5th-generation fighter plan hits hurdle as Russia hikes cost

p2prada

It surely does not, not with the current technology. But 10 yrs down the line, who knows what advantage it could provide?
Hmm? It is just an EO system around the aircraft.

Sukhoi had it in front of their aircraft for over 30 years now. Mig-35 has two sensors for forward and rear hemispheres doing the same thing.

It has not drastically changed over the years. F-35 does the same as above, only uses 6 sensors instead of 1 or 2 and the image is displayed on the helmet instead of a MFD.

Though this does provide the F-35 with unprecedented Situational Awareness. It could even function as a full fledged AWACS, for one.
Only FGFA is being designed with AWACS role in mind with 360 degree radar. PAKFA will also come with 360 degree EO+IRST. F-35s EO-DAS will be range restricted to 20 maybe 30 Km.

The relatively high false alarm associated with Thermal sensors need to be sorted though.
This cannot really be helped. You need a balance between high sensitivity and operational needs.

lookieloo

even total development budget of F35/JSF has crossed $1.0 trillion to date, we hope Indo-Russian 5th gen PAK FA also won't face the same result at the end
To date? Might want to check that again boss. That figure is a hazy projection of development, procurement of over 2000 airframes, upgrades, AND maintenance... over the course of 50 years. Name one single weapon system for which anyone has attempted such a wild guess.

So no, the PAK-FA does not face that situation as your news service describes it because the F-35 doesn't face it either.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
It is the lack of indigenous design and development RUSSIA is playing games with us by hiking the price during the half way in all the buying we are doing........

Country flag
I knew it was only a matter of time before Russian blackmail started. I predicted this
Long back and many members could not believe it. I am not surprised at all russians
Have a history of doing this on every joint venture eg never delivered Brahmos engine,
Defective KLUBS, no brahmos launch tube on kilos and the list goes on. No suprise
At all just the way russians do business look at all the games.T-90 killed arjun program
And we got even by ordering more tanks.

Reactions: sob

lookieloo

Looks like the Russians still haven't figured out how post-cold-war arms-dealing works. India isn't some Warsaw-Pact satellite; and one cannot simply make problems vanish by contradicting the defense-ministry of a sovereign nation. They can dissemble or attempt explanation, but outright denial in the face of stalled negotiations is an outdated response. I find it telling that your source is actually in Russian, indicating that it was meant for domestic consumption in the hope of squelching bad-news on the program from abroad.

The Last Stand

Country flag
@lookieloo,

ToI isn't really the best military source.

That said, Russland sources in Russian aren't anywhere near ToI anyway :rofl:

We'd better wait before coming to conclusion.

P.S. Are you a TF2 fan? If so, send me PM with your username so that I can add you as a friend on Steam

Last edited by a moderator:
Country flag
India kept the Russian shipbuilding industry alive with gorshokov deal and now they are
Doing the same for their warplanes industry, 300 million per plane for untested technology
Is being very generous six Sukhois could be bought for price of one fgfa?

shiphone

Country flag
Looks like the Russians still haven't figured out how post-cold-war arms-dealing works. India isn't some Warsaw-Pact satellite; and one cannot simply make problems vanish by contradicting the defense-ministry of a sovereign nation. They can dissemble or attempt explanation, but outright denial in the face of stalled negotiations is an outdated response. I find it telling that your source is actually in Russian, indicating that it was meant for domestic consumption in the hope of squelching bad-news on the program from abroad.
actually we read it in the Chinese version of the same website first and I tried to find the same news of Russian version...

the news on 20:13| 2013-07-15

俄新网_俄国新闻_军事公安_消息人士:俄印联合开发第五代战机谈判进展顺利

lookieloo

Information controlled by the state either in either case. BTW, what do you mean by "we read." I'm a bit curious as to why you're allowed access to this sight, seeing as the attitude/material here isn't often favorable to Chinese interests. You wouldn't happen to be one of the trusted few that the PRC allows outside the Great Firewall, would you?

shiphone

Country flag
LOL...some brain washed member by westen media has no idea about world? is it?...and blindly turn every topic into a attact to some other nations...quite naive and childish...

information control? wow, I'm afraid ' Prism plan' might be the most hot topic nowadays, wake up, young kid, no saint in this world....

actualy who is the most powerful 'Information controller' of this world? and who owns the Discourse Power in this world?
------ the answer is: the western country and their media.... or more precisely, the English-Speaking country and their CNN, BBC ,Times....

---------------------
"we" means I'm not a the only one and first one read the news on the internet...I read other's post about this news with a link on some Chinese military forum ,...after carefully recheck the source ,and some short and simple discussion with others, I repost the news here in this related topic thread...

compare with your strange and childish behaviour, I thought I did some contribution and stick to the topic....but you....

lookieloo

^^^Google-Translate hard at work everyone.^^^ :pound:

Last edited by a moderator:

LalTopi

I think India is supposed to pay for all the extra glitzy stuff that IAF is demanding, like the 360 degree radar, new weapons etc.
hmm. lets wait and see. really I am not surprised by a price hike. judging by the F35 program we should expect several more. I just hope that India has structured the deal so that both parties share price hikes on a fair basis. If its joint technology then both parties should share equally. if its India specific technology then probably India should expect to pay extra. In a joint venture there is a lot of game theory involved, both parties are keen/disparate to have the deal but on the other hand if either party can see an easy buck/saving to be made, then they will go for it. I just hope that both parties have structured the deal so that both benefit - there is a longer term relationship to be had, and it is to the detriment of both parties if there is a tempting quick one over for either party. Hopefully, our negotiators brushed up on game theory and all the technicalities and permutations.

p2prada

hmm. lets wait and see. really I am not surprised by a price hike. judging by the F35 program we should expect several more. I just hope that India has structured the deal so that both parties share price hikes on a fair basis. If its joint technology then both parties should share equally. if its India specific technology then probably India should expect to pay extra. In a joint venture there is a lot of game theory involved, both parties are keen/disparate to have the deal but on the other hand if either party can see an easy buck/saving to be made, then they will go for it. I just hope that both parties have structured the deal so that both benefit - there is a longer term relationship to be had, and it is to the detriment of both parties if there is a tempting quick one over for either party. Hopefully, our negotiators brushed up on game theory and all the technicalities and permutations.
Not at all. IAF's specifications have far surpassed the requirements of the VVS. Sukhoi clearly mentioned that the specs PAKFA has been built to is according to VVS specs and that's all they have asked for.

It is natural that the cost of FGFA is set to increase based on the increased specs that IAF is asking for. The only thing we know for sure is the 360 degree radar. How many fighters can boast that?

It would be nice if the Russians end up delivering the aircraft at a lower cost than Rafale while being many times more capable as is hoped.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles