ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

vayuu1

Country flag
To me Mk2 aka MWF is enlarged version of tejas. Both looks similar. Am not able to find any reason why should MWF have new name?

Whole world follows number series to for aircrafts. Su27 became Su30. F16 becoming F21. Miraj 2000 bacame Miraj 4000.

Why not keep 'Tejas' name constand and use number series.

We can use Tejas timeline for numbers to understand
2013 OIC-2 - Tejas 13
2019 FOC - Tejas 19
2023 MWF first flight (just for e.g.) - Tejas 23

makes it simple to understand. Plus it keeps 'The Tejas' tag .. with all the struggle and learning alive. And most importantly, Tejas project will be seen as successful by mango man. Otherwise dalaas (all sorts of) are sitting to tag it as failed project once we give new name to MWF.

We are unnecessary creating confusion by giving new name to MWF.

And btw, Tejas is the BEST name if u look at the suggested options. :biggrin2:
I feel ojas is a pretty good name to light fighter tejas, medium fighter ojas.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

amit19

Country flag
Mirage 4000 was a twine engine plane.
yes.
There will be few changes when size changes, but the 'product' remained same. Hence Name remained same - Mirage.

If MWF shows up completely new design then New name is justifiable. Otherwise adding number series to name Tejas will be the best option.

Last edited:

amit19

Country flag
I feel ojas is a pretty good name to light fighter tejas, medium fighter ojas.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk
If the product is same and size is bigger, why to have different name.
If we keep same name with number added, it will help in export marketing - Tejas 19 for exports, Tejas 23 for internal consumption.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
If the product is same and size is bigger, why to have different name.
If we keep same name with number added, it will help in export marketing - Tejas 19 for exports, Tejas 23 for internal consumption.
I agree.... They should keep the name Tejas and keep adding version like Mk1 Mk1A Mk2 and so on.....
We must make name 'Tejas" a brand. The platform is not going to change....
If I understand their concern around this.....
We should also stop calling it LCA Tejas or Tejas LCA.... This is where they have the concern....
Let's all start calling it Tejas only.....

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I have a question, as we all know that MWF will be larger then Tejas mark 1 or 1A then cannot we use GE 110 or P&W F100?
I too do have such confusion,, not with tajas & its varients since tejas developed around f404/414.
But seriously we should change the engine choice for AMCA. Even turkey is using PW F100 engine for their gen5 fighter.
Its always have a stealth fighter in medium category.

Lancer

Bana
Country flag
Maybe they should name the MWF "Marut"
To me Mk2 aka MWF is enlarged version of tejas. Both looks similar. Am not able to find any reason why should MWF have new name?

Whole world follows number series to for aircrafts. Su27 became Su30. F16 becoming F21. Miraj 2000 bacame Miraj 4000.

Why not keep 'Tejas' name constand and use number series.

We can use Tejas timeline for numbers to understand
2013 OIC-2 - Tejas 13
2019 FOC - Tejas 19
2023 MWF first flight (just for e.g.) - Tejas 23

makes it simple to understand. Plus it keeps 'The Tejas' tag .. with all the struggle and learning alive. And most importantly, Tejas project will be seen as successful by mango man. Otherwise dalaas (all sorts of) are sitting to tag it as failed project once we give new name to MWF.

We are unnecessary creating confusion by giving new name to MWF.

And btw, Tejas is the BEST name if u look at the suggested options. :biggrin2:
What about bringing back the name "Marut?"

Prashant12

Country flag
Tejas Mark II to have ability to conduct Balakot-like operations

The Mark II, fitted with heavier GE 414 engine, will roll out in 2022, take to the skies in 2023 and join IAF by 2026.

The indigenous Tejas Mark II fighter jet will have the capacity to conduct operations such as the one the Indian Air Force undertook in Balakot, with beyond-visual-range missiles with a greater reach and virtually jam-proof AESA radars in order to be suitable replacements for the Indian Air Force (IAF)’s aging Mirage 2000 fighters, according to the agency overseeing the development the aircraft. The Mark II, fitted with heavier GE 414 engine, will roll out in 2022, take to the skies in 2023 and join IAF by 2026.

Satisfied with performance of Tejas MK I in its full operational configuration on Tuesday, Girish Deodhare, Program Director (Combat Aircraft), Aeronautical Development Agency said that the MK II will have double the range of its predecessor and fitted with Astra II BVR air-to-air missiles with a range of at least 150 km. “ While Tejas MK I is for combat air patrol within the Indian territory, MK II will have the capacity to conduct Balakot-like surgical strikes in enemy territory as it will carry heavy standoff weapons like Crystal Maze and Spice missiles,” added Deodhare. On February 26, 2019, IAF’s Mirage 2000 entered Pakistani territory to target a Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) terror training camp at Jabba Top in Balakot, Manshera in retaliation for the terror group’s suicide attack on a CRPF convoy in Pulwama, Jammu & Kashmir.

While work on MK II is proceeding apace, ADA, in consultation with IAF will also freeze the design of its twin-engine advanced medium combat aircraft (AMCA) in the next three months. IAF, last November gave a written commitment to DRDO that it would buy the fifth-generation AMCA to strengthen its strike capabilities. AMCA is expected to roll out in 2024 and take to the skies the following year. The Tejas MK II is a 4.5 generation aircraft.

According to Deodhare, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will produce 16 FOC (Final Operational Clearance) Tejas plus eight trainers before the reverse integration of IAF’s Tejas in initial configuration is taken up. “ HAL has done a commendable job to produce a FOC Tejas within a year of the design being frozen. This will help up in faster development of MK II as this only involves in upscaling of the existing platform with superior armaments, radar and avionics,” he said.

For the MK II, ADA in collaboration with its parent DRDO is developing the indigenous active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar, which is not ony difficult to detect but also has high resistance to jamming by the enemy during engagement. As of now, the Tejas MK I platform has been integrated with Israeli Derby BVR missiles with enhanced range so that enemy planes are picked up and targeted even as they cross the Indian border.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/indi...ot-like-ops/story-kMUDWj7o7GkrK2WTsAsGEM.html

amit19

Country flag
Tejas Mark II to have ability to conduct Balakot-like operations

The Mark II, fitted with heavier GE 414 engine, will roll out in 2022, take to the skies in 2023 and join IAF by 2026.

The indigenous Tejas Mark II fighter jet will have the capacity to conduct operations such as the one the Indian Air Force undertook in Balakot, with beyond-visual-range missiles with a greater reach and virtually jam-proof AESA radars in order to be suitable replacements for the Indian Air Force (IAF)’s aging Mirage 2000 fighters, according to the agency overseeing the development the aircraft. The Mark II, fitted with heavier GE 414 engine, will roll out in 2022, take to the skies in 2023 and join IAF by 2026.

Satisfied with performance of Tejas MK I in its full operational configuration on Tuesday, Girish Deodhare, Program Director (Combat Aircraft), Aeronautical Development Agency said that the MK II will have double the range of its predecessor and fitted with Astra II BVR air-to-air missiles with a range of at least 150 km. “ While Tejas MK I is for combat air patrol within the Indian territory, MK II will have the capacity to conduct Balakot-like surgical strikes in enemy territory as it will carry heavy standoff weapons like Crystal Maze and Spice missiles,” added Deodhare. On February 26, 2019, IAF’s Mirage 2000 entered Pakistani territory to target a Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) terror training camp at Jabba Top in Balakot, Manshera in retaliation for the terror group’s suicide attack on a CRPF convoy in Pulwama, Jammu & Kashmir.

While work on MK II is proceeding apace, ADA, in consultation with IAF will also freeze the design of its twin-engine advanced medium combat aircraft (AMCA) in the next three months. IAF, last November gave a written commitment to DRDO that it would buy the fifth-generation AMCA to strengthen its strike capabilities. AMCA is expected to roll out in 2024 and take to the skies the following year. The Tejas MK II is a 4.5 generation aircraft.

According to Deodhare, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will produce 16 FOC (Final Operational Clearance) Tejas plus eight trainers before the reverse integration of IAF’s Tejas in initial configuration is taken up. “ HAL has done a commendable job to produce a FOC Tejas within a year of the design being frozen. This will help up in faster development of MK II as this only involves in upscaling of the existing platform with superior armaments, radar and avionics,” he said.

For the MK II, ADA in collaboration with its parent DRDO is developing the indigenous active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar, which is not ony difficult to detect but also has high resistance to jamming by the enemy during engagement. As of now, the Tejas MK I platform has been integrated with Israeli Derby BVR missiles with enhanced range so that enemy planes are picked up and targeted even as they cross the Indian border.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/indi...ot-like-ops/story-kMUDWj7o7GkrK2WTsAsGEM.html
here we go ......

Now WTF is this :pound:
Just ask the HT auther wether he knew difference in mk1 mk1a mk2 mwf.

Last edited:

janme

Country flag
Has the metal cutting of MK2 even started? otherwise its just hot air.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Initial testing phase has shown that #Uttam AESA radar has a far better MTBF rate than #Israeli Elta 2052 AESA radar.
Thanks bro. I was about to search this. Some of our members are highly impressed with china. It is very difficult to convince them about correct things. Now corona has broken up in china. Some people are praising China for the measures they have taken rather than questioning why such horrible epidemic breaks out in China every few years.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Thanks bro. I was about to search this. Some of our members are highly impressed with china. It is very difficult to convince them about correct things. Now corona has broken up in china. Some people are praising China for the measures they have taken rather than questioning why such horrible epidemic breaks out in China every few years.
Mostly young members with less age and experience. Older guys know the reality of China.

China has no excess to Western weaponry so there domestic weapon don't face any competition and accepted as is. While our uttam has to out perform elta and thales offers to be accepted.

Younger members would be well served if they'd read more before reaching conclusion.

dude00720

Country flag
Mostly young members with less age and experience. Older guys know the reality of China.

China has no excess to Western weaponry so there domestic weapon don't face any competition and accepted as is. While our uttam has to out perform elta and thales offers to be accepted.

Younger members would be well served if they'd read more before reaching conclusion.
This is an MK2 thread guys. let us forget china. In my view, after 83 MK1A orders being finalised, focus needs to shift for first flight of MK2 ASAP(ADA and DRDO). What is pending? Isnt the design nearly frozen? I guess we're using GE engine for IOC of Mk2.

IndianHawk

Country flag
This is an MK2 thread guys. let us forget china. In my view, after 83 MK1A orders being finalised, focus needs to shift for first flight of MK2 ASAP(ADA and DRDO). What is pending? Isnt the design nearly frozen? I guess we're using GE engine for IOC of Mk2.
Not just ioc I'm afraid. Ge f414 will be used in all mwf. Hopefully by mid life upgrade ( 2035-40) we will have indegenious alternative.

Mwf will start metal cutting by next year take two years for first build so by 2023 first flight should happen. Since directly production standard frames will be build and it will follow concurrent development/ testing paradigm it should enter service by 2026-27. Latest should be 2028.

Most of the components are ready . Uttam is almost there. Ew suite will follow the development of d29 and su30 upcoming suite. Digital rwr will go in mk1a itself. Maws are in works for su30 already. Obogs in works already. Astra mk1 will be integrated with mk1a itself. Sensor fusion will be in mk1a .

Point is there is no component which will be delayed . Soup is ready the only challenges are design optimization and integration.

If they add amca features like dsi- intake then it could be delayed.but if they remain committed to earlier configuration it should come up fast.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles