A Very Happy Republic Day 2013 !

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I will re produce what I posted on my FB status.

Republic Day celebrates the formation of the Constitution of India. Considering what's happening and the fallacies of the system which gives the politicians a long arm, it's time to revisit the constitution.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
I will re produce what I posted on my FB status.

Republic Day celebrates the formation of the Constitution of India. Considering what's happening and the fallacies of the system which gives the politicians a long arm, it's time to revisit the constitution.
Yes, We need a presidential 2 party system in India.

And Happy Republic day to all ! Jai Hind!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes, We need a presidential 2 party system in India.

And Happy Republic day to all ! Jai Hind!
Agree with the presidential system but not sure if we can have just a two party system considering the diversity in the country. But yes in the long run, there will be a consolidation with all smaller and regional parties joining national parties.

I have been a proponent of the US system for India with Indian touches to it for a long long time.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Happy Republic Day.

It may interest you all to know that

.The date 'January 26' was significant in more than one way. It was on this day in 1930 that Mahatma Gandhi gave his call for 'Purna Swaraj' (total Independence). So, for most people in the city - and elsewhere in the country - the day meant the 'original Independence Day' of the country and was observed with gusto.

The term Purna Swaraj, coined by Gandhi, was a resolution taken by the Indian National Congress at its Lahore session on December 31, 1929. Gandhi had written out a full-fledged oath on January 26, 1930 that was to be taken by Indians to strive for full freedom from the British who had deprived the people of "political, cultural, economic and spiritual freedom."

So, despite the fact that India finally won its political freedom from the British Empire on August 15, 1947, to most people across the country it was as good as "Independence Day". Historians, political scientists and writers say that for at least a decade after 1947, people went around with flags, wished each other, said Jai Hind, and attended political meetings and rallies on January 26.

In fact, the primary reason behind the Constitution being adopted on January 26, 1950, was to commemorate the day when Purna Swaraj was declared..

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...t-by-Partition-pangs/articleshow/18190895.cms

Last edited:

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Agree with the presidential system but not sure if we can have just a two party system considering the diversity in the country. But yes in the long run, there will be a consolidation with all smaller and regional parties joining national parties.

I have been a proponent of the US system for India with Indian touches to it for a long long time.
THe emergence of regional parties and coalition politics is one of the biggest threats to India.Regional parties lead to lack of cohesiveness and coherence in government. It leads to ineffective governance and unnecessary politics. Two party system is much more preferable IMO

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag

Just watched the Inside Job last night, so not to much in favour of an executive system where a single person will have enough power to destroy everything. Just think what a MMS or Mulayam or Mayavati would do as a president to this nation?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
THe emergence of regional parties and coalition politics is one of the biggest threats to India.Regional parties lead to lack of cohesiveness and coherence in government. It leads to ineffective governance and unnecessary politics. Two party system is much more preferable IMO
Agree 100%. But the thing is, at the national level these regional parties will anyway have no say as big major parties will vie for the presidents post. In the long run, all smaller parties will join one party or the other at the national level. We may have 3-4 national parties and have run off elections. We may not be able to enforce the US system in toto although it's the best system for India IMO. But we can evolve one for India.

If the current system goes for the next 20 years, we are going to be in deep shit.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Just watched the Inside Job last night, so not to much in favour of an executive system where a single person will have enough power to destroy everything. Just think what a MMS or Mulayam or Mayavati would do as a president to this nation?
You should read about the US system where no one power center can get all powerful. There are checks and balances. MMS or Mulayam and Mayawati kinds will fall by the way side as the system will call upon he leaders to talk on progress and development. Come up with policy works they have in mind and have debates on with their rival on policy issues concerning day to day lives of comman man. People like Mayawati and Mullahyam who work on divisive politics will never get anywhere close to power. They can be lawmakers but never the chief executive.

But BTW, the way te current system is Mayawati or Mullahyam can become the PM and given her autocratic ways can definitely screw the nation.

The checks and balances in the US system means no one part of the govt gets all powerful. The police will become independent of the executive and the politicians will not be able to use it like their rakhel.

Shirman

Country flag
A very happy n prosperous Republic Day to everybody here on DFI...

Lets hope our Indian Society remembers the Scarifies our great soldiers gave during all Wars n Proxy Wars since 1947.......

And with the leadership change the military n security be given utmost importance in the society n mindset of people.....We only remember them when something disastrous happens or during the serious crisis takes place.....Hopefully that will change as our neighbor now thinks of another Infiltration n militancy era like the one it did since 1988-03......

Global Defence

New threads

Articles