21 Women Remove Mangalsutras in Chennai Before Court Cancels Event

Vishwarupa

Country flag
CHENNAI: A group of women voluntarily removed their mangalsutras at 6.45 am today in Chennai; then came the news that the Madras High Court had cancelled permission for the event.

The Dravidar Kazhagam - an organization which says it is committed to promoting the ideology of rationalist leader Periyar, had planned a twin protest today. "A beef banquet" was meant to express its opposition to the ban on beef introduced in Maharashtra. The group had also said that nearly 170 couples would stand in solidarity as wives removed their mangalsutras or "thalis" - a sacred thread worn by married women - because it is a symbol of a woman's enslavery.

After protests by Hindu groups, the event was banned by the local police which said communal tension could be inflamed, but last evening, a judge at the Madras High Court said the Dravidar Kazhagam's right to freedom of expression must be upheld. That decision was overruled this morning by two other judges on the basis of an appeal by the state government.

The Dravidar Kazhagam planned its protests after a television channel discussing the relevance of the mangalsutra in modern society was targeted with crude bombs at its Chennai office.

"We will seek legal remedy," said Dravidar Kazhagam chief K Veeramani today. "We will not defy the court order...we are against any curb on freedom of expression," he added.

21 Women Remove Mangalsutras in Chennai Before Court Cancels Event

I dont know what to say about this!! If you want you remove your cloths also who cares but why this public demonstration.

What are they trying to prove?

Vishwarupa

Country flag
It is a symbolic way of saying: we won't be slaves anymore. Similar to Ambedkhar's burning of the Manu Smriti in public. It is symbolic.
What about burkas? women are treated as pets what do you have to say about that?

Adux

Country flag
What about burkas? women are treated as pets what do you have to say about that?
Maybe all the 21 women were of Hindu heritage, You should ask the same to women have been victim of the above, that is muslim women

Rashna

Country flag
These women seem to have woken up very late. In urban areas where cases of chain snatching are so rampant women have already opted for fake mangalsutras or for opting to not wear them. Its their choice if they don't want to wear the mangalsutra but in my opinion 90% women wear it with pride. It tells others "hands off" and is something the woman sees as an adornment and not as a punishment. Its something like the wedding ring worn in the west. The mangalsutra by virtue of being an important element of a hindu marriage is not looked down up on by women. This move resembles "bra burning" in the west. Both are signs of ad-hoc lib. Its a personal choice and should be respected.

^^^^ btw burka,3 talaks,Child marriage,hum4 hamara 40&72 virgins plz stay away

Yup,I personally dislike these injustice/inequality towards women in the name of traditions. Mangalsutra,Sindoor&toe rings

What is ur views in this @Ray @Mad Indian & @Rashna :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
These women seem to have woken up very late. In urban areas where cases of chain snatching are so rampant women have already opted for fake mangalsutras or for opting to not wear them. Its their choice if they don't want to wear the mangalsutra but in my opinion 90% women wear it with pride. It tells others "hands off" and is something the woman sees as an adornment and not as a punishment. Its something like the wedding ring worn in the west. The mangalsutra by virtue of being an important element of a hindu marriage is not looked down up on by women. This move resembles "bra burning" in the west. Both are signs of ad-hoc lib. Its a personal choice and should be respected.
LoL... Left wing morons these women are :rofl:
No self respecting man can marry a women that despises the mangalsutra

Rashna

Country flag
Aren't you becoming a right wing moron in quest for parity with these women. That's too extreme a reaction. What if the bride to be has some allergy to metals or beads. lolz. With your luck u might land up with someone like that. :taunt:

Adux

Country flag
I dont think most people know the real depth of the philosophy, but love or respect is not enshrined on a chain of gold. I like the concept of Mangalsutra, doesnt mean I want my would be wife to wear one to let me know that she loves or trust me.

warriorextreme

Country flag
Mangalsutra is indeed a symbol of slavery..But unfortunately many woman prefer to wear it....Amount of money I have spent on my wife's designer mangalsutra's could have been invested and earning interest for us. :rolleyes:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Aren't you becoming a right wing moron in quest for parity with these women. That's too extreme a reaction. What if the bride to be has some allergy to metals or beads.
I said despising. Having an allergy is not the same thing.

lolz. With your luck u might land up with someone like that. :taunt:
But I thought we were in love with each other :love:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Mangalsutra is indeed a symbol of slavery..But unfortunately many woman prefer to wear it....Amount of money I have spent on my wife's designer mangalsutra's could have been invested and earning interest for us. :rolleyes:
Bhai you are always for earning interest . LoL :rofl: same in the temple gold thread.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
I dont think most people know the real depth of the philosophy, but love or respect is not enshrined on a chain of gold. I like the concept of Mangalsutra, doesnt mean I want my would be wife to wear one to let me know that she loves or trust me.
Strawman ....
As I said ... a Mangalsutra is a symbol of that. So may be you are OK with it. In my case it'll have to be something like @Rashna said. Metal allergies etc.
But if you don't want to wear don't wear , no need to tarnish other peoples belief in it.

Ancient Indian

p = np :)
People scream about their identity of hindhuism. But when it come to practice, meh.

Please continue with your hindhuism.

Rashna

Country flag
@Rowdy

Well that's something u shud factor. But i think gold is one metal which doesnt cause anyone any allergy. :rofl:

Wonderful. So when are you buying me that 100 gram MS. :rofl:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
@Rowdy

Well that's something u shud factor. But i think gold is one metal which doesnt cause anyone any allergy. :rofl:

Wonderful. So when are you buying me that 100 gram MS. :rofl:
One word ..... Gandharva Vivaha

Rashna

Country flag
You know in the earlier days after the husband's death women were forced to take off their mangalsutra. Now most women do not take it off even when widowed. This comes out of an opposite belief ( to the one the women in this story have), that once married you do not give up that status just because the partner has moved on.

People scream about their identity of hindhuism. But when it come to practice, meh.

Please continue with your hindhuism.

Rashna

Country flag
Flower garlands. Wasn't it mentioned in some thread here that Gandharva Vivaha is allowed only for royals. When Dushyant married Shakuntala Gandharva vivaha style he still gave her that ring which later created history. :lol:

One word ..... Gandharva Vivaha

Global Defence

New threads

Articles