A new year for DRDO

The Fox

Saurav Jha's Blog : A new year for DRDO

Two Good News in this is the New Multi-caliber Rifle we know how it looks like and the Rostom 2

Right folks, it is the beginning of the year (well, we are still in the first quarter at least) and 'Geek at Large' has decided to take a look at what we can expect from the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) in the coming period. In the first quarter of this year itself we are likely to see the first ever test of the Agni-V Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) from a canister and may also see the official unveiling of the K-4 submarine launched ballistic missile (SLBM). The Nirbhay Ground Launched Cruise Missile (GLCM) is also set be tested for a second time soon. However, this post will focus on other programs that are just as significant for national security as the above.

India's internal security environment has got better in recent times. Nevertheless, beyond improvements in tactics and training there is a need to leverage new technology to completely defang asymmetric warfare strategies being used by insurgents on Indian soil. It is here that DRDO's 'Divya Chaksu' program becomes significant given that under its aegis, sensors especially useful for providing situational awareness in low intensity warfare environments are being developed. Most significant among these are indigenous versions of foliage penetrating Radar (FOPEN), ground penetrating radar (GPR) and through wall detection radar (TWDR).

FOPEN mounted on unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) or even ground based platforms obviously makes a lot of sense given that Indian forces often have to undertake counter-insurgency operations in wooded areas. A rugged militarized GPR will prove rather significant in detecting tunnels and the counter-IED fight. TWDRs are naturally quite useful in built-up areas to locate targets hiding behind concrete structures. These systems are of course already available from companies abroad but cost and security considerations ordain that indigenous development and production be pursued.

The electronic warfare realm will be further bolstered in 2014 when India's first dedicated electronic intelligence satellite, CCI-SAT will be lofted into space by a PSLV. CCI-SAT could well augment the joint Signal Intelligence Directorate - DRDO program 'Divya Dhrishti' which is an extensive electronic support measures (ESM) network consisting of some 12 ground stations connected via satellite along India's borders and has the capability to detect otherwise difficult to detect aircraft. Of course CCI-SAT is more oriented towards picking up signals from enemy communication networks. Incidentally, developments in the field of multi-static radars are on the anvil as well.

2014 may also see forward movement in the area of directed energy weapons with Indian efforts in the arena of solid state lasers being unveiled. Much work has already been done in the field of gas dynamic laser(GDL) and chemical oxygen iodine lasers (COIL). For instance enclosed below(see Fig I) is the 'solid model' of a 25 kilowatt (KW) vehicle mounted GDL developed by DRDO's Laser Science and Technology Centre (LASTEC) that has been successfully tested against airborne in the past. The auto laser pointing system used on this 'transportable' GDL originally belongs to a 100 KW GDL. Solid state systems with 20 per cent laser efficiency have also been developed.

Perhaps a future LASTEC developed free electron laser (which are also being researched) could be miniaturized enough to fit the Rustom-2 UAV (see fig 2 below) which will soon take to the skies for the first time. A future post at 'Geek at large' will detail some of the engine options for this UAV which has been designed to fly at 30,000 feet with an endurance of up to 35 hours putting it in the medium altitude long endurance (MALE) category.

More 'earthbound' developments likely to gain momentum this year include the Arjun Mk-2 MBT (see Fig 3 below) which has already featured in this year's Republic Day parade and which needs to be ordered by the Indian Army in the high hundreds for India's overall tank programme to justify the production of homegrown (with some foreign help) 1500 HP and 1800 HP class gas turbine engines.

Looking to fulfil its brief of also directly augmenting the most basic unit of warfare, i.e the soldier itself, DRDO is set to unveil the multi-caliber individual weapon system (MCIWS) being develped by the Armaments Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune, (see Fig 4 and 5 below)

which will allow operators to alternatively fire 7.62mm, 5.56mm and 6.8 mm rounds by changing the barrel group, breech block & magazine. Provision has also been made to mount an indigenous 40 mm Under Barrel grenade Launcher (UBGL) (pictured above) capable of firing programmable air-burst rounds. CCD camera day sight and thermal imaging night sight can also be mounted on its picatinny rail system to engage targets in day & night conditions. The weapon body is machined with Aluminium alloy and a metal insert based 30 Round engineering plastic magazine and adjustable butt are also featured. Ambidextrous features for cocking, lever change and magazine change have also been incorporated.

DRDO believes that MCIWS is a contemporary assault rifle and will help put an end to a recurring critique focused on the vintage of the existing INSAS family.

Last edited:

The Fox

Regarding the use of LASER to neutralize the airborne target I think we have long way to go to atleast mount it on a 747 class aircraft and use it for anti missile defense. Having said that we are on the rite track good going DRDO well done
Laser weapons are cool part that is where future lies.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Regarding the use of LASER to neutralize the airborne target I think we have long way to go to atleast mount it on a 747 class aircraft and use it for anti missile defense. Having said that we are on the rite track good going DRDO well done
yeah i am tracking their development for long time.
we need to invest in making our planes and engine too.

The Fox

I Don't understand why the Indian Govt is not including the private sector in the high tech defense research due to which there is no R&D culture in India If you look at the world how it works its always the govt supported the private sector lets say Internet for ex who invented it the US DARPA and how about GPS the US DARPA are some examples and if you see their number of employees and budget its less than DRDO

yeah i am tracking their development for long time.
we need to invest in making our planes and engine too.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I Don't understand why the Indian Govt is not including the private sector in the high tech defense research due to which there is no R&D culture in India If you look at the world how it works its always the govt supported the private sector lets say Internet for ex who invented it the US DARPA and how about GPS the US DARPA are some examples and if you see their number of employees and budget its less than DRDO
Pls name company which had done something worthwhile in defence. You can count then on fingurs. L&T and few others.

therefore private companies in India are not what they are in US.

The Fox

That's exactly what I am insisting they are not doing it so as the Govt you have to nurser these companies and support them and don't start with huge projects start with small projects and give the subsystems and quality spares where you can source them from within the country than pay 10 times more and import from foreign countries. I said there is no R&D culture Within the country already in my previous post so nurture the small companies and encourage them so that you don't have to depend on the foreign countries when it matters the most

Pls name company which had done something worthwhile in defence. You can count then on fingurs. L&T and few others.

therefore private companies in India are not what they are in US.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
That's exactly what I am insisting they are not doing it so as the Govt you have to nurser these companies and support them and don't start with huge projects start with small projects and give the subsystems and quality spares where you can source them from within the country than pay 10 times more and import from foreign countries. I said there is no R&D culture Within the country already in my previous post so nurture the small companies and encourage them so that you don't have to depend on the foreign countries when it matters the most
They have kept small guys out of defence. Your capital should be 200 crores, only then youcan apply for licence.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles