Advanced landing facility to be unveiled in Arunachal

SpArK

SORCERER
Advanced landing facility to be unveiled in Arunachal

NEW DELHI: Continuing with its strategy to counter China's build-up of military infrastructure all along the unresolved border, India is going to "fully re-activate" an advanced landing ground (ALG) in Arunachal Pradesh.

Defence ministry sources said the "upgraded" Vijayanagar ALG, at the tri-junction of India, China and Myanmar in the Changlang district of Arunachal, is likely to be inaugurated on Friday, with the landing of an AN-32 medium-lift aircraft. "The runway and other facilities have been upgraded to ensure more types of aircraft can operate from there," said a source.

This comes after India has re-activated its eastern Ladakh ALGs like Nyoma, Daulat Beg Oldi and Fukche over the last couple of years. Plans are in motion to convert Nyoma, located just 23-km from the Line of Actual Control with China at an altitude of 13,300-feet into a full-fledged airbase after an AN-32 landed there in September, 2009.

Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne recently held IAF wanted a 12,000-feet runway capable of handling fighters as well as transport aircraft at Nyoma to ensure India got "both defensive and offensive options".

As reported earlier, apart from progressively basing Sukhoi-30MKI fighters in the north-east, IAF is also upgrading other eastern sector ALGs like Pasighat, Mechuka, Walong, Tuting and Ziro as well as several helipads in Arunachal.

Defence minister A K Antony has himself held that, after "negligence in the past", India is taking counter-measures as part of "a conscious strategy" to strengthen military infrastructure, strike capabilities and operational logistics in the eastern sector.

The measures range from planning a new mountain strike corps (over 45,000 troops) after raising two new mountain infantry divisions, with 1,260 officers and 35,011 soldiers in Nagaland and Assam, to the progressive deployment of Sukhoi-30MKI fighters, spy drones, helicopters and missile squadrons in the north-east.

Advanced landing facility to be unveiled in Arunachal - The Times of India

SHASH2K2

Good move. We should have activated these forward landing bases long back. Question that I have in my mind is that how secure these forward landing bases would be during wars. its not very far away form border and chinese can easily damage them . We need to move in advance security and air defence equipments to those bases. Hope we have enough equipments to secure and cover all these bases .

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I have a question here regarding the Airfields at higher altitudes. What effect does the altitude have on engine performance and do they have to tweak it to achieve the performance they get at lower altitudes? How long does it take a person to get used to higher altitude climate? What are the other factors MOD has to take into account before they place their hardware assets at higher altitudes? You can suggest link or give me short answers.

Blackwater

I have a question here regarding the Airfields at higher altitudes. What effect does the altitude have on engine performance and do they have to tweak it to achieve the performance they get at lower altitudes? How long does it take a person to get used to higher altitude climate? What are the other factors MOD has to take into account before they place their hardware assets at higher altitudes? You can suggest link or give me short answers.
tu sada khush rahe

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles