2012 Russian Federation Presidential Elections

Who would you rather see as the President of the Russian Federation? [See first page]

• Vladimir Putin (United Russia)

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Gennady Zyuganov (Communist Party of the Russian Federation)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Sergey Mironov (Just Russia)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vladimir Zhirinovsky (Liberal Democratic Party of Russia)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Mikhail Prokhorov (Independent)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pmaitra

Putin wins third term as Russian president

Putin wins third term as Russian president

Opposition says it will protest alleged fraud

By David M. Herszenhorn | NEW YORK TIMES MARCH 05, 2012
Obtained from The Boston Globe

Vladimir V. Putin shed a tear outside the Kremlin walls as throngs hailed his victory in Russia's presidential election Sunday. Putin served two terms as president before his current term as prime minister.

MOSCOW - In an outcome long predicted, Russian voters overwhelmingly granted Vladimir V. Putin a six-year term as president on Sunday, setting the stage for a far more suspenseful postelection confrontation between Putin and opposition groups.

"We have won,'' Putin declared to a huge throng of supporters outside the Kremlin walls, a tear running down his cheek. "We have gained a clean victory!'' He added, "We won! Glory to Russia.''

Putin has been Russia's preeminent leader for 12 years, serving two terms as president from 2000 to 2008 before his current term as prime minister. But the prospect of more protests, starting with a rally on Monday night in Pushkin Square in central Moscow, threatened to undercut his promise of stability.

Supporters of Vladimir Putin rallied near the Kremlin in Moscow on Sunday as he won the race for president.

Independent election observers and opposition leaders said there were widespread complaints of vote-rigging, and reports of Putin supporters being bused to multiple polling places to cast votes.

Some opposition leaders called for protests beyond those allowed by government permits, raising the prospect of a sharp response from the authorities.

Anticorruption blogger Aleksei Navalny said he would lead an unsanctioned march to the Kremlin after a rally scheduled for Monday. He has called for a permanent encampment of demonstrators like those created by the Occupy movements in the West. "People need to go out on the streets and not leave until their demands are met,'' he said in a television interview.

With 77 percent of ballots counted, Putin had won 64.9 percent, the Central Election Commission said, comfortably above the 50 percent needed to avoid a runoff. Not long after the polls closed in Moscow, tens of thousands of Kremlin supporters met in Manexhnaya Square for a victory celebration and concert.

The voting took place under heightened vigilance, after a disputed parliamentary election in December that helped set off the huge opposition protests. On Sunday, thousands of election observers took up posts across the country, most of them - in accordance with Russian election law - aligned with a candidate.

By some tallies, there were more than 3,000 complaints of violations, including "carousel voting,'' in which the same people cast ballots at multiple locations, and "centralized voting'' in which managers of factories, schools, hospitals, and other large organizations pressure employees to vote for a specific candidate. In some cases, ballots were collected at the workplace.

And again there were statistically improbable results from the North Caucuses, which is home to 6 percent of the Russian electorate and where Putin and his party have previously won close to 100 percent of the vote with abnormally high turnout.

There was no expectation that the complaints or improbable tallies would alter the results.

Even with opinion surveys showing Putin well-positioned to win the presidency, the political playing field has been Russia's most unstable since 1996, when President Boris N. Yeltsin was forced into a second-round runoff by the Communist leader, Gennady A. Zyuganov.

Zyuganov, who was a candidate again this year, declared the results illegitimate even before all the votes were counted. "It was illegitimate, unfair, and not transparent,'' he said. "I will not congratulate anyone.''

Many voters said they were ambivalent, indicating a general sense that there was no viable alternative to Putin. "I will not say who I am voting for,'' Anastasia Ryabukhina, 20, a student at the Academy of Labor and Social Relations, said at a polling station in Moscow. "But think about it yourself: Of all of them, Putin is the most realistic candidate.''

Putin, who did little traditional campaigning and refused to debate his opponents, nonetheless engaged in some of the most aggressive election-year politicking of his career. He postponed for six months the annual increase in household utility charges, the largest expense for most Russian families; increased pensions and military salaries; and promised an avalanche of new government spending.

He employed anti-American rhetoric, accusing Washington of trying to stoke revolution in Russia as well as in the Middle East. He appealed to nationalist pride.

"We still have much to do for our Russia and for our people,'' he thundered at a rally. "And we will do it based on the talent of our people, on our great history, which is written with the blood and sweat of our forefathers.''

Still, Putin's victory never seemed in doubt. He faced three well-worn opponents he had defeated in the past - including Zyuganov - and one newcomer, Mikhail D. Prokhorov, a billionaire industrialist and owner of the New Jersey Nets basketball team, who mustered the 2 million signatures to get on the ballot but had no party to support him and no political experience.

Source: Putin wins third term as Russian president - World - The Boston Globe

pmaitra

Putin cries as he gives a speech at the Manege Square.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

Let's see what CNN says!

CNN, as usual, parroting the trite old cries of 'democratic' reforms!

Last edited by a moderator:

HeinzGud

Country flag
I thought putin would have a shaky trail through the campaign due the poor performance of the Putin's party in parliamentary elections... but it seems that people actually likes putin for what he has done to his country.... good to see him as the Russian president and one of the prominent leaders of the few nations that are against EU and US....

amoy

So long as the oil/gas price stays high Czar Putin will be able to sustain his "avalanche of new spending".

In comparison his predecessor Yeltsin the "drunkard" was just unlucky with oil price then at around $20 per barrel.

Without petro-dollars all that popularity would have evaporated.

HeinzGud

Country flag
So long as the oil/gas price stays high Czar Putin will be able to sustain his "avalanche of new spending".

In comparison his predecessor Yeltsin the "drunkard" was just unlucky with oil price then at around $20 per barrel.

It's not where the money lies but the passion that makes a difference... sure if Putin didn't have had the oil money Russia would have been suffered a bigger blow.... but Putin's stance with the country would have rendered those difficulties obsolete...........

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag

Too bad China neither has those billions of barrels of liquid gold, nor a patriot like Putin. Try to learn something from him, like how to have a much celebrated victory despite democratic protests. China can only dream of that.

Last edited:

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Special thanks to you Lt Gen P Maitra for posting and populating this thread. Go Russia. Go Putin.

pmaitra

BBC: Russian elections: Your views

Russian elections: Your views

Russia's presidential elections were "clearly skewed" in favour of the winner, Vladimir Putin, international monitors have said.

Preliminary results showed that Mr Putin, who is currently prime minister, won more than 63% of the vote - opposition groups have called for mass protests.

BBC News website readers across Russia give their reaction to the news.

Dmitry Perekalin, Moscow

For many Russians this year's election was the litmus test for our democracy.

In the run-up to last night's vote, Mr Putin was widely expectedly to win, despite ever-increasing voter discontent.

Nevertheless, I volunteered as an independent election observer in the district of Otradnoe in Moscow.

It was important to show that our election processes could withstand international scrutiny.

I cast my vote for the Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov. His chances were slim but he represented political plurality.

I didn't witness any irregularities at the polling station. Although it is difficult to assess what happened in Russia's further-flung regions.

However, I did notice that many young people abstained from voting.

In Russia there are high levels of political apathy amongst the young. They do not feel their vote can make a difference.

Young Russians believe that any type of substantive reform is years away.

Most people who turned out to cast their ballots were middle aged or elderly.

You could class them as the conservative voters. People who still remember the bread lines and empty shelves and who crave economic and political stability rather than reform.

It is not surprising that Mr Putin won. It was inevitable.

Sergey Kuryatkov, Tula

Mr Putin's victory was predictable. Our country has enjoyed sustained economic growth and only Mr Putin can guarantee its continuation.

People feel secure in the knowledge that their standard of living will only get better under his leadership. The other candidates only offered dull rhetoric.

Mr Putin is a tried and tested politician. His policies benefit the whole of Russia. Other politicians only appeal to select groups.

Mironov is too unknown. Whilst Prokhorov is widely favoured by the rich, his programme appeals to them.

I am pleased that Mr Putin won by such a wide margin. That shows, to my mind, that people do not want deviations from the economic course that the country took up.

The opposition managed to rock people's minds and emotions declaring that those elections were rigged.

The quality of opposition is very poor. For any democracy that is a very bad sign.

Russians want the political opposition to evolve and actually be a contender during the next round of elections.

Ruslan Susidko, Krasnodar

I'm deeply disappointed by the election results.

Many Russians would argue that there was ballot box stuffing and vote rigging.

It's no secret that local officials were under colossal pressure to ensure that Mr Putin won.

He was expected to make a poor showing at the polls - his party has fallen out of favour with the general population - but instead he has miraculously won a term in office.

His popularity is on the wane and in this instance the true wishes of the Russian people have been ignored.

Most people view today's victory with a degree of cynicism. For the moment we have resigned ourselves to a Russia were Putin is in charge.

Everyone knows these elections merely gave us the illusion of free choice.

However, Mr Putin's tenure in office will be markedly different to previous years.

People want change and people will protest.

We are no longer afraid to demonstrate or voice our concerns.

This has rattled the establishment. Russia will change, with or without Mr Putin.

Julia, Novorossiysk

I'm a 29-year-old mother of two. It's disappointing to think that most of my youth will surely be spent under this regime.

I feel hopeless. It will be another six or possibly even 12 years of Putin. Nothing will change. There will be corruption and lawlessness.

The politicians will continue to shamelessly treat us like fools.

Russia is a rich country but the healthcare for the children here is in a state of decay.

The doctors are swamped with patients and the conditions in the children's hospital are a disgrace.

The education system is buckling. Teachers' salaries are so ridiculously low - around 5,000 rubels a month - that many are forced to leave and there are scarcely any good teachers in schools anymore.

The authorities in Russia don't really care about the people. They only care about their own power and prosperity and the people are being brainwashed.

Sadly, a lot of them believe that Putin is the only option. I am disgusted by the fact that the authorities are trying to make it seem like the protesters are the traitors.

They want to make it seem like protesting against Putin is protesting against Russia. It all smacks of the personality cult.

I want change but I don't want it to come to a point when it happens the way it's happened in Libya. I want peaceful change.

For some reason we just cannot shake off the hard times, and it's been that way for generations.

There was a brief period of hope and freedom in the 1990s; I remember how excited my parents were - now I'm at an age they were then and I'm utterly frustrated.

Source: BBC News - Russian elections: Your views

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

pmaitra

Critique of Western Media coverage of Russian Elections

Daily Telegraph, UK

AK
49 minutes ago
They were arrested for trying to set up tents, not the protest per se (which was sanctioned).

One may argue whether setting up tents in central areas of cities should be allowed or not, but in Russia it is not and the protesters knew it. As illustrated by OWS, the UK and the US are both of the same opinion. This doesn't stop them from cynically slamming Russia for doing the exact same they'd have done in its place.

Incidentally, the detained have all now been released.

Russian riot police break up protest against Vladimir Putin's election win - Telegraph
jamese007uk
29 minutes ago
There no such thing as 'News' of course. It's all designed to fill our
heads with the desired effect. I'm sure there will be some US influence within the BBC pushing this!?

I'm under illusion, the world aint perfect, the human race is absolutely corrupt and is at war .. but this time in a war to win your minds and hearts. It's being doing this for years, but NOW we have TV to soak our heads with.

BTW, I don't pay the BBC license. I gave it up, cos' of all this selective political bias/propaganda.

PS - yes, it's a laugh isn't it!?, the BBC all of a sudden 'concerned' that the Communists didn't do too well.

Russian riot police break up protest against Vladimir Putin's election win - Telegraph
"more than 120 activists."

Results from Pravda including the total number of votes each candidate obtained.

With 99.5 per cent of the votes counted, Vladimir Putin has 63.71 percent of the vote, translated into 44.9 million votes. Second is the leader of the Communist Party, Gennadi Zyuganov, with 17.19% and 12 million votes. Third is the Independent Mikhail Prokhorov, with 7.86% or 5.4 million votes. Fourth - Liberal Democrat Leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky (6.23%, 4.3 million votes); fifth - Sergei Mironov, Just Russia candidate (3.85% and 2.7 million votes).

So, Putin gets 45 million votes in a landslide victory. Then, holds a victory rally with upwards of 100,000 people.

The story the DT leads with: 120 people are unhappy.

3 words.

"Out of Touch."

The Guardian, UK

Photogrammetrist
5 March 2012 1:16PM
I am no fan of Putin as what kind of president KGB agent can be (there is no such thing as ex-KGB), but ordinary russians like him as they never had it so good. There was no alternative, second in line was communist leader and if he would get to power, there would be no further democratic elections in Russia.

Elections were scewed (airtime on TV, coverage in press) towards Putin, but you cannot rig 15% of the vote. He won and I think these were the cleanest russian elections.

Btw, if ballot stuffing and "carousel voting" are (rightly so) examples of electoral fraud, shouldn't outright lying about after-elections actions (Lib Dems Student Fees) or pushing for policies that were not in manifesto (Torries NHS) also be type of electoral fraud? Because anyone can promise streets pawed with gold and after election claim that there is no money for that gold, so we will now be selling off the asphalt and dustroads will have to do..

Russian election 'skewed' in Vladimir Putin's favour, observers say | World news | guardian.co.uk
Arapas
5 March 2012 1:18PM
Do not believe all the propaganda about vote rigging.
Putin has 99% support outside Moscow and St Peter.

As for the man stuffing the ballot box with seven papers, as seen on camera, he brought along his entire family's ballots, and suddenly it becomes "stuffing".

So much for having to say a good word.

Russian election 'skewed' in Vladimir Putin's favour, observers say | World news | guardian.co.uk
jpnortham
5 March 2012 1:21PM
The Guardian's reporting on Russia is deeply flawed ("please send us your videos of election fraud")..

It accuses Putin and his supporters of dishonesty, but is it not a bit dishonest to call the election-monitoring organisation Golos

"the independent election watchdog"

Guardian staff must know that Golos is funded by the USA's National Democratic Institute (funded by the Department of State). And that the UK also provides funds to the Institute, as does Open Society?

And, irony of ironies, so too does the Kingdom of Bahrain:

Who Supports Our Work | NDI

pmaitra

Not unlike other western news agencies, BBC has posted a video at the following website:

BBC News - Video emerges claiming to show Russia ballot box 'stuffing'

I saw the video, I did see a person putting in several sheets of paper into the ballot box. Is that ballot box 'stuffing?' Could be, but then, I am not sure.
Where I vote, an official takes my ballot and places it in the machine which scores it.
Exactly. The opponents found some video and are making up stories, methinks:

Arapas
5 March 2012 1:18PM
Do not believe all the propaganda about vote rigging.
Putin has 99% support outside Moscow and St Peter.

As for the man stuffing the ballot box with seven papers, as seen on camera, he brought along his entire family's ballots, and suddenly it becomes "stuffing".

So much for having to say a good word.

pmaitra

The Federation : Russia's Putin or Vladimir's Russia?

March 4, 2012
Thus Always to Genius
You are just a man: The Lunatic Manifesto

Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin, a former lawyer and KGB (Committee for State Security) agent, has just been re-elected as president of the Russian Federation, for a third non consecutive term.

In 1999, Putin entered the political scene as acting Deputy Prime Minister after Boris Yeltsin's unexpected resignation. He then transitioned as acting president, which led to his two official presidential terms of eight (8) years, which is the maximum length of time that one can hold such position in Russia. He was then appointed Prime Minister by his successor and long time friend, Dmitry Medvedev.

Four years passes by (that is 1461 days or 4 revolutions) and 2012 finally comes around: "Welcome back Mr. Putin. It feels as if you never left."

Surprised? "¦ not really "¦

Glasnost? "¦ not really "¦

Perestroika? "¦ kind of , in a "full circle" kind of way

* Please note that if you are under the impression that Glasnost and Perestroika might be a Vodka based drink that is popular in Moscow's trendy bars, I invite you to click on their respective hyperlinks.

But as I now think of it, these would make great names for drinks"¦.

- Waitress, may I please have glass of Glasnost with two shots of Perestroika?

- Listen, Gorbachev is gone and he is not welcomed back.

- "¦ but didn't he "¦

- I suggest you leave the establishment.

Okay Bref, back to history. Over two decades might have elapsed since the end of the cold war but the Soviet mind never forgets (as my fictitious waitress demonstrated).

Seems as if "Revolution" is as relevant in today's Russia as it was back in 1991.

Putin has been clearly expressing his views on his nation's enemies, especially the Americans. He has made it very clear that he is not interested in the "love / hate" relationship that the United States is offering. Matter of fact, he is not interested in any partnership with them.

He often warns the U.S. against military strike on Iran. He also cautions them against a NATO styled attack on Syria, as it was conducted on Libya.

Although all these omnipresent warnings are addressed to foreigners, he also warns his fellow citizens against potential invasion, such as Napoleon's of 1812.

From 1812 to 2012, same difference perhaps.

From St. Petersburg, to Petrograd, to Leningrad, to once again St. Petersburg.

From Russian Bribes, to Russian Brides, to Russian Pride, to once again Russian Bribes.

From President, to Prime Minister, to President, same difference perhaps.

The earth's revolution is completed in 365.25 days. As for Russia's revolution, the clock is ticking"¦

Ready when you are Vlad. You might just be historically remembered as one of Russia's emperors , as the following are:

Alexander I: the Blessed

Alexander II: the Liberator

Alexander III: the Peace-Maker

Alexander IV, [err], Vladimir I: the ____________

Well done Sir, [err], Czar. But always remember "¦ "Thus Always to Genius" → "Thus Always to Tyrants".

Source: http://thusalwaystogenius.com/2012/03/04/the-federation-russias-putin-or-vladimirs-russia/

amoy

Too bad China neither has those billions of barrels of liquid gold, nor a patriot like Putin. Try to learn something from him, like how to have a much celebrated victory despite democratic protests. China can only dream of that.
Ya, agree with u that overall speaking, Chinese are not so passionate, not so patriotic. But in another perspective, unlike Russia, China doesn't need a strongman in a post-Deng era. In this sense Chinese politics is getting 'mature'.

If I were an Russian I'd have voted for Putin. :p However my previous post on "Russian petrodollars" is only to highlight one of Putin's dilemmas on his path ahead as his promises rely on oil bonanza continuing since Russia Fed. unlike USSR has been reduced to a resource addict - the share of oil and natural gas in gross domestic product is around 20% (correct me if wrong).

Putin Sees High Oil Prices, Balanced Budget This Year http://www.themoscowtimes.com/busin...ed-budget-this-year/440909.html#ixzz1oIygvWTP
22 July 2011
Bloomberg
Russia may be able to balance its budget this year thanks to higher oil prices and a growing economy, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said after the surplus widened in June.

"We hope the deficit this year will be minimal, and perhaps we'll be able to make it through this year without one," Putin told a government meeting in Moscow on Thursday. The government expects deficits in 2012-14 and will need "strenuous work" to rein in costs.

The federal budget surplus surged to 640.2 billion rubles ($23 billion) through June, equivalent to 2.7 percent of gross domestic product, the Finance Ministry said Thursday on its web site. The surplus in June widened to 5.9 percent of GDP from 5.3 percent a month earlier.

Russia needs crude to average $115 a barrel this year to balance the budget, Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin said last month in St. Petersburg. It will average $125 for the next three years, according to preliminary budget parameters the Finance Ministry presented earlier this month.

"I would ask you again to minimize expenses that are non-essential, and state bodies need to take a balanced approach to their spending on state programs," Putin said. "We know what the forecasts are for 2012 to 2014, and it's not by accident that we're planning for a small deficit."

The budget, which usually sees higher spending in the second half, was in deficit at this time last year, Kudrin said at the meeting. The government is maintaining its forecast for a full-year shortfall of "just over 1 percent," he said, down from the 3.6 percent gap projected in the original budget plan.
But given what's going around Syria and Iran it seems ok with "liquid gold" to fund that ambitious budget, for a few more years??

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Where I vote, an official takes my ballot and places it in the machine which scores it.
What, and you call that democracy? Democracy is where you are in charge from the moment you are given the ballot till the moment you drop it into the box. Period. Anything else and you have defied your own definition of 'free and fair'.
What if the official is a master magician and has another ballot up his sleeve which he swaps with yours? :rofl:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Vladimir Putin to be inaugurated as Russian president

Vladimir Putin on May 7 will once again become president of Russia after an hour-long inauguration. RIA Novosti takes a closer look at the official ceremony.

After having previously served two consecutive four-year terms of office, this time Vladimir Putin will serve a six-year term.

The ceremony takes place in and around three Kremlin halls. The actual inauguration passes fairly quickly. The symbols of presidential power – the standard, the president's official badge and a special copy of the Constitution usually kept in the presidential library between inaugurations – await the future head of state.

The ceremony will begin with an honor guard bringing in the symbols of the presidential office.

Putin will recite a brief oath on a red-bound copy of the Russian Constitution vowing to serve his country.

A 30-gun salute will be fired from the Kremlin embankment to mark Putin's inauguration.

Six Russian TV channels will be broadcasting the inauguration ceremony live. The broadcast will start at 11:00 a.m. Moscow time [07:00 GMT].

Source:
Details of Putin's Inaugural Ceremony | Russia | RIA Novosti

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Russian Federation Episode VI: The Return of The Putin

Putin is now The President of The Russian Federation

MOSCOW, May 7 (Marc Bennetts, RIA Novosti) – Vladimir Putin was sworn in as Russian president on Monday in a glittering Kremlin ceremony that took place less than 24 hours after protesters opposed to his rule had battled police in downtown Moscow.

"I swear on the power invested in my as president of the Russian Federation to respect and protect the rights and freedom of its citizens," Putin said, his right hand placed on a red-bound copy of the Russian Constitution.

Russia's nuclear suitcase was handed over to Putin immediately after his inauguration.

Putin's motorcade had sped through empty streets locked down by a heavy security presence on its way to the Kremlin State Palace, where some 2,000 guests had gathered to witness his inauguration for a six-year term. Those assembled included Putin's handpicked successor, Dmitry Medvedev, and Patriarch Kirill, head of Russia's powerful Orthodox Church.
Source:

Putin Returns to Kremlin for Third Term | Russia | RIA Novosti

Go Putin :thumb: :thumb::thumb:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles