Afghanistan cruise to comfortable win over Pakistan

Blackwater

KABUL: Afghanistan's football team sparked celebrations across the war-torn nation on Tuesday after securing a convincing 3-0 win over Pakistan in the first international match in Kabul for ten years.

A delirious 6,000 capacity crowd packed the Afghanistan Football Federation (AFF) stadium for a game that unleashed a wave of patriotic pride.

Afghanistan, ranked at 139th in the world just above Pakistan, gave home fans little to worry about, dominating the game from the kick-off and going three goals ahead mid-way through the second half.

The match was promoted as a symbol of football's ability to foster peace and unite countries in a shared love of sport, but the result was celebrated by many Afghans as a sweet victory over an old and bitter adversity.

"I am a huge football fan, and this match was so important for us," said Shabir Ahmad, 27, a government employee at the match.

"There are a lot of rivalries between Afghanistan and Pakistan, even if this match was meant to boost friendship."

Just a small number of women were in the stands, and there was no sign of Pakistani support despite thousands of Pakistanis living and working in the Afghan capital.

Security was intense with several rings of armed riot police and soldiers beating back frustrated ticketless crowds locked outside of the stadium.

Kabul has been hit by a series of militant attacks this year, including near the president's palace and on the Supreme Court.

One spectator, Ahmadzai Fazeli, 25, said that insurgents at a Taliban roadblock in volatile Wardak province had wished the team well.

"On the way here the Taliban stopped me. I told them I was going to the football match, and they happily let me pass," he said. "Now I am here feeling very patriotic and happy."

Ahead of kick-off, tempers frayed as police struggled to control unruly crowds pushing to get access to the game, which was attended by some senior Afghan officials and foreign diplomats, including the British ambassador.

But the final whistle triggered delirium as players paraded the national flag in front of dancing spectators and crowds celebrated on the city streets.

The game, which was played on an artificial pitch funded by the FIFA world body, was the first home international since Afghanistan played Turkmenistan in 2003.

Football was not banned under the Taliban's 1996-2001 regime but the old Ghazi stadium in Kabul was a notorious venue for executions, stonings and mutilations.

Tuesday's game – at the separate AFF stadium in the city – will be followed on Thursday by the start of the second season of the eight-team Afghan Premier League.

A return match is scheduled in the Pakistani city of Lahore in December.

Afghanistan cruise to comfortable win over Pakistan - DAWN.COM

Blackwater

3-0 Defeat of Pakistan in the hand of Afghanistan is a direct insult of 110 nukes pakistan:taunt1::taunt1::taunt1:

@ farhaan

datguy79

Ahead of kick-off, tempers frayed as police struggled to control unruly crowds pushing to get access to the game, which was attended by some senior Afghan officials and foreign diplomats, including the British ambassador.
The corrupt AFF sold 15k tickets to an 8k stadium. Last year officials gobbled up the $3 million in profits from the Afghan premier league. Meanwhile, teams are struggling with funding.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Afgans wins 3-0 against Pakistan??? :rofl:

Yeh to beizzati ho gayi Pakis ki... so now Pakis would now threaten Afganistan with nukes? :notsure:

@farhan_9909... oye kitthe hai tu?

Last edited by a moderator:

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
congrats to Afghanistan

if someone browse the last thread.

I had already mentioned that afghanistan will win...

though i would want pakistan to imrpove the football team since i am a big fan(and once a player) of football.
watch cricket just for timepass.

Decklander

congrats to Afghanistan

if someone browse the last thread.

I had already mentioned that afghanistan will win...

though i would want pakistan to imrpove the football team since i am a big fan(and once a player) of football.
watch cricket just for timepass.
Bro how will Pak win in football when a ball for pakistanis means-Big Bomb.

nrupatunga

The corrupt AFF sold 15k tickets to an 8k stadium. Last year officials gobbled up the $3 million in profits from the Afghan premier league. Meanwhile, teams are struggling with funding.
Cricket??? or football???

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
@t_co

India should challenge China & Japan in Football. :fyeah: :gtfo:

Any Japanese members in this forum?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles