22413 Soldiers Martyred Since 1947

mikhail

Country flag
Signalling the government to take some tough stand on the Pakistani terror agenda, Army chief Geneal Bikram Singh today told a Pakistani journalist "you can't expect us to shake your hand when you send across terror from border." Speaking on the army's role at a conclave in the capital after Srinagar attack, Gen Singh said India and Pakistan must first address trust deficit. "You can't export terrorism to India and expect to talk Siachen." Gen Singh, while seeking to justify Armed Forces Special Powers Act in Jammu and Kashmir, he said the army should not be deployed for internal security. It should be honed and ready for external threats. In fact, the army has been called 2700 times to enforce law and order, since Independence. He also said the Indian army is accountable, respects civil authority. India has fought war only when war has been trust upon us, Gen Singh said. Looking forward, he said the army has to adapt itself to change in polity, policy, environment in country to remain relevant to national aspirations. Giving details of the army's operations, he said 22,413 soldiers of the army have died since 1947.

Terror export: No hand shakes, Army chief tells Pak - Oneindia News
can any senior member shed some light in this matter!i mean is the figure of our martyred soldiers include the casualties suffered by the Indian Army in all the wars since independence?:confused:

SilentKiller

Country flag
can any senior member shed some light in this matter!i mean is the figure of our martyred soldiers include the casualties suffered by the Indian Army in all the wars since independence?:confused:
12-16k brave we in wars of 47, 62, 65, 71 and 99. some were lost in Srilankan campaign and rest might have given their life in counter terror activities in Punjab, J&K and northeast states. So i believe this number is correct...
anyways, more experience guys can provide better comments.

Thanks!!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
When the Army Chief has said it, what will the seniors here say except respects and salutes to te martyrs and that the nation owes gratitude to them for their sacrifice. I wish we could do a lot more than just words. Majority of the martyrs have been failed by this nation by means of what happens to their families after they made te supreme sacrifice. We don't even have a memorial in their honor yet.

mikhail

Country flag
When the Army Chief has said it, what will the seniors here say except respects and salutes to te martyrs and that the nation owes gratitude to them for their sacrifice. I wish we could do a lot more than just words. Majority of the martyrs have been failed by this nation by means of what happens to their families after they made te supreme sacrifice. We don't even have a memorial in their honor yet.
i beg to differ sir, as our GOI(i believe it was Mrs.Gandhi) has already made a memorial called "Amar Jawan Jyoti" under the India Gate and every year during the Republic day our P.M.,DM and the chiefs of the Indian Armed Forces visit this memorial to pay respect to the souls of the martyrs!anyways my utmost respect to the martyrs of the Motherland:salute:!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
i beg to differ sir, as our GOI(i believe it was Mrs.Gandhi) has already made a memorial called "Amar Jawan Jyoti" under the India Gate and every year during the Republic day our P.M.,DM and the chiefs of the Indian Armed Forces visit this memorial to pay respect to the souls of the martyrs!anyways my utmost respect to the martyrs of the Motherland:salute:!
Idnia gate made by British. We need a monument made by Indians for post independence martyrs.

mikhail

Country flag
Idnia gate made by British. We need a monument made by Indians for post independence martyrs.
but sir i am talking about the "Amar Jawan Jyoti" which was built by our late P.M. Mrs.Indira Gandhi and which stand under the arch structure of India Gate..

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
I am proud of these brave jawan who have laid down their lives to uphold the sovereignity and integrity of india but i am also ashamed that even after 65 years since independence we still do not have a national memorial dedicated to men and women who have laid down their lives from military,paramilitary and police forces.

HEILTAMIL

just monuments or words from leaders are not just enough, soldiers are our nations pride, source of national integrity and our only source to rise nationalism,state should make it compulsory to play small documentaries about soldiers and their sacrifices before every show in every cinema theatres and TV channels in India, it is the need of the hour
to wake up the people wanking on bollywood

Vishwarupa

Country flag
Also there should be quota for Defense personal at the political level also. Like woman quote there should be some percentage allotted exclusive for those who have served in Defense services.

Jagdish

Did the families of 22,413 bravehearts received proper compensation as per the rules or many are fighting cases for their right?

mikhail

Country flag
Did the families of 22,413 bravehearts received proper compensation as per the rules or many are fighting cases for their right?
mate this is India,here nobody except a few like us care for our martyrs.people here rather care for Bollywood superstars and the politicians are even worse,they always try to make out the most by making political issues on the martyr soldiers.so i won't be surprised if i come to know that most of these martyrs's families haven't received optimum compensations as that mean nothing to most of us Indians:sad:.

Jagdish

mate this is India,here nobody except a few like us care for our martyrs.people here rather care for Bollywood superstars and the politicians are even worse,they always try to make out the most by making political issues on the martyr soldiers.so i won't be surprised if i come to know that most of these martyrs's families haven't received optimum compensations as that mean nothing to most of us Indians:sad:.
You are right then we cannot call people traitors who become double agents:tsk: politics & poblicity stunt are two curse upon India which has no cure:mad:

I wish General V.K.Singh had carried out a coup & sent all these Orangatans to Tihar Jail

A soldier is bigger than President or PM or any bollywood tarzan , which is universal truth that no one can change

Politics on brave martyr reminds me of Great Sir Unnikrishnan episode
Kerala CM insults slain Major's dad - Times Of India

There was no rally against Kerala CM , nor the protest . But if some Popcorn is not allowed in USA airport people protest & if a drunken monkey goes to jail in the case of poaching black buck people protest , Kya duniya hai yaar:thumb::frusty::facepalm:

mikhail

Country flag
22,413 Indian Jawans have been immortalised and their ultimate sacrifice will be remembered throughout history. My humble salute to the brave hearts. :salute:
actually the number has risen in the past few months due to the cowardly attacks by our beloved western neighbor.i think the number of martyrs as of today is somewhere around 22,440.that means we have lost around 30 bravehearts in the past 3-4 months.shame on us as we couldn't even avenge their sacrifices:mad:!

Poseidon

Country flag
Not a very high number in the same period US lost 47400 soldiers in Vietnam and 40000+ in korean war as well as 6800 in Afg and Iraq.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
More American and British soldiers have died of Suicide than have been killed in combat in Afghanistan.

===
Does this figures also include fratricides, and suicides ?

Poseidon

Country flag
More American and British soldiers have died of Suicide than have been killed in combat in Afghanistan.

===
Does this figures also include fratricides, and suicides ?
No.
It only includes KIA,WIA who did of injuries later,MIA declared dead or presumed,dead POW's.

It also includes only army fatalities and not from IAF,IN and ICG.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles