AeroIndia 2009: Chinese J-11B a copy of the Su-27SK, say Russian officials news

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
http://www.domain-b.com/defence/general/20090214_chinese_j_11b.html

AeroIndia 2009: Chinese J-11B a copy of the Su-27SK, say Russian officials news
14 February 2009

Bangalore: Russian aerospace authorities have confirmed what has been speculated upon publicly for years that China had produced its own "fake" version of the Su-27SK fighter jet in violation of intellectual property agreements. "We are in discussions with China on this issue," said Mikhail Pogosyan, first vice president on programme coordination, Russian Aircraft Corp., during a press conference here at the AeroIndia 2009 trade show.

Pogosyan is also director general of the Sukhoi design bureau.

China and Russia contracted to build 200 Su-27SKs in 1995, with the Shenyang Aircraft Corp. as the local partner, at a cost of $2.5 billion. Under the deal the aircraft, dubbed as the J-11A, would be outfitted with Russian avionics, radars and engines. However, the contract was dissolved in 2006, after production of only 95 aircraft, once the Russians discovered that China was developing an indigenous version, J-11B, with Chinese avionics and systems.

The Chinese programme resulted in the production of six J-11B fighters for testing purposes, but ran into problems over the production of a suitable engine to power the aircraft. The J-11B remains outfitted with the Russian engine, the AL-31F.

At joint meetings held last year, both Pogosyan and the Russian defense minister Anatoly Serdyukov managed to apply sufficient pressure on Chinese officials to compel them to respect intellectual property rights.

Russian authorities have reason to fear that the Chinese would mass-produce cheaper export versions of the Su-27 for the international market. Such exports would have great consequences for the volatile Indian sub-continent where it could drastically impact military balances.

The Chinese may have been persuaded to be reasonable in this regard with Russia showing it the stick with regard to futuristic fighter programmes, such as the Su-33 carrier based version of the Su-27.

Russian officials downplayed the quality of the Chinese copy -the J-11B. "If we speak about the copy of the airplanes, I think that in this case, the original will always be better than a slightly modified copy," Pogosyan said. "The original made by the designer who developed the product is always better, and it is a better start for a new program with the original designer and developer than making a fake copy."

He also pointed out that it was difficult to deal with problems that copies threw up over their lifetime and it was only the original developer who knew best how to deal with such issues.

Security experts are not convinced that Russia will have persuaded China completely to shy away from developing the J-11B any further. Very likely, the Chinese may have agreed to play along till such time as their Su-33s have been delivered.

The Chinese Navy has begun construction of its first aircraft carrier and needs Russian technology and experience.
:p

A.V.

chinese friends would like to call it reverse engineering but going by things china has developed this habit of copying chololates to airplanes,i am not complaining about that because they are really good at this stuff and deserve credit for it but
sometimes they just fail to mention credit where it is due.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
chinese friends would like to call it reverse engineering but going by things china has developed this habit of copying chololates to airplanes,i am not complaining about that because they are really good at this stuff and deserve credit for it but
sometimes they just fail to mention credit where it is due.
Ha ha ha but this is not a good practice they should avoid it. Or it shows that they really lake the capacity to do something original. Just my thought

A.V.

Ha ha ha but this is not a good practice they should avoid it. Or it shows that they really lake the capacity to do something original. Just my thought
sir its not like that they cant,they are a great race of people and throughout they are credited with major inventions and discoveries but recently in the last century or so they have got into this habit of copying stuff. and as the saying goes
BAD HABITS ARE VERY HARD TO LEAVE.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Bad Habits die Hard, you are right Moscow. The chinese are awesome at spying and copying. I mean they have lots of stuff being worked upon. But Some stuff wont be as good as the Original. I mean the Chinese just dont have that cutting edge technology. They still need Russians stuff to learn from.

I believe what china Invents today, has been made atleast 10 years back. I am not taking any credit away from the Chinese, they are a wonderful race who have a great civilisation to their credit and was the knowledge center if we look back. Hope they stop copying and get to inventing.

Country flag
Ahmed Chinese can only make a copy they have very rarely invented or innovated any defense item.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Ahmed Chinese can only make a copy they have very rarely invented or innovated any defense item.
Yeah, they quit inventing since the communists took over. I mean now they are too lazy to invent when they know they can copy the Russian stuff off the shelf!

Russia is in a precarious position as she is arming a neighbor and that is never a good Idea but still I feel the Russians know what they are doing.

Country flag
i would not say Russians know what they are doing they are going to let their own greed backfire on them and destroy their own market to other countries and have weapons they are selling to china one day to be used against them, i think they are trying hard to win China over and China is taking full advantage.

pyromaniac

Founding Member
I think we are unnecessarily worrying about the capabilities of China and pakistan...they just copy stuff from other countries and call it their own.
For example....I have always thought that the J-10 was just a redesigned copy of the F-16 and the Jf-17 is just a combination of a older Mig and a Mirage or something...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles