2010 FIFA World Cup

Rage

DFI TEAM
Qualification is no easy task, and you shouldn't argue with some one especially if you're supporting Indian soccer. You're not going to win. Bolstering your argument by including "middle-ranked teams" to this pathetic low tiered tournament is quite sad.
LMAO! "Qualification is no easy task". Then by that measure, we too are on par with your ;home country; given that we too qualified, but withdrew, on two occasions from the FIFA World Cup.

My argument is well "bolstered", given that the last two years have seen some regular successes in Indian football from their previous dismal performances, even though they may be, for now, in "pathetic low tiered tournaments" be that as it may. India has dominated the AFC, had Dempo reach the semi finals in the President's Cup, and are dominating the SAFF now. Therefore, your argument that they "are not going to win" is quite sad, and stinks of resident resentment, given that your own sinopuffs can only claim little to no marginal successes themselves.

India national football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Japan has reached the round of 16 of the World Cup (no easy task). But to address your point, China and Japan are regular foes in the Asian Cup (the real one with premier teams in Asia). They have met before in the Finals.
LMAO! China have been perennial 'contenders' indeed, but their successes have largely been limited to just that. Again, we have not participated because of poor management on the part of our gurus, not because of any inherent lack of talent. The only time we did participate, we made it to the semi-finals. In any case, our win at the "pathetic, low tiered" Asia Challenger's Cup has granted us a place in the 2011 Asia Cup, so we will wait and see.

Yeh, the last time the Japs and the chinese faced off in a final, chinese fans rioted at the Beijing Worker's Stadium after the japs won that 3-1, allegedly because of 'corrupt officiating' by the refs (LMAO) even though the match was held in Beijing itself, and because of "historical tensions arising from several military conflicts between the two countries".

Interestingly, wikipedia says that although China have gone head-to-head against Korea in about 30 games since 1950, they've never won a single match.

no smoking

Country flag
Cesc Fabregas, Xavi Alonso, Xavi Hernandes and David Silva in midfield. What more do you need? Alonso is better than Senna.
They are all attacking middle fielder not defender. They need a player providing protection by doing the dirty work--chasing the opposite, tackling and marking. None of the players in your list have ever do these work in the club.

Germany and Italy play well in the world cup irrespective of the quality of their team, and Germany BTW is quite good this year. Brazil & Germany are my 2 semi-finalists out of the 4.
Italy--too old, most of key players in the team are over 30+ and far from their peak.

Germany-- they have muscle, spririte, discipline but no genious. The worst is that they have not found the a leader like Beckenbauer or Summer. Black is just a scecond choice.

no smoking

Country flag
LMAO! "Qualification is no easy task". Then by that measure, we too are on par with your ;home country; given that we too qualified, but withdrew, on two occasions from the FIFA World Cup.

My argument is well "bolstered", given that the last two years have seen some regular successes in Indian football from their previous dismal performances, even though they may be, for now, in "pathetic low tiered tournaments" be that as it may. India has dominated the AFC, had Dempo reach the semi finals in the President's Cup, and are dominating the SAFF now. Therefore, your argument that they "are not going to win" is quite sad, and stinks of resident resentment, given that your own sinopuffs can only claim little to no marginal successes themselves.

India national football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LMAO! China have been perennial 'contenders' indeed, but their successes have largely been limited to just that. Again, we have not participated because of poor management on the part of our gurus, not because of any inherent lack of talent. The only time we did participate, we made it to the semi-finals. In any case, our win at the "pathetic, low tiered" Asia Challenger's Cup has granted us a place in the 2011 Asia Cup, so we will wait and see.

Yeh, the last time the Japs and the chinese faced off in a final, chinese fans rioted at the Beijing Worker's Stadium after the japs won that 3-1, allegedly because of 'corrupt officiating' by the refs (LMAO) even though the match was held in Beijing itself, and because of "historical tensions arising from several military conflicts between the two countries".

Interestingly, wikipedia says that although China have gone head-to-head against Korea in about 30 games since 1950, they've never won a single match.
We all know the top teams in Asia are: Japan, South Korea, Australia, Saudi Arab. China is just among the second-class. So, using the fact that china cannot beat South korea doesnot prove anthing about india.

Koji

It is a combination of lack of talent and poor management. Care to enlighten me of any players of Indian origin playing in Europe?

Recent international matches has seen India go down to lowly Hong Kong, Lebanon etc..We can't blame that to poor management. Bringing up domination of football in South Asia isn't a strong argument. That region of the world belongs in the category as the worst sporting region ever. The heavy hitters in Asia are in the middle east, East Asia, and Australia. Unless the Indian national team or club teams can compete on a consistent basis, then I suggest you drop your argument.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Care to enlighten me of any players of Indian origin playing in Europe?

Yeh, I do care to enlighten you.

Bhaichung Bhutia played for Bury FC in the UK for 1999-2002, and also signed up to Malaysia's Perak.

Other players of Indian origin that play for foreign clubs are Michael Chopra for Newcastle, Vikas Dhorasoo for Paris St. Germain (born to Indian parents on the Island of Mauritius), and Netan Sansaara for Walsall's U-18.

Hit the Indian diaspora, and you've got Chelsea recruiting Jai Singh Dhillon (under-14) from Hitchin, Jordan Sadhu (under-13) from Ilford and London's Aameer Kstantin Murphy (under-12).

Going back into thenaydays, Mohammad Saleem played for Celtic FC. On his debut, he played in bare bandaged feet in , and the sonofab%tch so astonished the Celtic players that they knicknamed him the 'wicked winger'. Are you still talking?

Recent international matches has seen India go down to lowly Hong Kong, Lebanon etc..
You mean the international friendly that India lost to HongKong 1-2.

Bhutia scores but India lose to underrated Hong Kong

Interestingly "lowly" HongKong shocked South Korea not so long ago, a team against whom you still have to open your account in all of 32 matches and 59 years.

Unfancied Hong Kong shock S.Korea - Top Stories - Football - Sports - The Times of India

Bringing up domination of football in South Asia isn't a strong argument. That region of the world belongs in the category as the worst sporting region ever. The heavy hitters in Asia are in the middle east, East Asia, and Australia.
So? You've got to start somewhere.

As for "heavy hitters from the Middle East",

Matured India retain Nehru Cup

(FIFA.com) Tuesday 1 September 2009

India goalkeeper Subrata Paul was the hero as the host nation held their nerve to retain the Nehru Cup winning 5-4 on penalties against Syria at New Delhi's Ambedkar Stadium on Monday.

Despite losing to Lebanon by a solitary goal in the opener, India bounced back to reach the final of the five-nation tournament with wins over Kyrgyzstan and Sri Lanka. Meanwhile, it was Syria that went into the tournament decider with an unblemished record that including a solitary-goal victory over the hosts two days prior.

Second-time around proved a different story altogether. Following a goalless 90 minutes, the hosts went ahead eight minutes into the second period of extra time, with Renedy Singh curling in a well-taken free-kick. Despite the agony of conceding so late, the Syrians showed impressive resolve to equalise as Ali Diab headed home a minute from time to force the penalty shoot-out.

Having excelled throughout the campaign, India's young custodian Paul went on to produce some of the tournaments finest saves when his country needed him most. Although Renedy missed the target and Mehrajuddin Wadoo's shot was saved, the 22-year-old bravely denied Wael Ayan and Ahmad Haj Mohamad, and after Irungbam Surkumar put India ahead, Paul kept his cool to save from Hamzeh Al Attounim to seal India's dramatic triumph.

Houghton hails progress

Paul's sublime display didn't go unappreciated by India coach Bob Houghton, who was quick to acknowledge the talent displayed by his goalkeeper. "Again Subrata was brilliant for us and he had an outstanding tournament," said the former China and Uzbekistan boss who assumed the reigns of the world's second most populace nation in 2006.

Under the Englishman, India made history two years ago when they ran out 1-0 winners over Syria to lift the Nehru Cup trophy as hosts for the first time since the tournament's inception in 1982. Boosted by the ground-breaking success, India went on to claim arguably their greatest success to date by winning last year's AFC Challenge Cup, thus booking their place in the 2011 AFC Asian Cup in Qatar.

"The team has played together for the last three years and they are a matured group now," Houghton stated after the Nehru Cup final. "They play for each other and give everything for the team. Even after conceding the late equaliser and missing two spot kicks, the team came back."

Winning a hat-trick of titles in his three years in charge has provided Houghton and his charges with a timely boost in the build-up to India's first appearance in the AFC Asian Cup since 1984. "We still have our work cut out if we are to do well in the Asian Cup. We will plan to play some good matches to keep the team in good shape."

Dress rehearsal

Like India, Syria also showed impressive form throughout the tournament and despite the second near-miss against the hosts, they showed they are truly a side to be reckoned with.

Under the guidance of Fajer Ebrahim, Syria began brightly with a 2-0 win against Kyrgyzstan. They went on to defeat Sri Lanka 4-0, edging Lebanon 1-0 to book their place in the final, before beating the hosts in the final group match, albeit with the result academic.

"We were unlucky to lose the game as we had created so many chances," said Ebrahim, whose side is seeking to qualify for Qatar 2011 from a group which also features Lebanon, China and Vietnam. "I hope the experiences gained and lessons learned from this campaign will benefit us in the forthcoming Asian Cup qualifiers."

FIFA.com - Matured India retain Nehru Cup

It is a combination of lack of talent and poor management.
And you know more about Indian football than me? Why, because you've played in Indian football teams and in leagues in the Middle East and the West? And 've compared the talent on show and come to the conclusion that it is because of a "lack of talent"?

The issue is entirely because of a lack of proper management, nothing else.

Unless the Indian national team or club teams can compete on a consistent basis, then I suggest you drop your argument.
Here's the thing: Indians can now look to playing for Asian football clubs

Now, here's my advice to you: unless you've got something better to add, shut your gob and flee.

And one more thing: you've got 15 more days before you prove to me that you're from Japan and are studying at Okinawa or wherever the $hit you came from. Or I will bring down H E L L and high water on you.

Koji

I don't have **** to prove to you.

Your last link? More than proved my point.

"The Indians can at best get into the lower division clubs, but even there they can’t be sure of a regular place."

The quotation is referring to your top players, who can't even make it to the top flights of the international soccer? Bury? Coventry? The only respectable mention was Celtic FC and even then that was a good 80 years ago.

Read more: http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/lifestyle/indians-can-now-look-to-playing-for-asian-football-clubs_100152390.html#ixzz0ZIcqn9Y6"

Furthermore...the Nehru Cup? Can there be a more pathetic gathering of football nations?
Countries that participated: India, Sri Lanka, Lebanon, Syria and Kyrgyzstan.

Not one of those countries is a traditional heavy-hitter from the Middle-East. When India plays well against Iran, Saudi-Arabia, and even Iraq, then come back and talk.

You're excuse for India losing to Hong Kong is that South Korea did the same? South Korea, let me remind you, is going to the World Cup in 2010, and progressed to the semi-finals in 2002. Let's see India accomplish that. Better yet, let's see India win a few games in the Qualification stage.

Rage

DFI TEAM
I don't have **** to prove to you.
Then prepare to PACK YOUR BAGS, 'Koji'. Cuz this year, Merry Krampus is comin' for you.

Your last link? More than proved my point.

"The Indians can at best get into the lower division clubs, but even there they can’t be sure of a regular place."

My last link more than disproved your point.

Did your vapid, weak eyes fail to see this?

"Some overseas clubs have already shown interest in Pradeep, Chettri and Steven Dias. While Chettri went to England for trials at Coventry City, Pradeep and Dias are in touch withclubs in Europe and the United States."

Ergo, NOT a lack of talent.

The quotation is referring to your top players, who can't even make it to the top flights of the international soccer? Bury? Coventry? The only respectable mention was Celtic FC and even then that was a good 80 years ago.
Are you tryin' to save your sorry a$$ ****face? You asked for which players played for European clubs, I gave them to you. Now stop tryin to ramble $hit you know nothing about.

Coventry have been 34 years in the first tier in the Premier League. Bury have several honours including a 1997 win in Football League 1.

Are you still talkin about a "lack of talent", ****head?

Furthermore...the Nehru Cup? Can there be a more pathetic gathering of football nations?
Countries that participated: India, Sri Lanka, Lebanon, Syria and Kyrgyzstan.

Not one of those countries is a traditional heavy-hitter from the Middle-East. When India plays well against Iran, Saudi-Arabia, and even Iraq, then come back and talk.

The Nehru Cup. Are you shittin' me 'koji'? The Nehru Cup has seen participation from countries from all over the Middle East, Latin America, Europe, Asia and the FSU, including Argentina: yes, that team that occupied football's loftiest peak in 1986.

You might want to read this, you peregrinated pachyderm:

"With the notable exception of Maradona, most players in the Argentine 1986 World Cup-winning line-up were in Kolkata for the 1984 Nehru Cup. Goalkeeper Nery Pumpido, defender Jose Lu*is Brown, midfielder Sergio Batista and striker Jorge Burruchaga, to name a few, appeared along side many talen*ted youngsters as part of a combination Bilardo was trying out in India.

The 1984 Nehru Cup provided a ne*ar-perfect platform for Argentina’s preparations for the biggest event in the game coming up in 1986. It must be said that the reputation of the South American team meant nothing to the then battle-hungry Indian team. The players fought bravely till the very end, going down by the lone goal in the 88th minute of the game. Bilardo was so rattled by In*dia’s display that he often came off the bench to question refereeing decisi*ons and was eventually ordered off the bench into the stands. India had lost to a team that was to occupy football’s loftiest peak — the World Cup — in 1986. The performance of the team was credit-worthy and it was not until the 1993 edition of the Ne*hru Cup in Chennai that the national team was able to come up with a compa*rable performance."

You're excuse for India losing to Hong Kong is that South Korea did the same? South Korea, let me remind you, is going to the World Cup in 2010, and progressed to the semi-finals in 2002. Let's see India accomplish that. Better yet, let's see India win a few games in the Qualification stage.
You dissemble like a f%ckin' pro, 'Koji'. My "excuse" was to convey to your thick skull that despite being "lowly", "unfancied" HongKong routed the $hit out of "highly-ranked" Korea 4-1.

Let me remind you that Korea does not have to deal with pathetic management, third-class infrastructure and a bumbling bureaucracy.

Talking about "gettin' past the qualifikation stage", let's see Korea get past the first stage in the East Asian Games. Opps! wait! they can't.

Japan, Hong Kong advance to East Asian Games final - - SI.com

Koji

The Nehru Cup. Are you shittin' me 'koji'? The Nehru Cup has seen participation from countries from all over the Middle East, Latin America, Europe, Asia and the FSU, including Argentina: yes, that team that occupied football's loftiest peak in 1986.

You dissemble like a f%ckin' pro, 'Koji'. My "excuse" as to convey to your thick skull that despite being "lowly", "unfancied" HongKong routed the $hit out of "highly-ranked" Korea 4-1.

Talking about "gettin' past the qualifikation stage", let's see Korea get past the first stage in the East Asian Games. Opps! wait! they can't.

Japan, Hong Kong advance to East Asian Games final - - SI.com

East Asian Games huh? This a competition that no Football Federation cares about. South Korea and Japan both sent their B/C teams. It doesn't reflect an accurate representation of football prowess, reminicent of football in the Olympics.

In addition, the link you posted about the Nehru cup that India won had the following teams participate:
India, Sri Lanka, Lebanon, Syria and Kyrgyzstan

5 teams! Can that even be called a cup?

Rage

DFI TEAM
East Asian Games huh? This a competition that no Football Federation cares about. South Korea and Japan both sent their B/C teams. It doesn't reflect an accurate representation of football prowess, reminicent of football in the Olympics.
Let's see:

Korea's participation in the 2009 East Asia Cup:

Translating this quickly into English

내셔널리그 선발팀, 동아시아 경기대회 한국선발로 출전

내 셔널리그(회장 송재병) 선발팀이 2009년도 12월 2일부터 홍콩에서 개최되는 제5회 동아시아 경기대회에 한국축구 대표팀으로 참가하며, 내셔널리그 부산교통공사 박상인 감독이 선발팀 감독으로 선임됐다. 내셔널리그 연맹은 지난 26일 대한축구협회로부터 제5회 동아시아 경기대회 축구대표팀으로 내셔널리그 선발팀 참가를 통보받았으며, 28일 11시 감독선임 위원회를 소집하여 부산교통공사의 박상인 감독을 선발팀 감독으로 결정했다.

선 발팀 감독에 선임된 박상인 감독은 전, 청소년대표팀 감독을 역임하고 현역시절에는 독일 뒤스부르크와 국가대표 선수로 활약했다. 2006년부터 부산교통공사의 지휘봉을 잡고 있으며, 2006년 베트남 BTB 국제대회우승, 2008년도 내셔널리그 4강, 2009년도 내셔널리그 전기리그 준우승의 성적을 거두며 좋은 성적과 경험을 위원회에서는 높이 평가했다.

제 5회 동아시아 경기대회는 총 18명의 선수가 참가 할 예정이며, 감독이 선수와 코치를 선발하여 9월 2일 위원회에서 최종 승인 후 대한축구협회로 최종명단을 제출키로 하였다. 내셔널리그 선발팀 감독에 선임된 박상인 감독은 “최고 실력의 선수선발을 통해 대회 우승으로 대한민국 축구는 물론 내셔널리그의 향상된 경기력을 선보이며 내셔널리그의 위상을 함께 높이겠다”는 선임 소감을 밝혔다.

교보생명 2009 내셔널리그는 11월 7일 정규리그를 종료하고, 선발팀은 11월 중순부터 합숙훈련을 통해 대회 출전을 위한 준비를 할 예정이다.

[저스트풋볼] 심재민 기자([email protected])
????? - ??? ???? ???? ??

,I see: The KFA and the National League have agreed that an "all-star" National League select side will represent South Korea's interests at football during the 2009 East Asian Games this December in Hong Kong.

""For Japan and Korea, we both have a lot of experience and players who have played overseas and learned how to play the same way as the Europeans do,'' Park said. "In the past, there wasn't such a big difference between us and the rest of Asia but over the last few years we have spent a lot of money on football."
East Asian Games football previews WCup - - SI.com
East Asian Games football previews WCup - USATODAY.com

Other than Park Ji-Sung, virtually all of those who participated in the 2010 WC Qualifiers, players from Bucheon who are atleast European League level, including stryker Go Min-Gi were included.

Intriguingly, this was supposed to form part of Korea's preparation for the WC. But just as they did the last time, they fudged out:

John Duerden reports from Seoul, South Korea on the pressure mounting on under-fire coach Jo Bonfrere

"Disgrace","No strategy!" and "Time to go", were some of the more restrained headlines in the Korean media after a week of poor results in the East Asian Football Cup.

Inevitably, the accompanying pictures showed Coach Jo Bonfrere looking more forlorn than usual as his players failed to beat either China or North Korea and were defeated by Japan - all on home turf.

The competition, won by South Korea in December 2003, was supposed to mark the start of the country's preparations for the World Cup instead it has signalled the beginning of open season against the Dutchman.

It was supposed to be a chance for some of the K-League's young prospects to show what they could do in the absence of European stars like Park Ji-sung and Lee Young-pyo but it demonstrated that without the talented duo, South Korea's midfield lacks creativity and incisiveness.
Korean Football - East Asian Cup :: Soccerphile

In addition, the link you posted about the Nehru cup that India won had the following teams participate:
India, Sri Lanka, Lebanon, Syria and Kyrgyzstan

5 teams! Can that even be called a cup?
That is because it was the second year it was revived you fudgin' idi@t!

The Cup has been ranked 18th among all interdivision and international cups worldwide, and among the best in Asia by the FIFA.

The last time the tournament was held, we made it to the semifinals with iraq, Hungary and Ozbeqistan, before loosing to newly crowned asia- Cup champions Iraq in the last draw.

Rage

DFI TEAM
I also found it prudent to add, that the team participating in the South Asia Football Federation against the national teams of Bangladesh, Burma, Ceylon, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan and the Maldives is not the Indian team, but the India U-23 team, headed not by the national coach, but by the U-23 coach. Furthermore, the team is not even India's strongest U-23 team, five players were rested as the semi-final berth was sealed.

Coming back to the topic of this thread, here's on the selection:

2010 World Cup Final Draw, Groups, Photos and Video

2010 World Cup Final Draw, Groups, Photos and Video RightFielders Women in Sports

At the 18 World Cups that have been played so far a total of 80 countries have assisted. The only one that has been present in all of them has been Brazil, which also is the team that has won more Cups at the tournament. Each delivers new global performances, new surprises and the most important event of Football in the World. Read on for the latest news about this major global event plus photos and video below.

The balls rolled, the hands of the beautiful South African Charlize Theron and British hottie David Beckham chose the groups, destiny becomes infatuated and the groups in South Africa 2010 World Cup are already known.

So many people talked about "Groups of Death" and the draw for the World Cup really did not throw one group particularly in this category. Although one group should promise to be exciting might be group G with Brazil (19 times in the World Cup, please note the number on each country tells you the times they have participated in the World Cup) as the main protagonist. Brazil is 5 times the World Cup champions and favorites not just for fans in Latin America but around the globe.

But in South Africa 2010 the team of the Samba will face Portugal (5) and Côte d’Ivoire (2) and can not trust North Korea (2), even though they are an opponent a bit unknown. The controversy will be between Brazil and Portugal, strong teams that will have to kill each other to get the second ticket to the knockout stage. What will be ironic is that Kaka will face with his Real Madrid teammate Cristiano Ronaldo.

The history changed for Argentina (15) after the two previous World Cups where they had to fight with blood and fire in authentic "Groups of Death". Now in this World Cup they will face Nigeria (4) and Greece (2), teams which they have to confront and defeat in the World Cup of 1994 in the U.S., now also added to Group B is South Korea (8).

Another interesting group is A, with the host South Africa (3). No local has been left out in the first round, but it will be difficult to inaugurate the tournament with Mexico (14) and a pair of former champions France (13) and Uruguay (11).

Group C also throws the match between England (13) and USA (9), which it will be measured after the great victory of the Americans in Brazil in 1950, and those that were added are Algeria (3) and Slovenia (2) .

Germany (17) could be facing a tremendous group which would be the D, Australia (3) they did a great job at Germany 2006 arrived at the knockout stage, while downplaying dangerous rivals such as Serbia (1) that gave a hard time to France and Ghana (2).

Then the group E with the Netherlands (9) and Cameroon (6) that are favorites, but Denmark (4) and Japan (4) have a full stop to offer better emotions. Holland currently achieving their ticket to the World Cup almost no muss, bet that both Denmark and Cameroon will fight until the end to not sit out the first chance, and Japan appears as Cinderella.

In group F we have in Italy (17) who heads the group as the favorite, with Paraguay (8) that no account at this time to level with other Latin American teams like Chile. New Zealand (2) and Slovakia (1) As seen Italy will have no problem with any of his mates.

Ultimately, group F with Spain (13) will have no rival who could be regarded as dangerous, among these are Chile (8), Honduras (2) and Switzerland (9).

Well Here they are, The 8 groups for this 2010 World cup. I also wanted to share with you the points each country has and its place in the world rankings.

Group A
South Africa 6 place with 377 points, Mexico 15 place with 931 points, Uruguay 19 and 901 points and France 7 place with 1122 points.
Group B
Argentina 8 place with 1085 points, Nigeria 22 place with 848 points, South Korea 52 sites with 625 points, Greece 12 place with 1028 points.
Group C
England 9 place with 1063 points, USA 14 place with 980 points, Algeria 28 place with 823 points, Slovenia 33 place with 756 points.
Group D
Germany 6 place with 1170 points, Australia 21 place with 863 points, Serbia 20 place with 900 points, Ghana 37 place with 739 points.
Group E
Netherlands 3 place with 1279 points, Denmark 26 place with 835 points, Japan 43 place with 709 points, Cameroon 11th place with 1035 points.
Group F
Italy 4 place with 1215 points, Paraguay 30 place with 816 points, New Zealand 77 sites with 433 points, Slovakia 34 place with 755 points.
Group G
Brasil 2nd place with 1592 points, 84 North Korean place with 399 points, Côte d’Ivoire 16 place with 927 points, Portugal 5 place with 1181 points.
Group H
Spain 1 place with 1622 points, Switzerland 18 place with 924 points, Honduras 38 place with 738 points, Chile 17 place with 926 points.

With every World Cup we find new hosts, new countries, players and much more, and two aspects that couldn’t be left out is the new mascot and the new official ball.

Holding on with the spirit of Telstar, Tango, or the more contemporary Tricolore Teamgeist, this World Cup at South Africa brings Jabulani.

This sphere whose name means "elephant", "celebrate". According to the German sports firm Adidas, who produced the ball, Jabulani is more of a round ball that has never seen the film debuted in the match between Bayern Munich and Borussia Monchengladbach, this ball has worked for four years and subjected to various and detailed tests to prove its excellence. As we were introduced to the 2010 World cup mascot Zakumi friendly yellow Leopard with green hair, whose name comes from Za for South Africa and Kumi from 10 (as 2010). Zakumi was created by South Africa Andries Odendaal and the outfit by Cora Simpson of Cora’s Costumes.

"Zakumi represents the people, geography and spirit of South Africa, personifying in essence the 2010 FIFA World Cup We are Certain we will have a lot of fun with him in the lead-up to and during the FIFA Confederations Cup and the FIFA World Cup, "said FIFA Secretary General Jérôme Valcke.

The truth is that this World Cup comes with many surprises, joy, music, powerful teams, incredible personalities as the amazing South African president Nelson Mandela loved by everyone and someone whose effort and love for South Africa, made his country today’s World Cup host.

In fact Nelson Mandela’s charm, kindness and tremendous effort has even been the inspiration for many and even has been brought on a film, that tells the story about him standing up for his country. That is how Academy Winner Actor and director Clint Eastwood in directing the motion Picture “Invictus”, starring Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon. Don’t miss this movie it will totally take your breath away.

The countdown has begun and we can’t wait until June to be here soon so we can join to the greatest celebration of Soccer in the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amMAqNklRqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6vHRJ_i-PA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNJfQDGJppk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3CgnmCUE7s

Pintu

AFP: US, Honduras to meet in World Cup tuneup

US, Honduras to meet in World Cup tuneup

(AFP) – 1 day ago

CHCIAGO — United States will conclude a January training camp for the 2010 World Cup by facing fellow qualifier Honduras in a January 23 friendly at Los Angeles, the US Soccer Federation announced Tuesday.

North American-based talent will likely dominate both rosters as club teams do not have to release players for the match, which pits two regional rivals who together with Mexico advanced from CONCACAF qualifying last October.

The Americans, preparing for a sixth consecutive World Cup appearance, will face England on June 12 in their opener in South Africa and also face Slovenia and Algeria in first-round matches.

Honduras, which qualified for the first time since 1982, will open June 16 against Chile and also face Spain and Switzerland.

"Obviously we know the quality of the Honduran team very well and we think the match is a great way to start the year as we commence preparations for the World Cup," US coach Bob Bradley said.

Pintu

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-Wayne-Rooney-injured/articleshow/5745094.cms

England star striker Wayne Rooney injured
AFP, Mar 31, 2010, 03.53am IST

BERLIN: With just over two months until the World Cup, England's star striker Wayne Rooney sustained an ankle injury on Tuesday at the end of Manchester United's Champions League clash with Bayern Munich.

Rooney, one of the world's top players this season with a stunning 34 goals for United, hobbled off from the Allianz Arena in Munich following a clash with German international striker Mario Gomez.

The injury is not just bad news for England, but also for club side United who face title challengers Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday.

The injury capped a disappointing evening for United, who led for long periods of their Champions League quarter-final first leg before being stunned by two late goals from the German giants.

Rooney sustained an injury a few months before the previous World Cup in 2006, and, while he played, he had a disappointing tournament.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "He's got a kick in the ankle, we'll just have to see tomorrow (Wednesday). Let's hope it's not too serious. He may be doubtful for Saturday. It's too early to say.

"He's being treated by our medics at the moment. We'll see what it's like tomorrow."

plugwater

Group A Analysis

No easy pickings for Bafana Bafana

Though most neutrals will hope to see South Africa go far in the 2010 FIFA World Cupâ„¢, Bafana Bafana may be hard-pressed to escape from a Group A filled with experienced campaigners. The hosts will open the tournament against Mexico and then have to go through two-time champions Uruguay as well as 2006 runners-up France to keep local supporters happy and make the second round. Les Bleus, who won the competition on home soil in 1998, appear to be group favourites, but Raymond Domenech's side only reached the finals through the European play-offs, squeaking past the Republic of Ireland. Uruguay also qualified via a play-off, a transcontinental affair against Costa Rica, while Mexico finished second in CONCACAF behind USA. For South Africa, the lowest-ranked African team at the time of the draw, the road will be rough, yet with experienced boss Carlos Alberto Parreira back in charge, there is cause for optimism that the side can continue the record of every FIFA World Cup host getting at least to the second round.

The favourites
France: An up-and-down qualifying campaign saw the French lose out in their group to Serbia by a point. Their away form was poor, from going down 3-1 to Austria in their first match to drawing at Romania and Serbia. They also struggled to get past Ireland in the play-off, with only William Gallas's extra-time goal avoiding penalties or worse. However, nobody will underestimate a side that has veteran, emerging and world-class talent through the spine of the team.

Mexico: 2010 will be El Tri's fifth successive finals appearance and they exited each of the last four events in the second round. Opening the tournament against the hosts will be no small task, but a budding crop of youngsters such as Giovani dos Santos and Carlos Vela may give the side enough pep to reach the quarter-finals for the first time since 1986. Mexico, who were a seeded team at Germany 2006, went out to Argentina in the second round yet only after Maxi Rodriguez's extra time Goal of the Tournament.

The outsiders
South Africa: It has been a tumultuous few years for South Africa, but a creditable performance at the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup, the prelude to this summer, has set expectations high going into Group A. Their semi-final loss to Brazil in that event, and subsequent single-goal, extra-time defeat by Spain in the third-place match, show that the hosts can compete at the highest level. And though they have fallen at the group stage in their two FIFA World Cup appearances, they have lost just two of their six finals matches. All eyes will be on dynamic England-based midfielder Steven Pienaar to create chances.

Uruguay: Having advanced to the finals for a third time via the play-offs, Uruguay will be contesting their 11th FIFA World Cup. Yet while the Celeste have one of the richest histories in world football, coach Oscar Tabarez has built a relatively young side that relies on a core group of players. Tabarez has been at the Uruguay helm before at a FIFA World Cup, having led the team in 1990 when they succumbed to hosts Italy in the second round.

The players to watch
Steven Pienaar (RSA), Aaron Mokoena (RSA), Cuauhtemoc Blanco (MEX), Rafael Márquez (MEX), Giovanni dos Santos (MEX), Thierry Henry (FRA), Nicolas Anelka (FRA), William Gallas (FRA), Diego Lugano (URU), Diego Forlán (URU)

The crunch match
Mexico-Uruguay: Come their final group match, Mexico and Uruguay may be fighting for a spot alongside France in the second round, as they face off at Rustenburg's Royal Bafokeng Stadium on 22 June. The pair last met when Mexico beat Uruguay to finish third in the Copa América in 2007.

A look back
France-South Africa, 12 June 1998: France opened their second FIFA World Cup as hosts against tournament debutants South Africa in Marseille. With both sides having points to prove, the night belonged to Les Bleus who registered a momentum-setting 3-0 victory en route to lifting the trophy.

Did you know?
Mexico's Javier Aguirre also coached Mexico at the 2002 finals where they lost in the second round to USA. The former Mexican international midfielder took over midstream in the qualifying campaign, in April 2009, from Sven-Göran Eriksson. He had also come to the rescue after poor results in 2001.

The stat
5 – Carlos Alberto Parreira will equal Bora Milutinovic's record of coaching five different teams to FIFA World Cups when he leads out the hosts. Parreira, who won the event with his native Brazil in 1994, has also managed Kuwait, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia in the finals.

There is also a curious historical slant to Group A which will interest the hosts. Back in 1966, when England staged the finals, Alf Ramsey's team were joined in Group 1 by Mexico, Uruguay and France.

The question
Can South Africa overcome the odds and survive Group A?

plugwater

Group B Analysis

Group B stirs ghosts of '94
The Final Draw for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africaâ„¢ has pitted two-time winners Argentina against Nigeria, Korea Republic and Greece in Group B. It is a section that stirs memories of the 1994 finals in the United States – and one that appears, on paper at least, to be difficult to predict.

The favourites
Argentina: Despite their inconsistent showing in South American qualifying, the potential of Diego Maradona's squad remains vast given the plethora of world-class talents at his disposal. The greatest challenge for this relatively inexperienced coach will be knitting these proven individuals into a cohesive and reliable unit, something he has been unable to do thus far. That said, La Albiceleste's big names and status as former winners make them favourites to top the section.

Nigeria: Though lacking as many household names as in previous FIFA World Cup outings, coach Shaibu Amodu can call on a balanced squad made up of experienced performers and up-and-coming starlets. Having shown they were made of stern stuff in African Zone qualifying, when snatching a berth from Tunisia's hands in the final round of matches, the Super Eagles will feel confident of competing for a last-16 berth, the furthest they have gone at a finals to date.

The outsiders
Korea Republic: Under the steady guidance of coach Huh Jung-Moo, the South Koreans were less than imperious during the qualifying phase, though they did end up topping their group in the final round. Clinching a ticket to South Africa means they will become the Asian team with most appearances at the global showpiece, though doubts remain over their ability to transfer their regional dominance on to the biggest stage of all. With their experience and all-action style they could make a serious challenge for a top-two place, though a repeat of their run to the 2002 semi-finals would appear beyond them.

Greece: The archetypal 'hard nut to crack' under Otto Rehhagel, the 2004 European champions return to world football's top table for the first time since their debut in 1994. Solid at the back and clinical up front, King Otto's well-drilled charges will be determined to avoid a repeat of that American adventure, which brought three straight defeats. What is more, confidence should be high in the Greek camp after they edged out 2006 quarter-finalists Ukraine in the European Zone play-offs.

The players to watch
Lionel Messi (ARG), Javier Mascherano (ARG), Carlos Tevez (ARG), Juan Veron (ARG), Park Ji-Sung (KOR), Park Chu-Young (KOR), Obafemi Martins (NIG), Aiyegbeni Yakubu (NIG), Georgios Karagounis (GRE) and Theofanis Gekas (GRE).

The crunch match
Argentina-Nigeria: Both these big-name sides only clinched their tickets to South Africa with wins in their final qualifiers and their meeting in Group B's opening encounter could well shape their respective fates. History is currently on the side of the Argentinians, who won both previous group meetings between the two nations at FIFA World Cup finals: 2-1 at USA 1994 and 1-0 at Korea/Japan 2002.

A look back
Greece-Nigeria, 30 June 1994
In the countries' final Group D match at USA '94, goals from Finidi George and Daniel Amokachi earned Nigeria a 2-0 win over Greece, sealing top spot in the section ahead of Bulgaria and Argentina. The Super Eagles went on to push eventual finalists Italy all the way in the Round of 16, going down to a 2-1 defeat after extra time. Greece, for their part, headed for home after failing to score a single goal in their three games.

Did you know?
Maradona will make his FIFA World Cup coaching bow against Nigeria, the same team he faced in his last finals appearance as a player at USA '94. It that same campaign on American soil he registered his eighth and final FIFA World Cup goal and his last in an Albiceleste shirt, in the 4-0 win over Greece. He was subsequently sent home from the tournament after failing a drugs test. El Diez will also have fond memories of playing against Korea Republic, who were beaten 3-1 in Argentina's opening match of their triumphant 1986 campaign.

The stat
25 - The combined number of FIFA World Cups that the four teams drawn in Group B have taken part in. Argentina lead the way with 14, followed by Korea Republic with seven, Nigeria with three and Greece with one.

The question
He was a FIFA World Cup hero for Argentina as a player but how will Maradona fare as a coach on football's greatest stage?

plugwater

Group C Analysis

England hope to avoid US repeat

England go into their 13th FIFA World Cupâ„¢ as not just Group C's main attraction but as overwhelming favourites to finish top. Yet they may not have things their own way. The USA have upset England before and they will be hopeful of making progress – the Americans have a depth of quality and experience that puts them in a different league from the college kids who travelled to Italia 90 with the Stars 'n' Stripes two decades ago. Slovenia, making their second FIFA World Cup appearance, and Algeria, their third, complete the section – but will be determined to do much more than make up the numbers.

The favourites
England: The Three Lions have never won the FIFA World Cup on foreign soil but travel to South Africa believing the adventure will go beyond the quarter-finals this time. Confidence is high after an impressive qualifying campaign from Fabio Capello's side who finished as 34-goal top scorers in the European Zone, winning nine of ten matches. Wayne Rooney hit nine goals and can have a galvanising effect – indeed, while his World Cup bow four years ago ended with a red card against Portugal the same thing happened to Diego Maradona and look how he responded. Add the Capello factor – the Italian has brought discipline and focus – and England will expect to win this group and prosper.

USA: The United States contest their sixth successive finals and will fancy their chances of advancing from the group stage for the first time since their quarter-final run in 2002. Bob Bradley's team can also take heart from their efforts at the FIFA Confederations Cup on South African soil in 2009 – they stunned Spain in the semi-finals and led Brazil 2-0 in the final before succumbing 3-2. They will hope centre-back Oguchi Onyewu will have recovered from his knee injury in time to join a squad that will again look to Landon Donovan for attacking inspiration in his third FIFA World Cup.

The outsiders
Algeria: The North Africans are back on the world stage after a 24-year absence following their play-off victory over Egypt. Rabah Saadane's side – who had eliminated Senegal in the second African qualifying round – boast top-level European experience in their ranks, including midfielder Karim Ziani at German champions Wolfsburg and pacy left-back Nadir Belhadj at English club Portsmouth. Antar Yahia, the match-winner against Egypt, will face Bochum colleague Zlatko Dedic in an opening match against Slovenia in Polokwane that both countries will consider their best chance of three points.

Slovenia: Matjaz Kek's team were surprise play-off winners over Russia, Dedic's second-leg strike earning them victory on away goals after a 2-1 reverse in Moscow. Their first major tournaments as an independent nation came at UEFA EURO 2000 and Korea/Japan 2002 but their current squad lacks that know-how, though captain Robert Koren needs no introduction to England as he plays his football at West Bromwich Albion. Their main attacking threat is Milivoje Novakovic, based in Germany with FC Cologne, who hit five goals as they finished second behind Slovakia in their qualifying group.

The players to watch
Wayne Rooney (ENG), Frank Lampard (ENG), Landon Donovan (USA), Tim Howard (USA), Karim Ziani (ALG), Robert Koren (SVN).

The crunch match
England-USA: England will aim to stamp their authority on the group in what, on paper, looks their trickiest test in the pool opener in Rustenburg on 12 June. The countries' historical and cultural ties will make it eagerly anticipated on both sides of the Atlantic.

A look back
England-USA, 29 June 1950: In their first tournament England suffered their biggest upset on the world stage when Joe Gaetjens' first-half goal earned a ragtag American team a 1-0 victory in Belo Horizonte. One newspaper in Britain assumed the 0-1 score had to be wrong and printed that England had won 10-1.

Did you know?
Algeria have never met England but held Northern Ireland 1-1 when facing another British team at Mexico 1986.

The stat
10 – England have negotiated the group stage successfully on their last ten FIFA World Cup appearances.

The question
At first glance, England and USA look strong favourites to advance but could Algeria or Slovenia spring a surprise? Both did so in their qualifying play-offs but repeating it in South Africa may prove difficult.

plugwater

Group D Analysis

Germany face early test of mettle

'Group of death' may be a well-worn tournament standard but it is an epithet that could apply to this section. Germany, who share the record for most FIFA World Cupâ„¢ finals with Brazil, will cast a shadow over their rivals' preparations given their tradition of high achievement at this level. Yet the semi-finalists from 2006 were hardly alone in taking the fast lane to South Africa, with Australia, Ghana and Serbia all reigning supreme in their qualifying pools. The first two of those sides also gave eye-catching performances four years ago and are unlikely to stand on ceremony here, while Serbia's talent production has never been in doubt.

The favourites
Germany: Joachim Low's team are not top seeds for nothing. They showed their form in a clinical and unyielding Group 4 qualifying campaign in which the seven-goal Miroslav Klose, Michael Ballack and company accounted for Guus Hiddink's Russia. Given also their seemingly effortless march to the last UEFA European Championship final, in 2008, you can expect another show of class from the seven-time FIFA World Cup finalists and three-time winners.

Ghana: As the first African team to reach the 2010 finals and their continent's only representative in the knockout rounds of the last FIFA World Cup – when they made an impressive tournament debut – Ghana arguably merit the tag of second favourites in this pool. Coach Milovan Rajevac's Black Stars easily navigated the final round of African qualification, losing a goal and a game only after the job was done. The midfield trio of Michael Essien, Sulley Muntari and Stephen Appiah could make them a match for anyone.

The outsiders
Serbia: Radomir Antic's men were last out of the hat in the Group D draw but should not be taken lightly. The White Eagles beat France to pole position in their qualifying section, earning Serbia's maiden FIFA World Cup appearance as an independent entity with a 5-0 thrashing of Romania. Any side boasting the talents of Nemanja Vidic, Dejan Stankovic and Milan Jovanovic deserves respect; add the historical pedigree of a nation with ten previous FIFA World Cup appearances (as Yugoslavia, and Serbia and Montenegro) and you have definite dark-horse material.

Australia: It took the Socceroos 32 years to regain the world stage they had first trod in 1974. But, four summers on from their impressive showing under Hiddink in Germany, the Australians make a quick return to the elite tournament. Now under the tutelage of another canny Dutchman, Pim Verbeek, this pragmatic and strong-willed outfit made smooth progress through their debut Asian qualification competition after the decision to leave the Oceania group. They finished well clear of Japan in the final stage.

The players to watch
Miroslav Klose (GER), Tim Cahill (AUS), Matthew Amoah (GHA), Michael Essien (GHA), Milan Jovanovic (SRB), Marko Pantelic (SRB)

The crunch match
Ghana-Australia: With Australia starting their campaign against Germany, this match will be central to the hopes of a Socceroos side who, like Ghana, will realistically be targeting second place. It is a game the Black Stars won't want to lose either, given they finish off against Germany.

A look back
Australia-West Germany, 18 June 1974: Hamburg's Volksparkstadion was the stage when the countries met at the 1974 tournament. It was their second outing of the group stage and, perhaps unsurprisingly, the hosts prevailed by 3-0 against the upstarts from Oceania. Wolfgang Overath, Bernd Cullmann and Gerd Mueller scored for the eventual champions. For Australia, there would be the consolation of a point against Chile in their closing encounter.

The stat
4 – Germany have contested four penalty shoot-outs at the FIFA World Cup, winning them all.

Did you know?
Australia goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer may have been born in Sydney but his parents are German and he played for Dynamo Dresden and Kaiserslautern after leaving his home country to try his luck in Europe.

The question
No European nation has lifted the FIFA World Cup trophy on another continent. Can Germany or Serbia achieve a historic first?

plugwater

Group E Analysis

Dutch face contrasting challenges

Group E promises to be one of the tightest in the tournament, bringing together European duo Denmark and the Netherlands, Asian contenders Japan, the first country to book their ticket to South Africa 2010, and an African team returning to their competitive best in Cameroon.

Flawless during the qualifiers and allying sturdiness with their traditional stylish play, the Oranje lie third in the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking and are suitably ambitious. However, Denmark, Cameroon and Japan are all dangerous opponents boasting plenty of major finals knowhow.

No African team boast more FIFA World Cupâ„¢ experience than the Indomitable Lions, and coach Paul Le Guen has turned the side's fortunes around as they gear up for their sixth appearance on the global stage. Samuel Eto'o and Co have rediscovered their confidence and love nothing better than testing themselves in high-profile events. As for Morten Olsen's Denmark, the Nordic aspirants reached at least as far as the Round of 16 on each of their three previous tilts in 1986, 1998 and 2002, while Japan will travel to South Africa on the back of a solid qualifying campaign.

The favourites
Netherlands: Eight games, eight wins was the tally achieved by Bert van Marwijk's troops in Group 9 of the European Zone, the former Feyenoord coach having yet to drop a point in a competitive match. Difficult to break down at the back and blessed with enviable attacking talents, the Dutch have made no secret of ther intention to return home with the Trophy. "We have a mission: to be champions of the world," assistant coach Frank de Boer told FIFA.com, and the team are unlikely to be haunted by their failed campaign in 2006 or the disappointment of their UEFA EURO 2008 bid. The core of the line-up has changed and so have the methods behind the scenes, but the philosophy remains familiar.

Cameroon: The Indomitable Lions have played more games and notched up more points than any other African side at a FIFA World Cup finals. Le Guen looks to have all the right tools to do that proud tradition justice, with deadly marksman Eto'o the focal point of a team also featuring the likes of Jean II Makoun, Achille Emana and Alexandre Song. Their strong finish in qualifying served as a timely reminder that Cameroon remain a powerhouse of the African continent.

The outsiders
Denmark: With the wily Olsen at the helm, Denmark have worked their way back to world football's top table. Absent in 2006 before missing out on UEFA EURO 2008 as well, they sewed up their fourth finals participation with surprising ease, finishing first in a section that also contained Portugal and Sweden. Jon Dahl Tomasson and his colleagues have been reaping the benefits of stability, not to mention the experience gained by key players in some of Europe's leading leagues.

Japan: Back in the Japan dugout after leading the side at France 1998, Takeshi Okada had to rebuild the side and bring through a new generation of players. Through to the main event for the fourth time, the Samurai Blue travel as winners of three of the last five editions of the AFC Asian Cup, and they proved in qualifying that they can harbour serious hopes of progression to the Round of 16. Eliminated after the group stage in 2006, Japan will look to two players tasting success in Europe to improve on that showing in South Africa: Shunsuke Nakamura and youngster Keisuke Honda.

The players to watch
Arjen Robben (NED), Dirk Kuyt (NED), Nicklas Bendtner (DEN), Jon Dahl Tomasson (DEN), Shunsuke Nakamura (JPN), Keisuke Honda (JPN), Samuel Eto'o (CMR), Jean II Makoun (CMR), Alexandre Song (CMR)

The crunch match
On 24 June, Cape Town will host the meeting between Cameroon and the Netherlands, a game which already looks set to be crucial on the road to the Round of 16.

A look back
Denmark-Netherlands, 22 June 1992: This semi-final contest at the 1992 UEFA European Championship pitted surprise late entrants Denmark against Marco van Basten and the holders in Gothenburg. The Oranje were heavy favourites to prevail but quickly found themselves struggling and needed Frank Rijkaard's 86th-minute leveller to take the match into extra time. The scoreline remained locked at 2-2 and the victors had to be decided on penalties, with Denmark keeping their cool to bury every effort and Van Basten failing for the champions. That sent the Scandinavian side through to the showpiece match, where they famously came out on top.

Did you know?
Olsen will be celebrating ten years in charge of the national side next summer. None of his 31 counterparts can claim more experience than that, and Frenchman Le Guen only took over the Cameroon job in July this year.

The stat
76 – Between them, the four teams in Group E have contested 76 FIFA World Cup finals matches. The Netherlands have the most impressive pedigree of all thanks to their 36 outings.

The question
Can Le Guen take Cameroon further than the quarter-finals, where they ultimately came unstuck in 1990?

plugwater

Group F Analysis

Holders may feel underdogs' bite

At first glance, world champions Italy look to be clear favourites to take top spot in Group F, though the race for second place promises to be wide open with Paraguay and Slovakia the probable contenders. Paraguay have the benefit of previous experience at football's top table while the Slovakians were impressive in qualifying. As for New Zealand, Ricki Herbert's men have nothing to lose and will be doing their very best to upset the apple cart.

The favourites
Italy: The reigning champions and four-time FIFA World Cupâ„¢ winners are heading into their 17th finals campaign. Although their squad has changed since their 2006 triumph in Berlin, I Nazionale still depend on stalwarts such as keeper Gianluigi Buffon and veteran centre-back Fabio Cannavaro, as well as Andrea Pirlo and Gennaro Gattuso in midfield and Alberto Gilardino in attack. The Italians will be hoping that they can live up to their billing in South Africa and win consecutive world crowns for the second time in their history.

Paraguay: The Albirroja put in their best-ever qualifying performance to secure a fourth consecutive finals berth, collecting ten wins, three draws and five defeats on the road to South Africa. Paraguay, who are currently 30th in the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Rankings, failed to survive the group stage in 2006, finishing third in behind England and Sweden. The mainstays of Gerardo Martino's side are forwards Salvador Cabanas, Nelson Valdez and Roque Santa Cruz and goalkeeper Justo Villar. They have already crossed paths with Italy once before at the FIFA World Cup finals, slipping to a 2-0 first-round defeat back in 1950.

The outsiders
Slovakia: Currently ranked 34th in the world, Slovakia finished as surprise winners of a tricky European qualifying group containing Slovenia, Czech Republic, Poland and Northern Ireland. Although they are competing in their first finals as an independent nation, they contested eight previous finals campaigns under the banner of the former Czechoslovakia, runners-up in 1934 and 1962. Vladimir Weiss, who has been at the helm since June 2008, has fashioned a tight unit and relies on seasoned stars such as attacking midfielder Marek Mintal and centre-forward Robert Vittek. The vast majority of the squad ply their trade on foreign soil, particularly in the Bundesliga.

New Zealand: The All Whites may have breezed through the Oceania qualifying competition but they will be regarded as the minnows of this tournament. To book their first finals appearance since 1982, they showed commendable mettle in a two-legged play-off against Bahrain, drawing 0-0 away and edging the return 1-0. A disciplined unit with a direct, physical game, New Zealand can go the distance against any side, as Italy found out when scraping a 4-3 friendly victory over the Kiwis earlier this year.

The players to watch
Gianluigi Buffon (ITA), Fabio Cannavaro (ITA), Gennaro Gattuso (ITA), Andrea Pirlo (ITA), Robert Vitteck (SVK), Justo Villar (PAR), Salvador Cabanas (PAR), Ryan Nelsen (NZL)

The crunch match
Italy-Paraguay: The two group favourites will be staking an early claim for top spot when they go head-to-head in their opening match. Nevertheless, Slovakia will have the chance to put pressure on the losers if they can hit the ground running against New Zealand.

A look back
Italy-Czechoslovakia, 10 June 1934: In Rome, Italy captured their first FIFA World Cup by battling to a 2-1 extra-time victory over a tenacious Czechoslovakia team. Although the eastern Europeans had opened the scoring late on through prolific winger Antonin Puc, two Azzurri stars of that era, Raimundo Orsi and Angelo Schiavio, struck back to seal victory for I Nazionale.

Did you know?
Affiliated to FIFA since 1994, Slovakia played their first official match on 20 April 1994, winning 4-1 against Croatia. The first Slovak Republic (1939-45) also achieved victory in their debut match, beating Germany 2-0 on 27 August 1939.

The stat
44 – Italy have won 44 matches at the FIFA World Cup finals, recording 19 draws and just 14 defeats in addition. They have scored 122 goals and conceded 69.

The question
Do Paraguay and Slovakia have what it takes to trouble Italy? And can New Zealand claim a first FIFA World Cup point?

plugwater

Group G Analysis

Three contenders, two tickets

Group G appears the toughest section. Brazil, Côte d'Ivoire and Portugal have all stated their aim is to win the 19th edition of the FIFA World Cupâ„¢. One of them – or two, if Korea DPR can evoke a colossal shock – will miss out on a place in the Round of 16. Enhancing the section's appeal is the three heavyweights' penchant for flair, which can be taken for granted given that Kaka, Didier Drogba and Cristiano Ronaldo, among others, will be parading their genius. We can look forward to 540 minutes of engrossing football.

The favourites
Brazil: The record five-time world champions have regained their unique, irresistible groove under Dunga's tutelage. They will head to South Africa as the Copa America and FIFA Confederations Cup holders as well as the top-ranked in South American qualifying. In Julio Cesar, Brazil have one of the game's best goalkeepers; in Kaka, they have one of its best players. With the likes of Maicon, Robinho and Luis Fabiano complementing them, A Seleção will kick off this examining section as the team to beat.

Portugal: Carlos Queiroz's side may have only scraped through to the finals via a play-off victory over Bosnia-Herzegovina, but the Africa-born coach has copious talent at his disposal. Much of it will come from Cristiano Ronaldo, a player capable of swinging any match. The likely presence in the Portugal squad of Brazil-born players Pepe, Deco and Liedson will be an intriguing subplot to the meeting between A Selecção das Quinas and A Seleção.

The outsiders
Côte d'Ivoire: The Ivorians proved themselves a force to be reckoned with at Germany 2006, when they gave Argentina and the Netherlands serious cause for concern in narrow defeats, before returning home on a high following a defeat of Serbia and Montenegro. The Elephants have, indubitably, come on leaps and bounds since. With the likes of Kolo Toure, his brother Yaya, Solomon Kalou and hulking forward Drogba they coasted through to South Africa 2010 without a single defeat and will look to cement their reputation as a formidable side by reaching the knockout phase.

Korea DPR: The Chollima caused a major shock simply by qualifying for South Africa. They will need a significantly bigger one to reach the Round of 16. Belying the odds is not, however, alien to the North Koreans, who pulled off one of the most colossal upsets in FIFA World Cup history by beating Italy 1-0 en route to the quarter-finals in 1966, where they lost 5-3 to Portugal in a thrilling game. Prolific forward Jong Tae-Se appears to be Korea DPR's best hope of stunning the football world once again.

The players to watch
Kaka (BRA), Luis Fabiano (BRA), Cristiano Ronaldo (POR), Liedson (POR), Didier Drogba (CIV), Jong Tae-Se (PRK)

The crunch match
Côte d'Ivoire-Portugal: Brazil will be expected to win Group G. Korea DPR will be the overwhelming favourites to finish bottom. Therefore, the section's opening game, between the Ivorians and the Portuguese at Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth, could well determine which of this pair advances and which suffers first-round elimination.

A look back
Brazil and Portugal have won one game apiece in their previous two meetings. The Europeans inflicted a first defeat upon Dunga as Seleção coach, winning 2-0 in London in February 2007, before Brazil beat their rivals 6-2 in a November 2008 thriller.

The stat
44 РThe number of years that will have passed, by the time South Africa 2010 kicks off, since Brazil last failed to progress beyond the first phase. A 3-1 defeat by Portugal in their final group game at England 1966 condemned A Sele̤̣o to an early exit.

The questions
Do you consider Group G to be the toughest pool? Which two teams will progress from it? Which players will illuminate it?

plugwater

Group H Analysis

Latin feel to Group H

Drawn alongside Spain, Chile and Honduras, Switzerland are the odd men out in a Group H with a distinctly Hispanic feel. The favourites to take top spot are unquestionably the European champions although the Spanish cannot afford to be complacent with the ambitious Chileans around. The South Americans will have designs on winning the group themselves, and despite a 12-year spell in the wilderness, Marcelo Bielsa's troops are being widely tipped to cause a sensation or two. Honduras and Switzerland may have slightly lower profiles but, as everyone knows, there are no pushovers at this level.

The favourites
Spain: The tag of European champions is no guarantee of success, as La Roja know only too well after fluffing their lines at the FIFA Confederations Cup 2009. The Spanish were absolutely flawless in reaching South Africa 2010, however, winning all ten of their qualifying matches. And given the fact that they have never lost to any of their three pool rivals, Vicente del Bosque's men have every reason to be confident about their hopes of progressing.

Chile: Under the tutelage of Argentinian coach Marcelo Bielsa, the Chileans were the revelations of the ever-demanding South American qualification group, finishing second overall, just a point behind Brazil, and well clear of the continent's other superpower, Argentina. Humberto Chupete Suazo ended the competition as top scorer and is now aiming to impress the rest of the world with his finishing skills.

The outsiders
Switzerland: Eliminated in the last 16 at Germany 2006, the Helvetians had to work hard on their way to South Africa, topping Greece by one point in a taxing group. German tactician Ottmar Hitzfeld has restored the faith of the Swiss support following the team's disappointing display on home soil at UEFA EURO 2008. With a posse of exciting youngsters set to burst on to the scene, this could be Switzerland's time.

Honduras: Catracho fans think the world of Colombian coach Reinaldo Rueda after he steered the Central Americans to only their second-ever FIFA World Cup finals appearance. The Hondurans claimed their place after a heart-stopping end to the qualification race, helping the country's people put their political problems momentarily to one side. The talented Wilson Palacios is just one of the players the fans will be banking on to impress, while veteran Carlos Pavon is intent on ending an exceptional international career in style. Winless at Spain 1982, Honduras have their sights set on putting the record straight.

The players to watch
Xavi (ESP), Andres Iniesta (ESP), David Villa (ESP), Humberto Suazo (CHI), Matias Fernandez (CHI), Alexis Sanchez (CHI), Wilson Palacios (HON), Carlos Pavon (HON), Alexandre Frei (SUI), Blaise Nkufo (SUI), Tranquillo Bernetta (SUI).

The crunch match
Chile-Honduras: This Latin American duel marks the return of both sides to the biggest stage of all and provides them with a chance to see if they can match the expectations their recent exploits have generated.

A look back
Spain 1-1 Honduras, 16 June 1982, Valencia.
Fate has thrown Honduras and Spain together again some 28 years after their first FIFA World Cup finals meeting. Spain 1982 was Los Catrachos' finals debut and the newcomers almost kicked off with a shock win against the tournament hosts. Hector Zelaya put the Central Americans into the lead after just seven minutes and it was not until well into the second half that Lopez Ufarte pulled the Spanish level from the penalty spot.

Did you know?
Switzerland's stars of tomorrow won the FIFA U-17 World Cup Nigeria 2009 last month, the first time that the central European nation has ever lifted a FIFA title. Just a few days after that historic achievement, the Swiss beach soccer team claimed the runners-up spot at Dubai 2009, continuing the country's amazing run of success. Will coach Hitzfeld turn to the nation's young heroes when he selects his squad for South Africa 2010?

The stat
0 - The number of times that Spain have lost to their Group H rivals. The Spaniards have recorded 15 wins and three draws against Switzerland, six wins and a draw against Chile and a solitary draw against Honduras.

The question
Who will take the spoils in the all-Roja battle between Spain and Chile on June 25?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles