50% of Chinese men have sexually assaulted their partners

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

50% of Chinese men have sexually assaulted their partners

Shanghaiist recently released a story highlighting the findings of a report that found that around 50 percent of Chinese men admit to sexually assaulting* their partners. Our story was met with a lot of hostility and skepticism by several commenters who alleged that we were spreading "more propaganda against Asian males" (never mind that the survey was carried out by Chinese researchers) and that the findings were "a hatchet job at best".

Personally, we think such a reaction is uninformed at best and sexist ignorance at worst.Around the world, rape and sexual assault are a reality that women face on a daily basis. In the United States, one in five women are sexually assaulted, according to the New York Times. Globally, the trend is even more marked. A WHO multi-country study found that between 15-71 percent of women aged 15-49 years reported physical and/or sexual violence by an intimate partner at some point in their lives.

This is some serious shit.

In this global context, the figures on China are alarming but (depressingly) consistent with established trends of endemic sexual violence. We're not trying to say that you shouldn't be skeptical of statistics you see. Skepticism is good, and this case maybe even merited. Some of the findings our original piece was based on were presented at a UN panel and contained interviews with over 2,000 men, but full paper is not available online. Nonetheless, the findings, which correlate with previous studies by Chinese and international researchers, deserve actual investigation and questioning instead of derisive dismissal from the all-male cast of disbelieving commenters who weighed in on our previous article.

Finally, much of the pushback against the original post seemed to be based on a misconception of what the reality of rape is. While rape is a violent crime for sure, it differs from say mugging in that people are very rarely mugged by their friends or lovers. According to RAINN, an American non-profit, 73 percent of sexual assaults in the US are carried out by someone known to the victim, 28 percent of rapes are by an intimate partner. China currently has no laws against marital rape, and inter-relationship sexual assault is likely a major contributor to the findings we highlighted.

In publishing our original post, and this follow up, we are not seeking to demonise Chinese men. Rape and domestic violence are prevalent in almost all countries, where China differs however is in its lack of protection for victims and punishment for perpetrators. Even India, the site of several recent horrific gang rapes has stronger domestic violence legislation than China (though it still has a long, long way to go). Domestic violence is a serious issue in China, but one that the government has long dragged its heals on and shown little inclination to deal with.*The terminology in the survey was 'forcing a partner into sex', which is clearly sexual assault in our book and anyone who thinks otherwise is being wilfully obtuse.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
I do not see the point of thisarticle.Lets first check the tar painted under our own arse first
The point is news from China where news like these are suppressed.

Overall this isn't a news related to any specific country.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
50% of Chinese men admitted to it. Means they all do it. :-D

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
What is the criterion for sexual assault being discussed here ?

nimo_cn

Country flag
What is the criterion for sexual assault being discussed here ?
Penetration into the partner's body could be counted as an act of assault, but it happens in most sexual intercourses.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

bose

Country flag
I thought in China there is no such thing called sexual harassments... Chinese men are all goody goody"¦

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
I thought in China there is no such thing called sexual harassments... Chinese men are all goody goody"¦
It was a well kept secret but nowdays cat is coming out of the bag often.

bose

Country flag
It was a well kept secret but nowdays cat is coming out of the bag often.
The situation is worse than that we have in India... In India at least it is getting reported and publicized while in China they are kept under wraps...

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
This is nothing to do with Sexual Harassment in a public place , but to do with Domestic violence and marital rape.

Chinese men, have a reputation of not being the best husbands.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
The situation is worse than that we have in India... In India at least it is getting reported and publicized while in China they are kept under wraps...
EXACTLY!

Thats the point of the thread but guess what Chinese members are pissed off and posting similar new threads thinking it would be countered. :dude:

t_co

EXACTLY!

Thats the point of the thread but guess what Chinese members are pissed off and posting similar new threads thinking it would be countered. :dude:
lol, this site is hilarious
@amoy posts news about an Indian raping a Chinese student in Hong Kong, and the fragile egos of some DFIers immediately have to go and find a month-old report on how Chinese men commit sexual assaults.

It happened in the British tourist case in Agra too - DFIers immediately started digging up crap on the UK. When the Delhi bus rape case happened, we had gang rape cases from the US from 2011 being posted by DFIers, as if somehow the fact that men everywhere commit these crimes, that somehow makes the actions of an Indian man (or men) in this case less deplorable.

Here's a hint: no matter who is raping, the crime, the act is deplorable - and by extension, the perpetrator is deplorable. Doesn't make a whole class of people wrong, and I don't think amoy or anyone believes that.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as rational as the Chinese members on this forum are. I know of more than a few students who are switching their study abroad from Pune and Delhi to Beijing and Bangkok.

But of course, posting up bad news about Chinese, UK, and American men on DFI will solve that problem - so soldier on, my fellow DFI forum-warriors!

Last edited by a moderator:

bose

Country flag
lol, this site is hilarious
@amoy posts news about an Indian raping a Chinese student in Hong Kong, and the fragile egos of some DFIers immediately have to go and find a month-old report on how Chinese men commit sexual assaults.

It happened in the British tourist case in Agra too - DFIers immediately started digging up crap on the UK. When the Delhi bus rape case happened, we had gang rape cases from the US from 2011 being posted by DFIers, as if somehow the fact that men everywhere commit these crimes, that somehow makes the actions of an Indian man (or men) in this case less deplorable.

Here's a hint: no matter who is raping, the crime, the act is deplorable - and by extension, the perpetrator is deplorable. Doesn't make a whole class of people wrong, and I don't think amoy or anyone believes that.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as rational as the Chinese members on this forum are. I know of more than a few students who are switching their study abroad from Pune and Delhi to Beijing and Bangkok.

But of course, posting up bad news about Chinese, UK, and American men on DFI will solve that problem - so soldier on, my fellow DFI forum-warriors!
Genius , you are acting smart here !! The provocation came from your side when one of the Chinese tried to convey the hazards of allowing people of certain race... The forum is very tolerant to such racist comments...

It is that comments from the Chinese that ruined the thread and set up for retaliation...

Last edited by a moderator:

nimo_cn

Country flag
Genius , you are acting smart here !! The provocation came from your side when one of the Chinese tried to convey the hazards of allowing people of certain race... The forum is very tolerant to such racist comments...

It is that comments from the Chinese that ruined the thread and set up for retaliation...
Raping rate is high in India, that is a simple fact. In this regard, amoy raised a reasonable concern.

If your ego was hurt, blame your rapist

bose

Country flag
Raping rate is high in India, that is a simple fact. In this regard, amoy raised a reasonable concern.
he was trolling, as simple as that...

Go back to that thread and read my first post there...

Everyone had condemned the person responsible for such heinous act...

Over enthusiasm of Chinese posters on scoring points ruined the thread...

J20!

Country flag

Grow up...

Provocation? If you're going to explode at one comment by one member (who mind you is entitled to his opinion) and completely ignore the actual subject matter behind the thread, its no one's fault but you own.

An Indian man raped a young woman in hostel in Hong Kong. Any rational person knows its just that, an act of rape by a criminal. Throwing fits about nationality wont change the fact that that young college student was raped.

bose

Country flag
Grow up...

Provocation? If you're going to explode at one comment by one member (who mind you is entitled to his opinion) and completely ignore the actual subject matter behind the thread, its no one's fault but you own.

An Indian man raped a young woman in hostel in Hong Kong. Any rational person knows its just that, an act of rape by a criminal. Throwing fits about nationality wont change the fact that that young college student was raped.
As I had suggested in my last post, go back to that thread and read it carefully... Read my comments there without bias"¦ I know it is too much for asking"¦

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It is true Chinese men are more violent to their partners. My Chinese partner at the time would tell me she appreciated feeling safe with me. I assume that is why she would curse me out in public knowing I would never hit her. But then I am not surprised considering how much Chinese women like to denigrate their men, there is only so much one can take. The only reason I stayed with her was she was a perfect bed mate that cooked and cleaned. She would do anything I asked when the door was shut. Amazing how their attitude changes when you two are alone.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Rape statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check that report from UN. Rape per 100k people(2010) for India is 1.8, Hong Kong SAR is 1.6, the US is 27.3, PR China no statistics available.

Grow up...

Just curious, has it been confirmed that it is an Indian citizen ? Coz' here it says it is a South Asian man, reported to be Indian.
Anyway regardless of citizenship, the man should be punished as per the law if found guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles