38 things you MUST know about Malaysia!

Is Malaysian government Racist?

• Total voters

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
"Liking" a post attacking China is not defending Malaysia. For that matter, having a Malaysian flag on DFI does not mean being Malaysian.
The coward @asianobserve still can't defend Malaysia because he is not Malaysian, using its flag for convenience, and he is too busy defending Obama. Although Obama needs all the help he can get right now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
How can I defend something that I am not supportive of? But people must understand that the Bumiputera Policy in the NEP arose out of the chaotic discontent in 1969. It was the solution that Razak came up with to address the most pressing social and economic issue of the generation, the economic and educational disadvantaged position of the majority. I must say that without it there would be no modern, peaceful and progressive Malaysia that we know it to be now. But why I'm not supportive of it? Because the Bumiputera, which I'm partly a part of, are already relatively secure and have no reason to be discontented of the current socio-political and economic situation in our country. A continuation of this POlicy risks creating unbridgeable rifts between majority and minorities in our country. This one is not good for all of us.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
even wikipedia ( not an expert encyclops) has got the origin of the bumiputera concept wrong
it was not the invenrtion of the tunku abd Rahman ( as wikki has stated ) but rather the Tun Abd Razak ....as indeed asianobserve has stated ( ref second quote below ) below and thus seems more of a Malaysian than the author of the wiki article !

Bumiputera (Malaysia) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Definition

The concept of a bumiputra ethnic group in Malaysia was coined by Tunku Abdul Rahman. It recognized the "special position" of the Malays provided in the Federal Constitution of Malaysia, in particular Article 153. But, the constitution does not use the term "bumiputra"; it defines only "Malay" and "indigenous peoples" (Article 160(2)),[2] "natives" of Sarawak (161A(6)(a)),[3] and "natives" of Sabah (Article 161A(6)(b)).[3] Definitions of bumiputra in public use vary among different

secondly this wiki article is also wrong in that "bumiputera" is not an ethnic group - the article contradicts itself if you read further in it , where itself states that chines peranakn and certain others do qualify as bumi - thus it is not ethnic by definition

How can I defend something that I am not supportive of? But people must understand that the Bumiputera Policy in the NEP arose out of the chaotic discontent in 1969. It was the solution that Razak came up with to address the most pressing social and economic issue of the generation, the economic and educational disadvantaged position of the majority. I must say that without it there would be no modern, peaceful and progressive Malaysia that we know it to be now. But why I'm not supportive of it? Because the Bumiputera, which I'm partly a part of, are already relatively secure and have no reason to be discontented of the current socio-political and economic situation in our country. A continuation of this POlicy risks creating unbridgeable rifts between majority and minorities in our country. This one is not good for all of us.
what the author of the lead article in this thread had unfortunately failed to mention is that in the 1969 general elections, " a certain " minority ( ahem !) attempted to wrest the majority control of the government away from the indigenous malays and went on a victory rampage celebration to scorn the indigenous when the results were announced in the city areas - the malays reacted in the village areas - much like today's xinjiang where one is a majority in the cities and another in the country-side

i think any community would have reacted to losing teh reins of their country and being insulted as well ? dont you think ? - try the same in , say australia ? so as a result someone took control and decided to address the economic imbalances which had been going on for far too long - as a result the NEP and the bumiputera concept .

btw please read dr mhathir's " a malay dilemma " for a fuller treatment on the facts of the case and not a somewhat biased gloss over as done by the lead article

The Malay Dilemma: Mahathir Mohamad: 9789812616500: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited:

Shirman

Country flag
i don't know were to put this but this was exactly shown in my trip via Qantas Airways Flight en route to Malaysia :rolleyes::shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:

apple

So then according to you the UK is not a democracy? How about Australia, Canada, New Zealand? :taunt:

Half of Europe still has "constitutional monarchs", but they are puppets, kinda like the President of India.
According to your own quote (from wiki) "All 70 senators sit for three-year terms; 26 are elected by the 13 state assemblies, and the remaining 44 are appointed by the King upon the Prime Minister's recommendation."

The majority of the upper house are appointed by the King. I'm not sure what's meant by the Prime Minister "recommendation", but a royal appointed Government doesn't sound very Democractic to me

However, the preferential treatment for Malys are justiefied by some Chinese local I have talk to in Sabah. They say closing the income gap can prevent deadly race Riot against chinese like the one in 1969.
But people must understand that the Bumiputera Policy in the NEP arose out of the chaotic discontent in 1969.
Were these Race riots purely racial? To what extant did the beginning of the 2nd. Malayan Emergency highten tensions between ethnic Malayas and Chinese? Was the Malaysian Communist Party even strongly associated, anymore, with Malaysian Chinese by 1969?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Race was the defining factor but the underlying motivation was economic. The Malays felt left out in the economic system at that time (the Chinese were lording it over). The 1st Malayan emergency brought out anti-ethnic Chinese sentiments among Malays. This is because most of the Communists were ethnic Chinese and were being supported by China. The Communist Party was always been dominated by ethnic Chinese until the end.

apple

Race was the defining factor but the underlying motivation was economic. The Malays felt left out in the economic system at that time (the Chinese were lording it over). The 1st Malayan emergency brought out anti-ethnic Chinese sentiments among Malays. This is because most of the Communists were ethnic Chinese and were being supported by China. The Communist Party was always been dominated by ethnic Chinese until the end.
I was familiar with the Malayan Emergency, and it's background history. But, till today, didn't know their was a "2nd Emergency" starting in 1968, around the time of those race riots. My, (five minutes on Wikipedia :-/ ) research on the 2nd. emergency tells me that half of the Communists in the 2nd. emergency were Thais. Were they Chinese Thais?

Was the 2nd. Emergency defeated with soldiers only from Malaysia?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
The Chinese will soon take over the racist, Islamic state of Malaysia. Malays better learn how to speak Mandarin.

amoy

The Chinese will soon take over the racist, Islamic state of Malaysia. Malays better learn how to speak Mandarin.
Hardly possible! Demography talks louder - arent both Chinese and Indian ratio on the decline while Muslims on the rise?

A prediction is Chinese will be down to 20% Indian 6% by 2020 then negligible.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Malaysians seem to be some of the last most sensible Islamic majority countries in the world alongside Indonesia and Turkey while even Kazakhstan has not been able to keep up the record.

As for Malays, there is a certain level of problem with their 'Bhumiputra' policy but it is there in much more subtle forms around the world which we don't tend to see or notice. What I find absolutely shocking and revolting is the treatment given to non-Muslims during ramzan when those schoolchildren were made to sit in toilets to eat just as not to entice Muslims. I mean, isn't fasting supposed to be a test of inner strength, sacrifice and will-power?

If it is imposed on those who don't want to fast, then what's the use and point of fasting in the first place?

However, Malaysia is still one of the three most reasonable Islamic nations compared to the rest. They're still approachable than many others.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles