11/10/13: 10 Sikh Light Infantry officers and jawans clash, 3 injured

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: 11/10/13: 10 Sikh Light Infantry officers and jawans clash, 3 inju

Not every candidate has the mettle to clear NDA written exam (where maximum screenings happen). It has become much tougher in the last 5-6 years than it was in year 2000, when I appeared for it.

And, SSB has always been the toughest nut to crack. I was rejected 4 times consecutively (IIRC, April 2000, Sep 2000, April 2001 & Sep 2001) during the Conference on last date of SSB. Even, the majority of my batchmates who ultimately made it through, managed it in their last attempt at SSB (3rd or 4th). Despite this, few unlucky ones could not figure in the final merit list due to low score in written examination (while UPSC written exam was considered a cakewalk, then).

Now, those individuals who could not make it, completed their graduation halfheartedly & joined paramilitary forces as Asst. Commandants through CPF (only 3-4 appeared for CDS, joined IMA/OTA/Naval Academy). Some of those paramilitary guys went on to become IPS officers (through a recently launched direct entry scheme for Asst. & Dty. Commandants to make up for the impending shortfall in IPS cadre). Others have also made their mark in resp. fields.

So,NDA SSB is literally an Achilles heel for aspirants. Despite the allegations that standards have come down, it does not reflect in the % of SSB-recommended candidates (SSB only recommends for further medical examination).

The whole point is: The fact that several guys who cannot clear SSB have to settle for roles of Paramilitary/IPS officers or NSG-personnel (no less demanding & sometimes even more strenuous/lethal than Armed forces roles) alludes to the fact that either, the Armed forces officers are the best of the lot available (my personal belief), or else, it is all just a matter of chance.

If one can clear the SSB, chances are that he would become an Armed forces officer (Medical or merit list failures were rare, IIRC).
I personally am of the opinion that life is a game of LUCK!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles