Afghan military requests military aid from India

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
:facepalm:

Why will Astan need an anti ship missile?

Patriot

Country flag
Why the eff should india worry about what Pakistan will think abd whqt sensitivities of Pak will get hurt?
On the contrary India should seize the opportunity with both hands.

Two reasons
1) Keep Pak on the boil on its western front so that India faces lesser troubke oj its bordersa

2) Golden opoortunity for India to supply its home grown weapons.
a) Arjun Tank
b) Akash SAM
c) newly developed howitzer
d) Pinaka MLRS.
e) assault rifles

All this will give us battlefield results of our systems and chance to improvee further
Please also add WSI Dhruv & follow on to LCH, NAG ATGM, RADARS as well.

Victor Sierra

Country flag
Sometimes I feel that whole Ministry should be selected from DFI, specially Foreign & Defense.

Whatever we gotta help them, Fall of Afghanistan is near, if not saved timely.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Sometimes I feel that whole Ministry should be selected from DFI, specially Foreign & Defense.

Whatever we gotta help them, Fall of Afghanistan is near, if not saved timely.
You're being a little too discounting with our Ministry officials, and a little too generous with your DFI friends. :party:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Please also add WSI Dhruv & follow on to LCH, NAG ATGM, RADARS as well.
Well we can give the world to them but it depends on how much we can spare for them.

I think the next round of strategic dialog should discuss arms supplies in a phased manner. Chalk out what is of immediate and urgent requirement, what our own production limitation is vis a vis our own armed forces requirement and what we can give the Afghans.

Country flag
If Indian Govt does not want to go it alone they can ask US or Russia to join in the aid.
The aid can be proportional to the decline in the Taliban. Indian Govt has been training the
Afghan military for awhile now so this aid request may not be a suprise. India can ask for
an army or air base possibly in the future in Afghanistan. There are lot of world class weapons
we can gift to the Afghans that can decimate Pakistan here are some of my suggestions:

1)Pinaka-1 with the development of Pinaka 2 coming in 2013. Pinaka can decimate everything
in 40km sq.

2) IGLA's to neutralize any air advantage Pakistan has

3) Akash -1 with development of Akash 2 would be a nice gift to give who presently
have very little to no air defense or SA-6 and possibly s-300 in the future.

4) Radars take your pick would also provide intelligence for India

5)Light and heavy artillery

6)UAV's and UCAV's for reconissance and cross border attacks

7) INSAS

8)money

9) Moskit MACH 3 cruise missile which is currently on older Indian ships being updated
with Brahmos and KLUBS. The Moskit was originally designed to be ship launched, but variants have been adapted to be launched from land (modified trucks). The missile can carry conventional and nuclear warheads.

This is just the beginning of my list we have to make Pakistan move their limited as sets towards
a new front. Some of these weapons can be operated by Indian personnel.

Last edited:

datguy79

Well.. don't expect anything till this Congress Govt is in power, things will only change once this party is out of power.
Similarly, Karzai is effectively a lame duck. India should set themselves up to deal with whoever comes to power in April 2014, most likely a hard-liner who will get things done.

send them all and ask them for airbase for 99 years of lease near Mazare-sharif, with option for additional airbase. Have this and you will get Pakistan by its balls. Plus it will put something for China.
Why do you want an airbase near Mazar? That is like having an airbase in Delhi rather than Rajasthan to counter Pakistan. They will see your planes coming out from hundreds of miles out. If you want an airbase, you will have to settle for one near the border, someplace like Badakhshan.

Also, if you are planning to put anything other than Su-30 MKI on the base, then yeah that will be your mistake. That is one sexy bird.
Saar, our Afgan "brothers" are in no position to pay. They need aid!
If they were in a position to pay, they'd have asked the US to send latest gizmos.

All that you mentioned will have to given for free. And India should do it. It secures Astan and also helps our domestic defence industry. Nothing like learning from battlefield performance of weapons system. Why else is the US leading in defence? They are always at war.
Well, yes and no. Obviously we won't have a gigantic defence budget till we start extracting our natural resources, but as i mentioned previously, the money earlier earmarked could be spent more wisely (e.g. not on turboprops). The latest US gizmos are at outrageous prices (see: iraqi f-16 deal).

Here is my realistic wish list for the next decade:

- All artillery is essential and needed in a mountainous environment such as AFG.
- We already have M-16s. Unless INSAS has a clear advantage over the M-16, don't expect us to pay for them.
- MRAPs are needed, though the US got us some new shiny ones recently.
- Isn't India running away from its Arjun program? We might take some, though tanks are low priority.
- We need to purchase advanced trainer aircraft first. Pilots don't grow on trees, and we only have the capacity to train around 50 a year, another area where India can help.
- Indian helis are sexy and low cost. We could probably afford 20ish Dhruvs without any foreign aid.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Aviation Security :

1. Long, Medium range Radars..
2. Akash SAM..
3. Air defense Gun such as Bofors L70 with Sky catcher radars..

Ground Security :

1. Ground Radars BFSR
2. Dhruv
3. LCH
4. MPV ( OFB, MAHINDRA, A&L )
5. Trucks and Light vehicles
6. 120,80,50mm Mortars
7. 105mm Mountain guns lighter and more effective than 122MM D30..

pmaitra

Step 1: Give them what they have asked for.
Step 2: Evaluate what the biggest threats to Afghanistan are.
Step 3: Give them what they have not asked for but something that will be useful.

Now, the biggest threat is desertion due to low salary or non-payment of salary. Secondly, I would not consider giving them BrahMos or Arjun, but I would consider Pinaka and Indian made MPVs, along with INSAS, HAL ALH, HAL LCH (make it ready, it will be useful in those high mountains), mortars, howitzers, and other light and medium arty pieces.

pmaitra

@datguy79, most of the aid will probably be given for free or as part of aid. We gave subsidized weapons to Nepal, we might do the same for Afghanistan as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
X2,

We should keep in mind two things :

A. Offer what is working and can be given quickly
B. Keep in Memory that once should not give critical tech as it can end up in enemy hands easily..

===============

1. Arjun is designed for Indian terrain, its usage in Mountain pass is not..
2. INSAS is 5.56mm and rugged but Afgan solider likes old AK coz of its ruggedness and ammo, Perhaps we should offer SLR instead with OFB optics mounted..
3. LCA is still under tests so no..
4. Afgan forces need tatical BM with longer range +700km with pinpoint accuracy, Imho PJ-10 dont follow the suit..

I would not consider giving them BrahMos or Arjun, but I would consider Pinaka and Indian made MPVs, along with INSAS, HAL ALH, HAL LCH (make it ready, it will be useful in those high mountains), mortars, howitzers, and other light and medium arty pieces.

amoy

India probably can kiss both Iran and Afganistan goodbye, and totally wipe the idea to supply arms to Afghan off your minds

India cuts Iran oil imports 42%, takes Venezuelan, other crudes - The Economic Times
Hindustan PetroleumBSE 0.00 % Corp and Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals halted their Iranian oil purchases in April as it became difficult to insure refineries processing oil from the OPEC member, making the largest contribution to India's cuts this year.

Indian insurers worried about running afoul of sanctions have said they will not be able to pay claims at plants processing Iranian crude.

That has left the country's biggest refiner, state-owned Indian Oil Corp - whose insurance coverage is due for renewal only in November - and private refiner Essar Oil
Yeah India can easily replace Iranian crude by other sources but what leverage is left for India over Iran?

Do hotline MMS immediately to suspend that C Port project right away lest the investment be invested. And your aid will have to wind its sinuous way through Turkmenistan / Tajikistan? Or seek help from China!?

TrueSpirit

India probably can kiss both Iran and Afganistan goodbye, and totally wipe the idea to supply arms to Afghan off your minds
Sorry @amoy, not happening. Not happening in our lifetime.

India cuts Iran oil imports 42%, takes Venezuelan, other crudes - The Economic Times

Yeah India can easily replace Iranian crude by other sources but what leverage is left for India over Iran?
You are reading too much into this & understanding too little. Why am I not surprised ? :lol:

There are few other Sticky threads on DFI concerning the exact same topic, where enough discussion has happened. Why don't you have a look ?

Do hotline MMS immediately to suspend that C Port project right away lest the investment be invested. And your aid will have to wind its sinuous way through Turkmenistan / Tajikistan?
:rofl: Dream on. The scenario you are envisioning is never coming to pass. In all earnestness, I would urge you, to read a bit more about geo-polity in this region and then speculate. That way, your speculations might hold some water (weight).

Or seek help from China!?
You are one funny guy, aren't you, @amoy. It's not working, sorry :thumb:

amoy

@TrueSpirit Alright, I won't return your mocking. I certainly did look at a few discussion
India's exhaustive energy requirements, in conjunction with a host of other shared interests with Iran which include stabilizing Afghanistan and combating Wahhabism in the region
However, no matter what "lofty" goals or interests India shares with Iran over AFG., lack of determination or concrete actions will lead u nowhere. Just wait and see which will be completed first in the race - Gwadar or C Port. Northern Alliance is in the pocket of SCO (aka Russia+China), and Taliban with Pakistan. If u play GO u certainly understand the "first mover advantage".

Separately I even posted on Iran-Taliban talks. :shocked:

TrueSpirit

[MENTION=411]However, no matter what "lofty" goals or interests India shares with Iran over AFG., lack of determination or concrete actions will lead u nowhere.
We are on same page. In other words, I agree with you completely, especially the BOLD part. But, even as we are talking, there is enough action underway in Af-stan in the Indian Camp.

Just wait and see which will be completed first in the race - Gwadar or C Port.
Sure, we would see.

Northern Alliance is in the pocket of SCO (aka Russia+China)
Are you sure ? Again, request you to read a bit more. Our influence there counts & runs deep.

Further, Russia-India collaboration, especially in that region (despite few minor hiccups in the past), needs no introduction. Things are already cooking between the two parties through multiple channels (it's been sustained, formal exercise over the years but has acquired more meaning in the wake of developments unfolding in Af-stan) & plans + power/influence-sharing mechanisms are being formulated to manage Af-stan conundrum once US leaves.

But, above all, US needs India to be at the forefront of nation-building efforts there (if you know what I mean) & we are going to receive all forms of assistance (including material) to accomplish there. Not that, we can't do without it. US simply cant afford to let Af-stan turn back into a safe haven for extremists and see it's 13 years of hard work undone (nearly, 1 trillion $ of investment & enough lives lost). US knows that India can be a trusted partner in accomplishment of its core interests & our interests converge to a great extent with US in that region. To that effect, already, ample level of understanding has been arrived at, between the two & knowledge-sharing exercises/power-transfer mechanisms U& hand-holding co-operation is already underway.

We are there in Af-stan for the long-haul, & we have been a positive, committed player/stakeholder in that region all along. In Af-stan, we mean good. For the Afghans & the entire region, India is synonymous for development & rehabilitation. Apart from everyone else, the Afghans & sizeable sections of Pakhtoons realize that, & regularly acknowledge this fact, publicly. India, as a "force of good" is an established reality sunk into Afghan psyche, as well as among most stakeholder nations, who matter. And, India is going to build upon that reality, no-holds-barred.

and Taliban with Pakistan.
Lets see for how long before the Frankenstein turns back on it own creator.

Already, one off-shoot (TTP) has been at Pak's neck & been blowing up ISI's & Army, Navy, AF, establishments at will. Not long ago, this faction commanded & held complete sway over NWFP/FATA & Swat areas. Still, Pak has little to no control over these tribal areas (they never had much, anyway) & these areas are governed by jirgas whose commanding elders are completely pissed off with Paki Army for selling themselves & allowing full-blown drone strikes on them.

Only the Gulbuddin Hekmatyar faction (whose loyalty is perpetually suspect & always ready to be rented) & the Haqqani network are closely is aligned with them. Mullah Omar has already been pissed off due to Paki's cowardice (as mentioned above) & consider's Pak Army a partner-in-crime with the Umreekans.

If u play GO u certainly understand the "first mover advantage".
No, I do not play GO. I have heard & read few good things about it. But, that immaterial; or in other words, that hardly matters.

It's just a matter of time, before Chinese mining companies & contractors in Af-stan have to depend on Indian goodwill for ensuring there operations go unimpeded there (the exact same way, they depend on US/NATO forces, today for enforcing the security guarantee).

Separately I even posted on Iran-Taliban talks. :shocked:
Yes, their rapprochement efforts are on for quite some time but never had a change on ground-reality. Things are so clearly messed up between the two, that any negotiations & minor understandings arrived at, between these two antagonists hold limited validity. The innate hostilities between the two is too deeply entrenched, multi-faceted & long-drawn to be overcome by any negotiations. I am sure you do understand the immediate reasons & as well as the historical perspectives.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles