ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

singh100ful

Country flag
https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/dss/2009/main/2-CEMILAC.pdf

This study by CEMILAC gives us some insight of what is wrong with ADA.
These study contains certain modifications suggested to increase performance of the LCA.
The only modification that i see is the LEVCON but only for Naval LCA.
May be the HAL will be doing some weight reduction for its MK1A as suggested in this paper.
This Study was published in 2009 and now 9 years have passed, these mods may have resulted in increase in performance, good amount of weight saving internally and would made space available for an internal SPJ but what i see today is ignorance of ADA, Navy denying support to Naval LCA, and Air force only placing firm orders after the LCA MK1A performance being verified and now there are no takers for MK2.
All in all it is not just american lobby but also those who are given responsible for our industry.

Reactions: Kay

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
No Brahmos A cannot be fitted on Tejas as of now. Hence Brahmos corp is making Brahmos Mini to fit into light and medium class fighters of IAF like Tejas, Jaguar, Mig-29 Rafael etc.

Reactions: Kay

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Can Tejas Mark 2 carry Brahmos A missile.
The Brahmos has a weight if 3 tons and Brahmos NG has a weight of 1.5-2 tons. Tejas can carry only 4 ton of weight. So, a single missile weighing 2 ton is unlikely to fit on any hardpoint. It is better to use Nirbhay missile or its subsonic smaller variant.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Indian Air Force chief said that air force would induct tejas mk 2 in 2027 with higher engine thrust. It is good that air force have changed their mind. Now hal should develope tejas mk 2 faster and must complete FOC in 2025.

Prashant12

Country flag
India readies its Brahmastra

Another missile milestone was achieved Wednesday with the successful testing of the BrahMos supersonic air-launched cruise missile. The missile was “successfully flight-tested for first time from the IAF’s frontline fighter aircraft Sukhoi-30MKI against a sea-based target in the Bay of Bengal,” said a defence ministry release. Jointly built by India and Russia and named after the Moscow and Brahmaputra rivers, the BrahMos is the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile.

Described as the “Brahmastra for the Indian Armed Forces” by Sivathanu Pillai, the co-founder of Brahmos Aerospace, the launch will significantly bolster the IAF’s ability to conduct surgical strikes deep inside enemy territory. With this launch, India now has a missile which can be launched from the air, land or sea. The Air Force version of the BrahMos, which can travel at Mach 2.8, has a strike range of 290 km and can carry a conventional warhead weighing up to 300 kg. It is lighter than the naval and land versions, enabling it to be launched from the Sukhoi, India’s heaviest all-weather, long-range fighter, specially modified to load it. Once a range of similar tests are completed, the missiles will be deployed on 42 Sukhois.

Buoyed by the successful launch of the BrahMos from the air, defence officials are already looking at ramping up production of newer iterations which will be smaller, faster and have longer ranges. These include BrahMos II, a hypersonic version (Mach 7 or higher), which returns to its launcher after delivering the warhead, and is expected to be ready around 2020. Then there’s BrahMos NG, or Lite, which at just 1.4 tons (and a lower range of 120 km) will be light enough to be carried by the indigenously built Tejas aircraft. As Sudhir Kumar Mishra, CEO and MD of BrahMos Aerospace put it, “The idea is to mass produce the missile so that we can integrate it on a variety of platforms. It is a new business initiative and we see a huge market for it in India and abroad.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/opi.../23/india-readies-its-brahmastra-1708710.html

Jagdish58

Will IAF accept LCA mk2 ?? or go for LWF ( F-16 / Gripen)

Is Naval LCA project still on ?? or tech demonstrator

please help with info

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
These include BrahMos II, a hypersonic version (Mach 7 or higher), which returns to its launcher after delivering the warhead, and is expected to be ready around 2020. Then there’s BrahMos NG, or Lite, which at just 1.4 tons (and a lower range of 120 km) will be light enough to be carried by the indigenously built Tejas aircraft.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/opi.../23/india-readies-its-brahmastra-1708710.html
Neither BrahMos will be able to lower down the Weight to suit LCA's heaviest capability pylon (for mk1 & mk1) nor IAF will agree have BrahMos-NG on its LCA

Narasimh

Country flag

please help with info
There are mixed reports in media. Some groups are saying that after LCA mk1a IAF may not go for LCA mk2 to be inducted but may support as a TD for future projects like AMCA. However, IAF chief recently said in a report, he is looking to get LCA mk2 as well. So we can only guess. Ultimately its the political leadership that has to be strong and willing to make decisions.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
There are mixed reports in media. Some groups are saying that after LCA mk1a IAF may not go for LCA mk2 to be inducted but may support as a TD for future projects like AMCA. However, IAF chief recently said in a report, he is looking to get LCA mk2 as well. So we can only guess. Ultimately its the political leadership that has to be strong and willing to make decisions.
What is technology demonatrator? Can you explain why would anyone ask for a technology demonstrator but not manufacture or induct it?

please help with info
If it will be done, it will be done fully. There is nothing called technology demonstrator.

Narasimh

Country flag
What is technology demonatrator? Can you explain why would anyone ask for a technology demonstrator but not manufacture or induct it?

If it will be done, it will be done fully. There is nothing called technology demonstrator.
These are in some media reports. But barring that, if you see NLCA, it was developed and we have couple of TDs and did not move to Production. So its not unprecedented..
I know that initially, it was not the plan to not induct it but now Navy is still continuing LCA program after declaring that its not going to induct them.
I do hope LCA Mk2 goes into development with a will to produce.

Flame Thrower

With all the new stuff coming in LCM Mk2, I doubt that GE 414 will have enough power to perform any serious tasks.

currently Mk1 is 6.5 tonnes without internal spj. Sure there is a dead weight.

If we assume that mk2 around 7 tonnes including Spj.

Mtow of Mk1. 6.5 + 2.5 tonne fuel + 4 tonnes of weapons

14 tonnes with 84kn.

Mtow of Mk2. 6.5+ 3.2 tonnes fuel + 5 tonnes of weapons.

TWR for Mk1 is around 0.6 and for Mk2 will be 0.65

For F 18 TWR is somewhere similar around LCA Mk2.

TWR of rafale m will be close to Mk1.

When I first read the tweets, I was shit scared that MK2 might be underpowered. Infact, I started this post to mention the same. I was curious to check how we'd fare when compared to hornets and rafale.

God, I am very glad after doing some quick calculations.

Note: Most of the info is accurate only till one decimal points. I've taken higher values for Mk1 and Mk2 for a very good reason. We expected Mk1 to be around 5.5 tonnes, but today even after removing ballasts we might get around 6 tonnes.

I know that I might have upset few folks with rough numbers. But hey, these are rough calculations. So, we might get a decent plane with average power if we can finish the last kinks in the design and start churning the prototype by mid 19.

This is one of the few posts where I was shit scared when started it and relieved by the end of the post.

Thus I rest my case.

darshan978

Darth Vader
Country flag
I wish we would have selected EJ200 FOR LCA. he would not have underpowered

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
cockpit is still have two options either HALBIT designed or carry forward current one with modifications..
The first one is rejected by IAF, and they call it deficient, since then ADA showed the cockpit with Elbit NG cockpit. However Sjha reported that above panel as cockpit panel for Mk2

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The featured Elbit NG cockpit is offered for MK2 which is not officially considered, Its also under Mr Gupta`s wish list as he keep posting its picture every year in his blog ..

But the very real upgrade is already featured on MKI, which is researched by DARE ( GOI ) under ToT by foreign counterpart and transferred the know how to local partners for manufacturing..

This is a very promising upgrade that can be done for MK2, The same MFDs are being used on Russian 5th generation prototypes and their own 4.5 generation front-line fighters.

=================

cockpit config of MK2

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles