. With Agni-5 turning a blockbuster, DRDO has set its eye now on bigger and bolder missions.
During a telephonic interview with Express from Wheeler Island, Avinash Chander, DRDO's Chief Controller (Missiles and Strategic Systems) and Agni-5 Project Director was as cool as a cucumber, despite the smashing hit. "Our next aim is to put satellites to orbit at very short notice using missiles. We can launch low-cost micro-satellites into the orbit with a payload of 60 kg. It can be used for intelligence-gathering purpose and launched within few hours of notice," Avinash said.
According to him, the next big challenge for DRDO is to master the MIRV (Multiple independently-targeted re-entry vehicles) and MaRV (Manoeuvring re-entry vehicles (MaRV) technologies. "Our next aim is maneuvering warheads for long-range missiles. We want to develop intelligent missiles with highly-accurate warheads for future. Missiles that could counter an incoming missile, by predicting its trajectory is the key," Avinash said. He said that DRDO is hovering around the idea of developing missiles with anti-satellite capabilities too.
He said the scientists are already on a mission mode to develop an all-composite missile for the future. "A full composite missile with a high-degree of precision. We are moving faster and now we have the technologies to boot. We will have missiles with less radar cross sections soon. The user is part of our thought-process right from the word go. The user has become an integral part and hence the ownership has gone up many folds with all our new projects," Avinash said.
Among the new technologies used onboard Agni-5 are Ring Laser Gyro-based Inertial Navigation System (RINS), Micro Inertial Navigation System (MINS), high speed onboard computer based on power-PC design, light-weight composite motors and 100 per cent home-grown software. "The INS worked in dual redundancy configuration. Agni-V uses a three-stage propulsion system and it has onboard less cabling, multi-sensors among others. Around 80 per cent of Agni-5 is made in India, making it a truly value-for-money-weapon," Avinash said

Lower radar cross-section missile. All composite missile. Agni V has one steel stage. So A VI is real. It's all composite. Does it share the DNA with A IV or with A V. This is the critical question. From the news report above it's likely the missile will be A IV DNA. Lower radar cross-section. a sleeker missile or 1.1/1.2 meter diameter missile. This was also leaked in CNN IBN report which was messed up due to the 40 meter height.

Some tea leaves and reading them:

So Agni VII will be the Agni V with all composite first stage as well. It's the final MIRV missile which was earlier called Surya II.
Agni V was announced before Agni IV. Now I wonder if we will test Agni VI and then in a few short months we test Agni VII. Now I like the pattern. First test the counter-force then counter-value. It also makes sense for us to develop both together. They are after all closely liked to each other in usage and are both needed. Similar to Agni IV and Agni V.

Someone in a different forum talked about of an op-ed in Hindu a long time back. It discussed whether India must just merely possess nuclear weapons by tests or should we show the world we are ready for nuclear war. These missile tests and the nature of these tests is not lost on any one including the enemy. These show a determination to fight a nuclear war if all else fails. Deterrence is determination to fight a nuclear war and the wherewithal to fight it.
Agni IV and Agni V are escalation devices. Counter-force then Counter-Value. It shows determination to fight and escalate.

So let's wait for Agni VI and Agni VII. Also read Dr. Saraswat when he says it's not been decided if the next Agni will be called Agni VI. We could hear about Agni VII before Agni VI.

olivers

It isn't clear my comments start here from the above post. So just for clarity.

Lower radar cross-section missile. All composite missile. Agni V has one steel stage. So A VI is real. It's all composite. Does it share the DNA with A IV or with A V. This is the critical question. From the news report above it's likely the missile will be A IV DNA. Lower radar cross-section. a sleeker missile or 1.1/1.2 meter diameter missile. This was also leaked in CNN IBN report which was messed up due to the 40 meter height.

Some tea leaves and reading them:

So Agni VII will be the Agni V with all composite first stage as well. It's the final MIRV missile which was earlier called Surya II.
Agni V was announced before Agni IV. Now I wonder if we will test Agni VI and then in a few short months we test Agni VII. Now I like the pattern. First test the counter-force then counter-value. It also makes sense for us to develop both together. They are after all closely liked to each other in usage and are both needed. Similar to Agni IV and Agni V.

Someone in a different forum talked about of an op-ed in Hindu a long time back. It discussed whether India must just merely possess nuclear weapons by tests or should we show the world we are ready for nuclear war. These missile tests and the nature of these tests is not lost on any one including the enemy. These show a determination to fight a nuclear war if all else fails. Deterrence is determination to fight a nuclear war and the wherewithal to fight it.
Agni IV and Agni V are escalation devices. Counter-force then Counter-Value. It shows determination to fight and escalate.

So let's wait for Agni VI and Agni VII. Also read Dr. Saraswat when he says it's not been decided if the next Agni will be called Agni VI. We could hear about Agni VII before Agni VI.

Country flag
DRDO: Intercontinental ballistic missiles well within reach

Broadsword: DRDO: Intercontinental ballistic missiles well within reach

Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL) is the deceptively bland name that obscures from public view the Defence R&D Organisation's (DRDO's) most glamorous laboratory. At the DRDO missile complex here in Hyderabad, ASL develops the ballistic missiles that, in the ultimate nuclear nightmare, will carry Indian nuclear weapons to targets thousands of kilometres away. Foreign collaboration is seeping into many areas of R&D, but ASL's technological domain --- the realm of strategic ballistic missiles --- is something that no country parts with, for love or for money. No foreigner would ever set foot in ASL.

But Business Standard has been allowed an exclusive visit. The erudite, soft-spoken director of ASL, Dr VG Sekharan, describes the technologies that were developed for the DRDO's new, 5,000-kilometre range Agni-5 missile, which was tested flawlessly in April. He reveals that nothing except restraint stood between India and an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) that could strike a target anywhere on the globe.

ICBMs have ranges above 5,500 kilometres, a threshold that the Agni-5 already sits on. For India, a more strategically relevant range would be about 7,500 kilometres, which would cover the world except for the Americas.

"Going up from 5,000 kilometres to, let us say, 7,500 kilometres requires only incremental changes, which we have already assessed. We would need a more powerful booster, which we could make ourselves at ASL; and we would need to strengthen some of the systems, such as heat shielding, that are already flying on the Agni-5," says Sekharan.

For now, however, ASL is not developing an ICBM. Instead, its focus is on "operationalising" the Agni-5, which involves putting it into a canister and conducting 3-4 test-launches from the canister. When the Agni-5 enters service with the Strategic Forces Command (SFC), which operates India's nuclear deterrent, it will be delivered in hermetically sealed canisters that safeguard the road-mobile missiles for over a decade, while they are transported and handled.

Launching a ballistic missile from a canister is a technological feat that ASL has perfected with smaller missiles, and will now modify for the bigger Agni-5. Since the missile's giant rocket motors cannot be fired while it is inside the canister, a gas-generation unit at the bottom of the canister, below the missile, generates a massive boost of gas that ejects the missile from the canister.

"The gas pushes the Agni-5 out, like a bullet from the barrel of a gun. In less than half a second, the 50-tonne missile clears the canister by 15 metres, and that is when the rocket motor can safely ignite. In 30 seconds, the Agni-5 breaks the sound barrier and, in 90 seconds, it has left the atmosphere," explains Sekharan.

The DRDO has promised the armed forces that the Agni-5 will be test-fired from a canister in early 2013. ASL is on track to achieve that target, says Sekharan. Within a couple of months, a "pop-up test" will be conducted with a canister, in which the gas generator ejects a dummy missile. Meanwhile, the actual missile is being integrated with the canister.

The Agni-5 project funding has already been cleared by the Political Council of the union cabinet, a fast-track procedure for strategic projects that eliminates cumbersome MoD sanctions. This allows ASL to place orders for the materials and sub-systems that will go into the first few Agni-5 missiles, taking care of production lead times. ASL scientists recount that "maraging steel" for the canister takes two years to be delivered by specialist defence PSU, Midhani. The rocket motor casings take another one year.

On the question that exercises strategic analysts the world over --- is ASL developing "multi independently-targetable re-entry vehicles", or MIRVs --- Sekharan remains ambiguous: "I can say that we are working on MIRV technologies. The key challenge --- the "post-boost vehicle", which carries the multiple warheads --- is not a technology challenge, merely an engineering one. DRDO will acquire and demonstrate the capability for MIRVs by 2014-15. But the decision to deploy MIRVs would be a political one."

MIRVs are multiple warheads, up to ten, which would be fitted atop a single Agni-5. These would be a mix of nuclear bombs and dummy warheads to confuse enemy air defences. Each warhead can be programmed to hit a different target; or multiple warheads can be directed at a single target, but with different trajectories.

Interestingly, Sekharan reveals that the DRDO does not need sanction to begin work on such technologies. "The decision-making works like this: we demonstrate the technology and the capability. Then the government decides, keeping in mind the big picture."

"In the Agni-5, the government didn't say, 'we have a threat perception"¦ I need a long-range missile.' It was the DRDO that said that we now have the capability to enhance the Agni-3 to 5,000 kilometres, and so the government sanctioned the project."

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
To my mind, no more revelations of newer missile versions will be made. Agni V was just under ICBM class and the next missile will be ICBM. The world is not yet ready for an India which is capable for nuking American cities, although India is. Therefore even if we develop missiles which will be able to hit anywhere in the world, the world will not know of it until that unthinkable day truly comes.
Surya was not a myth. Atleast, it isn't a myth anymore.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
To my mind, no more revelations of newer missile versions will be made. Agni V was just under ICBM class and the next missile will be ICBM. The world is not yet ready for an India which is capable for nuking American cities, although India is. Therefore even if we develop missiles which will be able to hit anywhere in the world, the world will not know of it until that unthinkable day truly comes.
Surya was not a myth. Atleast, it isn't a myth anymore.
amazing with all things said and done including, demonstration of our capability to send object to moon, you still think anyplace in the world is unreachable ?
those who are in same business knows what we can do.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
amazing with all things said and done including, demonstration of our capability to send object to moon, you still think anyplace in the world is unreachable ?
those who are in same business knows what we can do.
:lol: I think you have not read my post carefully. I never said any place in the world is unreachable for us. I merely hypothesize that Agni6 will never be made public.

As for comparing space rockets with ICBMs, the latter are far more complicated than the former. ICBMs require re-entry. That is a massive mathematical problem. It was first solved by Edward Teller. If we have solved that already, then it is a good news. We are halfway there in becoming a true-blue ICBM force.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
:lol: I think you have not read my post carefully. I never said any place in the world is unreachable for us. I merely hypothesize that Agni6 will never be made public.

As for comparing space rockets with ICBMs, the latter are far more complicated than the former. ICBMs require re-entry. That is a massive mathematical problem. It was first solved by Edward Teller. If we have solved that already, then it is a good news. We are halfway there in becoming a true-blue ICBM force.
sir lot in your post is cryptic, but the under ICBM part is also not acceptable. Plus we already have re entry tech it was shown in civilian as well as military programme.

added later on:
If you yourself is not convinced about ICBM part, world will not accept it.
but those in the business knows what has been achieved.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles