Afghans future air fighters ???

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Reaction from parties inside India.
As far as foreign policy goes, both major national are on the same plane. I dont think it will be an issue. Left might cry as usual but i dont see others doing so. Particularly as it is targeted against Pakistan in the end.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
If ever the US will equip Afghans with a relatively decent A2A fighter then they will give them Russian fighters (to indirectly bribe the uneasy Russians). But I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future as the US will maintain one of its biggest forward air bases in Afghanistan. The Yanks are not leaving AfPak.

CAS aircrafts on the other hand will definitely be issued to the Afghan military. This will give the Afghans more firepower but more importantly it will give them more legitimacy (as against the Taliban) in the eyes of the Afghan population. Of course without threatening US assets in the area (in case some jihadists successfully infiltrate the afghan Air Force).

Last edited:

SpArK

SORCERER
What Afghanistan needs is a better border management system..

Artillery guns and few SAM's to add some masala...

SPIEZ

Country flag
What Afghanistan needs is a better border management system..

Artillery guns and few SAM's to add some masala...
SPark buddy I already think they have those stinger missile's ready.

Besides why would they need SAM's to fight Taliban. People observe that the US air base in astan is gonna stay there for a long time

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
How dare u guys proposed to sell LCA to afghanistan which is not yet accepted by our own.LCH could become a possible competitor into afghan helicopter squadrons but as Uncle sam with their vast list of different choppers and Mother russia wth her cheap childs wil put blockade to our dreams..not too mention of the other NATO players..

SpArK

SORCERER
SPark buddy I already think they have those stinger missile's ready.

Besides why would they need SAM's to fight Taliban. People observe that the US air base in astan is gonna stay there for a long time
Who said its for the Talibunnies?? Artileery and SAM is for the conjoined twin.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Who said its for the Talibunnies?? Artileery and SAM is for the conjoined twin.
For the cojoined twins the american's will be there, so no worries !!!
The last time they were armed it lead to A LOTTA PROBLEMS. so they ll e careful arming them now

SpArK

SORCERER
For the cojoined twins the american's will be there, so no worries !!!
The last time they were armed it lead to A LOTTA PROBLEMS. so they ll e careful arming them now
Yes always the Americans.. We expect them to do our jobs too...

pmaitra

we have a nice thread run by Kunal on prop fighters titled fighers for cheap.
The only way the Afghans can use this is CAS. They will be no match for any Pak attack. India can find a market for its LCA in Astan. may be "gift" a squad of these. Serves twin purpose. it will be tested in battle as Afghans conduct operations against the Taliban which will provide valuable information to us and second, gets Astan further close to India.
Saar we have pilot shortage ourselves. We are not going to be mercenaries for them. We are not Pakistan.

Well it might as well turn out that Indian pilots will be flying those Afghan LCAs, just like Soviet pilots flew many jets in the Koran War. I would love Afghan pilots fly LCAs and do some damage to their southern neighbour.

Who said they have to pay. We "gift" them.
My thoughts, exactly.

Last edited:

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well their best choice is second hand F 16s and Mirage 2000s these are a very good combination for a newly formed airforce. Having 50 and 50 of these will compliment the Afghan airforce. The best thing we can give them is the LCH which will be of a great use to them in the mountainous terrains in the western border for patrolling. The components of the former 2 aircafts are easy to purchase and are widely available.

sandeepdg

I also feel that the best thing we can give them is the LCH for counter insurgency roles. It perfectly suits their requirements. And if you are talking about fighters, then it is very much possible that they will be given second hand Migs or other Russian aircraft by the Americans and Russians since they are used to using them.

p2prada

Owning a modern fighter jet isn't easy. LCAs would do but I doubt they can afford them right now. Perhaps 10 years down the line when LCA is ready for export. If things go as planned they may be able to afford it.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
We should give them our mig's.
Messiah u have any problems with those noble afghans?There are more than enough options available in afghanistan to die.You r just proposing another option for them by gifting them our flying coffins.

agentperry

its better to equip afghans with MANPADs. they are pro in it. also these things are more lethal as compared to flying stuff in this world where im damn sure that afghanistan cant afford the atf for these high performance war machines.

afghanistan also lacks good infra for supporting these machines. most of the time they will be parked in bays for repairs and awaiting clearance. make their ground capability strong. afghanistan is still far far away from having offensive air capabilities.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
MIG-21 bisons are best for Afghan pilots, bisons with multi function radar with BVR will be best for them..

MIG-21 is used by afghans before Taliban occupation, they know common maintenance procedure..

Training is available here, No problems i see..

India already offered LCH to Afgan brother, And they may be first foreign customer of LCH..

Let our LCA and MRCA replace MIG-21..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles