Act against N-E insurgents, India to tell Myanmar

ejazr

Ambassador
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Act-against-N-E-insurgents-India-to-tell-Myanmar/Article1-642530.aspx

As Bangladesh continues to crack down on insurgent groups across the border, India will next week ask Myanmar to act against groups operating out of its border districts. Security agencies have viewed with concern the continuing ability of insurgent groups in the Northeast such as Ulfa and NSCN (IM) to operate out of Myanmar. Government sources said the concerns would be taken up at the home secretary-level talks beginning Monday next.

Home secretary GK Pillai would lead the Indian delegation; the visiting delegation would be led by Myanmar's Deputy Minister for Home Affairs U Phone Swi.

At this meeting, Pillai is likely to raise concern on activities of Indian insurgent groups operating along the India-Myanmar border, and request action against them, an official spokesman said.

Anthony Shimray, the NSCN (IM) 'foreign secretary' and its chief arms buyer, arrested this October, had indicated how the country had become their haven when he confessed that an arms consignment brought by the insurgent group had been hidden in Myanmar.

Continuing its action against insurgent groups in Bangladesh, the elite security force, Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) has busted hideouts of the Indian insurgents in the northern border district of Sherpur, adjacent to Meghalaya.

The seizure of 13,680 rifle bullets abandoned by insurgents has led to a massive crackdown and it was found that the recently recovered huge quantity of bullets in Bakagora of Sherpur belonged to the Indian insurgents active in border villages.

According to Lt Col Ziaul Ahsan, chief of RAB intelligence it is suspected the ammunition belonged to Indian separatists and they left it behind while leaving their hideouts.

Agantrope

Good atleast it is late than never.

Myanmar now helping india in this act.

Oracle

If by 2015, terrorism in the NE is eliminated it will be a great success. NE has a lot of potential for development in terms of agriculture, manufacturing and services based sectors. 2015 is overtly positive I guess, seeing the progress made by GoI there for the last 63 years. But nonetheless, a great initiative.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Telling the Burmese to do more alone will not work. We have to raise the stakes and offer them goodies. Rather than wasting $ 100 million to upgrade Sri Lankan Navy which only attacks our fishermen and kills our Tamil people, I think if 70% of that money's worth can be used to assist Burmese armed forces in terms of helping them fight insurgents and terrorists. I am sure that they though are good at bus warfare, counter-insurgency isn't an easy task and this is where our special forces must cooperate with them and help enhance their CT forces.

This way we kill 3 birds with one stone:

- Gain Burmese government's trust to economically expand later into their market
- Wipe out our terrorists who are a menace to our forces
- Wean Burmese off Chinese control and offer them a second basket

Our government must think practically. Rather than gifting Lankans so much money, we should also see where all we can make use of this money and help potential allies equally while eradicating our problems.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
India for some reason does not have a declared /undeclared policy of assassinating terrorist leaders or anti national leaders. I think the policy needs a revisit. Maoists leaders killed in encounters have really hit them hard. If we target these people living in their cozy exile homes, we could hurt the terrorists quite a bit.

Oracle

/\/\/\ Yusuf, we do have an undeclared policy of assassinating terrorist cadres. We cannot use them on Isak Muviah though, as he is a known figure. But tails are curtailed now and then in the NE whenever our forces get the chance.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
India for some reason does not have a declared /undeclared policy of assassinating terrorist leaders or anti national leaders. I think the policy needs a revisit. Maoists leaders killed in encounters have really hit them hard. If we target these people living in their cozy exile homes, we could hurt the terrorists quite a bit.
Exactly man. This is what makes Mossad of Israel such a feared entity in the eyes of terrorists that attack or plan to hit Israel. But it would be a miracle of our politicians had even wee bit of concern for anyone.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
/\/\/\ Yusuf, we do have an undeclared policy of assassinating terrorist cadres. We cannot use them on Isak Muviah though, as he is a known figure. But tails are curtailed now and then in the NE whenever our forces get the chance.
What known figure? That group has been ravaging NE for so many years! Could you tell me what you intend to say that someone would do in case NIA agents assassinate IMu leaders? First of all this won't be out in the open, secondly, we will know who are the IMu moles in rights groups, government bodies and sensitive boards who are backing these wannabe-Talibans and can eliminate them too.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
They will say control the activities of anti Burma govt in India.

Oracle

What known figure? That group has been ravaging NE for so many years! Could you tell me what you intend to say that someone would do in case NIA agents assassinate IMu leaders? First of all this won't be out in the open, secondly, we will know who are the IMu moles in rights groups, government bodies and sensitive boards who are backing these wannabe-Talibans and can eliminate them too.
When I said known figure, I meant that this guy is in the media for too much a long time. Assassinating him would lead to chaos in Nagaland, Manipur and some other areas of NE which are dominated by Nagas. Even my hometown too would be affected. Many innocent people will get killed in retaliation. The best way to tackle NSCM, is to tackle it's cadres first. Exterminate elements within them covertly who have hardcore views, and accommodate elements within them who wants to change.

NIA is an investigative agency, not RA&W or IB. Btw, IMu is too new when you compare them with NSCM, so why the argument in the first place?
GoI is trying to nip IM in the bud, but this policy won't work with NSCM. NSCM are a vintage terrorist group.

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
When I said known figure, I meant that this guy is in the media for too much a long time. Assassinating him would lead to chaos in Nagaland, Manipur and some other areas of NE which are dominated by Nagas. Even my hometown too would be affected. Many innocent people will get killed in retaliation. The best way to tackle NSCM, is to tackle it's cadres first. Exterminate elements within them covertly who have hardcore views, and accommodate elements within them who wants to change.

NIA is an investigative agency, not RA&W or IB. Btw, IMu is too new when you compare them with NSCM, so why the argument in the first place?
GoI is trying to nip IM in the bud, but this policy won't work with NSCM. NSCM are a vintage terrorist group.
Dude some amount of collateral damage has to be taken as without action it is impossible to kick these losers out. IMu is not as big as Kashmir's Jihadists at the moment and we should not let them become the 2nd Maoists of this country either. This is why it is important to start using media to set the people up against these terrorist factions. Wars are not just to be fought from military angle but also psychological angle. Use of brute force should be showcased like how Russian SPETSNAZ did against Chechen terrorists in second war (first one was a disaster). This brutality sent a chill to the bones of terrorists and hence had a big time trouble attacking Russian soldiers. They know death is a sort of freedom whereas torture is living and bearing the pain.

Cadres are definitely to be eliminated but they are just brainwashed cannon-fodder for these people. The aim should be to strike at the core. I won't be surprised if media channels also have their moles working for terrorists. NSCM, IMu and all these groups in general I speak of. Unless and until a brutal campaign of torturous assassinations are not conducted against them and sent a psychological message, our region will not develop.

What causes a region to develop? Its ability to take in investments and to keep them safe. Bihar was a hellhole just 15 years back whom no industrialist wanted to see other than from the point of a giant mineral mine. Today, all want to cue up and be a part of the state's super-high development. Because Nitish took steps to bring Bihar out of the cesspool it was in. And naturally there would have been places where he would have ordered the use of brute force against bandits and even possibly maoists that doesn't come to media. This is what has to be used in our NE.

And it should be done with more induction of locals into the armed forces. Naga regiment is well known but the only ones apart from them here are Gorkha regiment(s) and paramilitary Assam rifles. We and Arunchalis have been given only scouting duties so far. What we need is more forces like SF-21 that have our own state people in who know the area in and out. And since our region people also know the psyche of our own kind, it would be simpler than expecting fellow Indians from other states to do the job.

Oracle

I agree. But since ours is a democracy, we should not let loose hell. India is no Pakistan.

Collateral damage - That's a very catchy term. Our forces kill leaders of terrorists groups. There is chaos, there are bandhs. Innocents get slaughtered. Is this what you mean by collateral damage? I do not subscribe to your ideas then. A couple of months back, Manipur was in crossroads because of agitation from Naga Rebel supporters. I have faced it, and I don't want the same to happen again.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I agree. But since ours is a democracy, we should not let loose hell. India is no Pakistan.

Collateral damage - That's a very catchy term. Our forces kill leaders of terrorists groups. There is chaos, there are bandhs. Innocents get slaughtered. Is this what you mean by collateral damage? I do not subscribe to your ideas then. A couple of months back, Manipur was in crossroads because of agitation from Naga Rebel supporters. I have faced it, and I don't want the same to happen again.
Then you didn't understand the meaning of why I used collateral damage. I remember the chaos that rebel supporters caused and it was shown pretty well. However, this is where the intel gathering comes. How do they support this guy? Why do they support this guy? What are they offering these people for supporting them? Usually this sort of stuff becomes semi-political because of our yellow media politicizing and glamorizing even national security matters. Remember that Rs. 40 lakh had been spent on the stone pelters doing what they did few months back in J&K. This sort of stuff is ALWAYS there behind these so-called supporters.

You misunderstand the meaning of democracy as a lot offellow Indians do if you want to use it this way. Democracy is not a free license to anarchy terrorism and disorder. It is a platform where all get the right to express their views by remaining within the framework of national law and respecting the country's integrity. And I won't call this democratic at all. Israel, Germany, UK, USA, France etc are all democracies and really transparent ones and ones that still have some political conscience compared to our elite. Have you seen how they tackle terrorism? Take Israel's example. We need to learn big time from them. Intel. That's their mantra. they tail, shadow and follow every single terrorist agency plotting against them. Now our region has surely a lot of talented people who can work in this field. We are also renowned for a host of warrior-tradition based communities, meaning that neither we lack brains nor the muscle. All we lack is resolve and will.

If Sikkim, Nagaland, Manipur, Arunachal, Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Tripura have to me made into Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Surat, Pune, Chennai etc, we will have to take the first step. When fighting against terrorism and enemies of the nation and people, often sometimes our own rules have to be bent for the sake of the very values that we respect. Savagery against savages is not sin. And since this isn't Pakistan as you said, we will have to do this tactfully. No need to look beyond Israeli methods.

Now coming back to collateral damage, once these psychological warfare alongside spec-ops begin, the terrorists will begin to feel the heat. This heat will be used by them to make us think as if entire NE wants them and only them to "rule" the state by fake "bandhs" and "morchas". This is simply a last ditch attempt to show that Government has no support but a few "supporters" some of whom don't even know the genuine reason for the bandhs. But the shadowy strikes should continue in a ruthless manner getting increasingly fierce. Now naturally some people will definitely end up being caught in cross fire (both mental and literal) since no conflict is solved in a clean manner. This is what I meant by collateral damage (and of course possibly for our special forces, though I hope not).

Oracle

/\/\/\ First post of yours where I agree with you. Having said that, it should start from J&K.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
/\/\/\ First post of yours where I agree with you. Having said that, it should start from J&K.
J&K is in enough spotlight man. Meaning that it is in the mainstream almost all the time. How many times have these NE rebels come up to the notice of entire India? Very little. During my stay in Delhi, no average dude knew anything about it whomsoever I asked. All know Kashmir but no one knows our region's problems. NE needs some attention; though it is negative now, this will become an initiative to be the positive publicity of the region in the long term. Roses cannot be plucked without encountering some thorns. That's the law of world.

Bihar sprang into national spotlight through operations. Now they might not have been hi-fi commando operations that our region requires, but most of the problems were related to law and order which has seen a drastic betterment as compared to yesteryears. This is what is needed; cleaning the slate; combing the region and getting rid of all worms. Hence it should start with NE. And believe me if this style of operations start in our region, not only rest of India will know about us but also this will be a powerful psychological tool of warfare that Kashmir's terrorists have not encountered till date and hence remain taut in their position relying on their Pakistani masters.

NE due to its location has been not in mainstream media but once the GOI genuinely starts such operations that we say and there is visible improvement in safety and security and less terrorism (to the point that once it ends for ever), businessmen, investors, academies, institutes, sports complexes, infrastructure etc all will follow into the region. India as a country has nearly limitless possibilities to develop and right now there's so much noise just by developing Mumbai and Bangalore that are already strong in infrastructure. Imagine the potential our region has. We are the second "Switzerland" of India with our location and habitat alongside Kashmir. And the best part is that NE is not an international issue unlike Kashmir where Pakistan is the meddling nuisance. A wise man has said "problem solving begins at home" and this being a 100% domestic issue, we can quell it easily without getting any bigoted rights groups involved.

Trust me, while the nature of this operations will be unknown to common people in general, the militant groups will feel its heat even in Kashmir. Remember that NE terrorists and Kashmiri jihadists have started forging links already as some reports have it. Which means we need to get pro-active rather than reactive. And getting proactive means getting ruthless down to core and to perfection. That's the only alternative left if we want to see a shining NE for our future generation.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles