21 Women Remove Mangalsutras in Chennai Before Court Cancels Event

bose

Country flag
It's up to the Muslim women to decide what to do.:thumb:
A muslim women in Saudi Arabia or Iran or Afghanistan does not have any choice but to wear a Burkha...

Rashna

Country flag
You said this ."There is no sharia in any Muslim country except for perhaps civil cases. Just a scare tactic used by islamophobes to tarnish Muslims - don't fall for it". and i just proved you wrong so you can't now change the goalpost.

In theory, yes. But in reality, except Saudi and a few other regions, Sharia is only used to settle personal disputes. There are many places in India where khap/panchayat sets terms - doesn't mean all Hindus are primitive and follow khap verdict. Same logic would apply here.

Rashna

Country flag
Sure there is but your claim that muslim women are free to make a choice is absurd when they don't have that freedom in muslim majority countries which strictly follow the Quran. If you start bringing other things in to the conversation you dilute the conversation because you find yourself in quicksand. First accept that you were wrong in making your sweeping statement, then we can discuss sec 377 and khap panchayat and gay rights etc.

You didn't. I am not. Section 377 is still around in India, for example, but are Indians rounding up gay people? So my point is, there's always a gap between theory and ground realities.

bose

Country flag
That's what Islamophobes say. When I was in Bangladesh, most women wore western clothing. Very few in burqa, and even those few CHOSE to wear them. Nobody was forcing them, but like I said you believe what you believe. You can only believe in the worst about other people.
Wrong interpretation: There is no phobia here... Can you deny my statement? Women in Saudi Arabia cannot even drive a car... That is too un-Islamic !!

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
During my school days like many boys I too wasted my time for a white girl (don't know her qualities except she is white :p) but never ever said "Hi" to one dark girl in my street (same school).

After 4/5 yrs I realized actually dark girl is cute and I likes her qualities, then problem arise how can I initiate discussion with a girl,whom I never said simple "Hi".

Moral of the story:We Indians are brainwashed only white is b'ful.If we remove this (white) color blindness we will see so many b'ful colors.
Look I am not telling you white girls per say ... I am saying POLISH girls. Just put your hand around a polish girls waist .. :love:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Okey, for the folks who believe this is symbol of enslavement, my suggestion don't wear it at the first place. If you are Hindu, nobody forces you to wear it other than may be family members. And if family members are forcing you to wear the symbo;s, it is your personal and fa,ily matter, not a public affair.

For example, after my marriage I asked my wife not to wear Sindur or Sakha-pala - the signs of married women in Bengal instead of Mangalsuthra - and she refused and apparently, she likes to wear it - part out of faith to her culture and tradition andreligion, part she likes the stature I guess. It was her personal choice.

Now, those women who were ready to remove those Mangalshuthras were not having any trouble 'coz of this means their family wouldn't mind, Which means they were already not in any kind of enslavement. Then what kind of demonstration was it to be?

Also, why don't this rationalists try muslim women remove their Burqua, or Christian women their rings? Hypocrisy much? Or is it the Hindus are too tolerant, where as others would have a lynch fest?
Dude, do you think these women actually "removed" their mangalsutra or something. I can bet 1 lakh rupees right here that these women are hired for this specific "function" at a rate of probably 2000Rs. per head and are from poor family. They would have considered this as a drama, just like how the hundred marriages funtions are organised for some politicians' birthdays.

After the function is over, the actually married women among those would have reworn the mangalsutra and the unmarried ones would wear it when they actually get married- ground truth.:laugh:

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Both actually. These are the hallmarks of cowards- they go after soft targets. Not necessarily weak ones, but soft ones, who are unlikely to respond viciously or vengefully to such provocations.

They'll never go after Muslims because one of them will halal them in the street or their homes.

They'll never go after Christians because-
a. Most of them are one themselves and,
b. Most of their backers are one and are pushing for that agenda.

Now where have we seen this before?

Uncannily similar to DDM, don't you think?
Now thats just convenient, to hide the cowardice with nonviolence or tolerance. Lets just accept the truth, Hindus are just cowards:rolleyes:

Vikramjeet

I fail to understand how things like mangalsutra are 'slavery' on part of women. Some rationalists are simply idiots regardless of whether they oppose Muslims or Hindus. I agree, however, that in an age like ours, Mangalsutra and such stuff are largely irrelevant in modern westernised circles,ofcourse case in non anglicised parts is different.

DingDong

Country flag
Bindi, sindoor and Mangalsutra are cultural practices, and Hindu women have no religious compulsion to wear them. My mother doesn't wear Mangalsutra, my sister does. Hindu women in Punjab may not wear sindoor. Women in my family do not practice Karwachauth. Hindu women are free to do away with these practices if they wish to.

But then the rationalists must not be so choosy about their next target. We all know what happened to the rationalist who dared making fun of Mumbai's weeping Jesus and has since been forced out of the country. Before proving their rationalism they must prove that their intentions are clean and they are not after soft targets, everything will be fine.

Vikramjeet

My guess is that we will be seeing a trend of "open marriages" soon. A couple marries, but both of them are free to explore others. They still rear their child etc., but they continue to have open sexual relations with a variety of people. If the burden of rearing the child places a strain on their marriage, and they decide that they don't want to stay with each other anymore, society will be perfectly ok with them getting separated and going to someone else. With women's empowerment and financial equality, the concept of divorce and maintenance will cease to exist. Just my personal prediction.

Meanwhile, here's a coffee-spill question:

I am always amazed by how extremes on opposite ends match quite often. Like say how a human in his early stages of life is weak and dependent upon others like he is in old stages. Similarly, you are right about 'open marriages'. Such things existed in hunter gatherer societies of stone age . As societies developed, patriarchy followed suit. Now, with extreme advancement, trend of open marriages would only increase. Once again extremes on opposite ends matching, either societies like hunter gatherers have open marriages or those which are extremely advanced like Sweden.

Vikramjeet

What many call culture is a state of mind for me..

Indian culture has gone from no mention of mangalsutras,idols in vedas to prevelance of both of these which were previously not part of our culture....

People look down upon women wearing short skirts but most of our ancient sculptures show women in bare minimum clothes. One has to ask oneself if culture we see today is really our culture or something which we have adopted due to years of foreign invasions.
You are confusing 'organic evolution' with 'break' in culture. Civilizations always will evolve but that evolution is organic and limited to that civilization. In modern times there are only two civilizations-Islamic and Western so there is no organic evolution in case of India.

People look down upon women wearing skirts because these people are descendants (biological as well as cultural) of a society which required veils for women when grandfather of Muhammad was not born.

Vikramjeet

BTW, that question is indeed interesting. Exceptions do exist and so while it is true that there can be educated, beautiful girls who are docile and shy (rare but still not impossible) and there can be ugly , semi educated yet quarrelsome and who might have a history of many BFs but yes, as a rule the man who has asked this question is bit right. Private lives of people do not concern me but still if that man wants to have a better probability of getting traditional life partner, I would advise him that he is on right track so far as his generalisations are concerned.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
How does it matter that they remove anything?

Who cares?

Sambha ka Boss

Tamilians are more practicing Hindus than anyone could in India. This thing will hardly make any impact. :lol::lol:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles