2012 US Presidential Elections

Who would you vote for, if you were a US citizen ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pmaitra

My take on Barack Obama

My take on Barack Obama (pros in green and cons in red):
  • He came at a time when George Bush was riding on a wave of unpopularity and sky rocketing petrol/gasoline prices.
  • He does get part of the credit to nail OBL.
  • He started the Cash-for-Clunkers programme so that there is better use of fuel.
  • He promised to end the two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and bring the troops home but failed.
  • He joined NATO in invading Libya.
  • He could not convince the Congress on the Health Reforms.
  • He promised to build high-speed trains and doubling of tracks. Forget about trains and doubling, they haven't even changed the wooden ties/sleepers and replaced them with concrete ones. Railways anywhere south of Washington DC is in shambles and no one seems to care.
  • He has totally failed to control inflation.
Overall, I liked all the things he promised before he became President. He did not deliver. He inherited too much mess to be squarely blamed. He however, has seen an erosion in support base. Republicans have a fair chance of turning the tables this time, but we need to wait for the Republican Primaries.

niharjhatn

My take on Barack Obama
He promised to end the two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and bring the troops home but failed

Overall, I liked all the things he promised before he became President. He did not deliver. He inherited too much mess to be squarely blamed. He however, has seen an erosion in support base. Republicans have a fair chance of turning the tables this time, but we need to wait for the Republican Primaries.
I am pretty sure he never promised to end the war in Afghanistan, only Iraq, and hopefully there is a 100% withdrawal of forces from there. But I still think he sees afghanistan as an important fight...

It is important to remember that US FOREIGN POLICY is RIDICULOUSLY CONSISTENT over the years. The US has its own agenda on such issues... and different parties do not seem to affect these issues at all... its like how they show in all the Hollywood movies of faceless financiers and military and para-military agencies continually influencing America policies, however, I daresay there is a shred of truth in there.

However, you forgot his most important attribute... he shoots 3's better than me and my hours in the gym :(

Last edited by a moderator:

pankaj nema

Country flag
The Question is whether GOP will be able to find a strong candidate to Challenge Obama

Other wise Obama wins by Default

Atleast Obama is looking sincere by Taxing the rich and providing Health Care

Republicans have a more aggressive stance on Iran and Pakistan

The " problem called Pakistan " is figuring prominently in Presidential debates

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
thakur_ritesh wrote
Will UNSC happen? I doubt, and I am yet not convinced on US supporting us, though obama might have said, what he said, because our two countries have divergent world view, and I don't see how US will support a country which sees more common ground on world view with Russia and to a certain extent with china, than it does with US.
The US electorate is aware of 2 countries, China and Israel. Americans who would would cast a vote for the presidential candidates based on any issue involving India are extremely few, in my opinion.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Republicans have a more aggressive stance on Iran and Pakistan

The " problem called Pakistan " is figuring prominently in Presidential debates
You are right, and I omitted that in my previous post. Americans who think about India would do so in relation to Pakistan.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
thakur_ritesh wrote

The US electorate is aware of 2 countries, China and Israel. Americans who would would cast a vote for the presidential candidates based on any issue involving India are extremely few, in my opinion.
oh no, i was not even referring to india influencing US electorate.

point being, what is it that this relationship, indo-US, holds in store in the next 4years once the new administration forms the government, and the reference, will UNSC for india happen? its about what india would get.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
oh no, i was not even referring to india influencing US electorate.

point being, what is it that this relationship, indo-US, holds in store in the next 4years once the new administration forms the government, and the reference, will UNSC for india happen? its about what india would get.
I understand, but it would be a good thing for more Americans to think about India, instead of the bad actors getting all the attention.

trackwhack

Ron Paul may still get a nomination. Lets see what happens.

Two-party presidential race faces challenge
By Richard McGregor in Washington
Quietly, away from the hubbub of the Republican primaries campaign and Barack Obama's frenetic efforts to revive his fortunes, a new organisation has begun work to throw a mighty wrench in the gears of both major parties.
With $30m in privately raised funds from large and small donors, Americans Elect is building the online infrastructure to find an alternative candidate to run against the nominees of the Democratic and Republican parties.
More

ON THIS STORY
Gingrich under fire over Freddie Mac fees
Interactive 2012 contenders
Perry plans to 'uproot and overhaul' Washington
Gingrich bounces back in the polls
In depth US presidential election 2012
ON THIS TOPIC
Opinion A comedy of errors
Editorial Over-reach in Ohio
Edward Luce Mr President, it's time to panic
Immigration key to Obama's poll hopes
The body has signed on well-known Republicans and Democrats and former political and military figures, who say they are disillusioned with the crushing conformity of the two dominant parties at a time of national crisis.
"I would do anything to disrupt the status quo," said Mark McKinnon, who worked on campaigns for George W. Bush. "I have worked for 30 years on both sides of the aisle and am frustrated that nothing ever seems to get done."
Headquartered in Washington, the body's website is run from New York and the ballot issues from San Diego. Its 143 employees have a single aim: finding a credible candidate.
Michael Toner, a former head of the Federal Election Commission, said third-party candidates have traditionally struggled to get over electoral laws and ballot-access rules to allow them to run.
"A third-party candidate likely would need to be a major self-funder to be potentially viable, someone capable of contributing $100m-$200m of their own money into their campaign," he said. "In short, someone like Michael Bloomberg."
Profile: Michael Bloomberg

Michael Bloomberg is a dream to head any alternative presidential ticket. He has been both a Republican and Democrat; made a fortune as a businessman and hence has the firepower to fund a campaign; and has also been elected to and done one of the most high-profile jobs in the country, as New York Mayor. Mr Bloomberg would win support from independent voters and damage Mr Obama above all.
Mr Bloomberg, the New York mayor and a self-made billionaire, has flirted with running for president but never committed. Associates say he would not run unless he thought he could win.
On the libertarian right, Ron Paul, a Texas congressman and candidate in the Republican primary for the 2012 presidential poll, could be a contender if his fractious party chooses an insufficiently conservative nominee to face Mr Obama.
Profile: Ron Paul

A fixture on the national political scene, Ron Paul is also a hardy perennial in presidential races. He ran for the Libertarian Party in 1988 and is running for the Republican nomination for the second time in 2012. A fringe figure among the mainstream parties who opposes America's overseas wars and wants to get rid of the Federal Reserve, he nonetheless has a strong following in parts of the country and has raised millions of dollars for his presidential race. A Paul candidacy would hurt the Republicans.
Third party candidates can be decisive. Businessman Ross Perot and activist Ralph Nader in 1992 and 2000 respectively cost George Bush Snr and Al Gore the elections in the eyes of many members of their parties.
Mr McKinnon said Mr Perot snared nearly 20 per cent of the vote and the number of Americans who thought the country was on the wrong track was "45 points worse now".
Americans Elect is the brainchild of Peter Ackerman, a wealthy financier with a longstanding interest in non-violent civil resistance who has contributed more than $5m of his own money to get it off the ground.
"Ideological extremes have come to dominate US politics, and unless you represent those extremes, you cannot participate in a meaningful way," said his son, Elliot Ackerman, the body's chief operating officer.
The body does not advocate policies or promote candidates and campaigns, to avoid being regulated as a political entity, and aims simply to get over the expensive and logistically difficult issue of qualifying for the ballot.
So far, Americans Elect has qualified in eight states and aims to have all 50 by next year, in time for an online nominating process to choose a candidate by mid-2012. In California alone, qualifying for the ballot means getting 1.6m signatures, which Americans Elect has done.
To give the process a bipartisan lustre, any registered Democrat or Republican who gets through the early rounds to compete for the final nomination must choose a running-mate from the other party.
While not doubting Americans Elect's aims, Norm Ornstein, of the American Enterprise Institute, said it was odd that a body that advocates transparency has a structure that conceals the identity of its donors.
In depth: US presidential elections 2012

Republican contenders are vying for the presidential nomination of the party in an attempt to unseat Barack Obama in 2012
"I can imagine wealthy Republican hedge fund types thinking the best way to get rid of Obama would be to find a moderate to run as an independent," he said.
He said an independent candidate elected president in any case would be even less effective than someone from the traditional parties, as they would have no power base in Congress.
Matt Miller, a senior fellow with the Center for American Progress and a supporter of the body, said people in Washington tended to pat him on the head and say "that's a nice little internet thing you've got going there".
"But there is an empty chair in every debate and every conversation," he said. Once Americans Elect announce it is on the ballot in all 50 states, he added, people would really sit up and take notice

Article is on FT.com

The thing is even if he tries to come in through a third party, they will do to him what they did to Ralph Nader when he first ran in 2000. Exclude him from the pre-election debates, sideline any other candidate that is a threat. The American machine is well wired enough to ensure that it remains a two party system.

Sometimes I fall off the chair when I read articles in American media criticizing the "One Party" System in China.

India's democracy is messy, regional, communal, casteist and all that but it is at least a true democracy.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
In all likelihood, Obama will get reelected. It may seem ridiculous now but just wait and see.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
India's democracy is messy, regional, communal, casteist and all that but it is at least a true democracy.
And the biggest one.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
I understand, but it would be a good thing for more Americans to think about India, instead of the bad actors getting all the attention.
I would like to believe that to be a good thing only when the interests of the two countries converge to the extent that there isn't much left where there would be discrepancies. But that is not how things stand today, no matter how this relationship is projected with all the rhetoric of being natural partners and all that, deep inside, there remain a lot of differences.

I have repeatedly said, India will never be ready to do a UK, or a japan or a Pakistan, ever, and if we are not doing that, every chance once the goody-goody feel disappears, once the utility fades away, a lot of negative talk awaits, Obama as such doesn't forget talking about outsourcing even in these good times, so it is best to let the things be the way they are.

Mahatma Gandhi, India a non-aggressive country, poverty, etc are all fine with me.

PS: The only thing where I would like to see Americans, the common folk, talk more about India would be in terms of a tourist destination :)

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Request you all to please post the foreign policy stance of each of these candidates. thanks.

pmaitra

Foreign Policy Stance of 2012 Republican Presidential Candidates

Foreign Policy Stance of 2012 Republican Presidential Candidates

As the rise of anti-Americanism across the globe shows no signs of abating, especially among the Islamic world. America's foreign policy, diplomacy and general international relations continues to suffer from the numerous aggressive stance it has taken in recent years, most notably on its unilateral war on terror and its rejection of the Kyoto Protocol.

[sigh; Ron Paul is not listed, but his stance is well known]

Declared 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Businessman, Politician & Media

Herman Cain

Cain Position on Foreign Affairs

Cain prefers a more laid back, and less aggressive foreign policy. Instead, he advocates putting more of our resources into strengthening domestic defensive capabilities.

More on Cain

[HR][/HR]
Former Speaker of the House

Newt Gingrich

Gingrich Position on Foreign Affairs

"¢ Gingrich believes that we should lead the way to a Third Wave Information Age and expand the use of statecraft.

More on Gingrich

[HR][/HR]
Former Governor of New Mexico

Gary Johnson

Johnson Position on Foreign Affairs

Johnson, while maintaining the need to constantly improve our national defense, rejects the idea of our troops continued presence in Europe, Iraq, Afghanistan and now Libya. The undefined and shifting objective of our international military presence, coupled with the enormous expenditure that our creaking economy is saddled with, is a stark reminder of the need to reevaluate our foreign and domestic security policy in the face of our outrageous budget deficit.

More on Johnson

[HR][/HR]
Political Consultant & Gay Rights Activist

Fred Karger

Karger Position on Foreign Affairs

Karger feels that Obama's 'tentative and cautious' nature is hindering the development of our foreign policy. However, while he is critical of Obama's handling of Afghanistan and Egypt, he is in agreement with Obama's management of the Libya situation.

More on Karger

[HR][/HR]
Former Governor of Massachusetts

Mitt Romney

Romney Position on Foreign Affairs

"¢ The foreign policy outlined by Mitt Romney charts down two main issues in the forefront which will strengthen the United States position as an economic and military super power. One pertains to 'defeating the Jihadists' and the other relates to 'competing with Asia'.

"¢ Romney feels that since the Asian economies are rapidly expanding, the United States need to shed its protectionist approach in the matters of its economy. It will need to open up its market even further. This can be done through reducing the tariffs, bringing down the corporate taxes and by employing a competitive advantage in the market.

"¢ To make the United States a more competitive economy, Romney wants looser laws of immigration so that the economy can take advantage of highly skilled workers. The policy is specific to the highly skilled workers and is clear from its insistence to keep the low-skilled workers who migrate illegally from the South.

"¢ Romney believes that a three pronged approach would take care of the Jihadists. The first aspect would be the employment of military options and pressure. The second approach would be diplomacy which would involve the regional and international players. The third approach would exhort the Muslims to reject extremism. In those nations where the Al Qaeda is developing its roots, such as Bali and Pakistan, the United States should send its forces in order to work in synergy with the local population to contain the terrorists.

"¢ Romney believes that Iran offers a serious challenge to America and that the US has to assure that Iran does not develop a nuclear arsenal. Romney believes economic sanctions and similar strategies would work. The military option may also be left open.

More on Romney

[HR][/HR]
Former US Senator from Pennsylvania

Rick Santorum

Santorum Position on Foreign Affairs

Santorum contends that President Obama's apology for decisions made under former President Bush weakens the country's position in the world. He also criticized the administrations 'ill-defined' foreign policy, citing as an example, the three different approaches taken in responding to protestors in Iran, Egypt and Libya.

Santorum also questions the administration's grasp on the minutiae of the fundamentalist sharia movement, likening it to ideological threats from our past such as Marxism. He argues further that American intervention in any foreign conflict should be solely limited to matters which have a direct impact to the country.

More on Santorum

[HR][/HR]

Matt Snyder

Snyder Position on Foreign Affairs

[h=5]"America has been a wonderful source of aid to other nations. However, our economic situation is such that we simply cannot afford to continue supplying financial aid to non-allies. Libyans saw no benefit from our aid. Pakistan has received around $20 Billion in the last decade and their loyalty still rested with Bin Laden. We just can't afford to be this stupid anymore."[/h]

More on Snyder

[HR][/HR]
Businessman

Vern Wuensche

Wuensche Position on Foreign Affairs

"¢ Wuensche believes we should reduce our support and redefine our relationship with the United Nations.

"¢ He believes Americans should have a continuing discussion on what are our national interests and prioritize our resources to take care of them only.

More on Wuensche

See more details here: 2012 Republican Presidential Candidates on Foreign Affairs

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
The smart money is on Romney, but the primaries don't start til January.

2012 Primary Schedule � 2012 Election Central
I might be wrong, and please correct me if I am wrong, but he comes across as one who seems to be a more aggressive of the lot. His foreign policy certainly states that. Rest of the candidates and certainly Ron Paul's foreign policy sounds more in line with what obama has to offer, more inwards, less aggressive.

How is the American public looking at it, do they want someone who has an aggressive outlook or someone who looks to consolidate for another day.

My view is, if US has a president with an aggressive FP, that would be a better deal for India.

trackwhack

I might be wrong, and please correct me if I am wrong, but he comes across as one who seems to be a more aggressive of the lot. His foreign policy certainly states that. Rest of the candidates and certainly Ron Paul's foreign policy sounds more in line with what obama has to offer, more inwards, less aggressive.

How is the American public looking at it, do they want someone who has an aggressive outlook or someone who looks to consolidate for another day.

My view is, if US has a president with an aggressive FP, that would be a better deal for India.
The President of the United states does not determine American foreign policy.

Foreign policy is determined by a core group consisting of National Security Advisers (Kissinger, Brzenski etc), CIA chiefs, Corporate lobbyists etc. The President only gives the executive orders that are practically thrust on him by this group.

The thing with foreign policy is that it does not change with every president. There has to be continuity. So leadership change has little to do with policy change. Policy change is only triggered by geopolitical changes like the Soviet Union collapsing or now the Arab Spring (we still don't have a clear policy directive basis whats happening - Gadaffi killed a few hundreds, he was executed. Thousands of Syrians have died - nothings happening)

So Romney can crow all he wants, he cant do anything that veers away from the Foreign policy that has already been determined.

Last edited:

trackwhack

Actually, this is also why Ron Pauls candidature is so interesting. If he becomes president how will he implement his vision. Only way to do so is by firing a lot of people in power right now. That basically puts his life in danger.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Actually, this is also why Ron Pauls candidature is so interesting. If he becomes president how will he implement his vision. Only way to do so is by firing a lot of people in power right now. That basically puts his life in danger.
Oh, his life won't be in danger, only his reputation. If he gets too far ahead in the polls or in the primaries, several women will suddenly appear to say he groped them 20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles