3 killed, 100 injured in Bengal train accident

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
At least three persons were killed and more than 100 injured when six coaches and the engine of the Guwahati-Bangalore Express jumped rails and were hit by a local train coming from the opposite direction on Sunday evening. The accident happened around 10 km from Malda station, about 270 km north of Kolkata.

It is feared the death toll will go up substantially because the first bogey of the Guwahati-Bangalore Express caught fire. Four coaches of the local train were also derailed.

Eastern Railway spokesperson Samir Goswami confirmed one person had died and 18 were injured.

"It's very difficult to ascertain the cause of the derailment. We are going to rescue the passengers first and then prepare a detailed report."

A senior railway official said: "The situation worsened as one of the two bogies of the Guwahati-Bangalore Express caught fire. Even a portion of the Azimganj-Marwa passenger train fell into the canal alongside the railway track."

A team of Eastern Railway officials has left for the accident spot in a relief train from Howrah. Another team from North-East Frontier Railway is also expected to reach in the wee hours of Monday.

This is the third major incident of derailment in July. On July 10, the Kalka Mail was derailed near Malwan station near Allahabad.

On the same day the Guwahati-Puri Express went off the rails in Assam following a blast on the railway tracks.

While more than 70 died in the Kalka Mail accident, more than 100 were injured in the second.

3 killed, 100 hurt in Bengal train mishap - Hindustan Times

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

I personally know Mr. Samir Goswami. Great person.

I would request all readers to not blame the Railways for these accidents. Instead, they should thank the Railways that the casualties are less. Given the state of affairs, more should have been killed.

Now:
  • Stop this populist nonsense of increasing trains on the already overwhelmed infrastructure.
  • Lay more tracks.
  • Increase the ticket prices of the passenger trains, for God sake.
  • Kick the morons who hitherto have been and currently are running the Railway Ministry from the political side.
  • Finally, we Indians very much deserve these accidents. If the Railway Minister increases the fares, we won't vote for them. Well, fine, then get killed. We should blame ourselves first.

Vyom

Seeker
I personally know Mr. Samir Goswami. Great person.

I would request all readers to not blame the Railways for these accidents. Instead, they should thank the Railways that the casualties are less. Given the state of affairs, more should have been killed.

Now:
  • Stop this populist nonsense of increasing trains on the already overwhelmed infrastructure.
  • Lay more tracks.
  • Increase the ticket prices of the passenger trains, for God sake.
  • Kick the morons who hitherto have been and currently are running the Railway Ministry from the political side.
  • Finally, we Indians very much deserve these accidents. If the Railway Minister increases the fares, we won't vote for them. Well, fine, then get killed. We should blame ourselves first.
You mean could, I am sure.

Your suggestions are all fine, except the last one, which seems inconsistent of the fact that the railways is already running in profit. I read somewhere that the profit this year rose by around 15%. So cash is just not the problem with the railways right now.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
First priority rescue of rail mishap victims: Trivedi

Railway minister Dinesh Trivedi on Sunday night said the first priority was rescue of the victims of the rail mishap involving Guwahati-Bangalore Express and Azimganj-Malda passenger train. "Our first priority is to rescue victims and our second priority is to restore normal traffic. We will also see that the stranded passengers are put up at a hotel, given food and made to feel comfortable," Trivedi told newsmen.

Stating that one body was recovered from the site, the railway minister said that it had no connection with the accident.

He said that Eastern Railway general manager Varun Bhartuhar and senior railway officials have left for the spot.

"It is to be seen that there is no derailment. I can assure you that such things will not be tolerated," Trivedi said.

Asked whether he would make a statement on the accident in Parliament which is beginning its monsoon session tomorrow, Trivedi said the inquiry report of the accident would be placed before the House.

"The members can ask questions, bring calling attention motions. I am prepared for the answers," he said.

In a reply to a media query, Trivedi said he had not yet received the enquiry report on the Kalka Mail accident in Uttar Pradesh.

West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee was also sending a relief team to the accident site, he said.

First priority rescue of rail mishap victims: Trivedi - Hindustan Times

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
why accidents are taking place on sundays................???

smartindian

Country flag

Your suggestions are all fine, except the last one, which seems inconsistent of the fact that the railways is already running in profit. I read somewhere that the profit this year rose by around 15%. So cash is just not the problem with the railways right now.
if railway is running in profit why they need to raise the money from public bond to complete present projects(10k crores) but the thing is railway can increase the passenger fares without effecting the so called ham hadmi , its better to pay 20% more than getting killed

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
WTF is going on?! Train accidents this year have become almost as frequent in our country as suicide bombings in Pakistan. :mad2:. What the HELL is Railways department doing?

pmaitra

No, the appropriate conjuctive of the modal verb is should, not could. This is because, given the way the Railways are being run, it is merely by sheer luck that more accidents are not happening. The fact that we are not having more accidents is a matter of unlikely chance.

If a bag has 5 balls, 4 red and one blue, if I pick a random ball, I should pick a red one (p(x=RED)=0.8) and not a blue one (p(x=BLUE)=0.2). If in 100 trials, for 50 trials I keep picking blue balls, then it is logic defying. That is what I meant by should.

P.S.: When Khrushchev visited India, they had a team of railway engineers. Even then they said that "Although we do not believe in God, the way Indian Railways are running is sheer miracle of God."

That revenue you see is because of reduced loading limits, excessive stress on tracks, less or outsourced maintenance of bridges and culverts, increased frequency of trains thereby reducing the opportunity for checks etc..

Those revenues do not at all imply that everything is hunky dory.

My guess: Most of the revenue is from freight traffic and the numbers you see are after deducting the subsidies for passenger traffic.

Last edited:

Vyom

Seeker
No, the appropriate conjuctive of the modal verb is should, not could. This is because, given the way the Railways are being run, it is merely by sheer luck that more accidents are not happening. The fact that we are not having more accidents is a matter of unlikely chance.
When you say should, it means you wish or intended that more people would have died. Could on the other hand reflects probability and not what you intended. Never-mind though.

That revenue you see is because of reduced loading limits, excessive stress on tracks, less or outsourced maintenance of bridges and culverts, increased frequency of trains thereby reducing the opportunity for checks etc..

Those revenues do not at all imply that everything is hunky dory.

My guess: Most of the revenue is from freight traffic and the numbers you see are after deducting the subsidies for passenger traffic.
I agree but it is a profit nonetheless, and could be used to uplift the same infrastructure by whose neglect these profits are generated. However, I have no qualms either with the increase in passenger fares, if it is a reasonable increase.

I think emphasis should be on laying new tracks. With the announcement of so many trains each year, it will certainly become extremely difficult to manage all that traffic with precision round the clock and around the year.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles