Actress Suchitra Krishnamoorthi booked for employing child labour

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Actress Suchitra Krishnamoorthi booked for employing child labour
IANS 25 August 2009, 05:09pm IST

MUMBAI: In the wake of growing abuse of domestic servants and minors in the city, the Maharashtra government on Tuesday filed cases against Suchita Krishnamoorthi. (TOI Photo)

Bollywood actress Suchitra Krishnamoorthi and television star Laxmi for allegedly employing child labour.

Labour Minister Nawab Malik told media persons on Tuesday afternoon that his department got information that the two actresses were employing minor girls as maids.

"Accordingly, we have initiated necessary proceedings against the two actresses. We appeal to people to come forward and give us information about such individuals who employ child labour so we can take suitable steps in the matter," Malik said.

Suchitra is the former wife of noted director Shekhar Kapur.

The action comes barely three days after television actress Urvashi Dhanorkar was arrested Saturday for beating, burning and confining her 10-year old maid after she caught her "eating".

Dhanorkar was bailed out hours after her arrest. Meanwhile, the victim, Rameshwari is now in a juvenile rescue home.

The Child Labour Prevention Act, 1986, was amended October 2006 to ban employment of children under 14 as domestic servants and in dhabas, restaurants, hotels and other hospitality sectors. It makes their employment a punishable offence.

Actress Suchitra Krishnamoorthi booked for employing child labour - India - NEWS - The Times of India

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Good. We need more examples like this to create fear in peoples' mind and should deter them in employing child labor. At the same time, we also need to create more awareness by means of print and television media.

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
It won't do much .Child labour is rampant.Half my neighbors employ underage girls.Most of the maids in my building bring their little girls too so they could work in more houses and earn a some more money.When their own parents are like that then what could media do?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
It won't do much .Child labour is rampant.Half my neighbors employ underage girls.Most of the maids in my building bring their little girls too so they could work in more houses and earn a some more money.When their own parents are like that then what could media do?
You should immediately notify this to labor department about your neighbors employing Child labor. Be a good citizen and do it right away.

Pintu

Completely agreed with dd, here more strict action like this type should be done , in the implementation of this shall be done , in a fair mindset and simultaneously campaign through popular media shall be initiated, moreover what we need , the change of mindset that is the answer of solving the problem.

Regards

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
I do think that these things do change alot , Who normally employ child labours and child maids ? Its that section of the society which is finiancial strong and when action is taken against them then this system of hiring child labours and child maids will start to change . and the Rich and Middle class section of the society would be forced to hire adults and pay them correctly by which they can help out thier families .

You should immediately notify this to labor department about your neighbors employing Child labor. Be a good citizen and do it right away.
They'll be lots of problems in reporting the child labour:(
Some of which my family cannot face.I'm sorry i can't do much
And there isn't any assurance this help either the girls or their family.
Trust me when i say it's rampant.
If you go by their parents logic this is why these children were born so they could be used to earn money.My maid has 7 kids(3 boys and 4 girls).All the girls are employed in households.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
If you go by their parents logic this is why these children were born so they could be used to earn money.My maid has 7 kids(3 boys and 4 girls).All the girls are employed in households.
Again, everything boils down to poverty, lack of education and social responsibility. What can I say?. :(

prahladh

Respected Member
Hi 1.44,
Can you be more specific on this. What problems will you face while reporting these incidents? May be if we untie this knot without you getting into trouble it might do a larger good by inspiring others.

If you report at least one case your entire neighbourhood will stop employing children.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Woman to be rearrested for torturing 10-yr-old maid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement
Share Print E-mail Comment[ - ] Text [ + ]STAFF WRITER 15:44 HRS IST
Mumbai, Aug 25 (PTI) The mother of a child artist, who was released on bail after being arrested for allegedly torturing and assaulting her minor domestic help in suburban Andheri, will be rearrested, a senior minister said today.

"Urvashi Dhanorkar will be rearrested and booked under the Child Trafficking and Bonded Labour Acts," Labour Minister Nawab Malik told reporters here.

Dhanorkar allegedly assaulted her 10-year-old domestic help Rameshwari Jadhav, causing injuries to her eyes and arms.

She was arrested on August 21 from her residence and the next day, produced before a local court, which granted her bail on a personal bond of Rs 10,000.

The victim is now at Mankhurd remand home here, the minister said.

This is the fourth incident involving abuse of domestic help in the houses of film and TV personalities in the past few months, the minister said.

fullstory

Hi 1.44,
If you report at least one case your entire neighbourhood will stop employing children.
Hi:)
Nice sentiment .
I agree that should be done but sadly it's a not-so-easy decision to make once you think about it

prahladh

Respected Member
Hi:)
Nice sentiment .
I agree that should be done but sadly it's a not-so-easy decision to make once you think about it
Whats not-so-easy for you may be easy for someone else.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Three actresses booked for employing child labour
2009-08-25 19:09:05
Last Updated: 2009-08-26 09:43:22
Mumbai: In the wake of growing abuse of domestic help and minors, the Maharashtra government on Tuesday filed cases against three actresses - Bollywood star-singer Suchitra Krishnamoorthi and television stars Laxmi and Uma Khan - for allegedly employing child labour.

"We have initiated police action against them under various sections of the Child Labour & Prohibition Act, 1986, the Juvenile Justice Act and other laws for employing child labour," Labour Secretary Kavita Gupta said.

She also promised action against television actress Urvashi Dharnorkar, who was arrested on Saturday on charges of beating, burning and confining her 10-year old maid.

Earlier, Labour Minister Nawab Malik told journalists that the labour department had information that at least two actresses had employed minor girls (below 14 years of age) as domestic labour.

"We have initiated the necessary proceedings against the actresses. We appeal to people to give us information about individuals who employ child labour so we can take suitable steps," Malik said.

Gupta said that Suchitra, former wife of film director Shekhar Kapoor, had employed a minor girl, Naranti from Meghalaya. Laxmi had employed Laila Khan while Uma Khan had employed Shanti Vishwakarma at their homes.

"Some NGOs got a tip off and managed to rescue the minor girls - Naranti, Laila and Shanti. With the help of the labour department, they have lodged police complaints against them," she said.

Gupta said that employing children below 14 years of age in households was prohibited under law because domestic work of all kind is categorized under "hazardous activities".

"If convicted, it attracts a penalty of Rs 20,000 and/or jail term ranging from six to 24 months," she added.

The action comes barely three days after Dharnorkar was arrested for beating her maid. However she managed to secure bail within hours, causing a furore.

The victim, Rameshwari is lodged in a juvenile rescue home.

"The government feels that for such heinous offence, (Urvashi) should not have secured bail so easily. Now we are contemplating other serious charges against her, including laws pertaining to bonded labour and child trafficking," Gupta said.

http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?a=jiqwXAhihgc&title=Shahrukh_Khan_says_stopped_at_US_airport_over_Muslim_name&tag=bollywood
She said there had been many similar complaints that people from the glamour world were employing children as domestic servants.

"These famous personalities are role models for society. Whatever they do, the masses blindly follow them. This magnifies the problem," Gupta said.

The Child Labour Prevention Act, 1986, was amended in October 2006 to ban employment of children under 14 as domestic maid and in restaurants, hotels and other hospitality sectors.

http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?...booked_for_employing_child_labour&tag=topnews

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
No case registered against Suchitra Krishnamoorthi: Minister
PTI 26 August 2009, 05:58pm IST

MUMBAI: No case was registered against actress-singer Suchitra Krishnamoorthi over hiring a minor domestic help, Maharashtra labour minister Nawab Malik said on Wednesday.

"I was provided wrong information by an NGO and on the basis of that I had announced that a case was registered," Malik told reporters here.

A case was registered in May 2007 against Suchitra's mother Sulochana Krishnamoorthi but the charges were dropped, he said adding that Suchitra met him on Wednesday.

The two-year-old case was about a minor girl found at her (Suchitra's) parents' home, the minister said, adding the girl has been sent back to her village in Orissa.

Suchitra told him that the girl's aunt, a housemaid, had requested to keep the girl for a few days and accordingly, she kept her at her the parents' place.

However, another maid complained to police that the girl was employed by the Krishnamoorthi family, the actress said.

No case registered against Suchitra Krishnamoorthi: Minister - India - NEWS - The Times of India

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
I don’t have a maid below 14: Suchitra
TNN 25 August 2009, 09:48pm IST
Print Email Discuss Bookmark/Share Save Comment Text Size: |

Suchitra Krishnamoorthi is shocked at being accused of employing a minor as a maid. She says, “I was having lunch with a girlfriend when I got a Suchitra Krishnamoorthi
few calls from journos and friends telling me I am on TV-breaking news.

Suchitra Krishnamoorthi accused of employing a girl below 14-abusing child labour laws!’ To say I am shocked and hurt is putting it mildly - I am devastated.”

The actress, painter and mother of a nine-year-old adds, “The Labour Minister has named me on TV - the television is full of images of me alongside of a nine-year-old bruised and abused little girl that was rescued a few days ago from the home of a television actress Urvashi. There is nothing more painful than that visual to me, the mother of a nine-year-old myself.”

Suchitra, the former wife of filmmaker Shekhar Kapur, writes on her blog, “Whatever the labour department has said about today me - It is a LIE. I have employed no one below the age of 14 and certainly no one by the name of Nayantri, not currently and NEVER in the past.”

She adds, “I currently employ two girls aged 18. I have registered with two maid agencies in the city who provide me maids with verification and identity.”

Denying that the labour department, police or NGO had been contact with her over the issue, she says sternly, “I demand and challenge them to come up with the proof of the heinous accusations they are hurling at me. My home and my phone line are open to them. As a law abiding citizen I have every right to ask them to furnish me with the evidence they have supposedly gathered against me. Who is this girl? What are they talking about?”

Suchitra states, “So whoever else the labour department is talking about is a figment of their imagination. I am a law abiding citizen and have spent the last few years working towards the betterment of women and children’s lives. Not only with my money but with my valuable time energy and love.”

She says, “When I first saw the news break out I thought it may be about a maid called Rajmoti I had employed over a month ago. She was 16 or 17 and sent to me by her sister Sunita who has been working in my dear friend Tanaya’s home for four years. They told me Rajmoti needed a home. She was fresh from her village that didn’t even have electricity and were keen for her to love and stay in the city for a while.”

“So wondering if the labour laws had changed from 14 to 18, and if this was what the ruckus was about, I called up her sister Sunita and asked if they had perhaps been contacted by an NGO or lodged a complaint. They were shocked and assured me that I had done them a favour by taking the girl in and there was no way they would have lodged a complaint and nor had any NGO or labour department contacted them. So it’s definitely not Rajmoti. As for this other girl Nayantari, that the labour department is accusing me of employing and abusing, I am not even aware of her existence.”

She is willing to give the benefit of doubt to the authorities concerned, “I don’t know who is behind this and why my name is being dragged into it. Maybe it’s a misunderstanding and the name has been misunderstood. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and will pause a bit before I decide what further I need to do.”

Suchitra concludes, “I am not going to let a lie and a fabricated accusation strip me of everything I stand for, have worked towards and believe in. I have faith that the truth with prevail.”

I don?t have a maid below 14: Suchitra - News & Interviews - Bollywood - ENTERTAINMENT - The Times of India

Global Defence

New threads

Articles