Agni V Missile test launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

trackwhack

Another thing to note. MIRV configurations are not necessarily missile specific. The same RV could be shared by multiple missiles. Since we are just entering the space, the capability is what matters more than application of all configurations across all delivery systems. For example a 10 warhead MIRV with tactical nukes can make sense on one scenario and may not for another, but the options must exist.

The larger point is as our missiles mature we are gonna be looking at 3+ tonne payloads. At that point 10 warhead MITRV makes sense.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Another thing to note. MIRV configurations are not necessarily missile specific. The same RV could be shared by multiple missiles. Since we are just entering the space, the capability is what matters more than application of all configurations across all delivery systems. For example a 10 warhead MIRV with tactical nukes can make sense on one scenario and may not for another, but the options must exist.

The larger point is as our missiles mature we are gonna be looking at 3+ tonne payloads. At that point 10 warhead MITRV makes sense.
3 ton payload? All ICBMs in current use in west, Russia are 1.5 Tons. 2 mtr dia missile and there is no scope of increasing dia or height. This type of missile also has to fit into a submarine in the future as its derivative will be the SLBM India is looking for.

trackwhack

3 ton payload? All ICBMs in current use in west, Russia are 1.5 Tons.
And yet they have 10 warhead MIRV configurations. Also have you considered the need for decoy warheads? Maybe 5 real warheads and 5 decoys. :)

H.A.

I think the defensive capability of A 5 has also to be noted and talked about. As said A 5 can also be used to launch satellites, this is a very good use for A5 positively and defensively thinking, this particular aspect will come in use when an enemy shoots down one of our vital satellite, say used for Military communications, A 5 can resume the communication within 10 - 15 minutes.

What do others have to say about this?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
And yet they have 10 warhead MIRV configurations.
Bulava, 4-6. Trident Ii 4-5 though it can carry more but limited by START AND SORT. Still US nuclear warheads compared to Indian is a no contest.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
whats the confusion about....Mr. V K Saraswat clearly says its an IRBM and the news reporter says its ICBM....so A5 is IRBM, right?

Check the Video that saya posted earlier:
http://www.ndtv.com/common/videos/e...idth=418&pHeight=385&category=embed&id=229746
@HA it is like this, our interests are within the continent, but the missile has range more then our immediate interest and enemies, so we cannot and dont want to scare our present friends and future enemies. That is why this missile range is kept smartly between the two. It range is at the line bordering ICBM and IRBM. So that we can play with both, as the situation demands. Therefore dont go with what others say just go with what is being tested and compare with what we got earlier (A3 and A4).

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I think the defensive capability of A 5 has also to be noted and talked about. As said A 5 can also be used to launch satellites, this is a very good use for A5 positively and defensively thinking, this particular aspect will come in use when an enemy shoots down one of our vital satellite, say used for Military communications, A 5 can resume the communication within 10 - 15 minutes.

What do others have to say about this?
What's the correlation? A5 is not a satellite in itself to establish communications within 15 mins.

trackwhack

Yusuf I can quote you on a previous post where you have said Tridents have 12 MIRV's. Also you are not considering the requirement of decoy's. 10 Config MIRV will have decoys.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf I can quote you on a previous post where you have said Tridents have 12 MIRV's. Also you are not considering the requirement of decoy's. 10 Config MIRV will have decoys.
The US could have 10-12 because of the sophistication of its warhead designs. W76 weighs 176 kgs for a 100 KT yield. Plus it's large arsenal allows it flexibility.

India does not have any flexibility. We have about 100 warheads and at best we will cap it at 200-250 over 15 years timeline.

We will need a new round of tests to validate further miniaturization.

trackwhack

The US could have 10-12 because of the sophistication of its warhead designs. W76 weighs 176 kgs for a 100 KT yield. Plus it's large arsenal allows it flexibility.

India does not have any flexibility. We have about 100 warheads and at best we will cap it at 200-250 over 15 years timeline.

We will need a new round of tests to validate further miniaturization.

Finally, you agree that we have to test again :)

All your points are correct, but 10 MIRV configuration is a future proof system. And again please consider the need for decoys. All nations have decoy warheads on their MIRV'S

Country flag
I have a feeling we have not tested a MIRV version yet because
it would send the Chinese in a panic?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Finally, you agree that we have to test again :)

All your points are correct, but 10 MIRV configuration is a future proof system. And again please consider the need for decoys. All nations have decoy warheads on their MIRV'S
I didn't say we need to test but would require to for new generation of warheads. Now is certainly not the time for it.

Decoys don't have to be as large as warheads.

trackwhack

I didn't say we need to test but would require to for new generation of warheads. Now is certainly not the time for it.

Decoys don't have to be as large as warheads.
Decoys dont have to be as large nor do they have to weigh the same bu they take one spot on the MIRV.

Mad Indian, testing more nukes is a never ending argument that I have with my good friend Yusuf. We dont agree on anything when it comes to our nuclear program and have had countless debates, though I must say that status quo on our nuclear posture means that in the real world he is winning all the debates. :)

H.A.

What's the correlation? A5 is not a satellite in itself to establish communications within 15 mins.
No correlation in the ongoing topic plus i am not saying that its a satellite in itself, I am saying that it has the capability to launch a satellite so A5 has a strategic defensive use aswell. Apart from attacking an enemy.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles