684 staff members have died in the last 15 years at ISRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugwater

India [ Images ]n Space and Research Organisation, the principle space research agency of India, does not want to reveal the details about its employees' deaths.

When Mumbai-based Right To Information activist Chetan Kothari tried to find out how many of ISRO's employees had died in the last 15 years at the agency and its associate units, he was provided with a bureaucratic jargon.

Although the agency replied that 684 persons had died in the last 15 years at ISRO and its associate units, it had withheld the cause of their deaths.

"All we know is that at ISRO people have been dying at the rate of 45.6 per year and it does not want to tell the public how have they perished," questioned Kothari.

The figure of deaths at ISRO, excluding its headquarters, in the last 15 years is 387, while at its associate units of ISRO Telemetry, Tracking And Command Centre, Space Applications Centre and Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre and ISRO HQ the figure of dead employees was 297.

"In my appeal, I had emphasised that the identity of the deceased may be withheld to protect the privacy of the families. Giving statistical information on the cause of deaths should not be a problem," said Kothari.

Last year, Kothari had obtained similar information from nuclear establishments and related organizations in which all of the government bodies had provided the cause of death. The revelation then had been startling, as it showed that 197 employees had committed suicide across all the nuclear establishments and related institutes in the last 15 years, while 1733 had died of various illness.

"I was informed by the ISRO that the information related to cause of death is not mentioned in the death certificate that is produced by the family members of the deceased to the ISRO. Majority of the government agencies know the cause of their employee's death, but the ISRO claims that it has no idea how its employees died. This is either sheer callousness on the part of the ISRO or attempt to hide facts from the public," said Kothari.

To his query seeking information about satellite launches, the ISRO provided the list of 29 successful launches done at the cost of Rs 14,160 crore.

"The information provided only pertains to the successful launch of satellites. There is no mention of failed attempts," said Kothari.

His efforts to attend the hearing of the first appeal made before the joint secretary at Anatarishk Bhavan at New Delhi [ Images ] was stone-walled despite several reminders. Kothari has now submitted an appeal before the Central Information Commission.

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/isro-mum-on-how-684-of-its-staff-died/20110113.htm

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Goodness! WTF?? Why is ISRO hiding this? 1,733 people died out of illness!! Something's fishy here that ISRO doesn't want to reveal.

SHASH2K2

what the hell . one must find out reason behind this .

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
ISRO has ~10k employees. Average death rate per year in India is 7.5/1k/year (if i am not wrong). If we reduce it to 5 or 6 for ISRO then 5/1k/year will be 50 employee/10k/year.
15 years x 50=750

The News is creating unnecessary sensationalism and is in a bad taste, i reckon Mr. RTI seeks some attention for his clever endeavors.

Given the fact its a high demanding job and with more occupational hazards and pressures the numbers are not surprising. Also to be noted that pool of employee are joining in with max age requirement of 35 years, highly educated thus more aged.

Adding: I would like to know such stats about railways and other govt. Institutes.

Last edited:

neo29

Thats an average of 40 people per year. It seems it has been kept under wraps all these years. This is bad negligence of employees safety at ISRO.

hit&run

Mod
Thats an average of 40 people per year. It seems it has been kept under wraps all these years. This is bad negligence of employees safety at ISRO.
Please read my post mate, we are over reacting.
Regards.

natarajan

Have read in news paper some fishy accidents and the driver alone escapes,not all died naturally:twitch:

plugwater

HR, IMO we shouldn't compare India's death rate with ISRO staffs. 40% of Indian population comes under poverty line so the death rate will be high.

hit&run

Mod
HR, IMO we shouldn't compare India's death rate with ISRO staffs. 40% of Indian population comes under poverty line so the death rate will be high.
Fair enough.

2.5/1k/y makes it 15x25= 375 its 25/year and still very high for sake of overreacting.

Also you can not deny that the job they are into has more occupational hazards then other jobs. Specially when you are experimenting with newer technologies.
ISRO is a high end jobs and it sucks your intellect big time. The number of suicides are also adding significantly to these stats.

One more thing i would like to tell you that ISRO, DRDO, Atomic et al are under strict surveillance organizations. One on my relative just retired from a main spy agency told me that their are 1000s involved in very secretive and sophisticated jobs. When they are assigned to such jobs where sometimes different protocols (specifically of a foreign nation) are followed, simply make it as a social suicide for them. A nation like India who has achieved so much after starting form the scratch, still continuing with R&D and highly optimistic tasks has to pay such cost without asking question. ''Starting from the scratch'' is a key word here, as our technological expertise is maturing so our occupational health and safety measures are advancing. I am not sure if the death toll average has gone down by years or has Increased (Please tell us if you have the info).

People working their are though not an ordinary people; more Patriotic, focused and determined but still they suffer many universal things we humans are bound to.

Regards

Last edited:

Oracle

This needs to be properly investigated. Any sort of radiation which killed so many people? 684 is by no means a small number. There are villages in India comprising of 50 people or less.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^ Yeah this is what makes it suspicious. So many deaths especially due to illnesses that too under 1 single organization is too much to swallow. There is definitely something wrong that ISRO either hasn't discovered or is hiding it from Law.

hit&run

Mod
Families of scientists are supposed to be pretty switched on. If death of their loved ones are suspicious then they themselves could have come out raising doubt on it. Even if agencies are able to convince their families not to come out because people died due to some inevitable/unavoidable reasons then those lives are lost in the line of duty; like a soldier, no body should complaint about it.

prahladh

Respected Member
How reliable is rediff? and I couldn't find anyone reporting this.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Families of scientists are supposed to be pretty switched on. If death of their loved ones are suspicious then they themselves could have come out raising doubt on it. Even if agencies are able to convince their families not to come out because people died due to some inevitable/unavoidable reasons then those lives are lost in the line of duty; like a soldier, no body should complaint about it.
I agree with your statement buddy but think about it; despite so much surveillance and stuff there have been blunders in the past. And scientists are not dying in a combat; they are very valuable assets with their knowledge and work as well as technical know-how. This makes then occupy a very very elite circle of strategic structure. Remember when BARC 2 years back said that all the facilities were secure and nothing could come out, radioactive stuff was found in some Delhi market causing panic. How do you think did radioactive waste reach a scrap market so far away in Delhi? Then of course, Headley was caught who had taken outlines and stuff of our nuclear facilities.

So even elite agencies can make dangerous mistakes and we shouldn't rule them out of not having made mistakes.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
It would be better for everyone that we reduce our greed & needs for stability in the long run.

Everyone is now aware of the quantum effects, so any ripple in the cosmos is destined to trouble others, and they would try to bring peace at whatever cost.

If you still have the courage & finances, go ahead & keep doing it...... But don't ever publicly regret it.

You may ask why, the answer is VERY SIMPLE.... of the over 100Crore+ Indians, we loose about 75,000 Indians everyday to natural causes including ageing & disease. And now you can expect us to mourn for some BRIGHT Scientists as well, Please do expect our condolences for your losses. God Bless....!!

But this answer brings us face-to-face with the reality.... that we all are perishable.....

And how many years is it going to take you to confirm, that I am able to project my consciousness in images from your weather satellites..... Check out my collection on Facebook.....
and they would try to bring peace at whatever cost.
who is 'they'? other cosmic races and entities?

Believe it or not, you are in conflict with others, some small & huge, unnecessary exploration in space & even nuclear sciences, it ain’t worth it.
@Mikesingh - what say?! :eyebrows:

mendosa

who is 'they'? other cosmic races and entities?

@Mikesingh - what say?! :eyebrows:
This guy is smoking some good shit.

Highly trained scientists working on cutting edge research which would give us an edge in defense, economy and improve the lives of millions of Indians are not the same as 75,000 random people who die of dog bites and diabetes.

ISRO makes sure the everything they invest in has a public angle to it, be it dish TV or navigation satellites or other rocket tech which has given us self sustenance in defense and saved forex losses.

Only a cynical psychopath, (or a commie) will take pleasure in diminishing the contribution of these scientists by comparing them with random dead people.

The ISRO is on the verge to invest in lunar dust, which harnesses helium from the moon and uses it to produce electricity. This will make us self sufficient in power and help us leapfrog into the future and rub shoulders with renewable energy giants.

We will continue on the path we have chosen, there will be attrition, we will absorb it when we can, and give it back to them when we want, but we will not deviate. The bullshit being spewed here is of the same quality as "why does India need nuclear weapons when there are so many poor and hungry"

@OneGrimPilgrim don't feed the trolls.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
This guy is smoking some good shit.

Highly trained scientists working on cutting edge research which would give us an edge in defense, economy and improve the lives of millions of Indians are not the same as 75,000 random people who die of dog bites and diabetes.

ISRO makes sure the everything they invest in has a public angle to it, be it dish TV or navigation satellites or other rocket tech which has given us self sustenance in defense and saved forex losses.

Only a cynical psychopath, (or a commie) will take pleasure in diminishing the contribution of these scientists by comparing them with random dead people.

The ISRO is on the verge to invest in lunar dust, which harnesses helium from the moon and uses it to produce electricity. This will make us self sufficient in power and help us leapfrog into the future and rub shoulders with renewable energy giants.

We will continue on the path we have chosen, there will be attrition, we will absorb it when we can, and give it back to them when we want, but we will not deviate. The bullshit being spewed here is of the same quality as "why does India need nuclear weapons when there are so many poor and hungry"

@OneGrimPilgrim don't feed the trolls.
and, development of the indigenous Li-ion batteries for electric vehicles by ISRO. another milestone towards a 'stable' future, as espoused by the OP.

BTW i didnt fully understand what he wanted to convey in the latter lines. why trolls dont have FoE! :crying:

mendosa

and, development of the indigenous Li-ion batteries for electric vehicles by ISRO. another milestone towards a 'stable' future, as espoused by the OP.

BTW i didnt fully understand what he wanted to convey in the latter lines. why trolls dont have FoE! :crying:
As per current government policy you can only feed those trolls who have registered their ration cards under the MNREGA scheme. Everyone else has to buy their own food from the shopping malls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles