Agni SLBM A Myth?

Country flag
http://livefist.blogspot.com/

The unofficial impression above, from a recent magazine report, is one of a whole slew of graphics and illustrations that have swamped the internet and print publications in the last few years. This one, like many others, suggests that there will be submarine-launched versions of India's intermediate range ballistic missiles Agni III and V.

I sent the picture above to India Today senior editor Sandeep Unnithan, who broke the story recently about India's secret K-series of missiles, to see what he thought. Here's what he had to say: "There is a myth created by missile experts on internet forums about SLBM variants of the Agni III and V. They have gone ahead and created several impressions of what it will look like complete with MIRVs etc. The truth is that the K series, and NOT Agni, is the basis for the future SLBM development. This is not contested by the DRDO either. Difficulties with compacting the Agni to fit the 10 metre diameter ATV hull have led to solutions like the K-4."

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I would not discount any possibility. Indian missile program is going ahead with more secrecy thn ever before.. who expected A2+ ?? and all of a sudden there is a talk of K4 when no one knew about it.

Country flag
This is a good article to keep everyone guessing?? To make the ATV and not make proper dimensions for the hull seems incredulous. And the timing around Chinese premier Wen's visit is also a little suspicious??

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
N I think the K series has been given a name B-xx so we need to see what name change is next. Agni SLBM is also there but it is actually a ego tussle between the radical and traditional minds in DRDO. If you know someone from DRDO you can ask about the internal politics there.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles