197 Light Utility Helicopter Deal

Which is the Best Solution for Indian Army`s ULH requirement ?

• Total voters

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
wtf... lets see more confirmed reports.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Dhruv is a proven platform and its preform ace is lot better than all LUH is line..

Its time to realize that they need to make more Dhruvs in New production line..

Production not by HAL but with Private sector..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Getting a new production line with private takes lot lesser time to initiate RFI.. ;)

Immanuel

Country flag
I am glad this is cancelled, time for the LUH program to go into over drive, from prototyping to complete testing, can be done within 2 to 3 years and then we have something home made, More orders of Dhruv should also follow as well.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
one more Disaster with Pakistan or China Make Defence Acquisition beef up in Procuring and Developing Quiet some Speed ..Otherwise we can eat Bubble Gum till last Sweet

sob

Mod
Country flag
Dhruv is a proven platform and its preform ace is lot better than all LUH is line..

@Kunal Biswas: do we have figures for the service ceiling of Dhruv, to operate at Siachen.

Last edited by a moderator:

arya

Country flag
we are playing with nation security let pray to our enemy not to attack on us..

only we have human solider to die oh security guard as per our govt to die..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@sob

Unbeatable Dhruv Record >> 27,500 feet (8,400 m) ASL in Siachen

============================================

HAL Chetan >> 25,150 feet
HAL Cheetah >> 17,715 feet
HAL Chetak >> 10,500 feet

Foreign competitors >

Eurocopter AS350 >> 15,100 feet
Kamov Ka-226 >> 20,300 feet

======================================================

Dhruv is safe coz of two engine it has higher payload and higher service ceiling, It is operational Afaik 114 of them in Army aviation already..

Chetan is refurbished old helicopter chetak both are single engine and not safe, foreign competitor are not even close to Domestic helos in terms of performance, Chetan and all other should be simply replace by ALH and reduce complication and ease the logistics, IA have better ALH leave no space for other it is the most capable helicopter alone, there is no need for ULH in Indian Army..

@Kunal Biswas: do we have figures for the service ceiling of Dhruv, to operate at Siachen.

trackwhack

Absolutely. Its such a versatile and mature platform. We should simply scale base production line and then sub contract outfitting as per need.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
@Kunal Biswas when we have a proven platform and one that beats anything that foreign companies have to offer, why has the Army repeatedly tendered for foreign birds?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There are two reasons >>

1. One is the ULH concept that need to be re-studied in Indian context taking ALH into consideration and other factors, If not yet done..

2. As we know our system is very corrupt, Corruption can be very well be responsible for such unwanted purchase..

Army is primary user of ALH Dhruv and beyond satisfied with its capabilities almost in every role..

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I don't believe it. India can't be planning to scrap all LUH. So many pilots are dying already.

abingdonboy

Country flag
There are two reasons >>

1. One is the ULH concept that need to be re-studied in Indian context taking ALH into consideration and other factors, If not yet done..

2. As we know our system is very corrupt, Corruption can be very well be responsible for such unwanted purchase..

Army is primary user of ALH Dhruv and beyond satisfied with its capabilities almost in every role..
So replace all Cheetahs and Chetaks in IA and IAF service with ALHs?

It makes some sense.

But I highly doubt couruption is the reason behind this entire procurement.

The Indian forces have a seperate requirement for such a platform. If it was down to corruption then HAL wouldn't be devloping their own LUH- babus can make 0 off indigenious devlopment. HAL is responding to an open requirement of the IA/IAF and is responding with the LUH.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We will know Shortly, Till now its just from newspaper, We are yet to get official conformation.. :)

==========================================

Corruption is one of two probably reasons stated, You should read the first one also then the second, read rest of the posts too..

I know about all requirements and the current LUH fall short compare to older LUH ( Check the first page ), And all LUH fall short in capability so does logistics compare to ALH, HAL product will fall just like HTT-40, Its another waste of resource & time..

But I highly doubt couruption is the reason behind this entire procurement.The Indian forces have a seperate requirement for such a platform. If it was down to corruption then HAL wouldn't be devloping their own LUH- babus can make 0 off indigenious devlopment.

WMD

Livefist: India's 197 Copter Deal Suspended, Indefinitely.

Bad news for Eurocopter and Kamov. The Indian Army / Air Force joint reconnaissance & surveillance helicopter (RSH) acquisition programme -- for 197 helicopters all in flyaway condition -- has been indefinitely deferred. At a meeting of the country's Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) at the Defence Ministry today, it was decided, like it happens so often in India, that no decision would be taken just yet. The official reason recorded at the meeting was the absence of India's Army Chief, General Bikram Singh, currently in Japan on an official visit. The truth, of course, is somewhat different, and has been known for a while now.

Since an all-out cancellation would be too abrupt at this stage, my sources inform me that the deal is likely to languish without decision indefinitely. As I reported earlier, Eurocopter has refused to extend the validity of its commercial bid beyond March 31, 2013, leaving therefore very little time for "clear visibility" from the MoD. Plainly, it doesn't look good.

And with a federal investigation into India's acquisition of AgustaWestland AW101 executive transport helicopters announced yesterday, my sources tell me the collateral damage from the heat has only allowed the government to justify a non-decision on the light copter procurement. At any rate, it seems unlikely now that the government will make any major moves. Parliament reconvenes a week from now, and it promises to be (when is it not) full of righteous turbulence. I'll be looking out for politicians who see the irony, of course, in a deal for copters for politicians going bad, and ending up shafting a deal for copters for army soldiers at India's most hostile battlefields.

The Eurocopter AS 550 C3 Fennec and Kamov Ka-226T Sergei compete for a deal that could top $600-million, but appears now to be headed, once again, into oblivion. More here.

datguy79

I hate to be "that" guy, but if China tries something, India will be severely short on helicopters.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles